Are we EVER going to find out who E is???

Moi.5013

On 4/8/2023 at 2:21 PM, LSD.4673 said:

And it's an interesting plot point, as opposed to the masses of utterly uninteresting stuff we've had shoveled out over the years.

This is really exactly it. It's certainly minor, in terms of the overall structure of the even just the Sylvari personal story, but its nonetheless an extremely compelling idea. Everywhere else it's just The Tree, and all the Sylvari we encounter come from that tree. To think that there's another Tree out there is so outside the parameters of what we thought we knew about the Sylvari, it's arguably almost as compelling as the idea that the leafy people were meant to be Mordremoth minions.

As for E, I've made my peace with never finding out - IF E's never really brought up again. It's entirely believable that someone working from the shadows either dies (peacefully or less so) without us ever finding out about it, or retires from the presumably dangerous work of intelligence gathering.

E could also be a collective identity of a handful of people, or maybe it's just how a specific program within the Order of Whispers chose to anonymously feed tips to selected individuals at those particular points in time. Either way, since it seems well beyond our characters' knowledge, I'm narratively okay with having E just fade out without us ever getting a definitive answer.

will be annoyed if Anet sees fit to keep bringing us correspondence from E as a cheap anonymous narrative device, with no real plan for making E fit interestingly into the world. Kinda like the new letters your character mysteriously keeps finding in their pockets in older Elder Scrolls titles.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

Would be nice if they decided to give this some more content. But I guess since E mainly cared about Kryta it does not make sense to give it a lot of story content in the future ... when the commander can be of any race. Would need the major plot concerning the whole world ... to have a sub-plot in Kryta again (similar ot the chapter 4 in season 3 maybe).

Never thought of Faren - does not really make sense since there is no E at the start (or the end) of his name. The L + F combined making an E ... a bit too far fetched imo. But ArenaNet's writing is not that good - regarding chars. They might just do that ... suddenly explaining that Faren isn't stupid and weak but a major spy-like char lol. For the "masked roller F" guy it makes more sense to be Faren.

I thought of Anise ... backwards - using the E and not the A. Since the is a bit spy-like in her position as mesmer + Shining blade boss. (+ very Kryta-focused)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Would be nice if they decided to give this some more content. But I guess since E mainly cared about Kryta it does not make sense to give it a lot of story content in the future ... when the commander can be of any race. Would need the major plot concerning the whole world ... to have a sub-plot in Kryta again (similar ot the chapter 4 in season 3 maybe).

Never thought of Faren - does not really make sense since there is no E at the start (or the end) of his name. The L + F combined making an E ... a bit too far fetched imo. But ArenaNet's writing is not that good - regarding chars. They might just do that ... suddenly explaining that Faren isn't stupid and weak but a major spy-like char lol. For the "masked roller F" guy it makes more sense to be Faren.

I thought of Anise ... backwards - using the E and not the A. Since the is a bit spy-like in her position as mesmer + Shining blade boss. (+ very Kryta-focused)

He's also now the Masked Judge, as of April Fools. It seems he likes secret identities afterall.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 4:59 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Does the L + F = E work with New Krytan?

Sadly, no, it does not. Those two letters together make an unidentifiable mass of squiggles that looks nothing like the New Krytan letter E. 😞 

...I do still like the theory of Faren being E. That...actually makes a bizarre amount of sense, all things considered. But, like a lot of other people here, I also hope the devs won't ever actually confirm it; it'd take all the fun out of the mystery. If anything, just give us some very broad hints in one direction or another and let people form their own conclusions without outright saying "Yes, Faren/Anise/Lady Camilla/somebody else is E."

Edited by Batel.9206

Maybe it actually is a completely new person. Not mentioned somewhere yet. That also would not be weird for ArenaNet. Would leave them a lot of options and avoid making mistakes with regards to older existing stuff. Maybe some guy named Ernesto (like the one in Better Call Saul lol :D) ... that is assistant to some other more powerful guy that has information. Where he can access that information and leak it. 😄

Mesmer collective  also would be fun to have some own sub plot. With the real life girl that they created some small story for ... we also had a bit info about them. Maybe they also have chars with E. And mesmer can have a lot of info ... with their mesmer powers of course.

Edited by Luthan.5236

a good clue 

E's Third Letter

I'm aware of the assault on Divinity's Reach, and I'll get there as soon as I can. Don't trust anyone.

Whos of Kryta "important characters" wans't on DR on assault, and moved to it later?

Also 

I've received a report that Blade and Seraph guards have failed to secure the perimeter of the city. Take this to Whispers headquarters as your introduction and speak with the gatekeeper.

Read on.

Catch them up. We're going to need all the help we can get. (Whispers protocol 61554z1, Caudecus is a traitor to Kryta. Involve no Beetlestones until we confirm where loyalties lie.) —E

So its someone familiar with Whispers Protocols.

