The commander tag should be in different shapes

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It's a nice suggestion but the distinction of colors and regular/cat tags is adequate.  Also yeh they probably would make us pay another 300 gold.

Something that's been asked before that I would support even if it's another 300g:  Dogmander sets 🐶. It's only woof woof fair.

In addition, add a few enhancements and changes.

• Pop-up options for commander to accept/decline merging.
  • Small icons such as 1️⃣ 2️⃣3️⃣ for lieutenants. Very limited number per squad, maybe 2 or 3 only. Yes, we can use object markers but they're extremely inconvenient and buggy. Lieutenants has to be within range to place markers on them. And they will disappear at times for no apparent reason (without leaving map, logout, etc...just disappear).
  • Different color squad UI icon,for example: Commander 🟥, Lieutenant 🟨 and leave the rest the same 🟩
  • Those on Blocked list can't see your listing on LFG, see your commander icon in the Openworld or join your squad.
  • Black added to the list of colors

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'd prefer resources be spent elsewhere.

That's always your standard response to any suggestions. Why not come up with some useful suggestions instead of your less than useful same comment every single time someone post a suggestion/idea?

Resources spend where? If there's no new ideas, especially from players, resources will not be utilized. Idle resources are less than useful. Not all the staffs can or are capable of doing the same tasks such as fix bugs, arts & graphic designs, etc. Put these idle resources to good use instead.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

That's always your standard response to any suggestions. Why not come up with some useful suggestions instead of your less than useful same comment every single time someone post a suggestion/idea?

Resources spend where? If there's no new ideas, especially from players, resources will not be utilized. Idle resources are less than useful. Not all the staffs can or are capable of doing the same tasks such as fix bugs, arts & graphic designs, etc. Put these idle resources to good use instead.

I'm entitled to my opinion.  I believe Anet has finite, limited resources.  I would prefer them to be spent on something other than this request which, in my opinion, would not benefit a large enough population of the player base to justify spending those resources.

Idle resources?  Yeah, ANet has devs just sitting around waiting for suggestions like these.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Honestly in terms of game development, i imagine a change as simple as this could probably from a coding perspective, likely just literally be commissioning a jpeg design with a color layer that could be recolored with any colors.

We'd probably be talking a color fill with a line art overlay here, and then just changing the jpegs. Probably like literally 5-50$ of art assets without commercial bloat. It'd probably literally be a bigger concern about where to add the npc to sell it than the art unless it's like spaghetti coded so each commander acts differently etc. 

That said, i could see some decent areas like just making the icon a default part of like the commander tags, and allowing you to switch between modes with a little small 1 cm "v" like arrow to just change commander tags.

You could probably easily make one for ⚔️swords to attack, 🛡️a flat colored shield to defend, maybe a 💥colored explosion to mark metas / fights / champions, as well.

It shouldn't be too much labor, maybe bar, you could add a quick toggle to swap between the stances like /sword, /shield, /attack or a little toggle menu. But 300G for each would just be dumb imo. 

2 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

That's always your standard response to any suggestions.

It's just a way to say "I don't want this" while also heading off the response "Yeah, but other people do so why can't you let them have it?"

It makes "No" seem like it was carefully considered, and like the poster would love for you to have what you want, but you see, we've already eaten out twice this month and the family budget simply won't allow another trip to the Chinese Buffet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm entitled to my opinion.  I believe Anet has finite, limited resources.  I would prefer them to be spent on something other than this request which, in my opinion, would not benefit a large enough population of the player base to justify spending those resources.

Idle resources?  Yeah, ANet has devs just sitting around waiting for suggestions like these.  🙄

Sure you are entitled to your opinion. And you've used the exact same sentence on countless suggestions. So, come up with something that will benefit "a large enough population". Commander tags do benefit a huge population and my suggestion such as color UI and lieutenant tags will benefit a big squad in strategic plannings. And guess what? Commander tags are used by a very large population whether directly or indirectly

As for idle resources, I guess you don't read Dev posts where they stated they use idle resources while waiting for the next project to do some minor QoL tweaks.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I've always thought it was weird that commander tags were like, Tied not to ingame achievements like lvl 300 mastery, tied to basic raid group setup, but instead getting 300G which while not surmountable and a fair new player hurdle. Can easily be circumvented not by having raid experience but just like someone spending 300g to bankstand with a tag in lion's arch or arborstone just to show they spent 300g on a tag. The mentor tag is useful but to put features like squad sorting or allow people with a tag to hijack seems gw2 only design.

