AFK Spamming 111 Rifle Mechanist is still very strong in PVE

A Hamster.2580

I decided to do some testing on the training golem after reading all the posts here.

I only put 25 stacks of vulnerability on the golem since that is what you will see 99.99% of the time in raids/strikes/Soo-Won and had no food/util. I also put all mech skills on auto and only spammed skill 1 of the rifle for the whole time.

These are the results:

no boons on myself, standing next to mech - 13.6k per sec

no boons on myself, standing far from mech - 9.9k per sec

full boons on myself, standing next to mech - 22.2k per sec

full boons on myself, standing far from mech - 18.9k per sec

One of the hardest DPS checks in raids would be Twin Largos. For those not familiar, the squad needs to get the Largo's hp down to 50% within 2 minutes on the first platform or it's a squad wide wipe.

Looking at the wiki, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_twin_largos, we can take the health of Nikare, the first Largo, 17,548,336 and divide that by half. 8,774,168.

So the squad needs to do 8,774,168 in under 2 min to phase the Largo on the first platform before wiping.

Since 4 out of 10 players are supports, let's be super conservative with this calculation and assume the 2 healers and the 2 boon dps do 0 dps.

So the remaining 6 players need to do 8,774,168 in under 2 minutes.

Take 9,609,802 and divide by 6, so one player needs to do 1,462,361 in under 2 minutes.

Take 1,462,361 and divide by 120 (2min = 120sec). 

This means a DPS player is expected to do 12,186 damage per sec to carry their own weight.

If we assume the 2 boon dps players can do 10k per sec each (as a reference point, exp supports like staff mirages can easily do 20k+), the single DPS player only needs to do 8,853 per sec. 

Compare this to the test results above and you can see afk spamming 111 rifle mechanist can still beat difficult end game content regardless of the Mechanical Genius penalty.

They still have the DPS to tackle the Twin Largos raid and should still be very strong in Open World considering the effort required (or lack of).

Edit 1:

I already know some of you will bring up raid mechanics vs stationary training golem. That really only matters if there is actually a rotation the dps player needs to execute. In the case of the afk fully range spamming 111 mechanist, it is too insignificant to account for.

Edit 2: 

Wow I just came back from work and it looks like the only argument against my post was nitpicking my usage of "AFK". No one can refute my math and the conclusion that this "no rotation" DPS play style can still beat one of the hardest end game content?

I define "AFK" as having literally no rotation. If I unplug my keyboard before fighting the Largos, my DPS would still be the same. I can still use my mouse to sidestep mechanics by holding mouse 1 and mouse 2. I can mouse click on the endurance bar to dodge roll. I might have to mouse click on skill 1 once in the beginning to start the "no rotation" fight, but that's it.

So yes, AFK = "away from keyboard" which is the equivalent of unplugging the keyboard because you don't even need it.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 2

Firebrand is still strong despite the nerf. But Anet made it super unfun to play it. And that's the same for Mechanist

People in PvE are complaining that rifle now is bland and unfun and Mechanist has to fight against an issue that exist since GW2 launch that is pet AI.

People in PvP/WvW are complaining rifle is complete trash.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, gousgou.5438 said:

An AFK Spamming 111 Rifle Mechanist will be putting out 0 DPS as he/she would be dead for failing fight mechanics.

Failing fight mechanics at Twin Largos just means failing to dodge roll or sidestep occasionally. That's a player issue and not the profession's.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Failing fight mechanics at Twin Largos just means failing to dodge roll or sidestep occasionally. That's a player issue and not the profession's.

I am terribly sorry but that would be botting (excuse the pun). You said AFK. Please decide what you want: AFK or attentive?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

Well, I don't know what it was before for just rifle AA, but with food/utility and no might infusions(rest meta etc) my rifle was doing 16k on average in 60 seconds. I could have sworn from others it was 18k before with just rifle, so I think they messed something up with the changes because it is doing less than before. Kind of needs to be buffed a little to get that 2k AA back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, gousgou.5438 said:

I am terribly sorry but that would be botting (excuse the pun). You said AFK. Please decide what you want: AFK or attentive?

He wrote AFK and what he described is AFK. AFK doesn't mean he's not attentive to what happens on the screen.
Lmao, grasping at straws just for the sake of it.
And yes, playing mech is botting to a degree, it's not even pun or a joke, just factual fact and reality.

