How do you carry in ranked?

Kstyle.5829

I don't know what is going on but my teammates are horrible every single game.  It happens so frequently it actually breaks the laws of statistics.  I don't understand how matchmaking can work this way for my team but not the other.  I have lost like 35 out of the last 40 games and I have done really well in every game in spite of the fact that we keep losing.  The better I play the worse my team does if they even play at all.  

If we have no support I always go healer, and I'll do usually 600-700k healing a game and our team scores 0 kills.  The just flock around me in mid for 5 minutes straight until the other team finally decides to gang up on me.  We always lose these games like 500 to 50.  I've tried playing DPS and score 28 kills a match and win every teamfight, but we only hold that one base and lose the other 2.   The closest I come is when I play my main which is d/p daredevil and just roam the whole time decapping bases.  But even if I do this the entire time and get 200+ points on offense or defense it's not enough to win.  I don't understand how people can say "you belong in your elo, if you're good you would just carry".   I used to always be in platinum elo, and after tilting down to gold I just go lower and lower.  The better I do the worse my elo gets.  Now I've tanked all the way down to silver.  And I just lose every single game, I've lost like 300 elo already and I'm still going lower.  

It just don't understand how much more I can possibly contribute.  I've single handedly earned my team 350 points in games before and we lose 500 to 365.    And I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm doing well every single game.  In silver I'm considerably better than every person I fight. I win every single duel, I can make the difference in teamfights.  But it still doesn't win the game.  I can't be enough places at once.  Nomatter where I go, they just avoid me and take the other bases and my team loses every single encounter. It's like the game puts bad players on my team to balance it out or something.  The last game I had a first time player on catalyst spend the whole time dead and rifle mechanist.  Tried to tell the mech that rifle was nerffed and to play something else and he just called me a noob and says he tops damage all the time and he like's mech because theres less skills to "click".

I guess ranked is just trash now?  I'm gonna stop putting any care into it anymore.  It seems like regardless of what you do once you're stuck in elo hell its all over.

Edited by Kstyle.5829
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Avatar.3568 said:

Some Games are Not winnable, but If you rotate good and Carey the Fights it should work in more than 50% of the time, If you Play of hours this might be Not working anymore 

There's no fights to rotate too.  My teammates literally are just dead 100% of the time.  Any where I rotate to the other team has already killed all my teammates and taken the base.  Anywhere I go, I win the base.  And my team loses the other 2.  Every single time. 

Edited by Kstyle.5829
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Logan.4796 said:

In any ranked game that you can't premake a full team with. You need to become "MASTER CHIEF"

Which means you need to play at platinum level performance to get out of silver and gold.

Because regardless if you have 2/5 counting yourself and a giga chad friend of yours.

You MUST be prepared to carry 3 absolutely awful team mates that can only press the number 1.

This statement is true for League of Legends and pretty much any ranked matchmaking system you go into without a full premade lobby of friends you know personally.

I just solo que I don't have any friends I play with so that would explain alot.  I was able to carry better in the old days but it seems like the game died and matchmaking got worse or something

• Like 1

Losing 35 out of 40 matches, i gotta say the common factor is you.

Once I was playing meme builds and end up almost silver 2, i couldnt climb back even with my best build

So I started using an over glass clannon guardian build, I'd just go mid and cover the node in symbols, as the silvers player are not very smart, they rather let their mother die than step out of the node, I'd just delete all their team over and over.  I got 33%-40% team dmg almost every match

It was pretty easy climb back to mid gold 2 with this strtegy. I dont like to play DH, but it's certainly one of the best builds for the job, never take any 1v1, just go to the bigger fights and stack all your traps on node, ppl will willingly walk in and die.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

IIt's like the game puts bad players on my team to balance it out or something.

This is literally how the matchmaker works, and why it sucks. You'll have this problem less and less as you drop further down, but when you're higher above the other players the game tries to put total newbies with you in order to make it balance with the same average rating as the enemy team.

For example if the enemy team average is 1200 and you're 1600, the other players on your team can't be above rating 1100 because it has to average out to 1200. This means on average the players on your team will be worse (sometimes significantly worse) than the enemy team, just because you're better.

Its more complex than this, but its the general idea.

This wasn't a big problem in the past due to much larger playerbase, but now the matchmaker has to grasp at straws, and the majority of players are silver or below due to mass burnout and player base turnover.

Think about it, how often do you see a platinum badge in the lobby or in PvE?

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 6

Turn your brain off and DuoQ. Not with someone you know and respect, but with a total stranger that you can only barely tolerate because of their abhuman capacity to carry matches while you level woodcutting in OSRS in another tab.

