Megaserver Map Queue Beta

Firstly, thank you for providing this option for those that have wanted it.

For those that did not want it, can you please re-enable the option to join an instance manually as we could before?  There are flaws with a queue system that I don't want to be subjected to which make me not want to do metas now.

If that map instance is full, you will receive a new pop-up that will ask if you’d like to enter a queue for the same instance as your existing party members. Accepting this pop-up will put you into a queue, which will give you the option to travel to that map instance as soon as capacity allows. Refusing the queue will result in the same behavior as before this update.

The bolded made me think that both ways would be available but this wasn't the case.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 9

4 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

For those that did not want it, can you please re-enable the option to join an instance manually as we could before?

The option is fully gone now? Well, in that case, I second your request!

Also, someone reported in the Bugs subforum that groups now keep vanishing from LFG if their map is full. Just thought I'd mention it here as well, since this is a feedback thread and this LFG behavior seems to make this new option obsolete. 😉

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

I am dissapointed in the open world map "queue" system - this is a distraction to the developer team and players.

I would be more interested in increased resiliance in random disconnections - especially when in story instances and in open-world.
It is a wonder to me, that when a meta is about to happen, or is happening, that the instance does not "lock" for those not in it, and instead favors those that get struck by DC's a chance to get back in within 5 mins or so. Sure if they goto another map/instance for more than 60seconds they should loose their slot reservation but yeah - dc's are the wrost. Game prioritizes internet being perfect (which we all know it is not).  To add to this idea, once the map is locked, it should remove the ability of those not in it's right click menu to even join. And lastly, the LFG's of those posted to try to taxi folks in should be taken down (and prevent from listing) - less spam the better!

This system would remove the negitive effects of 200 lfg's and all maps are full - and, oops, you gotta random DC from the login server from 1990 telling you there's a problem.. .well you wont get screwed if there was some sort of grace period in place.

Regarding the LFG's now "vanishing" - this is what we want - to encourge others to make their own maps! not sit and AFK while a queue is in place; not sit AFK and try to spam the join other map instance... Tag up a new instance already and particpate - strive to communicate with the rest of the map and not fail said meta <cough nuh lane>

Edited by vee.5609
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, vee.5609 said:

I am dissapointed in the open world map "queue" system - this is a distraction to the developer team and players.

This system has already existed in the game since launch. They just had to hook things up in the right menu so in terms of development there shouldn't have been much.

They are just implementing a low hanging fruit that has been requested for a while.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

low hanging fruit? yeah that is a feature request that is not quite even addressing the real systems of problems that exist.

how about addressing the "low hanging" bugs that we see daily? or even acknowledging that it is in their bug-tracking system?
instead we have these monolith threads in the forums that some moderator squashes into a thread thats years old and all related comments to said thread get mangled in a heap of unsortable forum-mess. we all know there are still core story bugs that cause users to bail from the story and re-try; similarly with the good old fasioned anet-dc's (my favorite when in a story instance, solo, and get booted to the launcher-menu - all the while all other internet connections remain solid during the anet-dc)

• Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, vee.5609 said:

low hanging fruit? yeah that is a feature request that is not quite even addressing the real systems of problems that exist.

how about addressing the "low hanging" bugs that we see daily? or even acknowledging that it is in their bug-tracking system?
instead we have these monolith threads in the forums that some moderator squashes into a thread thats years old and all related comments to said thread get mangled in a heap of unsortable forum-mess. we all know there are still core story bugs that cause users to bail from the story and re-try; similarly with the good old fasioned anet-dc's (my favorite when in a story instance, solo, and get booted to the launcher-menu - all the while all other internet connections remain solid during the anet-dc)

It looks like you don't know what the term "low hanging fruit" means ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

For those that did not want it, can you please re-enable the option to join an instance manually as we could before?  There are flaws with a queue system that I don't want to be subjected to which make me not want to do metas now.

The bolded made me think that both ways would be available but this wasn't the case.

And where in this queue would your spot be exactly? While everyone else is waiting which position do you get? Do you get to jump in ahead of everyone else? Are you going to be at the very back? If it's the latter then yeah you still have the old system. You can join once everyone else went through the queue and there's still a spot that opened up because now you don't have to queue at all.
It honestly makes no sense to give people an option to revert to the old system.
If you see flaws I think you should elaborate instead of just stating there are some

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Can you not manually map hop to join a friend anymore?

You can. Tested that after the echovald meta earlier.

