Help me sell a profession to get my friend to play.

Veteran player (but not veteran poster) here all the way back from GW1 Factions being new. I'd like to talk my friend into buying the full game(s) since GW1 and GW2 are pretty much my favorite games of all time, and GW1 specifically was *the* game for me back in high school. Friend is willing to give it a try, but I need to convince him of a profession and class that fits him, since he knows the classic MMO pure healer isn't a thing here.

He doesn't really like being on the front lines, and much prefers to be a low damage high healing/utility buffing character; an enabler for others to pop off and succeed, rather than succeed himself. For an amusing analogy, he'd be a Bass player in a band. Makes everyone else sound better but doesn't get any fan attention himself.

Characters/classes from other games he really likes, to use as examples, are:
He loves playing support/utility Bards in D&D, as well as non-heavy-armor heal/utility caster Clerics.
TotM Kokomi in Genshin.
Heal/utility enchanter supports like Nami, support Karma, and a little bit of Janna in League.
While he doesn't play the games, he likes Waver/El Melloi's kit in F/GO (party offense and defense buffs, plus NP charge), and Nightingale and Lumen in Arknights (former is a healer that basically nullifies any incoming defense piercing "magic" damage, and the latter is a healer that can instantly cleanse abnormal status effects).

My initial thoughts are either maybe:
Firebrand Guardian with Staff (he'd love the staff's skills) and an Axe/Shield on swap (though the heavy armor aspect and being a tank might not jive with him).
Dragon/Centaur Herald with a Staff.
Druid with Staff.

But I'd like to hear opinions from other players if they might have a suggestion for a completely different profession or class, or if going with one of these three, which would fit my friend "best".

My thanks in advance.

(PS: while I may be a veteran, I'm a casual veteran that doesn't bother with the high high end stuff like raids/fractals. So if coming in to suggest or talk with meta build acronyms, do be so kind as to elaborate the full meaning of them at least once initially.)

Edited by Hashire Kazemeijin.6719

9 minutes ago, Hashire Kazemeijin.6719 said:

My initial thoughts are either maybe:
Firebrand Guardian with Staff (he'd love the staff's skills) and an Axe/Shield on swap (though the heavy armor aspect and being a tank might not jive with him).
Dragon/Centaur Herald with a Staff.
Druid with Staff.

Add Tempest, Heal Mech and Heal Renegade to the list. Maybe also support Scourge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hashire Kazemeijin.6719 said:

while I may be a veteran, I'm a casual veteran that doesn't bother with the high high end stuff like raids/fractals.

The main problem I see is: There is not much need of a heal/supporter outside endgame/wvw. And solo a heal/supporter is really bad to play as you have to kill the mobs on your own and that takes ages if you are on a heal build.

Maybe a celestial ele build can do the trick in open-world/story.

and if there is really need for heal

Edited by Dayra.7405

Firebrand, tempest or druid would probably be the best fit (Although druid tends to focus alot on instanced PvE content). Herald & mech have kinda boring heal build (even though they're quite effective). 

Firebrand & Tempest are both suited for open world support (cele) & instanced support and should be interesting picks. I'd personally recommend the Tempest heal build over the Guardian since it focuses more on reactive healing compared to the sustain healing of Guardian. 

Also catalyst has an incredible amount of boonsupport incase he wants a more dps focused build aswell. 

Although druid is definitely is one of the more interesting healers, i probably wouldn't recommend to start with it. Ranger outside druid is very selfish and dps focused (so probably not an ideal combo for your friend) ontop of that druids arent the best for hybrid builds either (which is usually preferred for open world). 

Unfortunately most of the 'support caster fantasy' options are all Elite Specializations, with none of the core professions save Staff Guardian really fitting that mold. The reason Firebrand was my first thought for him was because then at least he could still be a team support 'growing up' as a vanilla Guardian (though the heavy armor frontliner bit does again play against that).

While I personally like the way GW2 ended up with breaking the traditional RPG roles, looking only at the vanilla cores makes yu realize none of the originals really had a more supportive lean.

I would say Druid is the more "classic" choice for healing. It has this whole nature thing with spirit and you have a pets that helps you giving boons or giving some damage. And the celestial avatar is also something that looks nice and is pretty good.

Tempest is also another good option. Overloading element to grants boons and healing, shout that grants aura and a warhorn. No heavy armor but light armor so it does allow you to feel like a caster.

Ask thine friend: Do thee wish to sunder thine enemies in a singular stroke? To lay low the fools whom have embraced the dark ways of magic and triumph over the heathens who hath forsaken the glories of the human body? Doth thy comrade feel the yearning for power beyond what others hath been afforded? Beyond the conceptions of the feeble minds of the lesser professions? To meet guile and trickery with force overwhelming? To be as a mountain towering over the boulders of thine enemies? As a sun before the humble candles that come to slay thee? Does he wish to look out from the mountain top at fields of men come to lay him low, men who burn with rage and jealousy at the pinnacles of achievement that he hath forged with his body, step by step? And when he looks out on those enemies, shall shivers not climb his spine, pull back his ears, and spread his mouth wide with delight at the blood that shall be shed that day? And when the day is through, when even the sun itself flinches with each flash of his blade and run’s itself behind the earth to escape the bloody visage of the warrior, shall he not feel an ecstasy reserved for only those who conquer their weakness and transcend the realms inhabited by the inferior professions? 

