WvW and the Toxicity

senftube.6081

Another topic that I also find important is to chalk up the toxic behavior of certain players.

Why do certain players who are very often veterans do that? Do you think that is healthy for the game, when newcomers are jumpt, plastered with blueprints or even vomited on them? What is wrong with some people?

In addition, I wonder why certain players who have been conspicuous for years are simply never really punished by Anet and just blithely continue as before. There is this certain thief with blue hair who is just trolling and bully other palyers and has probably learned no decency from his parents and must have his fragile ego confirmed in the game. Anet such people understand only the language of punishment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

Game has been out for 10+ years. This means a lot of the normal people have stopped playing, leaving behind a lot of people who don't remember what it is like to be new, and expect everyone else to know everything.

It's just normal in a lot of games for the community to be more clichquish and insular, a lot of people spew unfunny insider memes that nobody else understands and do stuff that may offend normal people.

In WvW, the situation is worse because it is not very casual friendly. In addition, it is very easy to get carried in Gw2 by design, and also by the nonexistent balance that has been the status quo for many years. This also caused a lot of the good players to leave, and what you get are a lot of insecure people with inflated egos. They probably got stomped on a lot in the past so they take it out on new players.

In any case, I cringe a lot when people start screaming at newer players that clearly don't know what they're doing yet. They could be new additions to the communities, but instead we are all driving them away. People that don't want noob dirty pve scum in their presence; did they not realize many WvWers started like that?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, senftube.6081 said:

Another topic that I also find important is to chalk up the toxic behavior of certain players.

Why do certain players who are very often veterans do that? Do you think that is healthy for the game, when newcomers are jumpt, plastered with blueprints or even vomited on them? What is wrong with some people?

In addition, I wonder why certain players who have been conspicuous for years are simply never really punished by Anet and just blithely continue as before. There is this certain thief with blue hair who is just trolling and bully other palyers and has probably learned no decency from his parents and must have his fragile ego confirmed in the game. Anet such people understand only the language of punishment.

Report those players (in game), block them and be done. Nothing you can do to improve their manners and if you try to communicate with those kind of players you most likely will be baited or just wasting your time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

In WvW, the situation is worse because it is not very casual friendly. In addition, it is very easy to get carried in Gw2 by design, and also by the nonexistent balance that has been the status quo for many years. This also caused a lot of the good players to leave, and what you get are a lot of insecure people with inflated egos. They probably got stomped on a lot in the past so they take it out on new players.

This is so incredibly accurate. The same thing happened towards the end of Guild Wars 1 and its popularity.

in GvG and HoH (Heroes Ascent) it was the holdouts who were never that great that stuck around. I would come back to the game here and there but I encountered people sweating it out and generally being toxic.

Still my favorite combat system. I don't understand how they got it so wrong in Guild Wars 2. They did a lot right with Guild Wars 2 but the spammability of conditions, boons and pretty much everything makes pvp a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Some of your player base, "bullies" in the WvW combat field, are those that have grown bored of PvP, and no longer have a challenge.  Or they are unable to find a challenge.  Their only option is to find a larger pool of players to find, in order to force that challenge. I say force the challenge.  Majority of WvW players are supposed to be a "team" completing objectives on a map.  Whether large or small scale.  You will have individuals that find this boring.  They have come to an apex within their skill set, where they no longer have a challenge, and if there are a larger group of players to find that challenge, then they'll grab that option.  Your solo antagonist will choose a target, and force a PvP, even if that other individual is not set for PvP.

I only find it toxic, is if that individual "whispers" me, whether I win or lose.  But unlike my opponent, WvW is a combat battlefield with team play, so if someone comes to my aid to defeat that PvP individual, I welcome it.  This is where they whisper, how they could have taken me easily if I hadn't had help.  It's team play in WvW.  If you wish to aid me against an opponent, the help is welcome.  There are PvP arena's if the solo artist wanted things to be 1 vs 1, and that's the failure of the Solo artist to realize what WvW is.  And that's where the attitude comes in from the solo PvP player.