I remember seeing a strike and raid where the person was advertised to host a raid for content they wanted to try, and said they didn't have the ability to organize people in alacity or quickness groups(?), thus it was a raid without proper boons with 35 might but 20% alacity with 50% quickness and rng buffs, and it just fell apart into a disaster quickly.  Subgroups and ready checks are almost basic encounter design and as seen from steam release, It seems like mmorpg's audience either need to be sold on mmorpgs from a non experienced perspective (But they can buy the gold for 10$, skipping the skill based checks).

Or from other mmorpgs, where they might learn content but raids and strikes where squads are heavily needed can become boon disasters if someone tries to host without the ability to organize past self sorting. 

I think having more icons and rethinking 300g access to the tag, but instead perhaps multiple unlock methods, such as lvl 300 mastery, OR 30 completed raids OR 100 Completed strikes Or 300 completed metas while in a group or just unlocking it after 1000 hours in the game could be considerable. It's really such a basic feature and griffon already has a 250G gold sink and if they wanted to sell the basic tag for cheap, that'd be fine. People already turn gold into gemstore cosmetics all the time as well too. 

I would like to see some new tags made with careful consultation with people who are colorblind and any other issues such as that that make it harder to see tags on the map, and in general, try to make tag options that are both appealing to use (so they won't get ignored) and are better at being visually distinguishable. Catmander seems to be generally agreed to be better for being distinguishable than regular tag, but if you went for regular tag first, it's an extra cost and still fairly steep if you have many other things you want to be spending gold on. So it's something, but I would like to see options that are just provided for you, as long as you have regular or catmander unlocked.

I don't care much about how I look as a commander (tho I admit I do like red and orange colors most :P), but after reading hardstuck's article on colorblind commanding, now I'm often thinking about how to pick a color that will stand out for the map and the basic tags can kinda blend in, depending.

• Like 4

If they were, then I’d like to see something in keeping with the game. Maybe ones designed around each Elder Dragon or perhaps each of the three Order’s symbols.

Obviously they’d have to be simplified and visually readable in terms of accessibility

Edited by Randulf.7614

Oh yeah, taking a look at colorblind accessibility or color might be good. I think it'd been estimated like 4-8% of people can be colorblind to some extent, so if they're going for a casual crowd, just having some colorblind options to change each tag can be nice. Though as long as you know a tag is there, stuff like "Blue tag" and "red tag" are often used for map chats. Having more symbols like "sword symbol for event 1", and "Shield symbol for event 2" could also inadvertently maybe also help some issues, as well as colorblind support filter modes and color choices. 

24 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I would like to see some new tags made with careful consultation with people who are colorblind and any other issues such as that that make it harder to see tags on the map, and in general, try to make tag options that are both appealing to use (so they won't get ignored) and are better at being visually distinguishable. Catmander seems to be generally agreed to be better for being distinguishable than regular tag, but if you went for regular tag first, it's an extra cost and still fairly steep if you have many other things you want to be spending gold on. So it's something, but I would like to see options that are just provided for you, as long as you have regular or catmander unlocked.

I don't care much about how I look as a commander (tho I admit I do like red and orange colors most :P), but after reading hardstuck's article on colorblind commanding, now I'm often thinking about how to pick a color that will stand out for the map and the basic tags can kinda blend in, depending.

I can completely respect and appreciate the issues with color.  For those who have this issue, I would support different shapes, numbers, etc.  Good point!

41 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I would like to see some new tags made with careful consultation with people who are colorblind and any other issues such as that that make it harder to see tags on the map, and in general, try to make tag options that are both appealing to use (so they won't get ignored) and are better at being visually distinguishable.

Options for some sort of higher contrast, similar to cursor.

1 hour ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

I've always thought it was weird that commander tags were like, Tied not to ingame achievements like lvl 300 mastery, tied to basic raid group setup, but instead getting 300G which while not surmountable and a fair new player hurdle.

