What missing weapon/theme/gameplay niche do you want?

ZvolTx.3165

I'd love to see a bandit or saboteur type spec with torch offhand and light/dark attunements. Ideally fitting into an AoE+brawler type setup that would work well in large-scale WvW content, which has always been missing from Thief. I imagine it having mechanics that prevent stealthing while in light attunement, with the tradeoff of having more powerful skills + AoE or other mechanics which work well in zerg fights, with defensive skills + mechanics and group utility for large-scale while in dark attunement. 

What's the class currently lacking that you'd like to see added? 

18 minutes ago, ZvolTx.3165 said:

Ideally fitting into an AoE+brawler type setup that would work well in large-scale WvW content

Isn't daredevil supposed to represent that?

In terms of gameplay, I hope the next spec is going to be a quickness provider. Currently, thief just has access to alacrity, but just with the specter elite spec so this class is still allowed to get another elite spec for quickness (unlike ranger or warrior). And another gameplay niche I miss on thief is "minion master". Thief and warrior are the only classes left without the "zoo playstyle" with lots of minions surrounding them.

Thematically, I would like this spec to be a "gang leader". Someone who has their own little group of thugs and criminals they do organized crime with. The best weapon to go with that would probably be a mainhand axe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ZvolTx.3165 said:

What's the class currently lacking that you'd like to see added? 

Proper fast paced mid ranged run & gun gameplay. Also, the related traits / weapon skills should constantly apply the "Revealed" debuff to the user so that there wont be any excuses as for why "XY" aspect of it isn't as good as it should have been.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Confused 1

I wanted a spec that changed all stealth applications to a shadow barrier instead so it could be balanced better with fun stuff other classes get to do because stealth doesn't exist for them but they already half arsed that with Specter and ruined the opportunity. Though I wanted black flame dual Torch for that 😛

Only other thing I'd think is cool is a Dual Axe Barbarian Bandit/Brigand type theme which would emphasize a Mug type steal a lot. Hell, make Steal a grabbing move so they can have their way with their enemy.

Then there's other common rogue-type classes that don't exist here like Dancer and Bard but that would require new animations and creative effort which wouldn't be wasted on Thief. 🙂

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Haha 1

+1 for offhand sword. But that'd massively depend upon what it'd bring to the table. Otherwise, not really that fussed -- maybe something thematically darker; shadows (but probably too close to clones?), or potions, poisons, alchemy sort of flavour. 

Edited by Chips.7968

9 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It does fit into the brawler category, for sure, and staff does offer some AoE through vault, but its still more useful in mid-small scale. It doesn't translate especially well into large-scale, at least not in a pug zerg. It's had some use at times in GvG and that type of organized group, but even then it's been relegated to focus parties and doesn't have the kit to be able to fill similar roles as your typical front-line builds, or into backline DPS roles either. Also, staff DD just isn't what it once was, especially considering the power creep of other options over time. 

Specter has SOME backline potential, but the small AoE radiuses and reliance on being in melee for wells significantly hampers its performance compared to other options, not to mention the relatively bad survivability in large-scale since the main defensive advantage (personal mobility) doesn't really do much in zerg fights when most of the time you're wanting to stick on your allies. 

8 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Proper fast paced mid ranged run & gun gameplay. Also, the related traits / weapon skills should constantly apply the "Revealed" debuff to the user so that there wont be any excuses as for why "XY" aspect of it isn't as good as it should have been.

It doesn't exactly fit what you're saying, but I find power P/P daredevil plays run & gun midrange pretty well, bounding in black powder, sneak attack and unloads. P/P does feel pretty underwhelming without SA and DD+bound, though, since the blinds and stealth repositioning really carry the build. 

7 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Only other thing I'd think is cool is a Dual Axe Barbarian Bandit/Brigand type theme which would emphasize a Mug type steal a lot. Hell, make Steal a grabbing move so they can have their way with their enemy.

I think MH axe would work well with my OH torch wants - similar(ish) theme as well! An idea of mine for steal was to make it a ground target AoE, so that with the right traits you'd have an AoE daze+boonrip+whatever else, probably on a higher CD. It'd be awesome for big fights and could be super valuable, actually earning thief a place in squads. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

In terms of gameplay, I hope the next spec is going to be a quickness provider. Currently, thief just has access to alacrity, but just with the specter elite spec so this class is still allowed to get another elite spec for quickness (unlike ranger or warrior). And another gameplay niche I miss on thief is "minion master". Thief and warrior are the only classes left without the "zoo playstyle" with lots of minions surrounding them.

Thematically, I would like this spec to be a "gang leader". Someone who has their own little group of thugs and criminals they do organized crime with. The best weapon to go with that would probably be a mainhand axe.