Its an advantage over every soloq and soloqs make up like 80-90% of the ranked playerbase so just abuse the frak out of it and you'll do fine probs.

If that doesn't work, pay someone to do it for you. That's the Gw2 pro method.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

words

How to carry:

option a) Pick a highmobility+High Damage class. 

This is your first mistake here. You are playing either support (relies on teammates) or you play d/p thief (relies on teammates). Those two are not suited to carry. As a support you NEED your teammates.. there is no way around this. And a DrD shines when you have ongoing 1v1 fights on a sidenode, you then quickly step in, securing the kill in the +1 and then rotate off. However... if there is no teammate that can hold its ground in the 1v1 long enough for you to arrive...... you are suddenly degraded to a decapbot.

my suggestion: Either Play Untamed/Cata/Deadeye. All of them have high mobility and burstdamage. If you outskill your opponent you can decide fights in mere second, securing the advantage for your team. 

option b, not recommended) Be Sidenoder...

The thing is here... you can only carry effectively as sidenoder, when there is noone in the enemy team that can reliably 1v1 you. When there is noone that can reliably 1v1 you, you are your wincondition, because one of the two things will happen:

1) the enemy sidenoder will try and get you over and over and over again, dying, while you keep ahold of his node.

or

2) they have to atleast send two people. From here on you simply do the loop-di-loop around the objective, wasting both of these players time. Your team will be in a 4v3 and hopefully win the rest of the match. Your job is to simply not die.... you dont have to keep the node occupied... what you have to do is keep those two players away from your Team.

Suggestion: play Spb/Condiranger/ 😉SignetTempest😉

Thats how i climb atleast.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Play Ranked on the prime time (after work hours) , weekends are off since you have only weekend players with volatile rating that doesn't match their skill level if you still want to play on weekends again prime time, it will still be off but not by that much. 
Playing less games a day gives you better rating, spamming games one after another causes the game to punish you for some reason. Also if you are spamming games it will put you in the same team over and over if they are kinda lets say bad at the game.
G3 P1 gets kittened up when the leaderboard manipulation starts usually ends seasons, but there seems to be wintrade days through out the season, if you see someone typing and being semi afk or just afk in those ratings its probably a tanker alt don't play anymore games today or just go unranked.

• Like 1

All depends on comp, but even bad teams I found rotating between home and far works well to pull some from mid.  If you can 1v2 / 1v3 (even if not killing just stalling) then it can swing games massively.  

Some games are unwinnable though, that is for sure; if you have a good player on a meta build on opposite side and bad team on your side, then probably going to lose if anyone on their team is not a bot/afk.  

• Like 1

Well ... the healer stuff should be obvious. If others can't kill ... then healing them does not make sense. You should go for the kill then. So the thing what the people with mobility + damage suggested ... seems not like a wrong idea.

If you really are that much stronger ... complaining that the team only holds one point ... then with the high mobility you can cap another point and deny it to th enemy by moving quickly between the two points (and using your high dps to spike down enemies so you can move to the other point again quickly as needed).

People sometimes adapt though ... that is those rare matches where it is 200 vs 50 with maybe one strong guy having helped to get the 200 ... then others figuring out how to counter him + then the team with 200 turning to lose if their only strong guy is countered and the others fall apart then. If you try strictly only one thing (without changing/adapting yourself quickly as needed) ... this won't work of course.

28 kills and losing? Maybe fighting somewhere and ignoring that it might be needed to switch to go to somewhere else to cap even if it would mean to move away from the fight?

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

Outside what was already said, my personal experience is that I find more success with more team fight oriented classes/roamers with high burst and nice cleave.

E.g. Dragonhunter can be fairly effective since people in lower elo like to brawl it out around nodes and don't pay too much attention to your traps, which can be deadly. Combined with the true shot you can burst people down pretty quickly.

Same goes for engineer, specifically scrapper where you can save your teammates with Funciton Gyro or finish downed opponents. Again, people often don't pay attention to the gyro which is free kill for you.

Also if you can somehow peel for your teammates it can help as well.

I did find some decent success with zerker or bladesworn as well (again big dps and you can disrupt the teamfight quite well), or just general with warrior where you can lock down the focused target.

In the end some games are unwinnable even if you try your hardest, which is the point where you should stop and don't waste your effort on such match.