I think having more icons and rethinking 300g access to the tag, but instead perhaps multiple unlock methods, such as lvl 300 mastery, OR 30 completed raids OR 100 Completed strikes Or 300 completed metas while in a group or just unlocking it after 1000 hours in the game could be considerable.

Gold sinks are needed or eventually inflations will overwhelm the economy. With better mounts, skills, guides, etc., players are able to farm gold faster than ever. Also, having a new player hurdle such as gold sinks will require them to be more experienced (although it can be bought with cash).

There should have been more unlock methods but unfortunately, it's a little too late. You will be penalizing new commander-to-be for doing the same thing an existing commander can do. However, I do think any new upgrades should involved suggestions such as yours - a certain number of meta, strike or raid participation respectively to command and use any new added functions in those events. This will incentivize players to be familiar with those game modes somewhat.

The problem with making them all different shapes is then it's not necessarily clear they're all Commander tags. Right now there's 3 shapes for new players to learn (commander, catmander, mentor) and 2 of those are quite similar. If there were a whole load more and specific uses for each one it makes it more complicated for new players to learn what they mean. 

Also in WvW the same commander will frequently go between attacking, defending, scouting, ambushing enemy groups etc and having to remember to change the tag each time sounds annoying.

I'm sure it could be done and might sometimes be useful, but it seems like a lot of hassle to solve something which is not a problem now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Sure you are entitled to your opinion. And you've used the exact same sentence on countless suggestions. So, come up with something that will benefit "a large enough population". Commander tags do benefit a huge population and my suggestion such as color UI and lieutenant tags will benefit a big squad in strategic plannings. And guess what? Commander tags are used by a very large population whether directly or indirectly

As for idle resources, I guess you don't read Dev posts where they stated they use idle resources while waiting for the next project to do some minor QoL tweaks.

Why do I need to come up with any suggestions at all?  I find the game is working well enough for me that suggestions like this one aren't necessary which is why I would prefer resources be spent elsewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

I've seen them say this once, recently, in regards to one "idle" period. Specifically some changes like the reinforce armor change.

As to the rest, yes many people do use commander tags. That does not mean that a change from what we have would be an improvement. It is not the responsibility of those who disagree with an idea to provide a counter suggestion. This is particularly the case if they prefer the status quo.

All of that said, new shapes for the commander tag could be a nice gold sink and I would personally love class/spec icons as commander tags. This is the sort of thing that could also be monetized. I could also see such a class tag be unlocked as part of an achievement (complete all 3 expansions on the relevant class) or something of the sort. I see something like this as ideal for a lengthy achievement or monetization (or both) because I think it would be simultaneously desirable and minor/non game affecting.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I've seen them say this once, recently, in regards to one "idle" period. Specifically some changes like the reinforce armor change.

As to the rest, yes many people do use commander tags. That does not mean that a change from what we have would be an improvement. It is not the responsibility of those who disagree with an idea to provide a counter suggestion. This is particularly the case if they prefer the status quo.

We are all brainstorming to come up with ideas to make this game better. And we discuss it on forum to refine them and hopefully if they are good, will catch the eyes of the Devs. The problem I have with that poster is ever since I started frequented this forum (Been playing lots longer than my joined date on forum. Only browsed for info/update news), that's always the same comment to most suggestions: I would prefer resources be spent elsewhere. No reason why it's good or bad. No other input. If someone disagree, at least make an effort to say why it's bad instead of posting just to boost their forum post counts.

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why do I need to come up with any suggestions at all?  I find the game is working well enough for me that suggestions like this one aren't necessary which is why I would prefer resources be spent elsewhere.  

Well, they are many things that can be improve upon. Any ideas, even bad ones may lead to something good through discussions. That is why we presented them. Why do you even bother to read and reply to suggestions with your stock answer if you find the game working well enough? And will disagree with every single one of them?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

I would prefer resources be spent elsewhere.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion on a matter. To be clear, where did he say it was a bad suggestion? There is a massive difference between his statement acknowledging that there are more ways that resources can be spent than there are resources (and this one is not top of his list)...and saying that the idea is bad.

There are all sorts of ideas that I think would be cool to see in game if there were infinite resources to allocate, but which I oppose because I would rather see something else get that time and money instead. Remember, ordering strawberry ice cream at the local shop is not the same as saying chocolate is bad.

• Like 1