Get some good rewards in WvW, and they take it away

misterman.1530

This is why WvW can't have nice things. Great rewards for a week or so, and then they saw people having fun and getting half decent stuff. They must have sat around their boardroom wringing their hands wonderlng how that possibly could have come to pass. 

"No. Thou shalt not get good stuff in WvW! Pah, to rewards we-thinks. If we doth make it even less rewarding, perhaps we shalt not have to support this mode for much longer."

Then they laughed maniacally.

Or perhaps this is just the flu fever speaking and I need some sleep. Either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Could you elaborate?

From today's Patch notes:

World vs. World

General

• Adjusted the rewards granted by Objective Scaling Rewards.

• Added weekly achievements for defending towers and keeps.

They seriously curtailed the rewards you get for defending (SMC for instance) - a successful defense used to give Grandmaster Mark Shards pretty much every time. Now, nope. SInce they haven't explained well, or provided any details ('natch) we can't really tell if what they mean by "adjusted the rewards". Does it mean you still get rewards, just not as many Grandmaster Mark Shards? Does it mean they increased the rewards (hahahaha)? Or does it mean they just blanket reduced them.

At least they added defense achievements...slow clap.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

From today's Patch notes:

World vs. World

General

• Adjusted the rewards granted by Objective Scaling Rewards.

• Added weekly achievements for defending towers and keeps.

They seriously curtailed the rewards you get for defending (SMC for instance) - a successful defense used to give Grandmaster Mark Shards pretty much every time. Now, nope. SInce they haven't explained well, or provided any details ('natch) we can't really tell if what they mean by "adjusted the rewards". Does it mean you still get rewards, just not as many Grandmaster Mark Shards? Does it mean they increased the rewards (hahahaha)? Or does it mean they just blanket reduced them.

At least they added defense achievements...slow clap.

From my testing the only change I have seen is reduced grandmaster mark shard/skirmish ticket from T3 SMC defense only. It still gives at least on par with T3 keep /tower. If you have other data with screenshots proving it I would love to see it since I am helping document this for the wiki.

The key thing is it needs to be gold tier defense.

• T3 SMC (gold) defense = shard
  • T3 SMC silver defense = shard
  • T0 SMC silver cap = 1 ticket, 1 shard
  • T0 SMC bronze cap = 1 ticket , no grandmaster mark shard
  • T0 SMC gold defense - ticket but no shard = ticket intact
  • T1 SMC defense failure = ticket + shard <---- lol.
  • T3 EBG tower Defense (gold) = shard
  • t3 silver keep defense = no shard
  • T3 silver tower defense = no shard
  • T3 silver keep defense no shard
  • T3 keep cap bronze (EWP was pulled and I was not in ring) --- shard + ticket
  • T2 keep defense gold - ticket but no shard = ticket intact
  • T2 keep defense silver no tickets anymore
  • T0 keep cap bronze no tickets or shards
  • T0 tower cap bronze no tickets or shards
  • T3 tower cap bronze 1 ticket , no shard

^ More notes from tonight

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

So Borderlands remain the poor man's domain. SMH.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Nice. So, less incentive for brainless blobbing or at least more incentive to def against superior numbers. And off-time gets more attractive and so, hopefully more balanced and less influence for the total match outcome by a few night watchmen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Reward reward… what is this you speak of?   You play wvw for rewards?   lol I have no idea what they are giving and never cared… but I have noticed a decent increase of stuff in my inventory.  

Truly if you must have rewards to make you play a game mode it mustn’t be much fun.  

Edited by Some Call Me Tim.2319
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Some people get mad cause now they have to play to get their legendary stuff. Standing your body on a wall and repairing every 3 minutes that's was a good WvW's gameplay ?

When you play into that mode, that's not supposed to be a farm, otherwise just go in PvE. 

Many thanks for the patch !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

What about the EXP? Any data?

The new reward system caters to the Giant Blob or Giant Zerg.   Was funny to watch the blobs capture Air then the other blob capture fire.  They would then switch.    I suspect that is why they made the change to defend.

I am enjoying all the new glass players though that just stand there and do their burst rotation out of the gate though, they are fun to farm as a roamer

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

What's more interesting than that they take away, is what they take away and who it ultimately is for.

The rewards were clearly overblown on certain things, but at the same time they were not on other things.

For example, I am not too fussed about defending SM doesn't net you 20 wlvls an hour anymore.

