Will Relics invalidate legendary runes? [Merged]

True Story

Before the introduction of the Legendary Armory, there were a few people (including myself) who had crafted two (or more!) additional full sets of Legendary Runes for the other two armor weights (and any extra Legendary Armor sets one might have owned from various game modes).

We were "compensated" for the spare sets that we could no longer use. Was it a loss of gold and resources for some? Certainly. But we survived.

The whole "Oh Gods, my Legendary Runes are going to be devalued by Relics!" is nothing in comparison. You really need to calm down and wait to see what ANet has planned for us.

• Confused 9

3 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

That's what we're asking here, didn't you see?

And can you see how I put the term in quotation marks? Many didn't feel compensated for the huge loss of gold and resources at all.

Imagine how the people with multiple legendary weapons of the same type felt, too. And the owners of six or nine sets of legendary armor.

There is no true compensation for this sort of thing that will satisfy everyone, you just need to accept that and stop whining about the (in comparison) small loss of gold over this.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

Just now, Geralt.7519 said:

What did you get?

They got boxes allowing them to unlock other legendary items, one for each duplicate item over the armory limit. 

It's also worth noting that in, terms of functionality, people lost nothing and gained a lot (account wide usage of Legendary equipment) when the armory came out. Not the case here.

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

They got boxes allowing them to unlock other legendary items, one for each duplicate item over the armory limit.

That's not adequate enough? They didn't strip any functionality from existing legendaries (as you said) like they're doing now with runes and they added a system that lets you duplicate legendaries indefinitely, that's the opposite of what they're doing now.

And those who had all leggys already could choose weapons that can be sold on TP,  it doesn't give you back the time you spent but it's still a pretty proper compensation in my book.

And now they're telling us we can't ask for a legendary relic to compensate the loss of functionality? Holy smokes ...

Edited by Geralt.7519
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

48 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

And now they're telling us we can't ask for a legendary relic to compensate the loss of functionality? Holy smokes ...

You only got a weapon if you had excess of the armory, so for example if you had 5 legendary axes, you received 1 free box. As most legendaries cost roughly the same, in a way it could be seen as un-accountbounding the exceeding weapons.
If you had excess armor or runes/sigils, you could just chose from those and in the case of armor, just got "a new skin" if you already had the three weight sets.
The issue here is that you crafted something that is of no use for you, so you got a little bit back, some would argue not enough.

With this update you are not losing the "functionality" of legendary runes. You are not running without runes now because the set bonus is removed, do you? You still need runes for your builds, probably even more variety then before. Yes, runes on the whole get a bit worse, but the functionality of legendary runes stays exactly the same. I would have been fine without a compansation really, but alas we all get something, hooray!
You can ask for a legendary relic all you want, but that is just way better in functionality than what we lose and out of scope of previous "compensations", so don't get your hopes up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

16 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

That would be almost OK then, then the compensation could be them unlocking the Relic for every Rune set that Legendary Runes currently have. You're still losing the future proofing of Legendary Runes.

But yeah, I think it's unlikely that it's an account wide unlock as they talk about them being crafted in the blog... mind you Legendary Runes are also an account wide unlock. 🤷‍♂️

You craft legendary items and they're unlocked account wide, so I don't see any issue with them being crafted. Still unlikely.

And unlocking every relic for free would not be "almost OK", it would be OP. Why would you get to skip any farm and craft and achievement to get all the relics because you enjoyed 6th legendary rune in the past?

Edited by Kulvar.1239
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

You craft legendary items and they're unlocked account wide, so I don't see any issue with them being crafted. Still unlikely.

And unlocking every relic for free would not be "almost OK", it would be OP. Why would you get to skip any farm and craft and achievement to get all the relics because you enjoyed 6th legendary rune in the past?

Ok, let's say legendary relics are not free but crafted like the rest of the legendaries, would you still oppose them?

And what do you think would be a suitable compensation for leg runes? Nothing is not a valid answer since Anet did say they will give compensation, so what could it be proper in your opinion?

• Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

Because that's the functionality of legendaries? The moment Dragon stats got the game they were available on every Legendary weapon, armour and trinket straight away no need to craft another item to get them.

And it's important to now that I said unlock every Relic for all the current Rune sets, not for every Relic that is ever added in the future. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

What did you get?

There were several people posting how they received legendary weapon boxes to compensate for the surplus of legendary weapons. 😂 Others received legendary runes to compensate for the surplus of legendary runes.

I was a little persistent and ultimately graciously received something that was actually of use to me, namely the legendary WvW light armor set which I was working on at the time, though I had almost finished crafting it myself and had already many of the expensive components done and ready in my bank. 😄 But I got over it, and so will people here for "losing" a stat component that will be put into another item and (most importantly!) make for a much better customization option!

So people really should stop complaining and wait, because I am certain the change will be perceived as positive by everyone eventually. 🙂

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

There were several people posting how they received legendary weapon boxes to compensate for the surplus of legendary weapons. 😂 Others received legendary runes to compensate for the surplus of legendary runes.

I was a little persistent and ultimately graciously received something that was actually of use to me, namely the legendary WvW light armor set which I was working on at the time, though I had almost finished crafting it myself and had already many of the expensive components done and ready in my bank. 😄 But I got over it, and so will people here for "losing" a stat component that will be put into another item and (most importantly!) make for a much better customization option!