100% about daredevil.

Haha gang leader, that might be fun to see. I wonder if it could upgrade thieves guild.

17 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

데어데블이 그것을 대표하는 것이 아닌가?

게임 플레이 측면에서 다음 사양은 순발력 제공자가 되길 바랍니다. 현재 도둑은 민첩성에 접근할 수 있지만 스펙터 엘리트 사양만 있으면 이 클래스는 순발력을 위해 다른 엘리트 사양을 얻을 수 있습니다(레인저나 전사와 달리). 그리고 Thief에서 놓친 또 다른 게임 플레이 틈새는 "minion master"입니다. 도둑과 전사는 주변에 많은 미니언이 있는 "동물원 플레이 스타일"이 없는 유일한 클래스입니다.

주제별로는 이 사양이 "갱 리더"가 되었으면 합니다. 조직 범죄를 저지르는 작은 깡패 및 범죄자 그룹이있는 사람. 그와 함께 갈 최고의 무기는 아마도 메인 핸드 도끼 일 것입니다.

That's an interesting suggestion. I like the summoning concept.

I thought about the concept of a Ninja using Clone. Additional weapons are the focus to support ninjutsu!

Normal thief's F1 is stealing, F2 is using stolen skills.

Ninja's F1 basically spawns clones that move within weapon range and perform normal attacks.

When a ninja uses a weapon skill, the clone also uses the same skill on the same target or location and disappears (F2's role). (Imagine Zed from League of Legends.)

At this time, the skill's initiative usage increases.

Perhaps Deadly Arts' Improvisation will allow the clone to use the skill twice.

Using utility skills, Ninja can explode clones (like a mesmer) or swap clones and bodies.

Or how about an elite skill that instantly increases your clone count? (Naruto???)

The clone's duration can be seconds, similar to Rev's energy system or Holo/Druid's energy system.

Alternatively, there could be a method whereby the initiative continuously diminishes while the clone is summoned.

Edited by shinvold.3618
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

A stealth class that uses a rifle would be cool...like a sniper theme...

Yeah, kinda like the Kaineng Overlook Sniper boss who fires large AoE circle explosions from her Rifle and AoE bounces bullets around. I'd love a spec like that, I'm surprised they haven't added one.

From the wiki:

The Sniper
  • The Sniper occasionally teleports on top of a nearby tower around the large platform. She will then target a player for a sniper shot, which alternates between two types after each teleport:
    • Players tracked by an orange laser will also be followed by a red, outlined circle around them. If not mitigated, this attack deals heavy damage to the target and ricochets between players inside the area-of-effect. This sniper is susceptible to projectile destruction and reflects.
    • Players tracked by an green laser will soon take very heavy damage that also splashes onto nearby players. The player furthest from The Sniper will be marked with the Greens mechanic. Simultaneously, the defiance bar will unlock on the boss and must be broken to interrupt the attack. This sniper shot is indestructible, unavoidable, and cannot be reflected.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after we burned our chance at "cool shadow magic" spec with Spectre, as well as the possibility of Shadow Form as a shroud-like defensive replacement to stealth (to get people to stop whinging) ...

... I'd have to say either minions / clones, or take Steal in a new direction:  instead of single-use "stolen skills," the Thief steals entire kits from enemies, engineer style.  Either could fare well with off-hand focus, which would actually open up more dual-wield skills (you know, that class mechanic they generally try to pretend we don't have).

Literally anything that actually tries to have synergy with core Thief rather than replace or supersede it (as much as I love Daredevil, it's still just Acrobatics 2.0, much like Deadeye's Rifle is Dual Pistols 2.0 and scepter is main-hand pistol 3.0 (albeit without the power scaling)).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Joncal.9623 said:

Bow would make the most sense archetype wise.

Kinda hoping for a Bard/Artist/Acrobat espec next. 

A single target Longbow doesn't sound too exciting, just like our single target Rifle. They made it very clear they won't allow us to have any ranged AoE weapons other than Shortbow~ which they don't allow to do good damage. Rather stick with new melee weapons just to avoid that.

(inb4 they decide to give us a single-target melee weapon 😓)

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

A single target Longbow doesn't sound too exciting, just like our single target Rifle. They made it very clear they won't allow us to have any ranged AoE weapons other than Shortbow~ which they don't allow to do good damage. Rather stick with new melee weapons just to avoid that.

(inb4 they decide to give us a single-target melee weapon 😓)

A boon support/healer longbow bard archetype! I called it!
Exciting and useful. 😄

Ah, but we'll probs get single target hammer or something. Fun.

Edited by Joncal.9623
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1