Decade of the Dragons achievement

Alik.9651

18 achievements for non-pve players, I'd say completing them takes way longer than doing 10 pvp matches.

I wasn't super happy either I had to do them, took a friend and me 2 1/2 hours and we won 2/10. Did we have fun? No. Did we yell at each other? Yes. But we just went ahead and swallowed the bitter pill.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, xandrella.2953 said:

18 achievements for non-pve players, I'd say completing them takes way longer than doing 10 pvp matches.

I wasn't super happy either I had to do them, took a friend and me 2 1/2 hours and we won 2/10. Did we have fun? No. Did we yell at each other? Yes. But we just went ahead and swallowed the bitter pill.

I would hope doing 18 achievements takes longer than doing 1 singular achievement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Nope.

”It’d be nice to have some flexibility in the path we follow to rewards.”

Subtle difference, I know.

Nope, example of expectations presented by someone in this thread:

16 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Some part of me was wondering if the Proofs of Legend objectives would be repeatable.

So... I should be able to repeatedly spam OW bosses for the reward I want (...or bad design, duh).

Meanwhile: participate in more content to get more rewards. Celebration of the 10 years of the game aimed at including more of its content across the board that made it what it is, seems to be easly reasonable and even expected, based on what we've been told. First he was disappointed because it wasn't a leggy handout (yup), now he's disappointed because the achievements for the cape aren't repeatable. All I see is a rather strong entitlement.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

I used to play a lot of PvP but after I got my legendary armor set and the backpack I switched to WvW.

Today I played the first PvP match in two years and I realized again that PvP can be a lot of fun. So for me the achievement was a motivation to do PvP again. But of course, for others it is just another motivation to complain on the forums.

I don’t see PvP or WvW players crying that they have to do 18 open world achievements to get the cape. 

No. The forums is a place for feedback that Arena Net needs to hear. Unfortunately for them there are people like you who try to shout down feedback.

I'll spell it out really clearly:

PvP in this game is essentially dead. The community compared to PvE is miniscule.

When you are making a fun event for your decade anniversary - "tour the world of Guild Wars and get a cool cape skin" - maybe the achievement that takes the longest time in the journey to earn that cape should not be in the mode that players do not play. Players voted with their feet 10 years ago and continue to vote today. Why force them into a situation they clearly do not want to get that anniversary skin? And if you are going to force this on the playerbase, why not a more reasonable number of games or something not based on games at all? Why not 10 kills/assists? 

Obviously Arena Net can do this and they have. But decisions that force PvErs to play 10 PvP games breeds alienation and the more you alienate your playerbase the more players you lose. Arena Net should be looking to bring people into their game by making it a fun and enjoyable experience. An anniversary event should not be the place for a grind or challenging content. And you can see the intention with the other 19 achievements. All easily completable. All can be done very quickly. None actually require PvP interaction. 

Given the feedback they're getting in this thread maybe next time Arena Net will think about the next event they run and consider their options. Alienating your largest group of customers again and again seems like a poor business decision. This 10 year event and cape skin won't break the camels back by any means but if you keep adding content like this, don't be surprised when people vote with their feet again... except this time it won't be not playing sPvP, it will be not playing Guild Wars 2 at all.

And now I think I'm done because it's pointless to deal with people who sit on the forums all day shouting down any feedback.

• Like 8
  • Confused 11

1 hour ago, Booey Bubblehead.4890 said:

Why exclude custom PVP areanas.  We pay for them, why can't we use them for this (stupid) section of the decades...

Probably because it's an open community event and not your private reward grinding party. The goal here isn't for you to close yourself off in your own privatized corner to just silently rush to the reward.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shena Fu.5792 said:

PvP is a part of this game, whether you like it or not. So ANet has the duty to promote that part of the game.

Actually the worst part of this whole Decade achievement is that one must own all three expansions to complete. 

PvP being part of the game is fine, but they could have at least had more options for the players who don't want to join PvP because they don't enjoy it or because they don't want to go into a match and just do nothing ten times, ruining the fun for the PvP crowd.

Having Dungeon, Strike, and Fractal avenues to earn the Cape would have made just as much sense as having WvW and PvP avenues. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

18 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This event is pretty clearly about 10 years of the game and players revisiting zones/modes -not about killing the same world boss 20 times for a reward. Don't want to participate in it for a skin, then don't.

Game design has evolved to point to where we should not have to settle for such binary thinking. It's tone deaf on the devs part and shows a lack of awareness of how people engage with the game. It would be quite easy, for example, to require 20 of 25 different options for completion. Player agency is almost always a smart way to go. 

And, to be clear, I don't have an issue with pvp or wvw personally; this is is just an an unforced error in judgment. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 8

Problem with PvP is that you will most likely get badly insulted through whispers and reporting does absolutely nothing. I've played in two leagues a few years back and it was horrible. I still don't know why I did it daily. Maybe because I was burnt out with all other content and the game had nothing else to offer. Also the legendary backpack was nice. 
WvW however is also not that easy if you're having servers against you that are always resulting in yours getting the outnumbered buff constantly and being overrun by a zerg that rushes to every little thing that is happening on a map. 
It's nice at least that you don't need to do these two for the armor skins as you can just do 17 achievements (18 if your account isn't 10 years old). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Problem with PvP is that you will most likely get badly insulted through whispers and reporting does absolutely nothing. I've played in two leagues a few years back and it was horrible. I still don't know why I did it daily. Maybe because I was burnt out with all other content and the game had nothing else to offer. Also the legendary backpack was nice. 
WvW however is also not that easy if you're having servers against you that are always resulting in yours getting the outnumbered buff constantly and being overrun by a zerg that rushes to every little thing that is happening on a map. 
It's nice at least that you don't need to do these two for the armor skins as you can just do 17 achievements (18 if your account isn't 10 years old). 

