Research notes :

On 5/29/2023 at 8:17 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

You wrote it yourself ("Gold at it (funnily enough, that gold probably IS earned by gameplay)") -the post I responded to was complaining about acquiring currency/resources. The gameplay part is... all of it. The whole process of acquiring resources and currencies you need to get what you want.

Yeah, you see, about that:

- When I want to get dungeon tokens, I play dungeons, and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want to get fractal relicts, I play fractals of the mists and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want green prophet shards I play EoD Strikes and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want Research Notes I do what exactly SPECIFCALLY for them that IS gameplay? Right: Nothing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Justforvisit.3709 said:

Yeah, you see, about that:

- When I want to get dungeon tokens, I play dungeons, and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want to get fractal relicts, I play fractals of the mists and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want green prophet shards I play EoD Strikes and get other loot and gold along the way
- When I want Research Notes I do what exactly SPECIFCALLY for them that IS gameplay? Right: Nothing.

Check the sources of research notes (if them being mentioned in this thread is somehow not enough) and do whatever you want to get what you need for either -or all- of those methods. It's as "not acquired through gameplay" as things like karma, spirit shards or gold. So... wrong.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Justforvisit.3709 said:

When I want Research Notes I do what exactly SPECIFCALLY for them that IS gameplay? Right: Nothing.

Imperial Favour is what you are asking for, if you need Imperial Favour you play EoD events.

Research Notes are just a broad material sink to stabilize the price of mats.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

How you SALVAGED a helmet, to be precise... 😁

Actually, now that I think of it: We don't have to craft paper first before using Research Kits and we don't get anything back like we do when salvaging, it just poofs. So maybe we just transform things into paper like what Konan does to herself in Naruto. 📄

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

How you SALVAGED a helmet, to be precise... 😁

I recently mixed large quantities of blueberries, cherries, almonds and walnuts in a huge bowl.

I then picked apart all that trailmix, taking 150 pages of notes on the process.

The Xunlai Jade Associate thought it was such compelling reading, they upgraded my service module for me.

🤪

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I recently mixed large quantities of blueberries, cherries, almonds and walnuts in a huge bowl.

I then picked apart all that trailmix, taking 150 pages of notes on the process.

The Xunlai Jade Associate thought it was such compelling reading, they upgraded my service module for me.

🤪

Ah yes, the great "but IRL it wouldn't be like that!!11" comments arrived, because when you salvage a bow for parts irl, you get a regular log of wood 🙃

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

On 5/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

Please Anet, stop.

I'm so tired to spend hours to (buy), craft and recycle, or to search the last useless ascended weapon on my character I could sacrifice.
Give research notes in meta events, in daily/weekly achievements ... or just stop the grind.

Edit* : Plus I'm pretty sure in the next episodes we'll get a new craft like "Hey, did you save  2000 Gold Ingots and 2000 Silver Ingots for our new skin ? Time to farm again, enjoy."

Wow yeah that would get annoying! What were they thinking? lol

• Confused 6

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Check the sources of research notes (if them being mentioned in this thread is somehow not enough) and do whatever you want to get what you need for either -or all- of those methods. It's as "not acquired through gameplay" as things like karma, spirit shards or gold. So... wrong.

That isn't really going to go anywhere. It is just arguing over semantics at this point. Crafting is part of the game therefore crafting is still playing the game. This thread is just one of the many "I want X but I don't want to do Y to get it" threads.

Are the methods of obtaining RN great? NO but they are serviceable. The extra layer of RNG was really unnecessary but it was probably added for the gambling addict part of people's brains. I think that part was a failure anyway since things cost too much notes. If you are crafting/researching stacks of items you probably won't notice the occasional item gives more notes. That RNG also makes the whole thing more opaque when not relying on external resources. Going through the motions of crafting is also completely unnecessary if the box to obtain notes is enabled in the crafting interface it should just do the calculations and give the amount of notes instead. If I craft 1000 of a thing to turn into notes then just give me 1000xhowever many notes the item gives. There is no need to waste my time nor ANet's money running that loop a thousand times.

A lot of words have been wasted the many different versions of "should everything be available by doing anything?".  Personally I don't care because if I want something then I will do whatever is required(assuming I want it enough to put in the effort) but at the same time I attach no significance to the fact a thing was required to obtain an item. A skin isn't any more special to me just because it required completing a collection, dropped from something, I collected a bunch of stuff to craft or whatever. It is simply desirable or not.

People SHOULD point out things that are bad but if they are not on actionable things it is probably useless feedback. This is the same as bug reports that just say "X has a bug". Don't hold your breath on ever seeing that fixed.

If your entire point is that everything should be obtainable by doing anything then I wish you the best of luck because I doubt that will ever happen. I am not against it but I've not seen anyone provide a compelling argument for why this should be the case.