Edited by Greyrat.2378
edit: spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

Playing less games a day gives you better rating,

Yup, I play till I lose 2 games, even with core ele I'm playing 5 to 7 game/day, weekends are weird like you said so I play like 4 games max. I'm mid gold 3 atm

And most important I dont tilt doing this

Edited by Khalisto.5780
  • Like 1

STOP BLAMING TEAMMATES

Sometimes they are horrible, but 90% is YOUR FAULT

Learn to rotate (check yt) and think what could YOU do better, not your team.

Edit: IF YOU ARE SILVER, YOU ARENT DOING ANYTHING WELL AND YOU DONT CARRY ANYTHING

Use proper keybinds and build.

If u say u win every duel, then go far and keep 1v1ing everything there. When 1v2 run around so ur team can 4v3 meanwhile or just win ur 1v2. Dont die or you are throwing.

Edited by yayy.7584
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, yayy.7584 said:

STOP BLAMING TEAMMATES

Sometimes they are horrible, but 90% is YOUR FAULT

Learn to rotate (check yt) and think what could YOU do better, not your team.

Edit: IF YOU ARE SILVER, YOU ARENT DOING ANYTHING WELL AND YOU DONT CARRY ANYTHING

Use proper keybinds and build.

If u say u win every duel, then go far and keep 1v1ing everything there. When 1v2 run around so ur team can 4v3 meanwhile or just win ur 1v2. Dont die or you are throwing.

If I'm getting 30 kills a game and doing 700k damage or scoring 250 points on offense I think I'm doing fine.  The problem is everybody else thinks they are the ones carrying.  So if I play carry dps we have 4 other carry dps that just fall over and spend the entire time in chat telling everyone how to play while they are respawning in graveyard.

Like I said.. I played this game for about 10 years. I  have always been in plat rank.  It's just after coming back after a year break even after playing for a couple weeks now I can't get up there myself .  But like others said its not really my fault it's that I'm solo queing.  I understand the sentiment.  There are alot of bad players who think its someone elses fault.  But that's not the case with me.  Every single game on scoreboard i'm  top everying.  Offense, defense, healing, damage, kills, revives.  Doing above 50% of everything for my team and we still lose.  So I'm pretty aware thats not my issue.  Silly advice like "learn to rotate" is not something people don't understand yet who played at 1700 elo for years.

When I came back my skill rating never reset so It was still around 1700 and I'd ask my teammates why they didn't understand simple things by at least gold rank and they were like "you're silver cuz I'm silver"  so it was putting me + 4 silver players against a gold elo team and just get blasted until my skill rating lowered.  They should have just reset everyones skill and personal rating to zero when the population dropped.   Maybe these days silver is what platinum was 2 or 3 years ago due to the decline in population.  It doesn't really feel like  the people on my team were on my skill level though, it seems more like the enemies were when I was around gold 2.  And that might be what my elo belongs at this point.  

Edited by Kstyle.5829
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

If I'm getting 30 kills a game and doing 700k damage or scoring 250 points on offense I think I'm doing fine.  The problem is everybody else thinks they are the ones carrying.  So if I play carry dps we have 4 other carry dps that just fall over and spend the entire time in chat telling everyone how to play while they are respawning in graveyard.

Like I said.. I played this game for about 10 years. I  have always been in plat rank.  It's just after coming back after a year break even after playing for a couple weeks now I can't get up there myself .  But like others said its not really my fault it's that I'm solo queing.  I understand the sentiment.  There are alot of bad players who think its someone elses fault.  But that's not the case with me.  Every single game on scoreboard i'm  top everying.  Offense, defense, healing, damage, kills, revives.  Doing above 50% of everything for my team and we still lose.  So I'm pretty aware thats not my issue.  Silly advice like "learn to rotate" is not something people don't understand yet who played at 1700 elo for years.

When I came back my skill rating never reset so It was still around 1700 and I'd ask my teammates why they didn't understand simple things by at least gold rank and they were like "you're silver cuz I'm silver"  so it was putting me + 4 silver players against a gold elo team and just get blasted until my skill rating lowered.  They should have just reset everyones skill and personal rating to zero when the population dropped.   Maybe these days silver is what platinum was 2 or 3 years ago due to the decline in population.  It doesn't really feel like  the people on my team were on my skill level though, it seems more like the enemies were when I was around gold 2.  And that might be what my elo belongs at this point.  

U are a clear liar, playing at 1700+ yet u ask for advice on how to carry on forum? U were 1700+ and ure stuck in silver now?

2 years ago 1750 was top25.

Edited by yayy.7584
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, yayy.7584 said:

U are a clear liar, playing at 1700+ yet u ask for advice on how to carry on forum? U were 1700+ and ure stuck in silver now?