So people really should stop complaining and wait, because I am certain the change will be perceived as positive by everyone eventually. 🙂

Not bad at all!

You know, the problem for me is not "change", if I had problems with changes I could never play WoW, they almost remake the entire game at every new xpac lol.

As I said in other posts, the relic system is not a bad system per se, it can indeed give more options and freedom but that depends on how they implemented it, it's legendaries, not knowing what they intend to do about it is the worst part, if they did communicate properly in the first blog post, this thread would probably not even exist.

Anyway, we'll see on the 18th what their plans are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Chronardis.4028 said:

But now we'll be able to choose the stat combo we want from runes and the bonus we want from relics. So this is objectively a big improvement for everyone. We get far more freedom in customizing our builds if we can choose the stats and the bonuses separately. 

All they need to do is make relics easily accessible and add a legendary relic.

I agree in principle. The 18th can't get here fast enough so we can finally get some much need clarification (hopefully). Right now my legendary crafting is more or less on hold while we wait for additional information. But stat selecting runes from the handful of useful combinations is not worth the 2k gold to craft legendary runes. Not when, without the 6th effect, you can get the stats you want for 1g or less. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Because that's the functionality of legendaries? The moment Dragon stats got the game they were available on every Legendary weapon, armour and trinket straight away no need to craft another item to get them.

And it's important to now that I said unlock every Relic for all the current Rune sets, not for every Relic that is ever added in the future. 

I think a lot of people don't know/remember that, for almost a year(?) following EoD, you couldn't choose dragon/ritualist stats on the stat selectable trinkets you can get from LWS3 (I want to say stat selectable armor in general was the same, but I don't remember). The only way people instantly had access to those stats was through legendaries. Like, people were "rewarded" for having legendary gear. They didn't need to grind weird EoD things for the trinkets.

Relics as a concept are cool. Customization can be cool. But relics as currently vaguely described + Anet's surprise over legendary rune owning people being all "???????" about them is super concerning.

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
Typo - also accessories == trinkets. My Aion days are showing through lmao
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I agree in principle. The 18th can't get here fast enough so we can finally get some much need clarification (hopefully). Right now my legendary crafting is more or less on hold while we wait for additional information. But stat selecting runes from the handful of useful combinations is not worth the 2k gold to craft legendary runes. Not when, without the 6th effect, you can get the stats you want for 1g or less. 

Right now the runes cost 2g or less apart from Scholars 3g. That's why monetary arguments are a bit silly, it was never "worth it" for this to begin with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

True Story

Before the introduction of the Legendary Armory, there were a few people (including myself) who had crafted two (or more!) additional full sets of Legendary Runes for the other two armor weights (and any extra Legendary Armor sets one might have owned from various game modes).

We were "compensated" for the spare sets that we could no longer use. Was it a loss of gold and resources for some? Certainly. But we survived.

The whole "Oh Gods, my Legendary Runes are going to be devalued by Relics!" is nothing in comparison. You really need to calm down and wait to see what ANet has planned for us.

You gained functionality and infinite sets in the process.

Do go on.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

I don't mind new content as long as it doesn't render my old gear useless(regardless if is armor, runes, sigils etc).  As many stated before, crafting leggy runes took time, effort and gold...and is only fair to get compensation if they plan on taking them down.

Those that say otherwise means they never crafted the runes to see just how many clovers, simbols and tokens require 🙄...if i knew they will ever change the runes i would not have crafted them and would have used my wasted mats to crafting other items.

Hope they take the right decision and ccompensate accordingly the hard work. 

Edited by Zaiiry.3527
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

And can you see how I put the term in quotation marks? Many didn't feel compensated for the huge loss of gold and resources at all.

Imagine how the people with multiple legendary weapons of the same type felt, too. And the owners of six or nine sets of legendary armor.

There is no true compensation for this sort of thing that will satisfy everyone, you just need to accept that and stop whining about the (in comparison) small loss of gold over this.

Terrible analogy here.

As stated before,  you did not lose anything in regards to legendary functionality. You had 10 bolts to use on 10 chars? after legendary armory, you now could use up to 4 bolts on EVERY CHAR. No loss on your side, it was a loss comparatively to others, who unlocked 4 bolts only and got the same functionality. That is without counting in the compensation you guys got.

Here, we are losing an already acquired functionality, in the form the 6th rune effect and are forced / pushed to farm it back through a roundabout way, in the form of relic.

So no comparison to the legendary armory issue. Gold sink aside.

• Like 11
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Wolfyno.2704 said:

Terrible analogy here.

As stated before,  you did not lose anything in regards to legendary functionality. You had 10 bolts to use on 10 chars? after legendary armory, you now could use up to 4 bolts on EVERY CHAR. No loss on your side, it was a loss comparatively to others, who unlocked 4 bolts only and got the same functionality. That is without counting in the compensation you guys got.

Here, we are losing an already acquired functionality, in the form the 6th rune effect and are forced / pushed to farm it back through a roundabout way, in the form of relic.

So no comparison to the legendary armory issue. Gold sink aside.

You aren’t losing anything, the functionality of Legendary runes is being able to select any Rune  at any time. You still have 6 rune effects, you can still select any time at any time, Anet is just rebalancing runes to only give stats. You’re actually gaining functionality because now you can select any stat selection with an additional stat node in most cases and have whatever Relic effect now. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1