Gemstore items should ALL be available.

Horus.8304

On 11/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Sorry for not being clear. I meant the sort of watch list where you click on an item and get a notification when it returns. Even if it were just the store icon at the top of the screen in game getting a color highlight to indicate that one of your selected items has returned.

Not a huge deal because I can check for myself frequently, but it would be a nice option.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Once again, The GW2 forum community demonstrates their inability to read. I didn't claim NCSoft or ANet are making mistakes, I'm saying that it's POSSIBLE for them to be short-sighted and make mistakes. But apparently, our glorious leaders NCSoft and ANet can do no wrong.

I probably love Guild Wars more than the three of you guys put together, but I'm not immature enough to say that it's not possible for them to be short-sighted. Last word, either put forth some hard evidence to back up your claims that time-limited offers work to pull in more sales over the long term or be quiet. You guys are the ones who made that statement of confidence, not me.

Well the prof is litteraly that the companys keep doing it ( note it is not just Anet and Ncsoft)

If they could get more money the other way they would do it mate.

Yes 1 item might get alot of revenue over a long time by just being in the store always like for example transmutation charges but it is nothing if you compare it to the items that are there short term and people panic buy.

Hell dident someone spend 135 dollars to try to get the ghost jade bot skin and still did not get it.

And thats just 1 person imagen that spread across the playerbase.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Once again, The GW2 forum community demonstrates their inability to read. I didn't claim NCSoft or ANet are making mistakes, I'm saying that it's POSSIBLE for them to be short-sighted and make mistakes. But apparently, our glorious leaders NCSoft and ANet can do no wrong.

True, the inability to read is demonstrated quite nicely here. Nobody said they can't make mistakes (and that's nothing more than at attempt to create a strawman, since what people said above is that there are available researches about marketing strategies which involve product/time scarcity, meanwhile you're turning it into some sarcastic "oh so you think THE GLORIOUS LEADERS can't make mistakes, EH?!" -no, that's not what anyone wrote here), but if you think they've made one then you better have those hard numbers ready. Other than that, if they knew it doesn't make a difference, it most probably wouldn't be a thing because -again- it is all about maximizing moneyz from the gemstore for them. If you don't think they've rolled a dice on it then you understand the existance of gemstore in current form isn't baseless or accidental.

2 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

I probably love Guild Wars more than the three of you guys put together,

First of all: baseless.

Secondly: completely irrelevant to anything said here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just wanna point out that anet diversifies and experiments with their sales tactics. For e.g.

1) they did introduce statuettes in response to forum requests. They continued to develop the statuette shop, including increasing it from 1(?) exclusive per period of time

2) they placed premium mounts in BLCs as an uncommon (not rare) drop.

3) they corrected the initial model of mount license packs.

4) they introduced those tokens like outfit selection tokens (and continue to update the selection), and in a rather generous win-win way.

5) they pinned a thread where players can post requests for xyz to return to the cashshop. I don't check that page, but I did see them grant a few requests some years ago before I quit.

6) account-bound skin/dyes/wardrobe purchases, acc-bound unlim tools

Etc etc

Anet staff do try to keep the cash shop accessible and friendly to players, while also working to ensure that gw2 hits and goes beyond the 10th anniversary as an mmo. They don't just see us as cash cows, though they do need cash cows.

Spoiler

It's kinda like adorable cash cows that you take care of. Maybe.

Even though the marketing model doesn't work for you in this instance, just roll with it. If you can't login everyday, check astral's sticky twice a week. If you buy outfits/gliders/whatever then stock some tokens. Try requesting on the request sticky. Go without. Don't use hyperbole or illogic to try to support your point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, casualkenny.9817 said:

Just wanna point out that anet diversifies and experiments with their sales tactics. For e.g.

1) they did introduce statuettes in response to forum requests. They continued to develop the statuette shop, including increasing it from 1(?) exclusive per period of time

I don't think that this was due to forum requests.  This was probably because of the loot-box talk and their way to avoid being caught up in the 'gambling' discussion since the statuettes are guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

True, the inability to read is demonstrated quite nicely here. Nobody said they can't make mistakes (and that's nothing more than at attempt to create a strawman, since what people said above is that there are available researches about marketing strategies which involve product/time scarcity, meanwhile you're turning it into some sarcastic "oh so you think THE GLORIOUS LEADERS can't make mistakes, EH?!" -no, that's not what anyone wrote here), but if you think they've made one then you better have those hard numbers ready. Other than that, if they knew it doesn't make a difference, it most probably wouldn't be a thing because -again- it is all about maximizing moneyz from the gemstore for them. If you don't think they've rolled a dice on it then you understand the existance of gemstore in current form isn't baseless or accidental.

First of all: baseless.

Secondly: completely irrelevant to anything said here.

"Oh, it's not a mistake because ANet decided it's not!"

Because why? Where's the logical support? Where's the freaking data? I don't recall the gemstore EVER having all the items available at once besides obviously at launch which doesn't count.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 11/19/2022 at 1:19 AM, Arnox.5128 said:

"Oh, it's not a mistake because ANet decided it's not!"

Once again, that's not really what was said.

Because why? Where's the logical support?

