Guild Wars 2 Balance Philosophy

Rubi Bayer.8493

I would love to see a breakdown of what roles Anet sees each profession or elite spec as capable of or meant to perform in pvp, and balance to back up and make those roles viable. For example, I assume berserker is supposed to be a teamfighter, but it clearly is failing at succeeding in that role and thus needs buffs. An acknowledgment of what roles professions and elite specs are supposed to play along with whether or not Anet thinks that those roles are currently effective, underpowered, or overpowered would be very helpful.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, TheGrimoire.4039 said:

You keep asking for feedback but there's YEARS worth of feedback on the Elementalist forum, and nothing.
Sad to see.

I get it, I main Thief and I got burned pretty bad from the October changes to Specter and I know Ele has been shafted for like, ever, but we just got a new balance lead, balancing things take time, especially with how AWFUL it's been prior to Cal coming in.

Will he improve things overall? Who knows! There were good and bad things about the October patch, but we need to wait and see for more patches to form a good opinion. The communication in the form of this stream is a very good sign and them saying the read the forums is very good too.

Edited by SamuelW.2685
  • Like 16
  • Confused 2

Awesome stream! I have some feedback to share for the hydro homies (Roy and Cal).

Long time warrior main. I've always wanted to use rifle, but compared to every other weapon it's fallen short in PvE.

I've done hours and hours of testing, trying my best to squeeze the maximum DPS out of the rifle that I could. (The Predator was my first ever legendary near the start of the game  so I'm pretty motivated.)

I understand that it's largely balanced around its burst skill. That being said, even with an optimal rotation in perfect conditions it struggles to compare to even the most basic rifle Mechanist using minimal effort. Is it plausible to shift some of the power budget away from the rifle burst skill to have an improved auto attack? What are your thoughts?

Much love.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Zuko.7132 said:

I would love to see a breakdown of what roles Anet sees each profession or elite spec as capable of or meant to perform in pvp, and balance to back up and make those roles viable. For example, I assume berserker is supposed to be a teamfighter, but it clearly is failing at succeeding in that role and thus needs buffs. An acknowledgment of what roles professions and elite specs are supposed to play along with whether or not Anet thinks that those roles are currently effective, underpowered, or overpowered would be very helpful.

This kind of specificity is what we actually need.

The stream spelled out general philosophy. Okay, so where does ANet think they are meeting their goals? Where do they see themselves falling most short? On which professions? In which game modes? Which specs are targeted to fill which roles in which modes?

Without communicating these things specifically, player feedback is a shot in the dark.

Hopefully future patch notes will also call back to the design philosophies, instead of largely being "overperforming so we nerfed" and "underperforming so we buffed".

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

i think that the one thing many people wanted to know: was how do you balance power vs condition specs? because there are some condition specs that will melt someone 100%-0% faster than power spike builds....

and as an elementalist main... where is our ranged DPS weapon? (reminder, that Anet classifies staff as a support wepon.) especially since we're listed as a class that prefers ranged, but all the elite specs are designed around "close range" a lot of us (not the PvP community obviously) were hoping for a longbow. there's a lot of history in GW1 with elemental arrows, and it makes sense to give elementalist longbow some of the block-hate from GW1 skills like glass arrows. that block-hate is something unique that many Open World Ele's would love. it could work in competitive modes as well against hard to kill melee classes (which are counterplay to non cc-spamming ranged classes)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

So... that wasnt design philosophy.  Maybe you could call it an abbreviated high-level overview, but the philosophy was completely missing.

"We see the archtypes in PvE being DPS, Boon DPS, Healers".  Right, ok, so anyone with a pulse knows that. 

But what we dont know is:

How you feel boon application should be handled.  Should alac/quick be something like renegade OFA? Should it be like herald facet spamspamspamspamspam all day?  Firebrand mashing 3 skills on cooldown?  Like mirage being tied to mirage cloak staff 1 with clones? 

What should the difference in output be between power and condition builds? in a lower intensity power build vs a condition build with nonsensical apm and positioning requirements?  Does forced movement or forced immobility get taken into account?    Where does the line for relative fun/complexity sit with regards to damage?  Where is the line for changes being made to specs being popular but performing well below other specs that are less popular?     What is the ideal perfect point of complexity vs fun on a damage output chart?

Theres a lot of "design/balance philosophy" topics, and about 0 of them were even mentioned.

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 9

Good stream.

Confirmed a lot of what the hyper engaged community has been saying, so it's nice to get this information disseminated directly from the devs to the broader community.

Especially:

1. Importance of Alacrity and Quickness in PvE. (🔁💨)
  2. Skill design tradeoffs and opportunity costs. (🎟🎟🎟)
  3. Bad/wrong choices. (🪓+🩸)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

One thing I would like to know more is also very specific, because, as far as I know, it has only been done... once?

Skill splits within the same profession that are done regardless of game mode.

Mesmer's sword #3, which is different when on a virtuoso. I can understand why you did it, but my question is, if the new virtuoso-specific functionality is so necessary for virtuoso's sword to function, couldn't that functionality be made universal, for the sake of avoiding unnecessary complexity/accessibility? Is the old functionality so important in the older specs that it justifies having two different functionalities at the moment, even within the same game mode? I find that odd, because sword #3, in pve at least, always felt like an unsatisfying/poor/filler skill, so it is weird to me that the most exciting version is arbitrarily gated behind a single spec.

• Like 6

This is pretty disappointingly sparse, but maybe I was expecting something unreasonably thorough. 

