We don't quit PVP, we quit the game

magickthief.6492

You got a point there. There's defo a lot of players that pretty much only play sPvP, not caring much for WvW or PvE.

At the same time, and even as one of those people; we the smallest, and we also all hate eachother. Killing PvP was probably a cold, calculated bidness venture that came from a lack of any and all care so they could focus on the real bread winners: PvE, WvW in that order.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

You got a point there. There's defo a lot of players that pretty much only play sPvP, not caring much for WvW or PvE.

At the same time, and even as one of those people; we the smallest, and we also all hate eachother. Killing PvP was probably a cold, calculated bidness venture that came from a lack of any and all care so they could focus on the real bread winners: PvE, WvW in that order.

I mean that many players at least play some pvp, to farm gear. There are pvp only players too, for sure. But, does killing the game mode really benefit the game, if it is like a safe haven for pve players to farm easy gear, and for vets to play what they want alike? Every....wait...almost every player I see that seems to be a vet has nice gem store gear, or PVE legendaries. It feels like a lie, that pvp players only exist...when there is probably only PVP dominant players, but most of those still spend money on the game. I'm thirsty, time for some water though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, magickthief.6492 said:

I mean that many players at least play some pvp, to farm gear. There are pvp only players too, for sure. But, does killing the game mode really benefit the game, if it is like a safe haven for pve players to farm easy gear, and for vets to play what they want alike? Every....wait...almost every player I see that seems to be a vet has nice gem store gear, or PVE legendaries. It feels like a lie, that pvp players only exist...when there is probably only PVP dominant players, but most of those still spend money on the game.

Absolutely, I think there's a good amount of paying players that play that way, and its a shame that get so 🔩'd over.

I don't think the way Anet measures the value of PvP to PvE is very fair either, as I know quite a few people who have been playing this game for years; actual years, who still don't even know PvP exists outside of WvW, or if they do, they know very well not to touch it. 

The death of PvP could easily be viewed; rightly so, as a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

But its undeniably dead at this point. We've got like 2, maybe 3 unpaid interns working on it that don't communicate with us at all, and who are; by their own words, not capable of any PvP-related changes outside of purely numerical balance changes. Meaning no new content, and no changes or additions to the functionality of skills unless it bleeds over from PvE.

Huge waste of potential. Even if it was on accident, Gw2 somehow managed to have the best MMO PvP, period. In its prime anyway.

1 hour ago, magickthief.6492 said:

I'm thirsty, time for some water though.

Beneficent CmC, bless this beverage. 🙏

Edited by Multicolorhipster.9751
  • Haha 1

Considering that they continuously nerfed Firebrand in sPvP over, and over and over again throughout a period of 4 years, even after it was completely useless they STILL overnerfed it... yeah, Anet cares very little about individual classes as long as WvW is taken care of. What ever happens to Firebrand in WvW will directly effect Firebrand in sPvP. So if Firebrand is fine, then FB wont see any love in sPvP because why should Anet start caring now?

There is no unique balance between the game modes like how Anet promised.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Saiyan.1704 you actually know that they just killed firebrand when it comes to pvp for the same reason they also killed scourge? Both specs mechanics are ways too unhealthy for pvp. They dominate the whole pvp scene for like 1 year even while both of them seen some nerfs. So they decided to kill them complete to make room for more classes/builds instead of let this 2 specs dominate pvp for ever.

Also the pvp now is in a better state than ever. Even while some builds are a bit too strong (see you condi tank spellbraker). Like back then the meta was dominated by 2 up to 4 builds. Now there are more or less every class in a meta state (or close to it) with at least one build.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 My friend seems to be not ub to date xd. Those 2 interns are now lead of the over all balance team and trying to made the balance mechanical wise more pvp Focused and number fine tuning for pve. This is how it should be done from the beginning but well... even Anet trys to learn from their mistakes i gues ^^.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, magickthief.6492 said:

So, does killing pvp really benefit the game, if most players play it all?

What did they kill exactly?

