World Linking 3/31/2023

Cal Cohen.2358

They (link staff) also don't seem to consider how many guilds decide in advance to move servers and sit poised for relinks to decide where to move.  Which tends to unbalance whatever balance went into the link decisions.  It will be good for the links on the closed servers cuz you-know-who usually gets bandwagoned.  -shrug-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

Relinks' intended workings are long past their due date. They did work as intended for as long as the system was intended.

I would rather you just said you were getting impatient for alliances. Algorithms don't have an expiration date. Have they taken way too long? Yes, sure, definitely. Dunno what complaining about being linked to the same server is gonna do about when the system we had before had you playing with the same people for multiple YEARS.

Just now, Nadabawara.1847 said:

They (link staff) also don't seem to consider how many guilds decide in advance to move servers and sit poised for relinks to decide where to move.  Which tends to unbalance whatever balance went into the link decisions.  It will be good for the links on the closed servers cuz you-know-who usually gets bandwagoned.  -shrug-

That is a great point actually... I wonder how many complainers in here are just mad they can't bandwagon. *Frikken Shame!*

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Gaige.7928 said:

I would rather you just said you were getting impatient for alliances. Algorithms don't have an expiration date. Have they taken way too long? Yes, sure, definitely. Dunno what complaining about being linked to the same server is gonna do about when the system we had before had you playing with the same people for multiple YEARS.

No one said anything about algorithms.

When Relinks were launched they said it was a short term, temporary fix. It is literally right there in the announcement.

Ed. It is no different than saying that they will inform us in Q1 2023 and then simply not do it. You can goad players all you want, but for us it is to each their own (whether we stay or leave, how we choose to behave), our behaviour is not what is under scrutiny here. Their behaviour is. Long-gone players speak no more than dead men.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, exeggcuter.8394 said:

...Huh! When I saw a guildie post this I thought for sure it was them using data from an older post. I'm on Ebay hence the confusion. Our server's link has been a ton of fun though, so I can't really complain lol. We'll see how this goes.

Was going to tell you all see you in a spin of time but this is the first time I have seen them to keep the same link twice in a row so, the hunt will go on it seems. Good hunting to us both. 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Gaige.7928 said:

I think you guys need to be more clear about if you talk about NA or EU. NA have links for all hosts whilst EU miss out on 3 links so 3 hosts always left out. You could make this system in EU fair by letting all hosts be without a link one time and then circle throug them all and that would be fair. But instead Arena Net decide that a few server will be without a link for a period sometimes even for 4 periods which is so terribly unfair and houls not be a thing in a competative game mode. 

NA have other problems but it is still not unfair.

7 minutes ago, exeggcuter.8394 said:

That is a great point actually... I wonder how many complainers in here are just mad they can't bandwagon. *Frikken Shame!*

I think the days of bandwagoning are long since past. You might have a few players who are desperate to get on Mag because they think they'll be carried by all the tryhards, but for the most part the rest of the servers are doing all they can to actively AVOID going up to T1.

I think nowadays most players/guilds move because they've grown tired of the way their server "fights" (or avoids fights) and they want a change of scenery.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Yunari.9065 said:

For real Anet those linkings are a kittening joke. Delete Ghosttown servers (Millersund DE, Arborstone etc.) and stop with that linkings nonsense.

Maybe what they should have done all those years ago was take servers off the wvw list and made them permanent pve servers. So let's say you were on Arborstone, you couldn't access wvw from it, but also offer permanent free transfers off that server to another active wvw one (but kept the transfer fee moving from one to another wvw server). Then they could have kept the original server structure intact, it doesn't matter for pve and megaserver, and wvw would have gotten a reduced list which it needs. But people would be up in arms over losing their server names anyways. /shrug

It's all moot since they're halfway through world restructuring/alliances, whatever they're doing now is just for show and maybe squeeze some extra gem purchases.

🤷‍♂️🍿

2 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

So Mag and BG swap partners. I'd actually like to see BG linked with SoS to see how that would go for T1.

SBI/EB, TC/AR, HoD/CD, all stay the same, even though they've been floating to the bottom tiers.

SoR/SoS makes sense for a change, SoR seems heavy NA, SoS would actually help them ppt out of the bottom.

My two accounts got linked, so I can't even take a break from a match if I wanted, I'd have to take the week off instead lmao.

Should just stop linking process and leave the current links in place. People don't want to bandwagon to T1 anymore, but they move regardless anyways cause chasing "content".

Bg and sos actually sounds funny lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exeggcuter.8394 said:

I think Maguuma and blackgate should get linked just to see if the forums will actually explode.

It would actually be really nice. Imagine the size of the queues on reset. They would be forced to disband in order to play

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sinestrae.4395 said:

what are they even doing in the wvw offices

WvW offices if a bit of a stretch haha.

They most likely have the following number of people:

WvW (beta + reward): 1

Balance: 2 (previously one, but they recruited Roy to help Cal)

QoL: 1

PvP: 0

Bug fixes (PvE): 2 or 3

New playable stuff (excluding art, sound, translation, design): 5 to 10

GemStore: 1 to 3

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gaige.7928 said:

All the people in here complaining about their server link changes aren't different, as if that isn't the system working exactly as intended. Assuming there isn't a massive migration of transfers and every world's activity stays around the same, the linkings, in theory, shouldn't change. Unsure of why y'all think this is such a big deal when that was how the system was explained to us from the beginning.

Linking is supposed to make the mode competitive. If done properly then it would and you would see different servers in T1 every week.. But the way ANET does linking actually makes the mode less competitive.

The same bad actors are rewarded for their behavior over and over again. And have been for years. Anet doesn't have a clue what it is doing with links. It's just milking the mode for server transfer money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Grim West.3194 said:

Linking is supposed to make the mode competitive.

No, it is supposed to make matchups less lopsided. And if you compare matches before and after linking - it actually does that.

When they introduced server linking they even said, they are not trying to make all world even, because that's simply not possible with the current system. So having some server pairs with higher population and some with lower is intended. Ofc transfers and matchmaking after relinking counteract any attemps at creating more balanced matches, but despite that it's still not as bad as it used to be many years ago.

47 minutes ago, Grim West.3194 said:

The same bad actors are rewarded for their behavior over and over again. And have been for years. Anet doesn't have a clue what it is doing with links. It's just milking the mode for server transfer money.

Who is rewarded for what? There are no rewards for winning matches and no punishemnt for losing.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

The only thing competitive about wvw is the system it was built on, scoring(which is fine for sports or anything with two sides instead of three). But everything else around it that's suppose to support it has never been and never will be balanced, uneven time zone coverage in week long matches, uneven base population, uneven lopsided 2v1 that results in the weakest being fodder, open transfers that allowed for stacking.

Which is probably why every other RvR type game mode ever made was based around objective capturing and holding, not server scoring. Also why world restructuring isn't actually going to do much competitive wise for wvw, because all those uneven factors will remain one way or another afterwards, you'll just have less "dead times" around, they hope.