However, it certainly does feel like that they kept more of certain reward improvements (WXP, tickets etc.) and took away far more of other reward improvements (gold, materials, items, marks etc.).

All of that points in a certain direction of what the concerns were and who these changes are for. To me, it feels like things are once again aimed more at getting players to try WvW than for players who play WvW (or to keep players engaged in WvW over time). They have erred on the side of that before and things, sadly, constantly seem to be repeating themselves.

New players are not hurt by a longer-term perspective.

Ps. The same, ofc, goes for what is rewarded on the map itself.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

IMHO SMC outer wall should not give participation for defense event even if T3. Then it would be more balanced distribution of shards and tickets since a very dominant server gets free SMC contesting from trebs.

T2 SMC Gold defense was noted by others as 1 shard 1 ticket prior to the Feb 28 rework changes so there is no change there really. I feel as though it was mainly a change to T0 defense (no shards anymore inline with keeps or towers) and T3 defense (1 instead of 2).

EBG keeps and borderland keeps have similar reward and the same goes for towers. The main issue is SMC, which would be fine if it mainly rewarded on caps and defending at lord room.

Seems T3s have a higher reward even if silver event tier, at least that was my conclusion from last week. Bronze event tier should be avoided if possible no matter what level the objective is.

Kill credit seems to be 10 for silver or gold I think ; capping seems to be bronze just for ring and guards count oddly enough.

T3 keep silver defense does not give shards but does give tickets (verified twice). This seems to be possibly be another change.

I have never seen an instance a shard was awarded and a ticket was not since the original patch and I have no reason to believe this has changed at all.

For the most part people that were playing WvW for the sake of WvW are largely unaffected.

2 hours ago, Zboard.5019 said:

What about the EXP? Any data?

I do not really pay attention to WXP (I am used to getting <20 WXP for kills), but anything that gives skirmish tickets usually has between 1K to 2.5K WXP. It is still a massive step up from before. The bonus chest WXP is unaffected by boosters so it is essentially has been a booster nerf.

Examples of bonus chests I have seen:

• Thimble of WXP (2500WXP) , 2 bag of gear, 3 heavy supply bags, grandmaster mark shard, 1 ticket
  • Thimble of WXP (2500WXP) , 2 bag of gear, 2 heavy supply bags, grandmaster mark shard, 1 ticket
  • 4 Drops of WXP (1000WXP total) , bag of gear, 2 heavy supply bag, 1 ticket

Across the board, bag of gear and heavy supply bags are everywhere so a shard usually demarks a higher tier.

Edited by Infusion.7149

With the toning down of anything concerning SMC (e.g. rewards for low effort "defence" by repairing somewhere on the structure) and adding defense weeklies that are doable, the last patch did a step in the right direction for rewards. I still think that the incentive to k-train is still too much emphasized, compared to defending, playing camp/supply games and splitting up the zergs. SMC perhaps should be treated like all other keeps (since you can differentiate between attacking outer or inner there) ?

• Like 1

I still thinking they should improve loot without affecting wxp gain. Imagine taking only 6 months to reach the maximum level instead of 4 years. That's what's happening and this way they better add new achievements for veteran players like for example a title for 500k kills and maybe one for 1kk so that the feeling of progress in wvw don't end so fast

Edited by LordHT.8297

6 minutes ago, LordHT.8297 said:

I still thinking they should improve loot without affecting wxp gain. Imagine taking only 2 years to reach the maximum level instead of 4. That's what's happening and this way they better add new achievements for veteran players like for example a title for 500k kills and maybe one for 1kk so that the feeling of progress in wvw don't end so fast

I go round and round there and don't disagree but not sure if it needs adjustment yet as other changes are being made since we haven't seen the full system yet as one of the 4 types of events aren't released yet. Agree some, but there has always been ways to game the WXP. Example, people kill trading, people that karma train, people that had farmed EoTM, even people that only play in a zerg. A roamer with 10K hours of havocing and roaming may only be around rank 5000 where as someone that had done nothing but large scale might have been max at a quarter of that. So in some senses I can see how this might help balance things for newer players let alone vets that have just done different roles over time. But IMO jury is still out.

• Like 1

End of the day, we're all earning more rewards than we were the previous 10 years from a month ago.

They've made good progress in introducing weeklies, which hand out more tickets and gold, that added some extra motivations to do stuff during the week. They tweaked it so now both defense and capture can benefit.

