Research notes :

Please Anet, stop.

I'm so tired to spend hours to (buy), craft and recycle, or to search the last useless ascended weapon on my character I could sacrifice.
Give research notes in meta events, in daily/weekly achievements ... or just stop the grind.

Edit* : Plus I'm pretty sure in the next episodes we'll get a new craft like "Hey, did you save  2000 Gold Ingots and 2000 Silver Ingots for our new skin ? Time to farm again, enjoy."

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

So much this. It's just annoying.

Hey, you want this? Pay 200 Research Notes for that! And this? Sure, 250 Research Notes for that.

You want more research notes through organic gameplay? Oh, too bad.

It just feels so off, unorganic and as you said, a total waste of time to always cycle though the same boring steps:

Buy cheapest food that is salvage for research kits -> Salvage -> Buy that stuff you wanted -> Repeat

Also, man, I swear, with all that "Research Notes" being traded, Tyria by now should have invented the Warp Drive, solved the Cantha Energy Crisis by Taimi inventing the Fusion Reactor and solved World Hunger in RL......

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Research notes are still terrible.

Feels absurd to craft a big batch of potions or food just to destroy it so I can upgrade a jade module.

I haven't even gone that far.  My poor jade bot has no upgrades at all.  Stupid research notes.  I'd rather play the game than craft something I'm just going to destroy for notes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I haven't even gone that far.  My poor jade bot has no upgrades at all.  Stupid research notes.  I'd rather play the game than craft something I'm just going to destroy for notes.

I avoided upgrading the jade bot until recently, when I discovered how much gliding boost helps with griffon use. I’m now using my griffon a lot more and enjoying it immensely.

In the process, I’ve also discovered how tremendously useful gliding boost can be in other places. With a rank 2 boost, you only need the slightest change in elevation to engage your glider for a split second. Boost up to get significant height and you’re out of a combat you want to leave.

Stupid research notes.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

The entire research notes system is a badly designed means of adding yet more redundant overcomplexity to artificially inflate the supposed value of a similarly poorly conceived expansion. This system demonstrates the lowering of the bar for the entire game and serves as an indication of moral collapse of the studio.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I’ve recently begun playing Pathfinder 2e, and because of the recent OGL debacle, the makers are reworking the game. They’re using the opportunity to remove weird legacy systems and rules that don’t serve to make the game more fun or balanced.

I know it’s a TTRPG, and this is an MMO, but it’s such a polar opposite spirit. Feels more like the ANet that made the manifesto video. Passionate people who really love the game they make.

Stupid research notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

It is a material-sink, because we need a material sink. This entire situation could have been avoided. But they do not want to address the cause for the material surplus. (imo)

There are well designed material sinks, and then there’s research notes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

It is a material-sink, because we need a material sink. This entire situation could have been avoided. But they do not want to address the cause for the material surplus. (imo)

They could just ask for (few) gold and silver ingots and other useless t2-t3 for new crafts, and vary from recipe to recipe / different recipes for same item.
Same for food, put cabbage leaf and carrot in the new weapons, idk.

But not that Ruining, time-consuming and poorly designed mechanic.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

There are well designed material sinks, and then there’s research notes.

I did not say it was a good solution 😅. I'm one of the lucky guys who can craft power cores and friends ask me to make their T10 cores. Glad I did not start with the EoD Legendaries yet. But my demand for RN is already ridiculously high. I wish this madness would stop and they would switch to e. g. Jade Silvers - a currency that probably ended up on the discontinued content stack on launch day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Well the mistake was adding the legendary armory without a material sink replacement.

37 minutes ago, Justforvisit.3709 said:

Buy cheapest food that is salvage for research kits -> Salvage -> Buy that stuff you wanted -> Repeat

That is probably the worst approach to getting research notes.

Crafting the notes directly removes the need to fiddle with kits constantly.

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That is probably the worst approach to getting research notes.

Dunno, having to resort to just one currency (gold) to buy it from the TP beats having to use up several mats for me in crafting, since you either afterwards have to invest time in gathering them again or buying them for Gold as well from the TP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Actually annoying - and the first thing that made me check out the fast farming community website to just buy the cheapest stuff on their list (salavage cost per note) for some stuff for the special ops armor achievement. I usually try to avoid the reserach notes. They should not try to re-use them a lot more. (Farming the Canach Coins is still more annoying. Need to still complete my stuff there lol.)

Especially not for stuff that you need more than once. (That filter every now and then ... is okay though. Not too expensive.)

I mean: True: The notes are just gold converted to sometehing else. If you optimize and get the cheapest stuff.  Could have just used a normal map currency or gold directly instead. That would at least have reduced the step in between that takes additional time (either crafting yourself or buying from TP and salvaging).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

a currency that probably ended up on the discontinued content stack on launch day.

You can scratch that "probably".

Watched what was for offer with those on day one and I guess everybody else who did so abandoned it as well as fast as two days BEFORE launch day.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

I don’t really mind research notes. It’s a good way to get rid of all the ascended stuff I get from raids and fractals. 

And that's great for you if you enjoy that content.  For more casual, OW players like myself research notes don't come as easily.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

And that's great for you if you enjoy that content.  For more casual, OW players like myself research notes don't come as easily.

It’s never a good idea to limit yourself. If you play a variety of content, stuff like research notes aren’t really a big deal. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 8

Man I recycle more than 200 ascended pieces and +2000 stacks of t2/t3/t4, still not enough research notes. How am I limiting* myself ?
How can new players handle those research notes without years of saving.

This is weird irony.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

EOD is full of annoying busy work. One thing I liked with gw2 was reduction of useless busy work compared to other games and here they go and fill the whole expansion with it. 

Research notes, jade batteries, protocols, fishing stacks. Just let me play the game. If I have 1 hour to play, Im not going for the game that doesnt respect my time. 

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

I craft lvl 300-325 rings and earrings and salvage them. I hardly notice as I have mithril and fine lvl crystals in abundance.

Yup, whether it's researching ascended gear or mass crafting/buying items to research, getting the notes isn't really hard.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, vares.8457 said:

It’s never a good idea to limit yourself. If you play a variety of content, stuff like research notes aren’t really a big deal. 

But, IMO, that's one of the things that GW2 has that appeals to casual players like me.  I don't have to do a variety of content if I don't want to.  I also understand that there are some things in the game that I will never acquire or achieve because I don't run certain content.  Things like zone-specific currency are at least obtainable through interacting with those particular zones.  Research notes are less like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3