How do you feel about each of the controversial new features?

Open World Legendary Armor: 

It's about time. I feel like OW PvE'ers are a very separate and especially large group from Raiders. Ever since the legendary armory has come out, Anet created a reason for OW PvE'ers to want legendary stuff. So yeah, they don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time in a game mode they don't like.

Easier Skyscale: 

I'm a bit torn on this, though you do get some benefits from having the Skyscale unlocked already so that's good and I do understand that they needed to do this to make the new expansion work, so ok, I'll let it slide.

More Weapon Choices for All: 

I prefer them doing this over new elite specs. The elite specs are already a mess for balancing, though I'm not sure yet what this will do to balancing but it can't be as bad as new elite specs.

A lot of people are excited over this just the same but what I don't really see people talking about is how much this boosts the core classes. That's what I'm excited about because I like to play core necro and guardian in OW.

Runes and Relics: 

Great change. I always hated to have stats I want but with a set bonus effect that I didn't care about or vice versa. And I guess with the Relics you won't even need to get the same runes in all six slots and you could mix and match if you wanted.

The first thing I thought of was the DH Trapper build in WvW. The runes of the trapper bonus effect is what it's all about but the stats are pure condi whereas the DH traps are power based. So, that's one of those things that make me go "hmmmm".

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Maybe you have forgotten that, but core map completion rewards two Gifts of Exploration per character.

Thus core map completion on nine characters awards 18 Gifts of Exploration.

Yes and 3 armor weights times 6 is what?

• Confused 6

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

He was responding to someone who mistakenly claimed that you would need to complete exploration on 18 characters, which would generate 36 GoE. The 3 x 6 weights  you mention is exactly what the person you quoted was saying.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

It's 18, just like the amount of GoE's nine characters receive for map completion.

The person I quoted forgot that each character receives two GoE's.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4

Open World Legendary Armor:

Pretty good. I'm a PvE dedicated player that mostly just does WvW when she needs Gifts of Battles that doesn't like big collections that requires stuff like Fractals either. With this, I might actually begin to start crafting Legendary Armor. As this is arguably the most useful of all Legendary gear, I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Easier Skyscale:

It's funny, I've been spending the last month grinding LWS4 tokens for this then we get this. Now I can convert it to a few ascended trinkets from LWS4E3 and the rest for crafting material, that's nice.

More Weapon Choices for All:

I don't mind it. New weapons for Core Classes is great. While some weapons will be functionally useless without their elite specs, that's fine too. Some will be better than others. Hammer Power Holosmith was pretty fun to use in beta, although Sword Scrapper is useless. Sword/Warhorn Tempest and Weaver were also really fun. Some will be better than others- the chance for more diversity is great. Mace Holosmith can be better for inflicting conditions as a melee weapon than Sword at the cost of not gaining heat tiers. I still think it should require fully mastering an elite spec before you can do it though, to make sure players have incentive to fully master Elite Specs, but all in all this is great.

Runes and Relics:

This I'm unsure of. I don't have Legendary Runes, but I get the concern. Initially thought that this meant you would get essentially two final Rune bonuses, but it would appear that's not the case. I think players who have crafted at least 3 Legendary Runes should be compensated with a free Legendary Relic. More than anything my worry is the idea that we're going to constantly have new equipment slots, which is something GW2 really has avoided: the only "new" equipment slot we ever got was for Infusion and that was early in the game. Is there going to be a new set of gear we have to get every single expansion? Is there ALWAYS going to be a new Legendary grind now? Sure, it means players always have something to do... but I don't think this is how anyone wants it. I think we would be far better off having two separate full rune bonuses than anything. This is the one thing that has me worried because I worry it could open an unfortunate gateway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's 18, just like the amount of GoE's nine characters receive for map completion.

The person I quoted forgot that each character receives two GoE's.

wops I missed that someone said 18 only saw the 9 earlier in the thread=)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Open-World Legendary Armour- It amuses me to see so many people happy about this when we have no clues as to its' acquisition. I'm almost done with my last raid set and i'm not feeling threatened by this at all. In fact, if it has nice effects i might double-up on a set.

Easier Skyscale- I think this is a cop-out. Instead of getting creative with a new flying mount, anet went the lazy way by recycling an old mount. I got mine before any of the timegates were reduced/removed and i couldn't care less if other people have a less annoying route; i just think it's a missed opportunity to have helicopters/vtol's.

E-spec weapons for core classes- I think this is a newb-trap just like sceptre is on new mesmers. It presents itself as diversity but people will just find the maximal option and shun the others. I've seen a fair few players happy about greatsword on core necro, but i wonder if they have considered how slow it is with no quickness in shroud (from the GM reaper trait). What i would have preferred to see was land-based skills for the underwater weapons or just the ability to use them out of the water.