I don't seek PvP.  I seek a member of the opposing Team from completing their objectives.  Defending a camp or tower, safeguarding or taking a camp.  Making sure enemy "reinforcements" do not reach their teammates on map.  However unlike a true PvP'r if an ally comes along, I welcome them to complete my objective, which is to stop the enemy in their tracks, if possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, senftube.6081 said:

It seems most of these people only exist on certain servers.  I wish they were gone too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, senftube.6081 said:

Sadly it is not a new thing. 

If you want to, spin it, it can work out for you. Next time they are doing so, don't release. Get up grab a refreshing drink and come back and let your timer spin out if they are still there. If they are, they just wasted all that time, siege prints or just effort trying to figure out why you didn't release. Once saw a group of 20 stand on my body for a full release cycle. Told my guildmates to release and hit some targets while they stayed on my toon dancing and throwing more and more siege. Was hilarious and counted it as a win as I saw guildmates take some targets while the other side was fixated on watching my corpse. Also gave me some time to clean my bags and sell some stuff on the trading post, so was all the better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You call that bullying?  This is bullying,
Inviting unsuspecting new player into their guild, follow by laughing at them in Teamspeak after hearing that they have a deep voice, they kick them off the guild for god knows what reasons, re-inviting them and immediately kicked them off the guild, giggling and laughing at them, and then give them a nickname "kitten" calling them that every time they see them type in Chat  for nearly a year.  That is Bullying. 

Edit: the nickname they give is even censored by forum. imagine that lmao. 

For the person with the confused emoji, yes I am very confuse as to why there are such SCUMBAGS in the game too. 

Edited by babana.7521
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

You call that bullying?  This is bullying,
Inviting unsuspecting new player into their guild, follow by laughing at them in Teamspeak after hearing that they have a deep voice, they kick them off the guild for god knows what reasons, re-inviting them and immediately kicked them off the guild, giggling and laughing at them, and then give them a nickname "kitten" calling them that every time they see them type in Chat  for nearly a year.  That is Bullying. 

Edit: the nickname they give is even censored by forum. imagine that lmao. 

For the person with the confused emoji, yes I am very confuse as to why there are such SCUMBAGS in the game too. 

Very well said.

It is no Surprise by now that, Guild Wars 2 Culture is Toxic. Everything from the game design, from Profession design, from the players experiences, from the game environment, from players behaviors and from Anet being an example...has resulted with Toxicity being the clear main model of Guild Wars 2 Culture.

"Leaders Model Expected Behaviors"

"Lead By Example"

Anet as a Leader to The Community, to its Players, to its Environment, to its Game Design, to its Profession Design and to its Community Behaviors; are Responsible for Enforcing A Healthy Competitive Gaming Experience For Everyone.

Toxicity-Toxic Behaviors continues because there is no core values that are not enforced

Until Anet Address in Prioritizing their Duty in creating, promoting and addressing a Safe, Caring, Healthy, Fair-Play, Fun gaming experience for Guild Wars 2 Culture...

Toxicity will continue to infect Guild Wars 2 Culture. Toxicity will  accelerate with keeping potential Guild Wars 2 players from playing the game, pushing out present players from continuing playing, spreading 'word of mouth' marketing of Toxicity being normalize and accepted in Guild Wars 2

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, Polar.8634 said:

when you joined guild which uses teamspeak you should know something is not right.

