Cantha fashion items

tim.4596

Kimono, Hakama, Juunihitoe, and similar Asian clothes don't work too well with how armour skins attach to the characters in this game.

And since these would have to be outfits, I have to agree with lokh.2695.

However, I wouldn't mind Arenanet taking GW1 armour skins and making them GW2 armour skins. Among others, I'd have liked to see the normal and elite Canthan Assassin armour sets, normal Luxon Elementalist set and the normal and elite Kurzick Monk armour sets.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PinkTacoLover.7603 said:

The armor is the actual 3d model unless they did again something weird like putting an another model over the character model 😂

Medium armour has different attach points to their body type than light and heavy armour.

That's the reason why medium armour mostly gets long coats for their chest armour and why armour skins, that should be the same on all three armour weight, get split differently for medium armour.

That's the primary reason why we can't mix pieces of different armour weights and also why Arenanet opted to making a fourth body type for outfits.

Given that many of the prominent Asian clothes (which Westerners usually think of when they think of Asian clothes) are long, they wouldn't fit well with the light and Heavy armour attach points. Thus, they would become outfits, if Arenanet ever decided to make them outfits, which I'd rather not see Arenanet spend too many resources on outfits.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Medium armour has different attach points to their body type than light and heavy armour.

That's the reason why medium armour mostly gets long coats for their chest armour and why armour skins, that should be the same on all three armour weight, get split differently for medium armour.

That's the primary reason why we can't mix pieces of different armour weights and also why Arenanet opted to making a fourth body type for outfits.

Given that many of the prominent Asian clothes (which Westerners usually think of when they think of Asian clothes) are long, they wouldn't fit well with the light and Heavy armour attach points. Thus, they would become outfits, if Arenanet ever decided to make them outfits, which I'd rather not see Arenanet spend too many resources on outfits.

They could take the approach they did with the Bear set in IBS: attach the hangy parts to the legs for heavy and light, and to the torso for medium.

Or make separate sets for light, medium, and heavy. If the hints pointing to Raisu Palace bear fruit, that'd be a great opportunity to reintroduce sets based on the Elite Canthan armour from Factions.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, Silent.6137 said:

Do we need armor skins for that?

That doesn't load but if you're linking lewd female armor liek the raven pants that leave their butt and crotch hanging out but use an unfinished MSpaint texture with the transparency done incorrectly on males then keep in mind I'm a male character.

Edited by Doggie.3184

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Plus the 4/5 armour sets for each profession introduced in EoD.

3-5, depending on whether you count the ancient sets as separate, and the monastery set is also identical for each armour weight.

YMMV, but in my opinion, most of the EoD sets are also fairly disappointing, especially considering what they cost (if you don't get them from PvP armour boxes) and how late they are in the game. Compare what you get from the links from here compared to elite Canthan or Luxon from GW1.

Thank you for your comments guys. I notice I didn't give much explanation in my original post.

First of there are different kind of Kimono, and each have unique features. The most common ones that people usually pictures are the Furisode (Luxury silk Kimono worn by Geisha), and Yukata (Summer cotton Kimono worn at festivals). I can't give a full explanation of all the different kinds of kimono the list is long, extensive, and the differentiation are subtile but important, so it's best if you look up "different Japanese kimono type on Google" if you're interested.

Second there is the integration of Kimono's in the game. Different types of Kimono would be worn at different places, and people of different ranks would wear different of Kimono's. I haven't had time to look for too many articles, I came across this PhD thesis which I believe gives a good introduction on Kimonos. How they are perceived by Japanese, and when you're most likely to see people wearing Kimono. 

Last, Guild Wars 2 being a video game, they have the ability to make those piece of clothing really popup as compared to real life. They can appear more voluminous than they really are, and have each layer of cloth be more distinct. I think a lot of TV anime do a really good job, at making Kimono look good on virtual characters.

I don't like giving bad feedback on the game, I'm sure the Anet developer team is doing their absolute best to create content for the game. But lately, the game seems to be going in all kind of direction and nowhere at the same time. As of today, the latest weekly gemstone item release was the "Frost Blossom Staff". Sure it's nice but I fail to understand how this falls under the Cantha theme, or that particular skin is being released right now. The previous black lion weapon collection sure look more asian themed then others but they are way too wide, and look Chinese rather than Japanese. Subtle and Elegant design prime in Japan. The current weapons have to many ornaments.

I think the best course of action would be to hire Japanese freelance video game cloth designer, they must exist. And have them design a set of in-game clothes for Cantha, otherwise you're most likely going to miss on some subtilities.

Edited by tim.4596
link didn't work

On 9/25/2022 at 9:39 PM, Doggie.3184 said:

Where's the Hot Springs armor skins? It just isn't an Asian themed expansion without a Hot Springs episode.

That will be the first season 6 episode. The gang goes to hot springs and commander tries too take a look at undressed Dragon's Watch 😏 Episode will also include a tower wrapped around waist outfit 😏 

• Haha 2