Runes and relics- Having invested into lege runes as a means to future-proof my chars this feels bad. It depends on how relics are acquired and if i'll have to make/get a lege relic (assuming such a thing is even available).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AzureNightmare.3914 said:

Easier Skyscale:I

t's funny, I've been spending the last month grinding LWS4 tokens for this then we get this. Now I can convert it to a few ascended trinkets from LWS4E3 and the rest for crafting material, that's nice.

Well, you may want to rethink that before you do anything. There is a point still to getting both done for the extra bonuses on the skyscale abilities. There aren't many of them and you may not care about them but you might regret not getting the skyscale the hard way in the end.

2 hours ago, AzureNightmare.3914 said:

More than anything my worry is the idea that we're going to constantly have new equipment slots, which is something GW2 really has avoided: the only "new" equipment slot we ever got was for Infusion and that was early in the game. Is there going to be a new set of gear we have to get every single expansion? Is there ALWAYS going to be a new Legendary grind now?

This is my worry as well, if this is the new trend, I won't like it.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 8:40 PM, A Hamster.2580 said:

Runes and Relics:

This is bad in my opinion. It is most likely a power creep and raises the monetary ceiling on "maxing out a build" for everyone.

I thought more or less the same. GW2 devs (I know the team had a lot of changes in their roaster, which is quite a bold and sometimes dumb move, imo) have done a few weird stuff over the years that affected their clients way too hard and failed to add elements of fun to the game. I'm not excited at all for these relics. It'd be way easier to just delete the rune and sigil system, give the players their wasted gold back and simply allow us to choose some stats and effects we want to play with (I'm being a bit sarcastic but not that much. I'm really failing to see the reason for this relic thing given the amount of near useless runes and sigils we have right now. It seems to me like they're overcomplicating a dumb problem that almost no one felt. But who knows, I may be wrong)

• Like 2

I think this "expansion" -- it's not really an expansion -- will be the final curtain on my many years of dedication to Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. I won't be buying it and once the skies are filled with skyscales, I won't be playing it anymore. It's been a good run, but I'm out.

And no, you can't have my stuff. I'm burning it all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

20 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Well, you may want to rethink that before you do anything. There is a point still to getting both done for the extra bonuses on the skyscale abilities. There aren't many of them and you may not care about them but you might regret not getting the skyscale the hard way in the end.

Pretty sure the bonuses are for leveling both PoF and SotO mastery tracks, not doing both acquisition methods.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Armor :

Well i don't have one myself but it seems to be a bit annoying for the people who farmed the previous leg amor. Leg items are for the fluff so handing them to everyone kind of defeats their own purpose.

Easier skyscale :

It's obviously a catch up mechanic. I'm kind of okay with it, because it may be necessary in some new maps and hopefully it will prevent latecomers and casuals from having a bad experience having everyone fly around them hastily to clear content while they can't follow fast enough on the ground, or maybe can't even reach the required places. And yes, i see you guys coming, it's ok to me tending to casuals and new players too.

More weapon choices :

To me it's obviously a good thing. It's something any player should be in favour of, unless they are intense pvp players who are tired working on their build. All in all, any sane player should be in favour of this to me and forget about chasing the shadows of imbalance while it's not even there.

Runes and relics :

As long as the devs don't let the leg rune owners behind with this change i'd be ok with it.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Armor :

Well i don't have one myself but it seems to be a bit annoying for the people who farmed the previous leg amor. Leg items are for the fluff so handing them to everyone kind of defeats their own purpose.

Absolutely, it punishes dedicated players and rewards lazy open world players. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

Weaponmaster Training is a nightmare. Weapons that are fine right now are going to be nerfed to hell and left broken. There will always be a few BIS options and it’s going to increase homogenization of all elite specs/core classes  massively. The diversity gained from this is an illusion. 

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

It only increases homogenization to some people min maxing, should some skills stand out. Not all the playerbase has a dps meter all day and does raids looking at their watch. Personally if i like the skills i'll play with them, and i'm not alone in this.

Please remember players can use the skills they want as long as it's technically possible to do so. Having 5% less dps on a given configuration or so doesn't mean noone is gonna play with them, far from that i'm pretty sure. Not everyone is a competitive player here, most on this game's content is casual intended anyway. And some people just play the way they want. You could even slack in WvW buses, doubt people would notice easily. And if they did you could still follow. And so on.

