why is there no solo end-game content?

RagiNagi.1802

15 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Doing content designed for groups of 5+ solo is not fun mechanically imo.

So true. In case of dungeons you have to research which you can even solo or give up halve way through because you get softlocked by 2+ player mechanics. I just wish there were some place in the game that uses they vast amount of skills, mobility and gear option we have access to. WvW roaming and PvP is a fine outlet, but I think it is a shame we don't have a real PvE outlet for all we can do.

Raids and Strikes are kind of "solved" and center much on being a blob and executing a Rotation while doing mechanics.

I am also starving for a challenge I can sink my teeth in, with the engine we have without grieving 4-9 other people. There is so much potential in the game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Personally i see no problem with introducing such a content, i'm just not sure about its potential popularity - somehow i doubt it would be very high. I might be mistaken, though.

I think it would be pretty high.  There are plenty of popular difficult one player games (way more popular than GW2 in fact).  I think a lot of players would be happy to not only get their single player challenge kicks from a game they already enjoy and understand, but also to feel rewarded in that game for their time.  Heck, it could even attract more players - a lot of the responses in this thread seem to suggest that this would be thought of as some kind of revolutionary idea for an MMO, which is exactly how GW2 marketed itself to begin with.

I think they could test it fairly easily by just introducing some easy to implement options to test the water.  e.g. Strike missions, which are already designed to work 1 player from story, and also designed with scaleable mechanics from challenge mode.  They could also take the even easier option and just introduce scaling for soloable dungeons - which isn't really headline content any more (maybe add a mote at the beginning for people to turn that off for speedrunning/challenge purposes).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think it would be pretty high.  There are plenty of popular difficult one player games (way more popular than GW2 in fact).  I think a lot of players would be happy to not only get their single player challenge kicks from a game they already enjoy and understand, but also to feel rewarded in that game for their time.  Heck, it could even attract more players - a lot of the responses in this thread seem to suggest that this would be thought of as some kind of revolutionary idea for an MMO, which is exactly how GW2 marketed itself to begin with.

I think they could test it fairly easily by just introducing some easy to implement options to test the water.  e.g. Strike missions, which are already designed to work 1 player from story, and also designed with scaleable mechanics from challenge mode.  They could also take the even easier option and just introduce scaling for soloable dungeons - which isn't really headline content any more (maybe add a mote at the beginning for people to turn that off for speedrunning/challenge purposes).

They already tested it once with the Queen's Gauntlet. And Liadri wasn't exactly popular.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They already tested it once with the Queen's Gauntlet. And Liadri wasn't exactly popular.

There are a few things with Liadri:

1) She got a lot of attention.  Yes, obviously you will get vocal complaints on hard content, but "popular" is a very open to interpretation thing.

2) The Queen's Gauntlet is horrible for accessibility.  Poorly advertised, hard to find if you don't know where to go, gated on tickets, bad rewards, for some reason has a queuing system...

3) The content I think they should make solo is content that is already available for groups.  This means two things for the players who struggle (i) They probably actually need to learn mechanics and how builds work, so would also struggle in a group (possibly with more toxic consequences (ii) if they don't like the solo option, the group option is already there.

That said, yes the Queen's Gauntlet should give some data on whether people will do solo content (though I really wouldn't use anything aside from the first year, as there's so little attention given to it now 😞 ).

• Confused 4

44 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well everything that is challenging and has any kind of exclusive reward no matter how tiny is hated by a loud portion on the internet. Doesn't mean it is unpopular. It has a 12% completion rate. For a Challenging fight that is only doable in a specific time frame that seems pretty popular. City of gold(100 times tarir) sits at 8% and Citadel crasher(10 times drizzle wood) sits at 13%. And that are one of the most popular and well known metas in the game.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

95% of achievements are soloable. What % do you want? It's an MMORPG. 

Yeah it is a MMO so it should appeal to a wide variety of gamers. Achievement hunting is not the same. The thread is asking for mechanically difficult instance solo content, not something you can do alone. Based on your logic, 100% of gathering is solo content. 90% of fishing is solo content! Crafting is also solo content. So why would anymore ask for more. Those are completely unrelated to whats being asked for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

Watch Lord Hizen videos and see that solo endgame already exists.

Indeed.  But look at how long it takes even Lord Hizen, and see that this isn't really going to be engaging for a lot of people.

I can see the appeal of "I completed content designed for 10 people", but generally speaking bullet sponge enemies aren't fun, which is what an unscaled boss basically is.

• Confused 5

28 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Indeed.  But look at how long it takes even Lord Hizen, and see that this isn't really going to be engaging for a lot of people.

I can see the appeal of "I completed content designed for 10 people", but generally speaking bullet sponge enemies aren't fun, which is what an unscaled boss basically is.

Doesn't matter if it's not engaging. It's possible, if you don't want to engage with it, don't. That's the solo endgame.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Yeah it is a MMO so it should appeal to a wide variety of gamers. Achievement hunting is not the same. The thread is asking for mechanically difficult instance solo content, not something you can do alone. Based on your logic, 100% of gathering is solo content. 90% of fishing is solo content! Crafting is also solo content. So why would anymore ask for more. Those are completely unrelated to whats being asked for. 

Tell me you've never done story instance achievements without telling me you've never done story instance achievements. 

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

To support this claim, in GW2 efficiency

over 30% of its player database has defeated Vale Guardian in raid:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Vale

10% in Dhuum, which remains one of the most challenging raid boss: 

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=What's Death May Never Die

Yet only less than 3% has ever defeated Liadri in the last 9 years

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Light Up the Darkness

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=What's Death May Never Die

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Light Up the Darkness

This seems to support the position that solo "endgame" content exists but people dont really want it right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Sure, but Liadri is (1) only available for very limited periods, (2) really poorly advertised in game, and (3) doesn't offer particularly good rewards for your time.

1 hour ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

Doesn't matter if it's not engaging. It's possible, if you don't want to engage with it, don't. That's the solo endgame.

It doesn't matter if the endgame is engaging?  Why do so many posts on this forum seem to treat fun as a complete irrelevancy to a videogame?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Sure, but Liadri is (1) only available for very limited periods, (2) really poorly advertised in game, and (3) doesn't offer particularly good rewards for your time.

It doesn't matter if the endgame is engaging?  Why do so many posts on this forum seem to treat fun as a complete irrelevancy to a videogame?

Soloer find it fun.

If you want fun for you solo challenge, play a solo game designed to your taste.

Edited by Kulvar.1239
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Not engaging to some is engaging to others. Currently there is solo "endgame" content. It is up to the individual to engage with it, or not. Claiming that it doesn't exist because one doesn't want to engage with it is counterproductive.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

In that logic the same condition applies to Winter's Day Raid, which has over 20% completion rate, that's over 7 times higher than Liadri:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Wintersday's Guardian

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, RagiNagi.1802 said:

Pretty much as the title says. I would like to play my toons and learn their mechanics, however, only place to reliably do so solo is golem 😄

It's time you find Lord Hizen on YouTube and watch how he solos strike missions and some tough open world bosses/HPs. Then repeat that yourself 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1