How will "Hide player visual effects" impact gem store items?

On 5/30/2023 at 12:26 AM, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

The point is you buy it because you like it. You don't know if others can see it or if they even care. For all you know they only see the generic armor and weapons because of visual settings. Based on that fact alone, spending gold/money on gemstore items to show off to other people sounds completely pointless. Do you buy your clothes irl only to show off to people, or because you actually like the clothes? It's the same pointless principle. But if it makes you happy running around in gemstore items, assuming people can see it and actually take the time to, you do you.

Irl, it truly depends on the occassion.  There are definitely occassions where I wear clothes specifically due to what I am expected to wear, or what others will judge me by, or how others would perceive me - so yes, some events I buy clothes that I both like and it’s also because I need it to be shown to people. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.  

Actually I think this is how most people buy clothes.  1) whether they like it, and 2) how they would like to be perceived wearing it. If #2 is not true, then just take away and imagine losing all the mirrors in your house when you are getting dressed, no need to worry to check the mirror of what you look like. 

Edited by Hycinthus.6483
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Min Min.9368 said:

My thoughts too. It's like you bought an expensive dress, all shiny and pretty but only you are able to see all its shine and glamour, the rest of the salty World would choose to see your dress in dull black and white because they couldn't afford it. Won't be buying expensive dresses anymore for sure... 

To which I say, enjoy your newfound wealth! Even without a new option that hides gem store items the rest of the players can already choose to see your character in a default model (lowest character quality) or even not see you at all (play solo, play in indistinguishable blobs, or don't play). No sweat, save yourself some money, you deserve it!

In all honesty the current change coming down is only going to help you guys since players will be able to lower the visual effects of skills being used, making you guys stand out instead of being blanked out by an explosion.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2023 at 5:56 AM, Freya.9075 said:

If you buy gemstore items to show off, you’re doing it wrong. If this setting hides these items (which I don’t think it will since it did say skill effects) and people choose to hide them, they are not interested in seeing your shinies anyway. And they will not be impressed by your purchases but rather appalled by it. 

Best answer in this thread. 

23 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I cant wait, I can finally see what the boss is doing! 

This is soo true. 

I buy/craft armor because i like it. The game has soo much awesome effects. But you are unable to see it because it just looks like 1 big sun eruption when a group attacks a boss. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2023 at 8:56 PM, Freya.9075 said:

If you buy gemstore items to show off, you’re doing it wrong. If this setting hides these items (which I don’t think it will since it did say skill effects) and people choose to hide them, they are not interested in seeing your shinies anyway. And they will not be impressed by your purchases but rather appalled by it. 

There is nothing wrong with dressing to impress others.  It is a legitimate way to design our characters, and it comes with the benefit of being appealing and interesting to others.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

There is nothing wrong with dressing to impress others.  It is a legitimate way to design our characters, and it comes with the benefit of being appealing and interesting to others.  

Where did I say it's wrong to dress to impress? Some people buy items just to get attention. Without even liking these items. "The shinier the better." And that's doing it wrong. If you do your fashion in a way you like and want to share it, I'm all for it. My point was that some people just don't like these shiny gemstore items. And if they could, they would hide them instantly because they do not find shiny gemstore fashion appealing and interesting, but appaling. Making this whole dress to impress meaningless anyways. Not everyone is into fashion. I however love fashion in this game. There are so many interesting and unique looks. But that's beside the point here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

maybe read what I said in my reply regarding this. If you buy these items purely to show off you are indeed doing it wrong. Liking these items should also be in the purchase. If you like them, then what's the problem buying them and show them off? It's two different things.

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/28/2023 at 10:14 PM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

As someone who has spent quite a bit of money on gem store items, I see a lot of people saying they are going to disable player visual effects.

What I am understanding is that "visual effects" includes minis, pets, etc. "Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments. To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not. At which point, what is the point of buying visual items on the gem store if probably half, if not more, of the player base wont even see it?

You spent so much on the gemstore to get permission to look like a glowing ball of light for yourself.  You didn't pay anyone else for their permission to show off to them.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

maybe read what I said in my reply regarding this. If you buy these items purely to show off you are indeed doing it wrong. Liking these items should also be in the purchase. If you like them, then what's the problem buying them and show them off? It's two different things.

There's nothing wrong with buying items purely to show off.  That is as legitimate of a reason to buy an item as it is to want it for personal appeal.  A person can like an item because of how much they can show off to other players.  Prestige is still a part of fashion.  Back in my day, we called it Bling, but I think it goes by Drip or Rizz now.  

I get the feeling when you say "they find it appalling," you really mean that you find it appalling.  

Edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

There's nothing wrong with buying items purely to show off.  That is as legitimate of a reason to buy an item as it is to want it for personal appeal.  A person can like an item because of how much they can show off to other players.  Prestige is still a part of fashion.  Back in my day, we called it Bling, but I think it goes by Drip or Rizz now.  

I get the feeling when you say "they find it appalling," you really mean that you find it appalling.  

I am not bothered by these shiny fashion choices. Even if they stack 10 confetti infusions on top of them I’ll just do my own thing and let them do their own thing. I wouldn’t remove it if the option was there basically. 