I think the thing most obviously missing is some sort of commentary on the general power level of builds relative to each other and relative to past or future states of the game (not with respect to the spec itself as you alluded to with the power budget section, but specifically to other builds). As someone who thinks the game has been powercrept a little too hard, I'd like to see overall damage output reduced by some small percentage (15%ish, maybe?), but regardless of my limited perspective I'd be curious to see what you guys have to say about it, since I imagine you're very much the people through whom power levels of various specs get adjusted.

I also think that boons probably warrant a more thorough discussion. It's been discussed to death, but the smothering power of quickness is absurd, especially relative to alacrity. I think the strength of the actual effects these boons provide is worth considering, despite the fact that players consider them a given in any given team composition. Perhaps it's the case that you just don't consider solo or open-world content when talking about things like tradeoffs or "no bad decisions" or whatever, but it is legitimately impossible to make a good decision if that decision involves forgoing quickness and/or might (and fury for power builds). The other boons are good, but nowhere near as important as those two in terms of dps output, which is where you see most of these tradeoffs (% modifiers most frequently, obviously). In any area of the game where you're not playing with other people you're communicating with, every decision to forgo boons is a bad one--which is ironic considering it's how many people play. 
I dunno, I think it's worth talking about. 

Finally, and this is another point that's been discussed to death on streams and the like, the overwhelming advantage certain builds like firebrand and mechanist have in that they can sacrifice parts of their build for the sake of utility at much less overall cost to their build's output in their designated role. The fact that these professions generate quickness and alacrity off so few skills means they have so much more space to play with when it comes to taking extra stuff. They're not the only specs like this, of course, but they're the most common. 
That's a fun situation to be in--as a firebrand it feels fantastic to know your class well enough that you know how and when to sacrifice parts of your healing or damage output to bring critical CC utility. Conversely, it feels really, really kitten to play quickness herald and know that in order to provide utility you have to kitten your boon output--unless you're willing to swap your gear, but imo gear-swaps are unacceptable in situations like this because of their inaccessibility to such a huge amount of the playerbase relative to the completely consequence-less decision to switch a utility skill or trait. 
Classes like elementalist having so much of their damage output be tied to their utility skills should also be a part of this discussion.

Thank you for your efforts to improve the game, and I look forward to seeing reaper, dh, and daredevil get completely neglected in November. Fix bloody roar.

Edited by Alakazarm.1847
grammar, clarity
  • Like 30
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, TheGrimoire.4039 said:

You keep asking for feedback but there's YEARS worth of feedback on the Elementalist forum, and nothing.
Sad to see.

I think the problem is: as long as the attunement system exists in its current state, the ENTIRE class will always be elite-player-gated. Not everyone can or wants to play piano, working twice as hard for the same result as any other class.

But how do you change that? Maybe Anet has had ideas for elite specs where the attunement system is heavily reworked into something simpler, but my guess is that those ideas aren't/haven't been easy to implement, and that's why we keep getting elite specs that only made the complexity problem bigger, instead of smaller.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 10
  • Confused 3

Good overview.

I have concerns with how the existing skill balance is working according to the "philosophy".

* The difference between "low intensity" and literal AFK (see rifle mechanist autocast skills) as far as PVE
* Autoattacks doing more DPS at range than in melee which incentivizes range strategies in PVE or "pirateship" in WVW
---> "counterplay" should also apply to PVE when there isn't a "phase shift" , "exploiter" effect , or reflect bubble
* Elite spec weapons that don't perform at or above core spec weapons for that elite spec (see DH Longbow for the longest time compared to scepter focus , weaver sword right now, untamed hammer, soulbeast dagger against a single target)
* Utility skills that serve dual purpose yet are still top DPS picks (Purging Flames is a big one but so is Mine FIeld on holo engineer)
* Traits that make a skill do 4 or 5 things that makes it far harder for newer players to recognize and counterplay said skill
* Mantra of Solace and firebrand mantras in general in competitive modes which make it more or less unusable outside of minstrel,  or celestial
* Please think about and review how challenge mode ingame content is completed by most players especially if it requires blocks or stability to be effective. If a majority of groups are using "Advance!" on Deimos CM while "Stand Your Ground" or Inspiring Reinforcement on Samarog CM is common then probably you want to think about how future groups will complete it. If this is not an intended way to complete the content then the content should probably be tweaked according to new skill balance.
* Splitting of a core game mechanic on mirage (if you need to nerf jaunt and Infinite Horizon even if the clone ambushes have been toned back it is better than a one dodge mirage in PVP/WVW)
* Completely different functionality in PVE vs PVP/WVW: Draconic Echo and Kinetic Accelerators can probably have quickness at 0.25s instead of might in PVP/WVW and not have a completely different function since they do have effects other than boon generation. That is how Seize the Moment works is it not?
* Passives compared with active skills are not mentioned (i.e. something that happens automatically from a trait versus from a player skill)
* Years ago I recommended corrupts in PVE do CC bar damage on par with fear when there are no boons present. Is that a possibility?
* Does power budget include number of targets hit? If it does then please look at warrior mace in PVE very thoroughly. This is also applicable in WVW since any skill that only hits 1-2 targets is inherently weaker than one that hits 5.
* Can we get pet stow for druid in WVW? It's cannon fodder , borderline animal cruelty, and is "negative value".

If it's possible to do a time to kill metric ingame on the PVP/WVW golem dummy it would be nice too.

Edited by Infusion.7149
add pet stow for druid request
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

I'd be interested in knowing where you stand on previous efforts that have ended up removing tools that could have been used for balance. An example would be making might and fury generation "automatic" in group content by having basically all classes provide some passively (though this hasn't been achieved yet). In my opinion this just gives you less things to balance around, and along with things like minimising attacks that benefit from large hitboxes, or making almost all boon-provision AoEs identical size (PBAoE 360 units), it feels like it leads to a homogenisation and denies classes from having a niche.

• Like 3