Weaponmaster Training

Laosduude.1690

They can't give us a derpy Scepter instead of the Focus we should have got last time only to use up the next big update on an Axe. I feel like thieves will get every other clunky weapon before a Focus or off hand Sword or anything more fitting for the profession.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Wanting yet another 2 hander on a spec that specializes in combining weapons with dual skills (which gives a lot more build flexibility and diversity) is just baffling to me.

Thief already got shafted twice with Staff and Rifle, and you want yet ANOTHER 2 hander...nice!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

They can't give us a derpy Scepter instead of the Focus we should have got last time only to use up the next big update on an Axe. I feel like thieves will get every other clunky weapon before a Focus or off hand Sword or anything more fitting for the profession.

Yeah, my first thought was 'skipping out on an offhand again, you cowards.' It's probably because a mainhand weapon only requires two dual skills, while an offhand would need three under the current system, four now that weapons will no longer be spec-exclusive, and five after axe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Too bad Specter cant do strike dmg builds so Staff and Rifle are out... and Rifle still sucks from having no AoE while still having no difference mechanically from Dual Pistols. It will just make Dual Pistols even worse choice. The Ally AoE on Scepter is cool but idk why we can't get it on attacks too, it'd make it so much more fun if it did. AoE Rot Weiler venoms not even getting me kill credit consistantly even after tons of tick dmg?

I'm happy for Axe, it's one of the weapons I wanted most~ wish it was Dual Axe though. Hopefully tons of cleave that doesnt animation lock or move us around annoyingly like Death Blossom, or glitchily like Weakening Charge.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Axe is weird tbh. Im not sure what niche it can fulfill. For melee we already got our bases covered, and I guess it could be thrown like Rangers axe, but then its either condi and overlaps with Pistol, or its power but then it lacks a good off-hand.

might be aoe-condi but thats more a copium guess, also woundn't be surprised when this will be the "new" condi melee weapon and dagger gets revisit to be more power-ish in dancing dagger and death blossom as well, but I thing that is too much of a change to ask for.

ok now when i think about it again that all makes less sense, lets see.

I'm curious how many hours a 7 malice Malicious Hook Strike will knock someone down for.

Really would've preferred focus over an axe though, core Thief could really lean into the shadow magic side more to bridge the gap with Specter in my opinion.

Edited by Kanaima.2546

Rifle/Scepter seem like they wouldn't be that great on other specs tbh, their mechanics are really tied to the spec they came with, and staff is kinda just another generic power weapon so meh, can't see that being good on specter at all, and for DE? Well staff's stealth attack is a CC so not amazing for DPS, potentially annoying for PvP depending on how much malice increases the knockdown (if it even will). Axe is a bit of a wildcard, can't say I'm surprised though, they're running out of 2H weapons that would be thematically appropriate for thief, though i do wish it was Off-hand or main+OH so we could dual wield, or at least combo with sword.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Axe is weird tbh. Im not sure what niche it can fulfill. For melee we already got our bases covered, and I guess it could be thrown like Rangers axe, but then its either condi and overlaps with Pistol, or its power but then it lacks a good off-hand.

or CC focused

I wished it was great sword too. Would be nice to have a weapon thats really focused more heavily on cleaves.

Axe is nice too, I guess? I don't know what they intend to do with it. And to be frank, I am more disappointed that it wasn't given to us as both main and offhand.

I would be ok with a Focus as well (what we should have gotten instead of the kitten scepter)

We don't have a lot of options for our off hand weapons. Just dagger or pistol. Other professions have more offhands than we do, and yet our offhands are supposed to mix with the mainhand for the third skil

And this really hurts... Considering those last two skills are basically always just utility options.

Dagger cloak or poke.

Pistol interrupt or blind.

Axe could have easily been an aggressive offhand.

Edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, Deadeye alone will benefit from weapon training I think thanks to M7. They can make full use of Staff for some tremendous cleave or replace the defunct Pistol/Dagger single target condi build with Scepter. 

But Daredevil gets nothing out from Scepter, and Rifle is useless without M7 and Malicious attacks.

Specter in the other hand is currently designed so that you can't spend initiative with it with weapons that aren't scepter. Even just autos on Staff arent gonna cut it since its also hard configured to be a torment-only damage spec.

8 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

I blame everyone asking for dumb weapons. :)

• Like 1

Main-hand axe wasn't what I expected. but what is more, we're gonna have 5 main-hand weapons means but also only two off-hand weapons. This will be a first for any class. I think it'll be a melee cleaving weapon with perhaps a midrange skill. I wonder what kind of utility/CC potential there will be on a dual-wield set like axe + dagger, or axe + pistol. I'd be scared if main-hand axe simply had a pull even.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nopoet.2960 said:

Scepter Deadeye... Anet you sure about this?

you're not gaining malice from targetting allies so DE gains no benefit from that, Scepter Deadeye is just gonna be the single target condi build that Pistol/Dagger should have been before it got gutted

• Like 1
  • Sad 1