If the flames of passion burn in him yet, than I tell thee, take up thine sword, mount thy foot upon the mountain of suffering, and track forth upon the path of the warrior. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Ask thine friend: Do thee wish to sunder thine enemies in a singular stroke? To lay low the fools whom have embraced the dark ways of magic and triumph over the heathens who hath forsaken the glories of the human body? Doth thy comrade felt he yearning for power beyond what other hath been afforded? Beyond the conceptions of the feeble minds of the lesser professions? To meet guile and trickery with force overwhelming? To be as a mountain towering over the boulders of thy enemies? As a sun before the humble candles that come to slay thee? Does he wish to look out from the mountain top at fields of men come to lay him low, men who burn with rage and jealousy at the pinnacles of achievement that he hath forged with his body, step by step? And when he looks out on those enemies, shall shivers not climb his spine, pull back his ears, and spread his mouth wide with delight at the blood that shall be shed that day? And when the day is through, when even the sun itself shall flinch with each flash of his blade, and run’s itself behind the earth to escape the bloody visage of the warrior, shall he not feel an ecstasy reserved for only those who conquer their weakness and transcend the realms reserved for the inferior professions? 

If the flames of passion burn in him yet, than I tell thee, take up thine sword, mount thy foot upon the mountain of suffering, and track forth upon the path of the warrior. 

This is beautiful. Thanks again. 😄

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Ask thine friend: Do thee wish to sunder thine enemies in a singular stroke? To lay low the fools whom have embraced the dark ways of magic and triumph over the heathens who hath forsaken the glories of the human body? Doth thy comrade feel the yearning for power beyond what others hath been afforded? Beyond the conceptions of the feeble minds of the lesser professions? To meet guile and trickery with force overwhelming? To be as a mountain towering over the boulders of thine enemies? As a sun before the humble candles that come to slay thee? Does he wish to look out from the mountain top at fields of men come to lay him low, men who burn with rage and jealousy at the pinnacles of achievement that he hath forged with his body, step by step? And when he looks out on those enemies, shall shivers not climb his spine, pull back his ears, and spread his mouth wide with delight at the blood that shall be shed that day? And when the day is through, when even the sun itself flinches with each flash of his blade and run’s itself behind the earth to escape the bloody visage of the warrior, shall he not feel an ecstasy reserved for only those who conquer their weakness and transcend the realms inhabited by the inferior professions? 

Thou hast great skill with articulation, however I fear it lost on min friend.

Min friend cares not for combat nor glory; more like a timid rabbit amongst a den of foxes. One to shy away from conflict and violence. He doth prefer to spend his talents caring for those affected by conflict; those more attuned to violence and glory. Be it curing their ailments or strengthening their feats. The role of a Warrior would suit him ill.

I’m not sure what archetypes your friend likes, but I think some good options would be a hybrid firebrand with axe/staff, hybrid mechanist with either rifle or pistol, scourge dps that can support with barrier and blood leeching is a good option, tempest with scepter is a good option.  Mirage can also play as a hybrid ranged damage/support. 

honestly most classes can fit the description of what you mentioned so theme probably is important to know.  

On 3/5/2023 at 7:08 AM, Hashire Kazemeijin.6719 said:

One possibility I don't see ever really mentioned anywhere; what all do people think of Specter right now? My main and signature character is Thief, but given my own playstyles, Specter never really interested me. But is it support-y enough to get a consideration?

Specter is actually superb choice because it has targeted healing and supporting and is great hybrid. Great for duo play. 

The problem is that the path to specter is comletely of a selfish dps. 

14 hours ago, Hashire Kazemeijin.6719 said:

Min friend cares not for combat nor glory; more like a timid rabbit amongst a den of foxes. One to shy away from conflict and violence. He doth prefer to spend his talents caring for those affected by conflict; those more attuned to violence and glory. Be it curing their ailments or strengthening their feats. The role of a Warrior would suit him ill.

Do not worry, even as a caretaker the warrior have it's own hand to play especially if your friend do not care about his damage output.

To be fair, it's all a matter of build and the sacrifices one is willing to pay. Most professions have now the ability to support effectively their allies. It would be interesting to know what your friend like to play when playing solo because this will also be a large part of the experience he will find in GW2.

16 hours ago, Hashire Kazemeijin.6719 said:

Ah, my friend, I understand! Not all hath been born with the fire in their hearts and the lust for blood in their bellies! Oh what misfortune, to live divorced from the path of righteous glory and carnal violence! I pray for thee, my friend, that thine friend shalt aid thee on thy quest towards the land beyond the limitations of mortality.

Thanks for the suggestions. He's considering  either Specter (because of the 'duo play' good feels), or Herald (for Centaur/Dragon).

Slight consideration for Heal Mechanist, if he can find a way to justify to himself having a giant combat mech when he's normally combat-adverse and likes to sit in the backline and heal/buff as a caster.