Discord was not available back then.  It was either Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

Edited by babana.7521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:52 AM, babana.7521 said:

after hearing that they have a deep voice

mmmm..~ dat sexy voice~ 😏💕

they're just jealous. 🤣

block them and try to move on, really not much else you can do.

hope you find a better guild, good luck. 🙂

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Polar.8634 said:

Wow, if last time you encountered toxicity in wvw was dinosaur age, then it's not so bad

it really was great back in the early years, toxicity was mild to none. the awesome community was actually one of the main reasons why i decided to commit to gw2. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, eXruina.4956 said:

it really was great back in the early years, toxicity was mild to none. the awesome community was actually one of the main reasons why i decided to commit to gw2. 🙂

It still great, if you go pvp for few matches and return to wvw and compare, wvw will appear as wonderland inhabited with angels and fluffy dogs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

Wow, if last time you encountered toxicity in wvw was dinosaur age, then it's not so bad

lol, alot of older guilds still use TS3, would derail the tread from there and since I am in [OLD] I plead the fifth. 🙂 Now get off my lawn! Good hunting lol. Side note: Vent was still better, just saying 😜 

• Like 1

There are reasons for this:

1. They have bad memory: They don't remember what its like to be new
  2. They want to stand out: Saying toxic things get response out of people. You say something positive or constructive? People react to you like you're an alien
  3. They're monkeys: They never learnt actual constructive ways to help people so they just mimic what they learnt
  4. They're dumb: They have never come up with effective build themselves so for them being metaslave is absolute
  5. They are having a bad day: Everyone gets triggered sometimes
  6. Bad rolemodels: Most streamers and youtubers that upload regularly are toxic

Also toxicity is relative, I have to somehow briefly point out that thieves, rangers and signet builds aren't exactly effective or fun way to play the gamemode. Some people can find this toxic because they don't see that I am trying to help those people.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yesterday, while following an open tag, I noticed a player in chat state that they were new and had no real idea what we were doing. They had enough AP to indicate that they were not brand new to the game, but still new to WvW. Other players in the group began explaining the siege placement, the mechanics of Righteous Indignation, scoring, the uses for the various currencies, etc. Several veterans suggested that the new player add them as friends and feel free to ask questions any time. Others started discussing the difference between PvE and WvW builds. All of this happened over the course of an hour or two without a single negative comment, cry of "noob" or anything of the sort.

I am not saying that the toxicity others mention does not occur, we have all seen it, just a reminder that it is not omnipresent. Humans tend to remember the negative more than the positive.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Yesterday, while following an open tag, I noticed a player in chat state that they were new and had no real idea what we were doing. They had enough AP to indicate that they were not brand new to the game, but still new to WvW. Other players in the group began explaining the siege placement, the mechanics of Righteous Indignation, scoring, the uses for the various currencies, etc. Several veterans suggested that the new player add them as friends and feel free to ask questions any time. Others started discussing the difference between PvE and WvW builds. All of this happened over the course of an hour or two without a single negative comment, cry of "noob" or anything of the sort.

I am not saying that the toxicity others mention does not occur, we have all seen it, just a reminder that it is not omnipresent. Humans tend to remember the negative more than the positive.

Agree have to say I see this more than the other. I guess mileage varies per server as far as people asking for help and the responses they see from that callout.

22 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

Online toxic bullying is toxic regardless when it happens, anonymity breeds contempt is real.  

22 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

It still great, if you go pvp for few matches and return to wvw and compare, wvw will appear as wonderland inhabited with angels and fluffy dogs 

I have never encounter toxicity in PvP, a lot of salt yes, but not bullying and toxic like what I encountered  in WvW.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

Online toxic bullying is toxic regardless when it happens, anonymity breeds contempt is real.  

I have never encounter toxicity in PvP, a lot of salt yes, but not bullying and toxic like what I encountered  in WvW.

I'm so sorry if you had any bad experience in WWW. The advice if you have found rude people is to turn away, and continue to have fun exactly as if they did not exist. And it is not true that you are anonymous. In WWW you have a name and a surname People and communities will take a few hours to understand who you are. Even if you use your alt to hide, they will still take little time to recognize you.

The only reality of this discourse is that people tend to group together, to form a group. They usually look for similar people don't ask me why but this is what they do. So if you are rude, you will find yourself in the middle of a bunch of rude, while if you are kind, you will be surrounded by other kind people. guaranteed. ✌️

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1