New Dynamic Maps

firedragon.8953

What do WvW players think about having more maps? 
Pretty great, right?

I guess too many maps could thin out the population too much though...

How about a random rotation of maps?
We keep the 4 maps (+EoTM). But, the dev team makes new maps, let's say 4 new maps. Now we have 8 maps (+EoTM). But per week there are only 4 maps (+EoTM) that are playable, but are randomly shuffled so that we have greater variety without a vastly larger area and objectives to rotate through during the week. 

I'd like to propose that 3 borderland maps have a unique mechanic that changes up the normal siege and capture playstyle, maybe something like a few underwater towers with quaggan camps instead of dolyaks and the quggans become enraged when attack and actually fight back. Allow the installation of some traps within towers by completing other objectives in the map (slaying a vetran enemy, etc.). Maybe have a map or two that allows for a "modified" seige turtle (make a WvW seige turtle reward track for the egg, too). I also think Eternal Battlegrounds should remain someone consistent in terms of world terrain, however, it would be nice to have a Map A / Map B system that changes the layouts of Stonemist Castle and other keeps.

I personally think this would be a great method for adding new maps, game modes, and just "flavor" to the game mode without making it feel bloated.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I havn't roamed on desert bl in a long time. Changing the 2 alpine back to desert isn't going to change that for me. People like what they like and avoid what they don't. Some maps would rise to the top and some would sink to the bottom. The ones on rock bottom would just be dead map week.

That being said,

I want a tropical island map with palm trees, white sands, turquoise waters, supply skimmers and moored ships.

Just a reminder, that you can still jump in the alpinegarrisons with a warclaw.

Just a reminder, that you can vault over every single gate.

Just a reminder, that there is still the same invisible boxes on every Dolyak spawnlocation, which will block any projectile.

Just a reminder, that the Cornerstone of the DBL keep is still missing.

Just a reminder, that Dolyaks are desyncing since the dawn of time.

Just a reminder, that We are waiting for over 4 years for alliances.

Just a reminder, that they do not care. 

You can NOT tell me me that the devs do not know about those things... i keep spamming bugreports, i keep posting this in forums, on redit, yada yada....  NOTHING. 

Good luck with dynamic maps xDD

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Pretty great, right?

No, not really. The last time Anet created a new WvW map (Desert Borderlands) it nearly killed the game mode and Anet had to do a lot of changes to the map. I do not want to experience this again.

Anet should fix the bugs/problems of the existing maps and AFTER THAT work on a GOOD map. But I do not think this will happen, because the past and actual WvW teams seem to be very small (from seeing their acual progress this and last year).

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

Desert map is to spread out , and a pain in the butt to navigate. I also think one land different then the other 2 create a unbalanced eviroment. Three apline borderlands and eternal battle ground creates a more balance environment for servers to war over..

I know several new and veteran players that won’t go to desert borderland, and would rather skip playing WVW then play on desert. I’m one of them .

I’ve played guild wars 2 10 years and think the desert map was a a bad addition. It is visually stunning but poorly laid out for WVW .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Well, that's understandable. They needed the cornerstone to turn all WvW into a Cornerstone for the game.😉

the cornerstone missing is the cornerstoniest cornerstone i have ever cornerstoned.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Pretty great, right?

I guess too many maps could thin out the population too much though...

How about a random rotation of maps?
We keep the 4 maps (+EoTM). But, the dev team makes new maps, let's say 4 new maps. Now we have 8 maps (+EoTM). But per week there are only 4 maps (+EoTM) that are playable, but are randomly shuffled so that we have greater variety without a vastly larger area and objectives to rotate through during the week. 

I'd like to propose that 3 borderland maps have a unique mechanic that changes up the normal siege and capture playstyle, maybe something like a few underwater towers with quaggan camps instead of dolyaks and the quggans become enraged when attack and actually fight back. Allow the installation of some traps within towers by completing other objectives in the map (slaying a vetran enemy, etc.). Maybe have a map or two that allows for a "modified" seige turtle (make a WvW seige turtle reward track for the egg, too). I also think Eternal Battlegrounds should remain someone consistent in terms of world terrain, however, it would be nice to have a Map A / Map B system that changes the layouts of Stonemist Castle and other keeps.

I personally think this would be a great method for adding new maps, game modes, and just "flavor" to the game mode without making it feel bloated.

Would love to have gotten to rotating maps for the borderlands by now where we would shuffle maps each week. Would also liked to have seen a fifth map added to the 4 we have now. Said before and again, maps are the sandbox where players create their own content. Never a bad time to talk about it but I wouldn't count on it till we are on the other side of the WR project since population is also a long trending topic here as have been balance and new maps/mechanics. If anything I put those three in the top 5 topics if I had to wager a guess.

• Thanks 1

A large but underappreciated aspect of WvW is that a lot of people fine tune their builds like a car enthusiast will tinker with their ride every day. A perpetually changing map and its mechanics could scare away a lot of people, not as in it being difficult, but that it might not satiate their personal build vibe if the social dynamic can't dig in. 