It's been like this for a while, and it has more to with new players not even participating in PvP.

Edited by Mell.4873

I play PvE pretty often, but it's usually only to do group content or upon request for support doing X or Y.

When I'm actually relaxing, actively looking for entertainment, I am either in the arena or doing unranked. That's essentially my lobby, and the state of it affects whether or not I go on to play pve at all.

We are not the majority though, not even close. There's three hundred people who play pve only and will never set foot in pvp even if you paid them for every one pvp tryhard. They also make up the bulk of the gem store sales I reckon. Still though, pvp is important- Anyone that is a refugee from another game will peek at the pvp scene when considering joining, especially with the combat being so pleasant. 

Tl;dr continue to pay attention to pvp Anet it is important

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

kitten... go roaming for 10 seconds......    Suddenly balancing in pvp isnt so bad anymore 😉

Does that not prove my point? They nerfed FB across the bored in WvW and sPvP. When Firebrand was no longer meta in sPvP, like.. not even slightly, they still incorporated the Mantra of Solace heal nerf to sPvP which was the worse decision ever next to tomb Quickness changes. All because FB was still overperforming in WvW.

WvW roaming is not all of pvp..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Does that not prove my point? They nerfed FB across the bored in WvW and sPvP. When Firebrand was no longer meta in sPvP, like.. not even slightly, they still incorporated the Mantra of Solace heal nerf to sPvP which was the worse decision ever next to tomb Quickness changes. All because FB was still overperforming in WvW.

WvW roaming is not all of pvp..

Its not a true nerf, they mostly wanted Firebrand to have a more fixed role and playstyle. Before this patch it could pretty much do anything which is why it was so prevelent as a Support. 

Take Druid for example, great support but it can't do any damage what so ever. Firebrand still let you do alot of damage while being a full Support. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I play PvE pretty often, but it's usually only to do group content or upon request for support doing X or Y.

When I'm actually relaxing, actively looking for entertainment, I am either in the arena or doing unranked. That's essentially my lobby, and the state of it affects whether or not I go on to play pve at all.

We are not the majority though, not even close. There's three hundred people who play pve only and will never set foot in pvp even if you paid them for every one pvp tryhard. They also make up the bulk of the gem store sales I reckon. Still though, pvp is important- Anyone that is a refugee from another game will peek at the pvp scene when considering joining, especially with the combat being so pleasant. 

I don't think it is that extreme. 300 to 1... Look at the post count for PvP and General in these forums. 226k to 500k. It is a clue that at least half of the population cares at least somewhat about pvp, even if it is just a little. The pve population doesn't seem more abundant than it did a few years ago, and the ratio of what I personally observe in both modes, is the same, despite having apparently shrank. I could be wrong, with all the new maps, but that begs the question, if the "more maps" is the problem, has GW2 pve population really grown in any significance that is being claimed by those in the "300"? Nothing seems easy to watch in this game, but out of curiousity, aren't the most popular content creators for this game at least titled pvp'ers, despite being pve mains? I don't buy the lack of interest. I feel like it is only of the DEV side that it exists. If anyone is fringe in GW2, it is without a doubt the PVE only never touch pvp players.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I think the sad reality is... that it really isn't that important. To your point about refugees from other games taking a peek at spvp and being driven off, if that was enough to get a refugee to leave, they weren't going to survive long to begin with.

The sorts of things that (I personally guess) keep people here (sunk costs, mostly consumer-friendly experience, low skill floor, social groups, etc) are quite durable outside of spvp. I'd say at this point it's become a huge "all costs, no benefits" situation for ANet to actually work hard on spvp.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

5 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Its not a true nerf, they mostly wanted Firebrand to have a more fixed role and playstyle. Before this patch it could pretty much do anything which is why it was so prevelent as a Support. 

Take Druid for example, great support but it can't do any damage what so ever. Firebrand still let you do alot of damage while being a full Support. 

Since when can druid support. Are 60 healing ticks every sec even relevant?