It's easy to look for research papers stating things like ~quantity/time limited sales positively influence impulse purchases. So... that's where the logical support is. It also doesn't matter that it maybe doesn't necessarily work on you or me since we'll still wait for the item in store if we want to buy it anyways -but it matters for how many people it will work.

Where's the freaking data? I don't recall the gemstore EVER having all the items available at once besides obviously at launch which doesn't count.

It doesn't count because what exactly? And it needs to be specifically tested in this particular game why excatly?

I like how you consistently dodge on most things I write in my posts though, whatever works for you 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
work~~s~~
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:43 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't think that this was due to forum requests.  This was probably because of the loot-box talk and their way to avoid being caught up in the 'gambling' discussion since the statuettes are guaranteed.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:36 AM, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

You believe any of those decisions was made to be friendly to players? I think it was made purely to get more sales.

That's why I specified that my stand is

these were sales tactics (hardly philanthropy), while also wanting to not be too exploitative like a traditional (p2w) mmo. They need to earn money for the company (it's their job), they just don't need to be complete Ds about it. They definitely have some employees who care about players.

I would certainly appreciate it if there was no rotation and everything was made available at all times.  When I'm wanting to buy something, making me wait months on end in order to do so simply makes me lose interest completely.  I kind of liken this to shopping in real life where if I'm in a certain store and an employee tells me that the items I want are going to be out of stock for several months, then I'm just going to take my money to another store that has what I want and not look back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah... I can understand why they do it like this, but I also would like to see all the items tbh. The "sense of urgency" only works for new players I believe.

For instance, I would like to buy certain skins because I play a lot of WvW atm and wish to give my dedicated character a nice look. I know my interest will shift the next couple of weeks/month and then I will simply forget I wanted these things. 

I would pay the undiscounted price for the skins, no problem. But yeah... they are not in the store so...meh.

Or maybe just do it for the skins and not the utilities? 

Another factor is the sheer number of items that would be available if everything was in the store. People complain about it being slow now, so I'd imagine that wouldn't help. Then finding stuff could be cumbersome, too.

Still, it'd be good if things came through at a minimum of, what, 4 times a year?

• Haha 1

...do you have any idea how many items there are in the gemstore? It would be an absolute *nightmare* to scroll through.

Which means to navigate it, you'd have to search it specifically, most of the time.

Which means nearly all chance glances at an "oh this is neat" item that result in sales? Poof, gone.

Why would anyone sane do this?

The fomo model they are using just doesnt work with regards to general stock of the gemstore. The occasional "back for 3 days" ones probably sell fine, but the usual slow rotation of the main store just leaves people looking at the same old things for weeks at a time. If i were them, i would go with "if you pay cash, you can get anything, anytime" and then have the normal rotation available for gems and thus potentially gold. 

I mean, if i really want a particular backpack glider combo, which i currently do - by the time it comes round again, chances are my outfit is different and i no longer want it - so what was the point of keeping it away so long? I would have paid cash to have it right now, but apparently i cant do that....so who wins in that scenario? I dont get what i want, they dont get my money and when the item comes round, i have moved onto other things. Its bizarre.

Edited by chronometria.3708
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I understand ANet's reasoning about not overloading the store.  There would be just too much to go through.  However, what about adding a search box?  Keep the BLTC appearance, rotation and schedule as is, but allow a player to search for a particular item?  That way there is no clutter  in the store and someone can find and purchase a specific item at will.

2 minutes ago, Kiof.5710 said:

I understand ANet's reasoning about not overloading the store.  There would be just too much to go through.  However, what about adding a search box?  Keep the BLTC appearance, rotation and schedule as is, but allow a player to search for a particular item?  That way there is no clutter  in the store and someone can find and purchase a specific item at will.

Because marketing data shows that this type of availability brings in less than FOMO.

14 minutes ago, Kiof.5710 said:

There is a search function. Obviously works well, if you didn't know about it. 😉

I dropped a fair chunk during the weekend sales since I am newer and was waiting on quite a few things to come back to store on sale. I really do dislike the rotating shop though. It would be much easier for me to have bought more consistently over the waiting period than bulk buying over one weekend. Probs me all spent for the next several months now ^.^ Tbh I would like to have gotten one more thing but I spent more than enough, so that I just won't get the last one. If I could spread it out I would buy it but they crammed it all in one weekend so ,-, 

A lot of the quality of life items I just refuse to buy as well. I don't like to give money over because they made something purposefully frustrating. I stick to skins mainly ^.^ 

I have now found though that I have at least one skin for each mount I enjoy so I probably just won't buy much more from the store going forward. I don't really care too much for outfits and esp not the weapon skins (sucks you can't dye weapons) etc. I'll stick to ffxiv if I wanna play fashion wars, but the mounts in this game beat ffxiv's hands down! 🙂 

As for FOMO, it just does not make much difference to me. At least in the sense I am not going to be checking the store if I am not playing. When I take breaks from the game and miss what I am waiting for I just won't buy a thing. 

Edited by Aelin.9317
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why even bother with the clunky, slow BL store interface?

Everything can just be unlocked from the wardrobe right?  Mouse over the item and unlock. Cha-ching gems deducted from your account.

The non wardrobe items can easily be another tab somewhere in the existing menus, unlocked for your account and retrievable if accidentally deleted like any account unlocked skins - save the hassle of customer service retrieving items for muddleheaded customers.

Edited by Pinkeh.4207
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1