The name "Research Note" makes me wonder if there was some cut content. There is nothing in EoD to suggest the existence that there a academically focused culture where people might use research as a form of currency but this is a world building problem.

For the people who think "just put it on an NPC instead!" would be good .... here is what happened when they did that => https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Provisioner_Token

That was an attempt with completed items. For raw materials there is the Festival of the Four Winds but based on prices from https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/zephyrite-supply-boxes it doesn't seem to accomplish much either.

As for the success/failure of the notes system that would require checking for prices across the board. That would require more effort that I am willing to spend but if anyone has actual research notes😁 then I am all ears.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Are the methods of obtaining RN great? NO but they are serviceable.

The main problem with obtaining RN is not that it does not work - it does. The main issue is that this method falls victim to the most cardinal sin of gaming designs - it is not just boring, but actively unfun.

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

For the people who think "just put it on an NPC instead!" would be good .... here is what happened when they did that => https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Provisioner_Token

Yeah. Precisely. Provisioner Tokens were a bad idea, so why exactly someone thought that introducing something even worse was sensible?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Sumpfkraut.7195 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quality_Tuning_Crystal

Craft this items, and make sure you have the checkbox below checked.

You can get 10k notes in a few minutes.

...6 incandescent dusts for 1 research note? That's... a bit excessive, don't you think?

Edit: 5 notes (forgot the recipe gives 5 items, not 1), but it's still quite a lot. Especially when one incandescent dust costs as much as one Quality Tuning Crystal on TP. And that to craft 10k notes you'd need 12k dusts.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 5/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Exactly so.  This mechanic has in no way affected the materials that I have stored up because I'm simply not engaging with it. 

Same for me. I avoid pretty much anything involving research notes.

Ive made the bare minimum bot upgrading and crafted one or 2 of those serpent weapons because those are really nice. 

I have everything for a few gen3 legies and intended to further upgrade bot but just cant get myself to do it because of rn. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Same for me. I avoid pretty much anything involving research notes.

Ive made the bare minimum bot upgrading and crafted one or 2 of those serpent weapons because those are really nice. 

I have everything for a few gen3 legies and intended to further upgrade bot but just cant get myself to do it because of rn. 

Yeah, research notes are one of the main reasons I changed my mind and sold off my 100 stored Ambergris and 100 A.S.S

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah, research notes are one of the main reasons I changed my mind and sold off my 100 stored Ambergris and 100 A.S.S

Weird reason, but some people sure liked that you did.

(and despite me thinking it's a weird reason, good job on making a completely valid choice you wanted to make, I don't see the problem here)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Research notes were perfect when implemented. A great idea to make all the worthless equipment, potions, and items that drop throughout the game be useful.

Anet going back and removing tons of drops from tables and limiting what could be researched is what ruined it. Soon it will be yet another abandoned currency for the next expansion's version of research notes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, Sumpfkraut.7195 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quality_Tuning_Crystal

Craft this items, and make sure you have the checkbox below checked.

You can get 10k notes in a few minutes.

Do not do that, lol. That RN is about seven times as expensive as the cheapest ones.
https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/costs-per-research-note

5 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Do not do that, lol. That RN is about seven times as expensive as the cheapest ones.
https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/costs-per-research-note

That is fastFarming lying to you. Nobody gonna fill these buy orders on the crafted exotics. @Sumpfkraut.7195 Has the right idea. Just craft on of the consumables that gives 1 Research Note. Cost for that is somewhere between 50 copper and 1 silver.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Do you not see the potions and the earrings, or..?

Just to make sure, we are on the same page here. Quality_Tuning_Crystal have an output of 5. So the crafting cost per unit is below 1 silver with instant buy from tp.
You did talk about difference of seven times and posted a fast farming link. 

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I forgot the output is x5. This lowers the x7 down to about x1.3. Not an insignificant saving.

Times 1.3 is an fair trade of for not relaying on buy orders. Especially if the buy order in question is a third of the sell order(44 C buy order to 1S 37C Sell order).

Fastfarming is a good site. Their insistence on buy orders are at times overly optimistic. Sometimes even flat out misleading.

Edit: For some reason cost calculation in the list is affected by the TP listing setting instead of Material cost setting. Now I see what you mean.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Fastfarming is a good site. Their insistence on buy orders are at times overly optimistic. Sometimes even flat out misleading.

Sometimes, but not exactly in this case. Spoiler alert: you are wrong about those exotic buy orders not being filled on tp, I did it a while ago.

On the other hand, I agree that not everything needs to be completely optimized. Not that crafting/researching "more optimal" options from that site is any problem (which is also something I did). As it was already said, there are options available and the players are perfectly fine to pick whichever they like the most.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1