I also had a good time doing my own thing in pvp modes for a while, because when your build starts beating the meta, you suddenly beat several players at once who thought they had "the truth" and sometimes it's a funny thing to do, especially when you don't feel forced to play skill a or b like them and just use the ones you like. I remember some WvW players insulting me for doing unlikely things to beat them and these are my medals.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Armor :

I imagine the armor will be at least as difficult and/or expensive as gen 3 weapons are to get. So hardly "handing them to everyone". Obviously some players have more than average, but I doubt the average PvE player is currently swimming in gen 3 legendaries. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I imagine the armor will be at least as difficult and/or expensive as gen 3 weapons are to get. So hardly "handing them to everyone". Obviously some players have more than average, but I doubt the average PvE player is currently swimming in gen 3 legendaries. 🤷‍♀️

If new armor will be as difficult as gen3 leges than it really is handing it for almost free. I dunno where you can see difficulty in crafting gen3. Get materials from walking around the map, get some currency from metas/events you can basicly afk throu and if you are too lazy to even to that, you can just dump gold on tp and buy it off. Not even a single achivment included. 

Sooo, wow. So much difficulty. So much adversity.

Really hope they gonna add some difficult adversity to overcome to get it. Something similar to serpent ire meta or/and DE before nerfing or dunno. Something that will make this armor really worth it's legendary status unlike ones from competitive modes.

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

lol crafting gen3 legendaries is anything but difficult. If the new legendary armor are gone be like that, then it’s really low effort. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

lol crafting gen3 legendaries is anything but difficult. If the new legendary armor are gone be like that, then it’s really low effort. 

Ikr. Now you don't even need to have lodas of gold for gen 3 since A.S.S. price dropped from 8 to 3 gold, and is still dropping. Really hope they can do better with new armor set.

• Confused 2

By that logic, you can get WvW leg armor for free as well. So it would be in line with that anyways.

In any case, armor so far seems to be much cheaper per piece than weapons, which is balanced by the time (WvW, PvP) or effort (raids). We already know there's at least 2 collections involved with the new armor. So it will likely be somewhere in between. We will have to wait and see. But it will hardly be free to everyone either way. 
We're over a year in (to EoD) and I doubt most players have 6+gen 3s, which was my only point above.
Also...legendary armor is just a QoL upgrade and not some sort of status symbol (imo) so I don't put the same weight on its exclusivity, obviously. I think more players having reasons to do content is a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 7/2/2023 at 11:23 AM, Geralt.7519 said:

But my biggest grip with this change and the jade bot core in EoD is that they're adding new gear pieces at every xpac, I don't like this trend, I always loved GW2 for not having to grind new gear pieces at new xpac releases, I have enough of that in WoW already.

If they continue this trend with each coming expac, it will certainly backfire rather sooner than later.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

My short two cents on the whole thing...

Open World Legendary Armor: I mean open world is where this game shines, so I guess this is good for the game. Forums are going to be lit if a Jumping Puzzle is required that Mesmers cannot help with, or that you go on a world wide trek similar to griffon or current skyscale. I've started gen 1 legendaries, and even if you take the PvP/WvW parts out its still quite alot of materials to get without the TP.

Easier Skyscale: Good I guess, I mean current skyscale is fun with the world traveling, exploration part that I've done so far (without the wiki) even though circling above a zone finding a single missing item is frustrating but rewarding. I wonder when players will get it though, could be prologue, could be half way through with some reknown hearts, could be towards the end with story progression. It should be accepted by all considering the whole "Expansion must be self-contained" so the "buying a skyscale" discussion is irrelevant.

More Weapon Choices for All: Great, as long as they are all useful. Have to tell people to play what is fun and not what number crunchers suggest you use seems to be so hard when I swing by low level zones for anything. Should be the easiest argument on what to play but apparently not.

Runes and Relics: Undecided, it could be awful and it could be amazing. I do not judge things like this, but I trust the developers have considered everything when they shakeup the equipment screen and "horizontal progression" system they designed around. Hopefully this change is core and not SotO so core players don't suddenly miss out on something important.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

By that logic, you can get WvW leg armor for free as well. So it would be in line with that anyways.

Yes, you right. WvW armor is basicly armor for afking. But I do not understan how youcan use that as an argument. If something is badly implemented, that doesn't mean all future stuff must be implemented as badly to be in line with that. 

It's not about qol or starus anything really. LEGENDARY gear is a last tier of armor, something that is a main and sometimes final long term goal for many players in many games. Make it boring, tedious, cheap to get, and it won't be this long term goal. What will take it's place. Achivment hunts? Skins? Story every few months? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2