Passive Aggressive Emoji's plaguing the forums

Charall.4710

12 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I dont see how identifying a popular opinion is bad in any way. And this actually gives a reality check to the echo chamber.

Popular opinion isn't always right. And echo chamber will just reject reality checks, as echo will overpower the speaker (look at reddit)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

With 3.7k views and 126 replies - first post has only about 100 emojis.

Clearly only minority use those, so it's not a reliable rating. It's biased and meaningless for other users.

Some authors of posts may mistakenly consider those, but they should check numbers, in current form such anonymous emojis should and must be ignored. Removing them would be for the best.

Some wrote that emojis are better then arguments - absolutely not. With actual post you clearly see if it's supported by meaningful arguments, if it lacks them, you can easily disregard such opinion. With anonymous emojis some may wonder if it had some good point hided behind it and re-think their post.

Proper voting options should be for ideas about a game, in separate sub-forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, The Boz.2038 said:

There is no instance of a discussion platform of any kind in which upvotes/downvotes, reactions, karma, or anything of the sort leads to anything remotely good.

Edited down to the part I can agree with. Any form of evaluation that is not based on argumented feedback will ultimately lead to pro-majority ideas getting pushed up/celebrated without any connection to reality. It is good for social media, where people create circles of like minded person (and destroy their mental health), but not for forum platforms, that were initially created as discussion platforms (look at old phpBB forums, it lacked any form of upvote/emoji/thank you) as it would not contribute to discussion in any way, just like yelling "Booooo!" at gathering doesn't. Does it create such problems of off forums? Well, technically yes, as person on a fence, or more socially  inept person will most likely side with majority, despite facts stated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

8 hours ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

You do understand that people  "have issues" for different reasons , right ?

Of course, to know that, you'd actually have to read entire posts, instead of chopping them up. 

What context ?  I quoted a full sentence presenting a finished thought. What exactly was "misrepresented" ?

Thank you for providing a classic example of why some should just move on because they clearly unable to participate in conversation.

Exactly...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It kind of depresses me that threads like this keep popping up and that this one has gone on for so many pages.  Its just so meaningless. The emojis can't hurt you, they can't downgrade or hide your comment like in Reddit. You can even hide the things, apparently, if you really need to go through the effort of figuring out how and implementing such changes to your browser. I'm not exactly sure what it says about this community if people are so bothered by them that they have to keep talking about them instead of the game this forum is meant for, but it probably isn't something particularly positive.

• Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Any form of evaluation that is not based on argumented feedback will ultimately lead to pro-majority ideas getting pushed up/celebrated without any connection to reality.

Why do you think the opinion of the majority is of so little value? Sure, it isn't always right and it certainly doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

But for a business like Arena Net surely what the majority thinks/wants is of quite a lot of interest. Even if Arena Net later decide to ignore the majority because they think they are wrong, at least they knew what forum users thought they wanted.

Similarly it seems to me it has value for everyone else. If someone posts that "change X has wrecked the game" then it provides useful context to see whether 2 people or 20+ people like that post.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Well ... it is something that keeps itself alive: By giving me a confused reaction and then posting something weird where they disagree ... I know that reaction could only have been from that other use. Then of course I will use the same one on every of their post. as a counter.

It is impossible to determine who reacted to your post, and why they reacted.  If you can, then please identify every post I reacted to, how I reacted, and why I reacted.    The reason none of us can determine anything specific about reactions is because reactions are anonymous and have zero context.  

As for going out of your way to "counter-confuse" another user... that's a strange way to provide rational thought to a replying post.  Again, you cannot determine who reacted nor why.  No amount of deduction will enable you to do so because there is no information from which to deduce a conclusion.

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

All of our opinions here are expressed using symbols rather than our voices.

And your symbols are converted to sound waves for me!  Is it still voicing if a computer does the voicing?

😜😎

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Well ... it is something that keeps itself alive: By giving me a confused reaction and then posting something weird where they disagree ... I know that reaction could only have been from that other use. Then of course I will use the same one on every of their post. as a counter.