I think it can work in open world because our characters aren't bound there by time and points constraints. I'd love it, but I think too many WvW players would be frustrated or simply avoid it because it's not EB or Alpine, which are perfectly suited by scale and design to those time and points constraints and the social connections are more routine, as far as a WvW setting can be.

Edited by kash.9213

Man...it's depressing to see most "WvW players" just complain about lack of attention instead of talking about the idea... Bleh. It's obvious WvW is neglected, but does the negatively spawned from neglect have to tarnish every discussion around WvW? 

13 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

The last time Anet created a new WvW map (Desert Borderlands) it nearly killed the game mode and Anet had to do a lot of changes to the map. I do not want to experience this again.

This is actually one reason why I thought this may be a good idea. It's seems obvious that this may be the least favorite map, so rotating it out with other maps makes it less of a constant bad thing. There will likely be unpopular maps if we get more maps, but if we have more maps there are likely to be more popular ones too. Imagine a week without Desert Borderlands. 

1 hour ago, kash.9213 said:

A perpetually changing map and its mechanics could scare away a lot of people,

I'm sure this may be true for some people, and I agree, this would be something that really needs to be considered seriously. But, if we get overly concerned about it WvW would never get updates because "change is bad." With that said, the maps wouldn't be perpetually changing, it would be on a weekly rotation. So, each week people can implement builds and strategies for each map that week, but it would make things less stagnant, less stale.

My point was, it would also allow for Anet to make more consistent maps without creating an unruly amount of landmass and capture objectives. Am I incorrect in assuming this?

On 11/9/2022 at 6:39 AM, Justine.6351 said:

I havn't roamed on desert bl in a long time. Changing the 2 alpine back to desert isn't going to change that for me. People like what they like and avoid what they don't. Some maps would rise to the top and some would sink to the bottom. The ones on rock bottom would just be dead map week.

That being said,

I want a tropical island map with palm trees, white sands, turquoise waters, supply skimmers and moored ships.

Enemy spawn zones  could be a ship docked 🙂

6 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Enemy spawn zones  could be a ship docked 🙂

Pulling land lovers underwater at Bay never gets old. I suppose some people would avoid it, but having a body of water with waterways that had a patchwork of both controlled plus a mix of static and routinely moving surfaces to fight on would be epic if they had some space for large fights. It would need a good swashbuckling soundtrack though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

Pulling land lovers underwater at Bay never gets old. I suppose some people would avoid it, but having a body of water with waterways that had a patchwork of both controlled plus a mix of static and routinely moving surfaces to fight on would be epic if they had some space for large fights. It would need a good swashbuckling soundtrack though.

Current Destiny 2 season is going with a Pirate motif, players liked the music enough for it that they offered it as free download pending in game activities. 🙂 Shows once again that a good music backdrop continues to add flare to gaming activities.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:23 AM, Baldrick.8967 said:

That would involve 1. there being a wvw dev and 2. actually doing work on maps for wvw, neither of which seems to have happened for the last 5 years.

Make it seven years. It's nice to have this respectful debate, though. At least we are all civil ...

... and kitten.

9 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Current Destiny 2 season is going with a Pirate motif, players liked the music enough for it that they offered it as free download pending in game activities. 🙂 Shows once again that a good music backdrop continues to add flare to gaming activities.

It does, I still flash right back to Starwars Galaxies whenever I hear the movies on tv in the background. I can't get how we don't have the expansion scores cycled into WvW yet. I want to hear The Itzel once in awhile and EoD had some good fight music also, but all of the expansion music is great. 

4 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

It does, I still flash right back to Starwars Galaxies whenever I hear the movies on tv in the background. I can't get how we don't have the expansion scores cycled into WvW yet. I want to hear The Itzel once in awhile and EoD had some good fight music also, but all of the expansion music is great. 

Ok, its late which means I get to ramble. Agree could see them expanding the music and agree think it would be a good change considering their music quality. Now the rambling/theory crafting for the fun, could have been fun for a WvW upgrade in the guild hall that allowed your group to define a rotation of ingame music that played as you played WvW. The more you upgraded the more music you could add to your rotation. Again way over the top kind of thing but would have been another thing where guild halls could have been expanded to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MintyMin.2718 said:

World Restructuring and Alliances took them more than 5 years to get into just beta testing and we are into the 6th beta now and God knows how many more to come and you want new maps in WvW?!

And Dynamic ones some more ??!!  😂🤣

Yes. Go big or go home. We are starting to see a lot of movement in the gaming industry as people have adapted to covid and seeing a lot of games starting to drop. Windows of opportunity are closing.

I will actually take it a further step since I have used the line in the past lets get a project done and then to another but the map design themselves would more likely be different resources than the WR project. Would use similar ones when implementing the infrastructure but you don't normally swap your data analyst or database engineer with your map artists or design leads. Its better to say its a budget thing and in that case budgets are about player counts and you don't want to be holding the short end of the stick when new games start dropping in pulling people away to try newer things. Even if you assume they will come back after a time. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:56 PM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

1. people will whine because of reasons

2. people will whine because of reasons

3. people will whine because of reasons

I have read the forums and concluded this is a brilliant and horrible idea that has no merit while being the way to save the game mode.