Elves, flying Rainbow Kitties, Top Gun sunnies ... yet no Horse mount skin?!

Ashantara.8731

2 minutes ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

Of all the fantastical creatures that can exist in a high fantasy universe like Tyria, why in the world does anyone want a dumb horse?

More in-game creatures as mounts would be fantastic, though. The Sand Lion jackal, the Balthazar Hound, the Mordrem Wolf, the Kirin, are all great starts. I guess you can argue the Nian warclaws are lore appropriate too as they were a creature in GW1 and are depicted in Cantha with the exact same model. Still hoping for Sylvari Fern Hound as a jackal skin someday.

Guess it's like some people enjoy vanilla...it's basic but it's good and reliable.  While I would not purchase a horse, I will sigh heavily and concede some vanilla humans would look respectable on a horse.  Can at least be a fantastic horse with a flowing mane and feathered hooves?  Bad enough when my charr rides on the cow pal.  I look like I'm riding my own bbq dinner.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

So at this monent there are no horses on tyria anymore I guess the Charr ate them all.

Which is completely false as we have a few Seraph directly reference horses. As do Ogres when describing taming a beast.

There are no horses ingame, but Horses very, very explicitly exist in Tyria.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

31 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Bad enough when my charr rides on the cow pal.  I look like I'm riding my own bbq dinner.

My Norn rides the Aurochs too actually, since it's one of the few jackals that looks like it could handle a giant northern hunter like him and not snap its back. xD

Dolyak skins would be kinda neat too, like the shorthaired Elonian dolyaks or the big fluffy boys from mainland Tyria. Oh! Or Shadavars. Come on, they're basically camels with a cool hairdo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

My Norn rides the Aurochs too actually, since it's one of the few jackals that looks like it could handle a giant northern hunter like him and not snap its back. xD

Dolyak skins would be kinda neat too, like the shorthaired Elonian dolyaks or the big fluffy boys from mainland Tyria. Oh! Or Shadavars. Come on, they're basically camels with a cool hairdo.

Marmox are noted to be mounts/pack animals as well.

12 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Exist? or Exist-ed? 

Existed as of five years before the personal story begins - in one of the novels (Edge of Destiny), Logan, Caithe, and Rytlock are looking through a malfunctioning asura gate and see a herd of horses running free on grassy plains. The fact that no one reacts in alarm or wonder indicates that horses aren't extinct in Tyria, nor even all that uncommon.

So unless horses were completely wiped out between Edge of Destiny and the start of the personal story (as Kalavier mentions, NPCs in vanilla zones talk about horses), they do still exist.

I'd love it if we got a horse skin - probably for the jackal, or warclaw maybe.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

Existed as of five years before the personal story begins - in one of the novels (Edge of Destiny), Logan, Caithe, and Rytlock are looking through a malfunctioning asura gate and see a herd of horses running free on grassy plains. The fact that no one reacts in alarm or wonder indicates that horses aren't extinct in Tyria, nor even all that uncommon.

So unless horses were completely wiped out between Edge of Destiny and the start of the personal story (as Kalavier mentions, NPCs in vanilla zones talk about horses), they do still exist.

I'd love it if we got a horse skin - probably for the jackal, or warclaw maybe.

Well they do have centaurs maybe Logan, Caithe and Rythlock just thoought those centaurs just had a wierd upper body shape.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well they do have centaurs maybe Logan, Caithe and Rythlock just thoought those centaurs just had a wierd upper body shape.

The Modniir are the big ones that look like draft horses, and they've got tempers that match their size. Their main base is off Kingsgate. They're the engines behind the inexorable centaur advance.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forward_Scout_Greta

No, it's very explicit that horses exist from ponies to draft horses. They were not in the game at launch because anet didn't want to deal with endless "THERE IS HORSE RIGHT THERE CAN I HAS MOUNT?"

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forward_Scout_Greta

No, it's very explicit that horses exist from ponies to draft horses. They were not in the game at launch because anet didn't want to deal with endless "THERE IS HORSE RIGHT THERE CAN I HAS MOUNT?"

Well since humans are implanted into tyria they can have passed down stories about said horses over the years and that is were this scout greta got her referense.

We dont really know.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well since humans are implanted into tyria they can have passed down stories about said horses over the years and that is were this scout greta got her referense.

We dont really know.

Completely ignoring that Edge of Destiny novel directly talks about horses, the several other references ingame (including Ogres talking about how to tame a wild, ill-tempered horse) to horses, and actual GW history events with horses ranging from Saul being ridden out to the edge of kryta (where he met the Mursaat), the one Canthan emperor dying due to a horse-riding related accident, etc.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Completely ignoring that Edge of Destiny novel directly talks about horses, the several other references ingame (including Ogres talking about how to tame a wild, ill-tempered horse) to horses, and actual GW history events with horses ranging from Saul being ridden out to the edge of kryta (where he met the Mursaat), the one Canthan emperor dying due to a horse-riding related accident, etc.

