I am curious if we will see anything else in Cantha?

I know the dragon cycle is over and this dev team wants to move onto other stories, but I feel like there was still a lot of story left in Cantha. I mean there is still a lot of the map left beyond the five zones we have, and without the living world just feels kind of shallow in the long run.

I mean I would like to see Kirin Peak and Drowned Kaineng for instance. Gyala Delve felt like a very rushed effort to try and introduce the next story to come while book ending the arc of the previous expansion in a rather unsatisfying way if I were to be honest. Just feels like we barely scratched the surface of Cantha and we're already in Operation; That's That.

So much of the story and the history of Cantha that wasn't even touched upon, and lucky if it got a passing mention at all. So hoping the new expansion explores into this. I mean if the implication the Void is the Kryptis and they broke through in Cantha would hope it would still involve there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

I know the dragon cycle is over and this dev team wants to move onto other stories, but I feel like there was still a lot of story left in Cantha. I mean there is still a lot of the map left beyond the five zones we have, and without the living world just feels kind of shallow in the long run.

I mean I would like to see Kirin Peak and Drowned Kaineng for instance. Gyala Delve felt like a very rushed effort to try and introduce the next story to come while book ending the arc of the previous expansion in a rather unsatisfying way if I were to be honest. Just feels like we barely scratched the surface of Cantha and we're already in Operation; That's That.

So much of the story and the history of Cantha that wasn't even touched upon, and lucky if it got a passing mention at all. So hoping the new expansion explores into this. I mean if the implication the Void is the Kryptis and they broke through in Cantha would hope it would still involve there.

No the cryptoids seem to have broken through in kessex hills since that is were the wizard tower is.

Sad to say it got nothing to do with cantha.

We have a lot left in Tyria, too, and in the far corners of the map.  So Cantha isn't the only unfinished area.

Though their storytelling style is to move the biconics through a few high point plot beats of story that opens maps, and then freeze those maps in time.  I guess what maps and areas they develop will depend on what story they want to tell, as you noted, but they haven't shown a history of going in depth with all the implications of various plot threads (Malyck tree, E, etc).  There are five Cantha maps, they may be feeling been-there-done-that, time to hit the next few plot beats.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

We have a lot left in Tyria, too, and in the far corners of the map.  So Cantha isn't the only unfinished area.

Though their storytelling style is to move the biconics through a few high point plot beats of story that opens maps, and then freeze those maps in time.  I guess what maps and areas they develop will depend on what story they want to tell, as you noted, but they haven't shown a history of going in depth with all the implications of various plot threads (Malyck tree, E, etc).  There are five Cantha maps, they may be feeling been-there-done-that, time to hit the next few plot beats.

I would agree if we didn't get a huge amount of expansion to previous areas we've already been as well as other stuff in previous expansions. If you include the post expansion living world content, HoT got 10 zones in total, and PoF got 11. I don't think Icebrood counts towards PoF so considering that it's own thing. It all just felt so rushed in the end. The Delve doesn't even feel like it anymore than a glorified zone event that could have been in any of the other Cantha zones it adds so very little. Especially when compared to past living world stories.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

I would agree if we didn't get a huge amount of expansion to previous areas we've already been as well as other stuff in previous expansions. If you include the post expansion living world content, HoT got 10 zones in total, and PoF got 11. I don't think Icebrood counts towards PoF so considering that it's own thing. It all just felt so rushed in the end. The Delve doesn't even feel like it anymore than a glorified zone event that could have been in any of the other Cantha zones it adds so very little. Especially when compared to past living world stories.

Yea your about 1 year to late with this observation mate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea your about 1 year to late with this observation mate.

The delve just came out about a month or so ago. So not sure where you are going with this one. Snark doesn't really help you there.

Edited by Ravenwulfe.5360
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

Were all of those post HoT maps in the Heart of Maguuma region though? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, I feel similarly to OP. I am excited and curious about the new expansion, but I find it pretty depressing we seem to be leaving Cantha half-explored. There are a lot of characters I was really curious to explore more, and big world events we could’ve participated in like Empress Ihn meeting world leaders in mainland Tyria. I wanted a lot more Kuunavang, more lore and development for Tetra, and to explore a lot of areas on the map. Heck, there were a lot of little hints at things going on all over Cantha.

Not impossible we’ll return there one day in a new expansion, but the move does feel sudden and unceremonious - especially with Gyala episodes being incredibly tepid experiences for the most part.

We should see some minor Canthan tie-ins as the sky islands seem to have biomes reflecting various lands we’ve visited, but I doubt it will be anything substantial.

Edited by Zola.6197
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could very easily see future mini-xpacks set in Cantha.

EoD seemed to set up both a Deep Sea Monster plot, and a plot about the Purists and their attempts to manipulate the Risen into attacking New Kaineng, as plotlines for the future.

There isn't exactly a whole lot else on the big board since they are doing demons in this xpack, besides like a Lyssa xpack.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Thanks 1

I mean to see the cantha we have now, i would rather not. It has like 0 canthan fauna (aetherblades, void creatures, zhaitan undeads), the landscape are too saturated and just doesnt feel cantha, and some maps are even a hell to travel and fps drops.

WTB more gw1 like cantha.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1