Just now, Redsnabba.9172 said:

And where in this queue would your spot be exactly? While everyone else is waiting which position do you get? Do you get to jump in ahead of everyone else? Are you going to be at the very back? If it's the latter then yeah you still have the old system. You can join once everyone else went through the queue and there's still a spot that opened up because now you don't have to queue at all.
It honestly makes no sense to give people an option to revert to the old system.
If you see flaws I think you should elaborate instead of just stating there are some

"People shouldn't get in based on arrival time. It should all depend on luck!" maybe 😛

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, vee.5609 said:

I would be more interested in increased resiliance in random disconnections - especially when in story instances and in open-world.
It is a wonder to me, that when a meta is about to happen, or is happening, that the instance does not "lock" for those not in it, and instead favors those that get struck by DC's a chance to get back in within 5 mins or so. Sure if they goto another map/instance for more than 60seconds they should loose their slot reservation but yeah - dc's are the wrost. Game prioritizes internet being perfect (which we all know it is not).  To add to this idea, once the map is locked, it should remove the ability of those not in it's right click menu to even join. And lastly, the LFG's of those posted to try to taxi folks in should be taken down (and prevent from listing) - less spam the better!

Having a spot reserved for a while if you dc would be a useful improvement as well imo but it doesn't relate to this update at all.
I think overall this has been a much requested and welcome change and I don't see how wanting more features makes the previous one less valid.
Even if we never get what you have requested that's never been a feature so far so I don't see how we are entitled to that because pve queues exist now.

As far as I'm concerned - thanks anet one of the best QoL features in recent years. The join world feature was super clunky and stopped people from playing the game and focus on mashing that join button.
We can pretend like everything was fine before but you literally couldn't even fight while queuing because being in combat disabled the option to join worlds and hitting that join button repeatedly only to see an error message was just frustrating

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

For those that did not want it, can you please re-enable the option to join an instance manually as we could before?

I think the point has been raised in subsequent posts, but how can the old manual system work alongside a queue? If you are there spamming "join map" while others are queuing, surely you don't expect to be able to jump the queue? Your first opportunity to join should only arise after the queue is exhausted, so you might as well join the queue and save yourself some frustration.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, vee.5609 said:

This system would remove the negitive effects of 200 lfg's and all maps are full - and, oops, you gotta random DC from the login server from 1990 telling you there's a problem.. .well you wont get screwed if there was some sort of grace period in place.

Regarding the LFG's now "vanishing" - this is what we want - to encourge others to make their own maps! not sit and AFK while a queue is in place; not sit AFK and try to spam the join other map instance... Tag up a new instance already and particpate - strive to communicate with the rest of the map and not fail said meta <cough nuh lane>

I'm willing to wager less people are disconnected in story instances on a regular basis, and more people are trying to get into maps repeatedly. Just a guess, but an educated one. There are a percentage of people who regularly  disconnect from story, but I don't think it's as high as people think it is.

On the other hand, many of us are standing at meta events several times a day trying to get into a full map.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Darkspyro.4028 said:

Maby this will be the start being able to play with people form the Eu servers from the Us servers and vice versa 

that´s not gonna happen. Not only are EU and NA two completely different datacenters in two different locations, but it would also make the expierience horrible, depending on which of the datacenters you´re connected to. You ping will in all cases at least be higher, in worst cases even unstable because of the huge distance to the datacenters, depending on where you connect from. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

How are you going to be in multiple squads/parties at the same time?

Of course you leave the 1st squad before you enter the 2nd. That should leave me in the map-instance queue, doesn’t it? In the end the squad is only the vehicle to switch (queue for) instances, but not needed in itself.

Sense: I wanna play e.g. AB tarir meta there are 5 squads with different IP but all with full map, I don‘t really care which one I join so I want to queue for all their maps, the one offering me a place first wins

Edited by Dayra.7405

20 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

The bolded part does explain exactly that: if you chose NOT to queue up, you will not change the map, the same way as was before when a map was full and you got an error message.

Others have already pointed out the flaw in your reasoning/expcetation: where exactly do you get placed compared to players who are queued IF you decide not to queue? If you are able to circumvent the queue, then the entire queue system is basically undermined, if you get placed at the end of the queue, you'll never get to travel.

The queue system "punishes" players that where previously continuously trying to enter a specific map (via manual clicking or a macro) while it streamlines the map travel process for everyone else.

It also now provides some feedback on how MANY players are interested in specific map (via queue number) thus potentially encouraging players to organize additional maps instead of trying to enter existing maps for extended periods of time (which is a benefit overall).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Well, after being able to test it myself today, I didn't run into any trouble with the new queuing system.

It's working fine for me and is a lot more comfortable than constantly right-clicking "Join [xyc]" repeatedly until you get lucky. You can even see your queue position like in WvW.

I think it's a great QoL update.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3