This is not exactly true. I’ve replied to many posts without giving confused reactions, and when I finished typing and posted it, I’ve noticed the post I replied to have a confused reaction when it did not before I replied. Meaning someone gave confused reaction while I was typing.

There is no way for you to know it was the person who replied to your post who gave the reaction emote. So your counter confusion actually is pointed at the wrong person. Not that it matters much, but I just wanted to point that out as I’ve had this happen to me several times. Not the counter confusion, but that someone gave the post I replied to a confused emoji while I was typing. (I’m a slow typer and English is my third language, meaning I’m thinking a lot to translate at times)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Well ... nevertheless is is a way to relieve some stress - you just feel better when you can react back that way to some others. Not feeling like the "victim" anymore. If  "certain persons" are often in a thread trying to quote everyone of your posts and making silly arguments ... and recently someone gave "confused" a lot - of course I have to use it for them as well.

Also depends on how the person posts. If they are only in the thread every now and then. Talking normally - no problem. But there sure are some people that have the need to split up every of your posts into small quotes ... trying to explain something. (When you feel they just try to make something up - and want to have their opinion be favored by others as well ... desperately trying to fight for it.)

I just wonder why this thing is named "confused" when it meaans "disagree/dislike". There rarely are any posts that are written in a confusing way. (And if so - then you can ask to explain more/better.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

To be honest it not hurts as emoji but from the perspective of someone with power to change things in game who takes a look at the post,reads it and see lots of downgrading emojis  I am sure I don't need to explain what happens next.

Me and my brother usually gets the Confused emoji 90% of our comments even if it's right.

Now back somewhere in time I suggested a modification about this "Confused" emoji.

Okay you are confused,maybe don't understand what the author meant or the english is so bad,good,no offense taken,just explain what are you confused about so it can be escalate into a fruitful discussion or it gets closed and we don't waste time arguing,writing or reading it.

When someone hits the ''confused'' emoji a little window appear where he/she can clarify what he/she is confused about.

Then there's two way ahead:1-Nobody hits the  downgrading confused emoji or 2- it can start good discussion or sometimes  bad ones.

Many good suggestion were stormed by Confused emojis are now forgotten sadly and some of them were just multi accounters who were bothered that their gameplay would be hurt,and is just one of many examples.

Anyway forum mods and devs know what is the best ,we can beat a dead horse for months but it won't move the cart.

Happy Holidays to everybody!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

50 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

90% disapproval

"even if it's right"

why are people this delusional?😂

I don't think you can assume delusion (I'm not saying that poster is right, no idea).  It's entirely possible for 90% of people to be wrong about something, and that's especially true if the sample isn't randomly selected.  I've also seen plenty of confused emotes on posts that are close to objective fact, or at least just neutral (not even a statement that could be subject to true/false assessment).  Even on this page, someone has said that they post confused emotes just to "counter" perceived slights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I don't think you can assume delusion (I'm not saying that poster is right, no idea).  It's entirely possible for 90% of people to be wrong about something, and that's especially true if the sample isn't randomly selected.  I've also seen plenty of confused emotes on posts that are close to objective fact, or at least just neutral (not even a statement that could be subject to true/false assessment).  Even on this page, someone has said that they post confused emotes just to "counter" perceived slights.

I have gotten confusies for posts that contained nothing but the correct cooldown for a specific skill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Every now and then I find myself a fan or four that seem determined to auto-confuse each post I make, regardless of subforum or thread in question.

Making arguments is hard, having something meaningful to add is even harder. Just press confused and act smug. Quality forum.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

2 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

coming from someone whos entire posting history has  around 80%+ confused reactions I would say you generally tend not to know what you're talking about.

Also it's not that 90% of people are wrong, it's that 90% of the posters content is being disagreed with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

Also it's not that 90% of people are wrong, it's that 90% of the posters content is being disagreed with.

"Disagreeing" on something like a given technical advice that is the actual solution to an OP's technical issue/question is not a matter of opinion -- it's pure trolling.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10