• Confused 1

ANet might not have made a concept of who "E" is.

But if they do, they might go for Countess Anisse or someone involved in personal story, chapters 1 and 2.

It may even be Logan, but then he has no reason to keep his identity hidden... or does he?

For added mystery. 

"E" could be Eir Stegalskin ghost getting someone to write the letters on her behalf.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

But if they do, they might go for Countess Anisse or someone involved in personal story, chapters 1 and 2.

It may even be Logan, but then he has no reason to keep his identity hidden... or does he?

It might not even be someone human at all.

It could be someone from any other race who is aware of human affairs.

There seems to be quite a few asura in Divinity's Reach.

The one who calls that dude from the bar a "bookah"

Mostly gate keepers, but anything is possible.

Could even be a Tengu from the dominion of winds.

It would be really intetesting if ANet took NPCs dialogue and use it to construct the next story around it.

There are quite a few interesting NPC s conversations around all cities. 

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It would be really intetesting if ANet took NPCs dialogue and use it to construct the next story around it.

Dunno, sounds too much like one of those "subverting expectations" some movie and TV creators have been trying to do but rarely works out.

15 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Dunno, sounds too much like one of those "subverting expectations" some movie and TV creators have been trying to do but rarely works out.

But when it does work out, it's kind of a bombshell. 

Just the mystery factor alone, and then the shock when you find out that is someone that you always overlooked is right under your nose.

So, "E"... shall ANet decide to continue involving that character may well just do that.

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Since we met her ghost during Season 4, we do know for certain that she is dead. 😉

Ghosts talk too.

You have thousands of evidence specimens is Ascalon alone.

In the crystal desert.

Gwen, Dunkoro, so on so forth. 

Ghosts may not phisicaly be able to touch physical objects in order to write a letter, but they can possess the living.

So yeah. Eir might be dead and be a ghost, but she can still get someone to write the letters for her.

It's an option.

Just saying.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I'll jump in here and say this is almost certainly untrue. When they brought E back into the plot for the Head of the Snake patch, they had a concept for who they were. I have little doubt that internally they have at least the skeleton of a backstory for this character. Whether there is presently a desire to make players interact with them down the line or revamp them for upcoming story remains to be seen, but there's no question in my mind — E has a concept; it just hasn't been the right time to go further with it since the Head of the Snake.

Nothing about Anet's writing has indicated to me that they're short on details behind the scenes when it comes to characters. If anything, Gw2 characters are like icebergs. We players only see a small portion of their history and the facets of their character that inform and underpin the interactions we have with them in-game.

And I'm not saying they have everything set in stone and written out about every last character all the time; just that they clearly aren't throwing recurring characters into the game randomly and without a second thought. They're doing their due diligence from what I've seen.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 4/29/2023 at 11:31 PM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Devs stated back in Season 1 that they did have an identity of who E is set at that point in time. They could easily change it, since there's so few hints to Lord Faren's secret identity, but that would require them revisiting the plot first.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:25 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I think Marjory would know if a non-human was the one who grabbed her physically and covered her mouth.
If an asura could even reach that high, she'd recognize the stubby fingers.
If a charr did it she'd notice the fur and claws.
If it were norn, the height and shadow would give them away.
If it were tengu, she'd see the talons and feathers on the hand.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

But when it does work out, it's kind of a bombshell. 

Just the mystery factor alone, and then the shock when you find out that is someone that you always overlooked is right under your nose.

So, "E"... shall ANet decide to continue involving that character may well just do that.

Subverting expectations only work when it still makes sense when you think about it, it's just not "the obvious" route. It fails when there's been so long to expect non-obvious routes, which is E's issue, or when the build up is too heavily leaning - either towards the "unexpected" (like Age of Ultron) or opposed to it (like GoT S8).

The issue is that E has been a mystery for so many years that we've kind of thought "what if he was literally anyone we met" by this point, meaning that we've expected the outcome to be any NPC we know. So the only way to subvert expectations would be by having it be someone we never met before... which isn't interesting, nor a bombshell.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:05 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

So yeah. Eir might be dead and be a ghost, but she can still get someone to write the letters for her.

It's an option.

Just saying.

Eir was neither dead nor a ghost during Seasons 1 and 2, when E is most busy. Nor did she have any reason to involve herself explicitly in Krytan affairs.

That's why things like "it's Ellen Kiel" or "it's a charr" doesn't make sense. E is solely invested in the kingdom of Kryta. Every time we hear from E, it's specifically regarding Kryta and its immediate neighbors - in fact, the only time E contacted us for non-human-kingdom-of-Kryta affairs, was our first introduction to the character, Dragon Bash, where E immediately recommended Marjory for the job.

