The Next Balthazar

oscuro.9720

The Next Balthazar  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lord Faren be the next Balthazar?

• Yes
    • Also yes
    • I don’t like lord faren.

1 hour ago, Predator.2847 said:

By the power of underwear, he shall bring fear on his enemies! A perfect new God of War!

I'm pretty sure this is the origin story of many comic book supervillains (and superheroes) though. Half of the time their power seems to come from how little they wear.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Haha 2

On 11/25/2022 at 2:23 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If Balthazar has a replacement, that replacement should be about 100 years old.

Besides, Lord Faren is too busy being Spymaster E to be a god of war.

Why 100 specifically? What does the age matter at all?

Faren is already basically a god, not much will change if he accepts the time 

2 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Why 100 specifically? What does the age matter at all?

Not really specifically, but the whole overthrowing of Balthazar happened shortly after the Elder Dragons began waking up. So it'd be somewhere between 200-100 years ago.

Since Balthazar was stripped of his powers before imprisonment, that means his replacement would have rose to power at that time Balthazar was imprisoned.

It wouldn't have been much before 100 years ago if the Movement's entry about the WvW portal is still canon (and there are NPCs who reference it still), as according to the Movement, Balthazar showed up in Lion's Arch shortly after it was rebuilt to create the first portal to WvW, before it was replaced by asura gates after the events of Edge of Destiny novel.

22 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

The God of Hotness & Love

🤣

As per the lore, Faren is only one half of Fargle, the God of Hotness & Love. He shares that mantle with Snargle Goldclaw, his other aspect. Ever read the wiki?! 🙄

/sarcasm

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Good luck at that.

Clearly, Bobby Stein's been hinting at it all along.

He provided a 👀 in a thread on Zojja.

He provided a 👀 in a thread on Season 6 that derailed into a debate on the Six Gods return / lack thereof.

And he mentioned the God of Hotness and Love here.

Clearly this means that Zojja becomes the new God of Fire (she does like to set people on fire, remember the dredge who ran in terror from the munchkin?) and plays a major role in Season 6 with the return of the Six. SIXTH SEASON FOR THE SIX GODS.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I dont want a spoiler of WHO, just if it is planned to be revealed at some point.

I meant more the part of there being any seriousness in this thread, though I could entirely believe that the identity of Balths replacement is an Empty Mystery Box or that a replacement gets completely memory holed.  'Fraid I've gotten a touch cynical over the years.

• Like 1

I'm still rooting for Mhenlo, though I guess Cynn might be royally pissed if he left her to become a god. Then again, maybe he could uplift her too to become something more "divine" than a mortal. It was odd there was no mention of him in EoDs as iirc he was going to become the next headmaster of shing jea monastery after the winds of change, unless that's a detail I hallucinated reading about at some point.

A non-human replacement would be interesting as well. Pyre Fierceshot, Talon Silverwing, or Zhed Shadowhoof? I'm not sure how the rest of their lives played out post-gw1. I think Pyre Fierceshot sired one of Kalla Scorchrazor's parent, Talon led some Tengu to Kryta, and Zhed probably died to Joko's armies since the centaurs were wiped out during his takeover iirc. I suppose they could've "disappeared" sometime after those life deeds. Maybe Zhed protected the remainders of the Elonan centaurs somewhere after becoming the new God of Fire? 👀

I suppose Menzies would be the most poetic/ironic replacement of Balthazar. He's just sitting in the wings waiting to swoop in and take his brother's spot lol.

Edited by Zola.6197
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cosmic arrow.2605 said:

It is interesting to wonder whether or not non-humans are capable of becoming gods. Is it a trait unique to humans because of the "alien" world they all came from? Or are native Tyrians also able to become vessels for divine magic?

more importantly:

Why would a non-human even want to become part of a pantheon that is worshipped primarily by humans and races that once were humans (like Druids and Margonites)?

26 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

more importantly:

Why would a non-human even want to become part of a pantheon that is worshipped primarily by humans and races that once were humans (like Druids and Margonites)?

Power? Peace? Maybe they wanted to help the other gods find a new dragon free world. Lots of reasons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I wonder if Tyria needs a deity of war when it's fighting for peace. Would like to know others' thoughts on this.

Balthazar wasn't only a god of War and Fire.

He was also the patron deity of Protection and Smiting (the two Monk Prayer attributes that Guardian is largely based upon). Though questionable, he could also be considered the God of fair fight, as the Zaishen, his worshippers, dealt with most of the non-Factions PvP stuff in GW1.

GW2's insulting reduction of Balthazar into a raging, flaming cartoon-esque villain with no real point is NOT what he truly stood for.

That aside, the Human gods are not Tyrian gods. They are just that: Human gods. Humans are technically not Tyrian. Saying they are Tyrian gods would be equivalent to saying that all of Lovecraft's creatures originated from a non-fictional Earth.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1