Well to be fair all that can be mesmer illusions to trick everyone into thinking there are horses around.

Only horse we have seen is the skritt one during lunar new year.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Horse_(racer)

Are we talking the raid boss Saul here why would anyone ride a human?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well to be fair all that can be mesmer illusions to trick everyone into thinking there are horses around.

Only horse we have seen is the skritt one during lunar new year.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Horse_(racer)

Are we talking the raid boss Saul here why would anyone ride a human?

Completely missing the point. Yes, the Saul that founded the white mantle was rode (as in, they slapped him on a horse) and took him to the edge of Kryta were they dumped him off.

If horses didn't exist, how would Mesmers convince people there are horses?

Also, mesmer illusions are not solid. The moment somebody goes to ride a horse, they fall on their face.

"The only horse we've seen" because you are completely ignoring the fact Anet has chosen to not have horses ingame when GW2 launched. You can find horseshoe prints in queensdale, and other references.

I assume you are also doubtful that Tyria has toilets either? We've never seen a toilet or anybody going to one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Completely missing the point. Yes, the Saul that founded the white mantle was rode (as in, they slapped him on a horse) and took him to the edge of Kryta were they dumped him off.

If horses didn't exist, how would Mesmers convince people there are horses?

Also, mesmer illusions are not solid. The moment somebody goes to ride a horse, they fall on their face.

"The only horse we've seen" because you are completely ignoring the fact Anet has chosen to not have horses ingame when GW2 launched. You can find horseshoe prints in queensdale, and other references.

I assume you are also doubtful that Tyria has toilets either? We've never seen a toilet or anybody going to one.

Yea because centaurs totaly dont have shoes and could have left those prints?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A Mr. Gum Drops "skin"  could be fun.  Perhaps Mad King Thorn will let him visit Tyria for awhile.  Or would a bunch of people straddling apparently empty air look too odd?

Sigh, perhaps not, some people would get entirely too bothered when an invisible mount is combined with a PC wearing a skirt. 
Prudes are why we can't have interesting things.

Then again if only Mr. Gum Drops himself is invisible the saddle we put on him would be totally visible.  so we could have invisible horses and avoid upskirt views.
eh whatever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea because centaurs totaly dont have shoes and could have left those prints?

Because centaurs decide to hang out around stables?

If horses don't exist, then why are centaurs called Horse-men? There is nothing to compare them to if so. Why do npcs directly talk about horses, from humans to ogres?

If a pony isn't a real thing, then how can you insult a centaur by calling it a pony?

Now, the fun thing is a Tyrian horse may not exactly look like a RL horse, it could have horns or something like the undead horses from gw1, but overall appear to be horses besides that fact. https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/d6/Zombie_Horseman.jpg

Though they could also easily be regular horses, as there are plenty of concept arts of normal horses for GW2.

1 hour ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

You could just concede that there really are horses in canon, and say you don't want them to get horses....

It's not like anet is likely to grant their wish, since anet avoids 'ordinary' like the plague

This is entirely the truth. Horses exist in canon, explicitly and completely. They still exist as of GW2, they simply aren't ingame.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Anet likely will not ever flat out say that they never intend to add content.  They did that with mounts, and then eventually made perhaps the best mount system in modern mmos.  
If they say X will never be in game, then folks who want X may quit.  However, if Anet never says one way or the other then folks who want X keep hope and may hang around for years.

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Anet likely will not ever flat out say that they never intend to add content.  They did that with mounts, and then eventually made perhaps the best mount system in modern mmos.  
If they say X will never be in game, then folks who want X may quit.  However, if Anet never says one way or the other then folks who want X keep hope and may hang around for years.

They never said they would not add mounts, what they did say there will be no mounts at release of gw2 in 2012.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Ashantara.8731 changed the title to Elves, flying rainbow Kitties, Top Gun sunnies ... yet no Horse mount skin?!
On 9/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Freya.9075 said:

Well. tyria is getting ready for Halloween. Perhaps some races want to dress up as phlunt 👀 gotta get them ears right 

LOL! 😅 Neither Phlunt nor any other Asura has elvish ears. 😉 But nice try. 😋

This game is full of lore- and immersion-breaking skins. People are

• wearing t-shirts, blue jeans, white sneakers, sunglasses, mini skirts,
  • dressing in futuristic cyberpunk gear,
  • now able to cosplay Elves,
  • using furry rainbow kitties for jade-bots,
  • riding tons of beasts that are not present in Tyria's fauna nor lore,

... yet we are denied a simple Horse mount skin

and are instead stuck with a horrendous lab accident of a unicorn/pegasus/griffon mix and a fluffy Kirin?

C'mon, ArenaNet -- have a heart! 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1