Yet another gyro change scrapper post

LtBeard.4539

I read the changes to gyros and simply don't want to play anymore.

I got the game when it came out 10 years ago. I had my fun for a bit but after my friends left I stopped playing as well. Cut to a few months ago, I randomly think about GW2 again, I look up what's new, I get hyped and I come back. I buy all the expansions, the living world content, I boost a necro, make it a reaper, and I start my personal story. I get a bit into it, but realize it's not quite for me.

I check out the other professions, see Scrapper for Engineer, and I love it. It's not the best, but the hammer is cool, I love the moveset, love the gyros, love the quickness mobility power theme.

I go through the story, the map completion, everything. I happen to come back when it's the 10 year anniversary and I enjoy the benefits of that as well. I join a guild, make some acquaintances. I start considering buying stuff on the gem store, too. I'm ready to fully get into the game.

Cut to now, and I see the gyro changes. All my drive to play is gone. I just simply don't want to play anymore. I know that shortly, Scrapper gameplay will be garbage. I won't enjoy it. Even if the numbers were off the charts and standing in a stationary gyro made you an invincible all-powerful one-shotting god, I would hate the feeling of it. "Here, have a profession centered around quickness and mobility, and also here's a feature that makes you stand in one spot or it's useless. It's also something every other profession has! It's not unique in any way, whatsoever!"

There's no point in continuing, I know I'm going to dislike playing Scrapper once these changes are applied, and I don't want to go through the map completion and story yet again after doing it on Reaper then Scrapper and then whatever third profession I start, if I even like any of them as much as current Scrapper in the first place.

The logic behind this change just doesn't make sense. In any way. It's just bad and lazy. They could have changed any number of things. Number of targets affected, number of pulses, AoE size, duration of the gyro, duration of the boon, strength of the boon, cooldown, etc. Instead, we get this. Garbage. I know the profession is called Scrapper but that doesn't mean our mechanics have to be the scraps left over from everyone else too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

I feel u. 

I have been playing a while and really enjoy scrapper.

Maybe a build without gyro will be only way to play. IDK. 

Just made a half decent scrapper pvp build before patch notes dps hammer build. Probably won't work after though.

I guess only thing to do is wait for patch to drop. See if any additional changes happen and see what build you can come up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bishop.5938 said:

I feel u. 

I have been playing a while and really enjoy scrapper.

Maybe a build without gyro will be only way to play. IDK. 

Just made a half decent scrapper pvp build before patch notes dps hammer build. Probably won't work after though.

I guess only thing to do is wait for patch to drop. See if any additional changes happen and see what build you can come up with.

Even if you build without gyro, you’ll no longer get quickness with super speed.  So your heal, it’s toolbelt and the function gyro won’t give any quick….as well as gyro of course.  They killed the mobile scrapper 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a player returning after a near-decade hiatus. I came back because I could play the game fairly well on Steam Deck. That was mostly because of how gyros work with Scrapper.

I'm not a big PvP guy. I'm primarily running through the content I have (somehow I had PoF and HoT from some sale forever ago) and just find the neat things with Scrapper fun to play on my Deck. If I have to try and position AoEs with the Deck, it's clunky at best and becomes unfun. Occasionally I play Holo since it's the only other spec I have that's fun and somewhat useful but it just isn't as satisfying as clunking opponents over the head with a wrench.

If anyone in ANet reads this, understand that a lot of your new and returning players don't care about PvP aspects of the game. Don't make fundamental changes that ruins the accessibility of certain playstyles just to placate one mode. If I want that I'll go back to WoW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Already moved on to different games. I nearly quit after they killed impact savant, but at least that didn't affect playstyle too much. It made the barrier next to useless in OW since your DPS is generally capped at around ~10-15k when you're really pumping. Meaning you only generate anywhere from 500-750 barrier per second when really tryharding. Mobs are going to chew through that like butter. 

I went from feeling like a true juggernaut to feeling like any other basic glass canon. My catalyst felt tankier with its damage reduction, magnetic aura, shocking aura, protection, resolution, resistance, sustain, and far better synergy with tankier stat sets. 

Nontheless, fluid playstyle of scrapper was still  intact, even if the defense was neutered, so I perservered. 

This however, is the straw that breaks the camels back. This isn't about being unable to adapt to change. This is about how a build feels to play, and I've played enough chrono and enough necro to know how garbage stationary wells feel to play with. 

Scrapper is what keeps me wanting to log into this game day by day. If its mobile playstyle gets deleted for the sake of one niche of one game mode, then it's time I find that fun elsewhere. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Already moved on to different games. I nearly quit after they killed impact savant, but at least that didn't affect playstyle too much. It made the barrier next to useless in OW since your DPS is generally capped at around ~10-15k when you're really pumping. Meaning you only generate anywhere from 500-750 barrier per second when really tryharding. Mobs are going to chew through that like butter. 

I went from feeling like a true juggernaut to feeling like any other basic glass canon. My catalyst felt tankier with its damage reduction, magnetic aura, shocking aura, protection, resolution, resistance, sustain, and far better synergy with tankier stat sets. 

Nontheless, fluid playstyle of scrapper was still  intact, even if the defense was neutered, so I perservered. 

This however, is the straw that breaks the camels back. This isn't about being unable to adapt to change. This is about how a build feels to play, and I've played enough chrono and enough necro to know how garbage stationary wells feel to play with. 