4 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

I just ment in general, if you think it can't heal then that's fine. I guess another example is Willbenders since It has no support outside Core rather it's all about upfront aggression. 

Edited by Mell.4873

15 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

Auto numbers ain't superior,  but you can lots of healing for others. 

You can have around 2k healing from AW,  followed by extra Regen from SC as setup for ~2,5k on AG with extra 2,5k healing on top of that due to water field blast. Then you get your extra 60 healing ticks after that as filler, unless you go CA for much bigger numbers, especially when LI has huge daze, which prevents damage from happening. Still not really "support" compared to Guardian/Tempest.

Edited by Morwath.9817

6 hours ago, Morwath.9817 said:

Auto numbers ain't superior,  but you can lots of healing for others. 

You can have around 2k healing from AW,  followed by extra Regen from SC as setup for ~2,5k on AG with extra 2,5k healing on top of that due to water field blast. Then you get your extra 60 healing ticks after that as filler, unless you go CA for much bigger numbers, especially when LI has huge daze, which prevents damage from happening. Still not really "support" compared to Guardian/Tempest.

It’s an absolutely horrible support, but still core guard probably has less damage than even this- so why it’s used as a topic starter??? No one knows 

On 12/14/2022 at 2:54 AM, Pati.2438 said:

@Multicolorhipster.9751 My friend seems to be not ub to date xd. Those 2 interns are now lead of the over all balance team and trying to made the balance mechanical wise more pvp Focused and number fine tuning for pve. This is how it should be done from the beginning but well... even Anet trys to learn from their mistakes i gues ^^.

I appreciate you bringing me into the loop, but the part i've highlighted in bold is a straight lie.

Even just lately, skimming through the patch notes there hasn't been a PvP exclusive mechanical change, unless you count the changes to Firebrand; which isn't really PvP exclusive, just gives tomes in PvP higher resource cost and CD, which if you enjoy; that's wonderful, but I can't say its any different from anything i've seen before.

Anet tries to learn from their mistakes, yeah? Could you explain to me then what the mastermind behind the Feb 2020 patch is doing heading all game balance then? I wish them the best of course, but there's no denying that's a high lateral movement for who was just a few months ago a relatively controversial character.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 well this Mastermind called CmC does the febr. 2020 patch back them simply cause of 2 reasons. 

First Reason:

He was only allowed to change numbers back then and not mechanical things.

Second Reason:

He does the February patch to get somewhat handle over the Power creep that Was going on back then. (Even while it killed some classes it was a right and needed step but I gues we could call this a Personal opinion)

Actually he now is just the lead (with roy if im right) from the balance team so of course he also is now allowed to rework skills mechanicly and not only in terms of numbers. And yes I would call most of the latest patches pvp focused. Let's see what those changes does to letz say warr? (Im warr Main so this is the class i know the most)

1. Banners apply boons: this might have killed a unique buff but made it somewhat variable for pvp as a defence/supp option. Also its now a ok source of quickness apply for warrs 

2. Defence traitline rework: This buffs warrior just alot in competitive. But not only there. There is now also a good option for a defence spellbraker in pve groups

3. Some cc skills gain some dmg back: this made room for more build options overall (abit late but still a good thing)

4. Rework of Berserker: You can not tell me that this was not meant to be a pvp focused one. Since the core burst skill Was not even close needed in pve but pretty mutch in pvp. ( also there might need to be some nerfs and buffs on the right skills here aswell but we will see what future bring)

Overall in all last patches there where only good things (okay rifle engi was a bit stupid but we all do mistakes right?) Also yes in my eyes those firebrand "rework?" was also a good step in the right direction since you now have the option to work with cost for boon resouces. (Still it might need some nerfs and buffs on the right sides but there is hope we might see firebrand been back in pvp in a large future).

Just to not make it longer. To me yes this is 100% pvp focused at least in the last big patches. The list of different pvp meta builds just speak for itself when you compare it to the meta build from 1,5 years ago ^^.

• Like 2