• Like 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

He wrote AFK and what he described is AFK. AFK doesn't mean he's not attentive to what happens on the screen.
And yes, playing mech is botting to a degree, it's not even pun or a joke, just factual fact and reality.

AFK means away from the keyboard.

If there are mechanic requiring you to even press a single button then you're going to fail said mechanic. If you even press one button to do mechanic that doesnt mean you're AFK.

Whether you like it or not he is right

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

AFK means Away From Keyboard. That means you cannot move your character (unless you are a jedi).

I am not grasping at straws, someone must get a grasp on writing abbreviations.

They are also trying to convince as that someone that is full face into a burrito and AFK from the game can bypass another two encounters and end up straight to the 3rd boss of the raid to "shine by his awesome performance while doing nothing". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

AFK means away from the keyboard.

If there are mechanic requiring you to even press a single button then you're going to fail said mechanic. If you even press one button to do mechanic that doesnt mean you're AFK.

Whether you like it or not he is right

Just now, gousgou.5438 said:

AFK means Away From Keyboard. That means you cannot move your character (unless you are a jedi).

I am not grasping at straws, someone must get a grasp on writing abbreviations.

They are also trying to convince as that someone that is full face into a burrito and AFK from the game can bypass another two encounters and end up straight to the 3rd boss of the raid to "shine by his awesome performance while doing nothing". 

You are both grasping at straws and both are wrong. AFK and get this to your thick heads, doesn't define time and distance from the keyboard itself, so even if you write AFK doesn't mean you go take a walk on the moon for 31576187953 years, it could also mean you just check stuff on your phone meanwhile watching what happens on screen and answer to the situation.
The game isn't that difficult that would prevent you from eating burrito and playing raids though, sorry, this is reality.
To your future "arguments":

• The time of "AFK" is determined by people alone, for one it'll be 5min for other it'll be 30s.
  • The distance of "AFK" is also determined by the people alone, it could be 10km away shop, it could be 0.5m away wardrobe.
  • "Usually" doesn't mean "Always".
  • No, raids aren't that hard, they're boring and more of a chore than actual fun and probably they can even be botted by now.

s/ I'm very grateful for your "explanation" what AFK mean, I don't have google. /s

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

You are both grasping at straws and both are wrong. AFK and get this to your thick heads, doesn't define time and distance from the keyboard itself, so even if you write AFK doesn't mean you go take a walk on the moon for 31576187953 years, it could also mean you just check stuff on your phone meanwhile watching what happens on screen and answer to the situation.
The game isn't that difficult that would prevent you from eating burrito and playing raids though, sorry, this is reality.

• The time of "AFK" is determined by people alone, for one it'll be 5min for other it'll be 30s.
  • The distance of "AFK" is also determined by the people alone, it could be 10km away shop, it could be 0.5m away wardrobe.
  • No, raids aren't that hard, they're boring and more of a chore than actual fun and probably they can even be botted by now.

s/ I'm very grateful for your "explanation" what AFK mean, I don't have google. /s

In this case then I can say I afk in in all class then. After all the time is determined by people, the distance is determined by people.

And because all class can AFK then why bother pointing out 1 class over the other ? because the end result is the same.

Thanks you for proving that this thread is useless

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I mean reaper can get like 20-25k dps by pressing 1

Specter rotation is basically pressing 3

There are builds like this for almost any profession.

Also , kudos for highlighting again that dps checks in this game are non-existent and you can beat any content with any dps.

Edited by Hindenburg.3415
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Useless AF!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

In this case then I can say I afk in in all class then. After all the time is determined by people, the distance is determined by people.

And because all class can AFK then why bother pointing out 1 class over the other ? because the end result is the same.

Thanks you for proving that this thread is useless

19 minutes ago, gousgou.5438 said:

Useless AF!

