So, why is Forest of Niflhel still in ranked?

Justforvisit.3709

Raid on the Capricorn - Was completely eradicated from PvP and the game for good, since underwater combat wasn't favoured in PvP and felt too unbalanced.
Spirit Watch - Was removed at least from ranked since it was thought of as being too unbalanced for structured PvP matches.

Spirit of Niflhel - Still in ranked, despite this:

Recently I had a few matches there and was going for the beast several times for fast extra points. The following thing happened two times in short succession:

It was only me and an enemy there, both fighting for it. When it was very low health but not completely dead yet I had the foresight to stun my opponent and finish it off on my own,. There were no damage condis on the beasts, and I did the last strike for sure.

And STILL the enemy team did get the points for slaying it?!

How? Do the points in general go to that team which did the most damage on it? Or I might have overseen some source of damage and it is last hit?
Anyways, both cases are a massive source of frustration and feel completely unbalanced to me.

Are you supposed to block off enemy entrance with your whole team and thus doing so abandon every other cappoint the map has?

How has this bullsh*t mechanic never been seen as completely unbalanced, especially since the same logic applies here that applies to the removal of Spirit Watch from ranked: "If one team is faster it has an unfair advantage".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14

23 hours ago, Peter.3901 said:

The only map that make sense is Capricorn because all classes can compete, any other favors some class in particular.

I strongly disagree, at least for every gamemode that isn't AT.

Capricorn favors which ever team that is... simply put, better. If you lose the first team vs team Bell rumble then the odds of winning the next Bell is extremely slim and that map is all about willing Bell. When you know your team is struggling on Bell there's very little counterplay you can do to change that 25/50/75 point scenario. Try getting stuck with two thieves/mesmer/ranger vs war/engi/guard. The latter team comp has a much higher chance of winning bell, even IF they manage to full cap side nodes during Bell captures.

Temple of the Silent Storm has very strong map mechanics as well but there's two of them-- You could get any single buff on that map and have it make a world of difference for your team. Likewise, if you can't win Tranquility you can at least pre-emptively send people on side node for an immediate decap. So rotations can play a huge factor even if you have a comp that can't team vs team.

@Justforvisit.3709Spirit of Niflhel's beast map mechanic literally requires map awareness so you don't get the beast stolen.... the players who go after beast immediately the moment they appear on the map, are the same players who QQ about it getting stolen... when confronted their excuse is always the same.

"it's 25 points!! I HAVE to get it and fast!!!"
facepalm

Every veteran player knows when and when not to kill the beasts... and it's almost never when the beasts immediately spawn.

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Every veteran player knows when and when not kill the beasts... and it's almost never when the beasts immediately spawn.

A while ago I had a player who was waiting on the spawn point for beast for fricking 45 seconds. Just standing there waiting for the beast instead of doing absolutely anything on the map that actually helps.

I swear, people are actively losing brain cells over these beasts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

A while ago I had a player who was waiting on the spawn point for beast for fricking 45 seconds. Just standing there waiting for the beast instead of doing absolutely anything on the map that actually helps.

I swear, people are actively losing brain cells over these beasts.

I came to the view a long time ago that the entire PvP game-mode is an elaborate science-project exploring the nature of human stupidity.

• Like 1

beasts need to award points to the team that does the most damage not who gets the kill.

basing it off of kill means a thief (or any character with stealth) can hide in stealth and hit him at the last second to get the points then even if the enemy does kill him in vengeance, he still earned 20 points for his team.

also, the enemy can cc focus you at the last second and get the kill when you are stunned.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

beasts need to award points to the team that does the most damage not who gets the kill.

basing it off of kill means a thief (or any character with stealth) can hide in stealth and hit him at the last second to get the points then even if the enemy does kill him in vengeance, he still earned 20 points for his team.

also, the enemy can cc focus you at the last second and get the kill when you are stunned.

That's the whole point of the beast mechanic... if you change it then there isn't any counterplay and it becomes a worthless mechanic. If players can't count enemies on their minimap or can't control their urges to immediately go after beast when it spawns... then you deserve to get it stolen. Period.

We dont need these map mechanics to be dumbed down for unskilled/unaware players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

That's the whole point of the beast mechanic... if you change it then there isn't any counterplay and it becomes a worthless mechanic. If players can't count enemies on their minimap or can't control their urges to immediately go after beast when it spawns... then you deserve to get it stolen. Period.

We dont need these map mechanics to be dumbed down for unskilled/unaware players.

True. That it can get stolen by last hitting the beast is the only slightly interesting feature this mechanic has. If that's removed, we might as well put a dps test golem on the map and declare the team with the higher dps to be the winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

I understand what you mean.

It might be nice to have points awarded on first hit then on last hit so that if a player decides to fight it then he gets a little bonus for being on top of things then people can steal away.

• Haha 2