Scrapper is what keeps me wanting to log into this game day by day. If its mobile playstyle gets deleted for the sake of one niche of one game mode, then it's time I find that fun elsewhere. 

Another MMO caught your eye, or just switching to other genres alltogether?

1 minute ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Another MMO caught your eye, or just switching to other genres alltogether?

Most likely going back to competitive smash bros. I've made a lot of lifelong friends from smash, and it's one of those games you can get lost in for hours just theory crafting, labbing, and optimizing. It also fills that PvP itch I've been missing since Feb 2020. 

A lot of my mindset towards PvP I've taken from that community, including the desire to adapt to things and learn as much about them before labeling them OP and asking for nerfs... Which naturally led to a lot of headbutting with other PvPers who do not share that sentiment and think I'm just defending the OP stuff so I can abuse it. 

Bit off topic, but it's something I'll enjoy going back to. 

• Like 1

Okay I'm not gonna be overly dramatic and claim I'm leaving the game over this (100% most ppl who say that are just saying that or will for a week and come back I've been that guy too lol 🙂 BUT I get the frustration it certainly makes me WANT to. I'll certainly likely not play scrapper support anymore. And it's not the nerf; because I'm a scrapper WvW main and boy look it needed balancing. So other supports/condi etc. mattered more. BUT... changing how the unique wells of engi works isn't the way. On one hand, 900 range targeting wells that pulses immediately DOES have advantages esp in smaller scale fights, if ppl think it doesn't ppl don't actually play HOWEVER that's not the point/what people are angry about even IF it was a secret buff ppl are upset because of changing a fundamental play-style/theme of scrapper in ALL modes. If they made gyros less effective/heck even took away quickness as they did and made only Stealth gyro ground target I'd be totally fine with it. I didn't love playing support scrapper for the OPness I loved scrapper for the mobile bruiser support style of play. It was smooth, not clunky, fast paced, intense. Being around you at all times did NOT make it less tactical, but more practical and FUN. That's why ppl enjoy scrapper.

There's no uniqueness now with their "wells". I don't want to have to stop n think because of targeting from lag/movement etc. n pull my hair out. It's not the playstyle I want. That's what makes me annoyed. Yeah yeah ppl will say adapt blah blah even if scrapper gyros are good/meta I still prob won't play it as much. BUT will see what they do.

Edited by EriskRedLemur.7153
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Most likely going back to competitive smash bros. I've made a lot of lifelong friends from smash, and it's one of those games you can get lost in for hours just theory crafting, labbing, and optimizing. It also fills that PvP itch I've been missing since Feb 2020. 

Ah, thats fair. Yeah tbh its hard for any games PvP to match the hype of playing a good fighting game. My poison's BlazBlue, but Smash is a game I do enjoy watching at least. 

3 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

A lot of my mindset towards PvP I've taken from that community, including the desire to adapt to things and learn as much about them before labeling them OP and asking for nerfs... Which naturally led to a lot of headbutting with other PvPers who do not share that sentiment and think I'm just defending the OP stuff so I can abuse it. 

Bit off topic, but it's something I'll enjoy going back to. 

Eh, its not an uncommon mindset in fighting games too. Especially now in a post-patch era, see Strive for example. To some degree I get it, playing Millia vs some of the top tiers is absolute hell, but at the same time sometimes the most random things get called out for nerfs. 

I do wish there was another MMO with good PvP. I like the PvP in GW2, but Im not too happy with the balance since february 2020. Just doesnt feel fun anymore.

• Like 1

Well, if they're dead set on this, at least Herald's an alternative.

You give (more) boons through your facets and your Quickness "effectively" moves with you as they activate on top of you.

If you wanna protest the change on the PvE side, just roll one and retire your Scrappers for one of the other Engi specs I guess.

• Like 1

Same here. I honestly regret buying EoD now. I have been playing for around 5 years. Always engi. Started with turrets and loved them, in PvE. Maybe a year ago I started playing WvW and turrets had to go. Tried many engi meta builds for WvW and finally, after many changes and frustrations I set up a build (and key binds and got a mouse with extra buttons too) that works for me in WvW and PvE. It is not meta, it is not stellar, but I can play it with action camera and I have a lot of fun with it. So much fun that I even started crafting legendary items for it.

And now this.

Had I known these changes earlier I would have not bought EoD because it is very unlikely I will dedicate the same amount of time and effort to a new character. There are few options that use medium armor and even fewer that use medium armor and hammer. Not to mention having to do everything again, discover all maps, complete all seasons, all hero points.... I know many people do that all the time but it is not fun for me. Specially since now I know that at any time my new character could be rendered useless for me and there will be nothing I could do about it.

I will try the new scrapper of course. But I am pretty sure it will only be ok for zerg play in WvW and useless for solo play. Not to mention how hard or easy it will be for me to use it with action camera.

• Like 3

I mained scrapper in all game modes back when gyros were gyros. Yeah they has pathing issues from time to time however they were great. in 1 fell swoop they removed the lightning field upon destruction of the gyro, nerfed the hammer and other things. As of that moment I couldnt play my scrapper the same way, despite the number of times I have tried.

Another shot now aimed at gyros/wells...another overhaul and more scrappers are taking notice. I sincerely hope these changes pan out, however I also hoped the OG gyro nerf would have as well however it did not (for me anyway)

Good luck scrappers, hope things work out.