Smells like mech mains to me.
Yes, you can say that you're AFK and go to school, like lol, if game allows you to stay for so long logged-in that statement is not wrong in the slightest.
Reason for pointing specially mech: the game plays for itself with minimum input of a player, which is garbage thing for the MMORPG in the first place. The only thing you pretty much have to care about is where you stand and that's it.
Imagine a class that have only available in it's entire kit Auto Attack, everything else is something passive, something that the game does for the player like additional source of damage, boons, heal, everything else is "passive". That's what Mechanist is.
The only competitor as "counter argument" for this thread could be "MM(Minion Master) Necromancer", since it's also backloaded pasive like Mech, but considering people don't use it at all, means it's not on the same level of bs like Mech, interesting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Imagine a class that have only available in it's entire kit Auto Attack, everything else is something passive, something that the game does for the player like additional source of damage, boons, heal, everything else is "passive".

This sounds great. And I'll do you one better; Imagine Anet making more more maps and playable, exploreble content vs having to focus every 2 weeks on "balance patches" which are just changing how the game "flows". Imagine bug fixes to weird pathing issues that affect all players when the ground has a 1 pixel elevation and "no path to target" exists...  I want to play the game, not re-learn core button pressings, regardless of the class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Not even close.

... "MM(Minion Master) Necromancer", since it's also backloaded pasive like Mech, but considering people don't use it at all...

I see MM necros in OW, fractals T1-T2 and WvW. Have you been in the game in the last 10 years?

• Like 2

Reason for pointing specially mech: the game plays for itself with minimum input of a player, which is garbage thing for the MMORPG in the first place. The only thing you pretty much have to care about is where you stand and that's it.

The mechanists have at least 3 paths they can take with their specs. All 3 of them can offer a lot to group content (I was very impressed personally by the amount of Defiance Bar dmg they can do in seconds and their cleave without the need for a grenade kit). Bad and low input players can exist in all classes, why are you attacking mechanists especially? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vee.5609 said:

This sounds great. And I'll do you one better; Imagine Anet making more more maps and playable, exploreble content vs having to focus every 2 weeks on "balance patches" which are just changing how the game "flows". Imagine bug fixes to weird pathing issues that affect all players when the ground has a 1 pixel elevation and "no path to target" exists...  I want to play the game, not re-learn core button pressings, regardless of the class.

up for this

Ah jumping straight to assumption, I assume you ran out of argument ?

So are all other low intensity build then.

Imagine a class that have only available in it's entire kit Auto Attack, everything else is something passive, something that the game does for the player like additional source of damage, boons, heal, everything else is "passive". That's what Mechanist is.

>look at Condi Mechanist and Healer mechanist

Yeah sure, I just auto attack and it clear the game with 0 rotation and whatsoever.

The only competitor as "counter argument" for this thread could be "MM(Minion Master) Necromancer", since it's also backloaded pasive like Mech, but considering people don't use it at all, means it's not on the same level of bs like Mech, interesting.

Yeah sure MM is so unpopular you never see a Necro running full pet doing PvE stuff. And yet I see more Necro MM than Elementalist or Thief. If anything Necro MM has always been a viable choice for LI Necro PvE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Right ... so failure/success is a player issue. So how much DPS someone does or how they do it or what spec they do it with ... isn't that important. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Ok but 22.2k dps is not "very strong" for a pure dps build. Not even close. So.. thanks for demonstrating that pmech needs to be buffed.. I guess?

Also, I'm highly amused at the people who are suggesting that you can be at your keyboard dodging and pressing buttons to do mechanics while also allegedly being AFK at the same time. Is this like Schrodinger's Mechanist or some crap?

Edited by Fizz.9384
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

What? Grenade kit isn't passive. Rifle skills 2-5 aren't passive. The elite isn't passive. And good players won't set the mech skills to auto either. You actually seem to be very true to your name and I'm certain none of us should be wasting time engaging with you.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fizz.9384 said:

What? Grenade kit isn't passive. Rifle skills 2-5 aren't passive. The elite isn't passive. And good players won't set the mech skills to auto either. You actually seem to be very true to your name and I'm certain none of us should be wasting time engaging with you.

TBH, I only found out that you could set the mech skills to auto post-update via all the naysaying complaints about the class, so I mean... Heh.

Having played the class for half a year without that feature, I can't say I'd ever really use it and can't imagine a situation where I would let anything be auto-cast by the Mech instead of keeping full situational control of it all - I just wish that the mech wasn't so... special about where it wants to run off to in the middle of a fight or how it wants to position.

• Like 1