They've introduced event rewards, which basically uncaps tickets and shards per week, we were only getting 3 shards per week, now you can get that much in like 30 mins.

Attack failure events still need to be implemented for more rewards.

Gaining wxp at a sped up rate as well.

I've been noticing exotic and ascended drops way more often, I've gotten like 8 ascended and a dozen exotics the past 2 weeks, that's more than I would get in like half a year or more. Maybe that's from level up drops, but it's nice to see something other than unidentified green kitten in my bags. 

I'll be the first one to call out anet on any kitten wrongdoing they do to wvw, but these were steps in the right direction.

Seriously though, if you're playing wvw just for rewards and not happy with it, then uh go play pve which is all about meta ktrains and rewards.

• Like 7

It seems like Anet nerfed SMC defense, but buffed keep defense and tower defense rewards. 

Right now the reward scale seems about right, but what contributes it still needs adjustment.

Doing damage to enemies and healing/buffing allies fighting enemies needs to count

Repairing walls needs to count less, or not at all

Destroying siege needs to count more

I should remind everyone the 2 new weeklies are an extra 10 more tickets a week, and they are both pretty easy to complete. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

That's consistent with my experience this week, before and after the patch. EB is filled with long queues in the evening. Home borderlands are kitten now. They are used by enemy zergs to PPT only and there aren't many defenders there (at least on my server). Today there were 2 blue guild groups of 30+ each capping everything on our hbl. We managed 1 guild group and around 20 randoms in another group.

We didn't stand a chance. So why play at all when it's like that? Every confrontation you have you'll lose because they do coordinated attacks with both groups if needed. I prefer playing on hbl but I've given up on that and go for EB whenever I can. On the positive side, I did get my weekly achievement for capping SMC. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Draygo.9473 said:

Repairing walls needs to count less, or not at all

Still not seeing general patterns yet so not going to say yes or no. But taking a page from a DPS guide where dead dps do no dps, no repair on wall means no defense. No defense means just ktrains. So no, zero during the event is not a good path forward when trying to balance attack and defense, less may be different, but zero is right out and leans karma trains.

Edit: 5 people repairing treb damage for 5 each on outer as it happens is not the same as one player dropping 25 and locking in a zerg that has no way to reinforce and is destroyed by a responding defensive force. But we have no detail on how is calculated so assuming one way or another is not a good path forward. Zero just means keep your supply for zerging an empty structure while karma farming.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Examples
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Still not seeing general patterns yet so not going to say yes or no. But taking a page from a DPS guide where dead dps do no dps, no repair on wall means no defense. No defense means just ktrains. So no, zero during the event is not a good path forward when trying to balance attack and defense, less may be different, but zero is right out and leans karma trains.

Edit: 5 people repairing treb damage for 5 each on outer as it happens is not the same as one player dropping 25 and locking in a zerg that has no way to reinforce and is destroyed by a responding defensive force. But we have no detail on how is calculated so assuming one way or another is not a good path forward. Zero just means keep your supply for zerging an empty structure while karma farming.

Repairing a wall is something that mainly should be done after the enemy is repelled.

Things that are more useful than repairing a wall:

Disabling enemy siege (this should count for participation)

Building Shield Generators and Counter Siege (such as a ballista or treb) to destroy enemy siege

When there are 5+ walls open in SMC repairing an outer wall still actively getting hit is a pure waste of supply, and does not actually contribute to defense. 

I'm not saying that repairing isnt useful at all, just the way its currently being farmed makes it higher priority than the above 2. Actively disrupting the enemy from being able to siege you is 1 - active gameplay, and 2 actually contributes much more to the defense per point of supply spent.

If you disable 3 catapults for 10 supply, you have saved way more in repairs for that period that those catapults cant be used than if you put 10 supply into the wall. The rewards need to match the efficiency of the defense option and currently they are 100% backwards. 

You get ZERO reward for disabling siege or building counter siege right now and this is a problem.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Draygo.9473 said:

It seems like Anet nerfed SMC defense, but buffed keep defense and tower defense rewards.  

That actually sounds pretty good! "Defending" SMC is something that basically happens by default if you own SMC and are on EBG. It just takes up so much of the map that you're very likely to trigger it if you're playing at all.

Defending a tower or keep is generally something you have to go out of your way to do.

• Like 4