Whomever E is, they are an individual who cares first and foremost about the human kingdom of Kryta, and is capable of making contacts and obligations with several humans within the Seraph, Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers in and around Kryta.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Devs stated back in Season 1 that they did have an identity of who E is set at that point in time. They could easily change it, since there's so few hints to Lord Faren's secret identity, but that would require them revisiting the plot first.

I think Marjory would know if a non-human was the one who grabbed her physically and covered her mouth.
If an asura could even reach that high, she'd recognize the stubby fingers.
If a charr did it she'd notice the fur and claws.
If it were norn, the height and shadow would give them away.
If it were tengu, she'd see the talons and feathers on the hand.

Subverting expectations only work when it still makes sense when you think about it, it's just not "the obvious" route. It fails when there's been so long to expect non-obvious routes, which is E's issue, or when the build up is too heavily leaning - either towards the "unexpected" (like Age of Ultron) or opposed to it (like GoT S8).

The issue is that E has been a mystery for so many years that we've kind of thought "what if he was literally anyone we met" by this point, meaning that we've expected the outcome to be any NPC we know. So the only way to subvert expectations would be by having it be someone we never met before... which isn't interesting, nor a bombshell.

Eir was neither dead nor a ghost during Seasons 1 and 2, when E is most busy. Nor did she have any reason to involve herself explicitly in Krytan affairs.

That's why things like "it's Ellen Kiel" or "it's a charr" doesn't make sense. E is solely invested in the kingdom of Kryta. Every time we hear from E, it's specifically regarding Kryta and its immediate neighbors - in fact, the only time E contacted us for non-human-kingdom-of-Kryta affairs, was our first introduction to the character, Dragon Bash, where E immediately recommended Marjory for the job.

Whomever E is, they are an individual who cares first and foremost about the human kingdom of Kryta, and is capable of making contacts and obligations with several humans within the Seraph, Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers in and around Kryta.

Thanks for the very loooong essay.

It's always a joy for my busy brain.

I'll just say one thing to all that.

Mesmers are a thing... and one of them is countess anise, who is a master at it.

So are other races.

Just saying. 

Have a nice day.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Thanks for the very loooong essay.

It's always a joy for my busy brain.

Trust me, that was neither long nor an essay.

2 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I'll just say one thing to all that.

Mesmers are a thing... and one of them is countess anise, who is a master at it.

So are other races.

Just saying. 

Have a nice day.

Eh, that's a forced solution, and I would hope Marjory would be capable of detecting if what was physically touching her was an illusion made of flimsy bent light that shatters easily on contact (aka mesmer illusions).

It also wouldn't explain why a non-human is specifically and solely invested in the human nation. Why would an asura, for example, care about keeping Jennah's position of power stable?

Anise is a... viable solution. But non-humans? Not very much.

17 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Trust me, that was neither long nor an essay.

Eh, that's a forced solution, and I would hope Marjory would be capable of detecting if what was physically touching her was an illusion made of flimsy bent light that shatters easily on contact (aka mesmer illusions).

It also wouldn't explain why a non-human is specifically and solely invested in the human nation. Why would an asura, for example, care about keeping Jennah's position of power stable?

Anise is a... viable solution. But non-humans? Not very much.

I can think of many different reasons at the top of my head who and why someone would have a reason to infiltrate human cities with a mesmer disguise, in order to gather intel and try manipulate humans as much as they can.

Power is a very good plausible reason. 

Charr.

Trying to keep the treaty between humans and the charr, or do the opposite entirely.

Renegades come to mind.

Asura.

In order to make sure humans don't do any mistakes; because to them humans are just like bookah, and in asura prespective, they cannot be trusted.

The Tengu;

In the dominion of winds. They are still to make a presence.

As far as I know... they are keeping something there that only humans know about it, other than them.

They want to make sure the secret isn't leaked.

Sylvari.

A nightmare court spy disguised as human that knows of the existance of other mother trees. 

(See Sylvari personal storyline)

The humans might know something about it, and are easier to get the information from than other sylvari, who probably don't even know about it, except Caithe, Malek, and a few others.

Norn.

Human allies since the great desyroyer.

Might have instructions from Eir while alive or as a ghost, to keep an eye on them.

The Dragons might not be the only threat in Tyria.

So Eir may have written those letters while she was still alive, and someone close to her might know about it and carried on writing letters on her behalf when she passed.

Best contender? Probably?

Her own son Braham Eirson.

Eirson starts with "E"

Just about any race in tyria could have a hundred reasons to infiltrate a human city with a mesmer disguise, just like when Anise casted on her, Logan, and the player.

Any race can become something else with a mesmer spell. 

Finally.

The game involves ALL races.

I don't see why this should only be a human affair.

If you play with a charr, you still get the letters. Do you not?