I’ve almost completed Ascension and have never been insulted in a whisper.

33 minutes ago, Maltyrius.2961 said:

Game design has evolved to point to where we should not have to settle for such binary thinking. It's tone deaf on the devs part and shows a lack of awareness of how people engage with the game. It would be quite easy, for example, to require 20 of 25 different options for completion. Player agency is almost always a smart way to go. 

And, to be clear, I don't have an issue with pvp or wvw personally; this is is just an an unforced error in judgment. 

Ok, but: This event is pretty clearly about 10 years of the game and players revisiting zones/modes -not about killing the same world boss 20 times for a reward. Don't want to participate in it for a skin, then don't.

You think it's not about the 10 years of the game, but instead about replaying whatever you feel like, cool. It's still pretty clearly not what you're vouching for. Not only that, but a lot of the people on this forum that complain about this pvp achievement also complained about strikes and similar content. It's not exactly about "just make it to be whatever pve", it's "just make it what I keep replaying and load me up with new rewards". And, again, that's pretty clearly not the goal here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

I finished my first 10 matches of Ranked PvP today since my last one in 2018 and actually had fun (most of the time). Who knows? I might be playing an occasional match or two again in the future.😉

I would like to encourage people to overcome their fear of PvP and WvW. It might look scary to you, but that's just because you've never tried it (or didn't try it properly). For WvW, their are whole communities that will carry you until you can stand on your own two legs, and you might end up liking it and coming back (that's how it went for me some thousand ranks ago 😄). The 10 WvW events can easily be done without any player-vs-player interaction, by the way.

And you can have fun in PvP, too, even when your team loses.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Maltyrius.2961 said:

Tbh, the design of this is the worst for PvPers and WvWers, which is who I was most thinking of when I complained about it. If you are open world PvE player, 18/20 can be done in your preferred game mode. Which is annoying, but at least it's not that many objectives in a game mode you might hate. If you are PvPer or WvWer, 1/20 can be done in your preferred game mode.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, it may actually be worst if someone's preferred game mode is instanced PvE content. I know dragonstorm can count for shiverpeaks, so that's 1 if you consider dragonstorm to be part of instanced PvE. But other than that, I'm not sure.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

I don't like PvP at all and I'm not thrilled about having to do this but in the end it's not that big of a deal to me. PvP matches are pretty short and I just turn off my chat completely and appear offline so no one can message me and I don't see the toxicity.

Idk I guess it sucks to have to do a game mode you don't like for something you want but ultimately it's small potatoes. I know WvW and PvP players have had to do PvE stuff for unique rewards for most of the game's existence so I can suck it up and play 10 PvP matches lol. So I just go 'awww man that whomps, oh well' 

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Null Hypothesis.5374 said:

Yeah, not everybody appreciates being forced into PvP.  I don't understand why there aren't other options available. Please reconsider, Anet.  These are fun achievements, but PvP isn't for everybody

Not to mention those who enjoy PvP having to be forced to deal with a bunch of people who just join PvP to die and do nothing else. It's not fair to those players at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I do sympathise with the OP somewhat, having only 20 achievments and having to do 20 to complete the overall group is rather stingy on the part of Anet. It would be nice to have two or three extra achievments for people to choose from to complete the 20.

That said I've decided to take part in PvP for the first time since 2016, by doing two matches a day. So far I've won 3 out of 4 with a rather nasty condition build dagger/dagger Soulbeast (thank you Lord Hizen) and had a bit of fun watching Mechanists and Necromancers die a slow death. I've laughed in the face of thieves who have gone stabbity stab stab and then wondered why Im not dead and Soulbeasts who have tried to Rapid fire me to death with a similar non-dead result.

I might just get to like this 😂

Edit - Well I bit the bullet and just went for it. It was actually quite good fun, out of the 10 games I played I won (well the team did) 7 and lost 3. It was quite good fun.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Confused 1

I got three done before i had to just logoff from boredom. It's just so opposite to how I enjoy playing that it kills all enjoyment for me. I'll try to get one or two done tomorrow.

and I would be totally fine with pvpers being able to pvp for every achievement in the entire collection. why would I care? just let people do what they want to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

PvPers and WvWers, which is who I was most thinking of when I complained about it

Sure you did 😄 It's almost like you think you need to complain for others "just in case". WvW and PvP players don't seem to have issues with voicing their thoughts, no need to pretend you were thinking about them while complaining about non repeatable achievements. 🙄

10 minutes ago, Grishnaakh.2143 said:

Not to mention those who enjoy PvP having to be forced to deal with a bunch of people who just join PvP to die and do nothing else. It's not fair to those players at all.

Those players have higher mmr and can easly stick to ranked matches newer players can't even access.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4