I dunno if you don't realize this but 1700 elo today is not the same thing.  I was much higher than 1700 5 years ago.  The longer time goes on and the more people who quit the more elo drops.   Anyway I'm in bottom of gold now after just having played healer every game I guess I'll get a duo going and run dps should be able to get up near bottom of plat.

Edited by Kstyle.5829
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kstyle.5829 said:

I dunno if you don't realize this but 1700 elo today is not the same thing.  I was much higher than 1700 5 years ago.  The longer time goes on and the more people who quit the more elo drops.  

g3 is 50% winrate

you were g2 and dropped to silver?

and u said 2yrs ago 1700+

Edited by yayy.7584
  • Like 1

Losing is inevitable but like many players said before you should be able to carry most games. 

Most of my advises would not even be game related. You can be in the top 250 by playing a non meta build and mouse clicking your utilities.

The n°1 rule is “do not self sabotage your games”.

• Play the game: This is not ironic. I have seen too many games lost because someone decided it was lost. You can turn a 50-350 into a 500-450. It happens way more than people expect. Curious coincidence : it happens more with chill teammates than with “top forum players” I have seen go afk in my games.
  • Communicating is not blaming or do not be the one starting chat wars: There is a reason even on the forum people recommend to mute the chat. It can easily distract or trigger making people lose focus thus increasing mistakes. Good communication is short (and polite) “let’s regroup close” but timing is also important. “Careful, try not to die” is nice and simple but if you say it after a death the (already frustrated) player will take it badly. Believe it or not but saying “hello” at the start or “wp war” at the end if you think your warrior played well helps.
  • Focus on yourself : who cares If you have a staff weaver in your team? If they are there this means they are good enough to make it work. Watching them will make you lose focus.
  • Find a build or a position you enjoy : Enjoying the game is the best way to keep playing, thus leaning and improving.

Finally some game focused tips for any level:

• Change some skills / utilities : Playing multiple professions is awesome but you will probably have a main build / profession. Changing 1 or 2 utilities and the rune can already have a huge impact on making you better at dealing with condis or with power builds.  
  • Map movement: Knowledge is power. Seeing a downstate in the recap corner, your teammates hp, the enemies in range, the minimap. All those are hints for what you can and cannot do. Should I come mid to help or go far? Can I leave the teamfight to force them? If you enjoy mobas or watching tournaments commentary you can learn a lot from them.

• Die as little as possible: Sometimes you can help your allies to rally or get a counter kill but if you are solo queue remember that you play for yourself. Not dying means that you do not give points to the enemy, you cannot be bled. Going back to your spawn or decapping even if this means letting your allies die is also a valid solution because it will split the enemies.
Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yayy.7584 said:

g3 is 50% winrate

you were g2 and dropped to silver?

and u said 2yrs ago 1700+

I think you care way to much about this in spite of the fact you don't understand how it works.  Going around calling people liars because they are better than you at some video game because you just can't fathom it.   Believe what you want. Do what you want. I don't care.  

• Confused 3

1) you're not crazy,  matchmaking is actually awful

2) you cannot carry your team as a healer. you have to be a sweaty tryhard 100% focused with your best soundtrack blasting on a high damage high mobility class if you want to even come close to carrying.

The way this game works, one person can absolutely throw a match. The number of griefers I see in this game is absolutely infuriating. AFK at base, flaming team chat. It makes me hate sPvP because so few games are actually determined by skill. Probably 25% are completely unwinnable and 25% are unlosable due to griefers. But one person cannot realistically carry a match unless they are orders of magnitude better than everyone else on the field.

So good luck crawling out of low rank. At low rank you get griefers throwing temper tantrums and at high rank you get win trading and other forms of match manipulation. Sweet spot for fair, decent matches might be around g3.

Usually, you can't carry teams that are outskilled by the enemy.

When your team members can't make it you can help them but you also need to hold points. And you can't help the central fight and hold side nodes at the same time. Maybe at night, when matches are unbalanced to reduce queue times at off-hours you can be the platinum or legendary player in a silver or bronze team. Then you can sometimes have fun and carry all the newbs and get all the winning stats for dps, healing, rezzing and kills. But this is a bit rare.

40 Losses on 45 matches is rare tho. Something must have happened causing you to have a considerable higher skill rating than your skill level which makes the game think you can handle more difficult matches than you really can. My experience is that these cases are usually resolved in 15 games or less. Then you lost enough rating to get easier games and then you will start to win again.

But freak occurrences always happen I guess.