If you go for the bling, rizz, or drip or whatever and like it, then it’s not part of what I am talking about. There’s clearly a misunderstanding here. Perhaps I’m not getting my point across well since English is my third language or whatever. There exists players who deliberately make their character look like a circus to annoy other players (trolls). Since it’s an online game this is part of every game in many ways. But it’s still doing it wrong. Like using mesmer portals or aviator’s memory boxes to troll other players. And if we could choose to remove this (which this topic is about and why I mentioned it) they would choose to do so. Not sure why it’s so hard to understand what my point was, but IAmNotMatthew summed it up pretty good in one sentence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

I am not bothered by these shiny fashion choices. Even if they stack 10 confetti infusions on top of them I’ll just do my own thing and let them do their own thing. I wouldn’t remove it if the option was there basically. 

If you go for the bling, rizz, or drip or whatever and like it, then it’s not part of what I am talking about. There’s clearly a misunderstanding here. Perhaps I’m not getting my point across well since English is my third language or whatever. There exists players who deliberately make their character look like a circus to annoy other players (trolls). Since it’s an online game this is part of every game in many ways. But it’s still doing it wrong. Like using mesmer portals or aviator’s memory boxes to troll other players. And if we could choose to remove this (which this topic is about and why I mentioned it) they would choose to do so. Not sure why it’s so hard to understand what my point was, but IAmNotMatthew summed it up pretty good in one sentence. 

You're moving the goalpost.  It is very clear from your first post in this thread that "trolls" had nothing to do with it.  You were quite succinct on your own:

On 5/29/2023 at 8:56 PM, Freya.9075 said:

• Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

You're moving the goalpost.  It is very clear from your first post in this thread that "trolls" had nothing to do with it.  You were quite succinct on your own:

Not really, but you're free to feel so. It doesn't change my main point that if the option to hide certain fashion choices was available, people who find these choices appaling would do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Freya.9075 said:

Not really, but you're free to feel so. It doesn't change my main point that if the option to hide certain fashion choices was available, people who find these choices appaling would do so.

No.  You're point was that it is wrong to buy gemstore items to show off.  It was the very first thing you said.  

• Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

No.  You're point was that it is wrong to buy gemstore items to show off.  It was the very first thing you said.  

yes. If you do not like the items. 

No point bickering back and forth about minor things like this. I explained before what I was talking about so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

As I pointed out before, that is a contradiction.  Wanting to show off is still a quality of an item that is liked. 

Fine. Perhaps I used the wrong word. It happens. Or perhaps showing off can mean several things. Maybe exhibitionist is a better word for it. “Exhibitionist is a fancy word for "show-off." If you're an exhibitionist, you crave the kind of reaction you get from being the center of attention. In some cases, an exhibitionist gets that attention by taking his or her clothes off in public — a streaker or flasher is also an exhibitionist.”

Wrong choice of word or not, I did explain what I meant. Seems like a petty argument about semantics to me.  And it still does not change my point that if there was a way for people to hide certain fashion choices, they would when they find these certain fashion choices appalling. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:56 AM, Hycinthus.6483 said:

Irl, it truly depends on the occassion.  There are definitely occassions where I wear clothes specifically due to what I am expected to wear, or what others will judge me by, or how others would perceive me - so yes, some events I buy clothes that I both like and it’s also because I need it to be shown to people. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.  

Actually I think this is how most people buy clothes.  1) whether they like it, and 2) how they would like to be perceived wearing it. If #2 is not true, then just take away and imagine losing all the mirrors in your house when you are getting dressed, no need to worry to check the mirror of what you look like. 

..."due to what I am expected to wear,..." In other words, a dress code. That is still not the same thing as buying clothes to show off to others. You can adhere to a dress code and still choose your clothes solely based on what you like and not to show off. It's not as if any place that has a dress code is the MET gala, where people really do wear clothes to show them off.

This is not the same thing as buying stuff on the gemstore solely so other people can see you have it. And yes, I say solely, because according to OP there's no point in buying stuff off the gemstore when others can't see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:54 AM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

I do like them, but part of the fun is to be able to show them off to people.

While I understand infusions and what not can be obnoxious, I don't think all visual items should be disabled. What I am getting from the idea is that all visual items will be disabled, not just the really big/heavy visual items.

Why should MY enjoyment of the game suffer .. due to YOUR obnoxiously garish particle effects (assuming your cosmetics have them) .. so that YOUR enjoyment is enhanced?

Seems pretty selfish of you, really, to want to force your gordy dress on my eyes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

There's nothing wrong with buying items purely to show off.  That is as legitimate of a reason to buy an item as it is to want it for personal appeal.  A person can like an item because of how much they can show off to other players.

Except that what is being argued for is preventing others from choosing not to look at you(in the generic sense, not you personally) when you decide to show off. An ability to hide player cosmetics (somewhat of a moot point because that isnt what ANet has described for the upcoming change) would in no way prevent one from showing off to those interested in seeing others showing off. What the OP, and certain others, are advocating for is, essentially, imposing their desire to show off onto others who dont want to participate in that action.

When your enjoyment of something comes down to forcing others to participate, against their will, in your personal preferences there is somethig wrong.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3