Is Sirens Of Orr As Bad As I Think It Is?

Akisohida.8963

So I just unlocked this thinking it would work anywhere (Silly me) but according to the wiki, Chancel of Echoes only appear in Orr.

Orr is not end-game, and any new players will be unlocking this skill long after they leave Orr. And it costs a whopping 24 Mastery Points to unlock!

If I am not mistaken; That's 24 MP and 3,048,000 EXP to unlock a skill what will have absolutely 0 use?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

It's for a specific map in season 3, Siren's Landing which is located in Orr. It's not for the Orr maps that you leave behind after finishing the personal lv1-80 story.

There are a bunch of masteries that are only relevant for the maps in which you unlock them, or otherwise have only limited usefulness. Up to you if you level them and spend mastery points or save them for something else - if you play long enough, you'll be maxing out all masteries eventually anyways.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

It's for a specific map in season 3, Siren's Landing which is located in Orr. It's not for the Orr maps that you leave behind after finishing the personal lv1-80 story.

There are a bunch of masteries that are only relevant for the maps in which you unlock them, or otherwise have only limited usefulness. Up to you if you level them and spend mastery points or save them for something else - if you play long enough, you'll be maxing out all masteries eventually anyways.

6 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It's a Heart of Thorns/Season 3 Mastery.  Even though Siren's Landing is considered part of Orr, not sure it's as confusing as you make it out to be.

Yeah. I just don't get why the ultimate skill of that skill path would only have use in one area. It's so situational that it hurts; It randomly spawns the orbs, which give you a random skill, and it can only do so on one map that no one will spend time on anymore because it's not end game content.

I love GW2 but that just kind of limitation is just baffling.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Pretty much any map can be endgame content and has stuff worth farming, be it for value, to gear up, for fashion or for achievements. Really comes down to your definition of endgame. Siren's Landing offers similar incentives to spend time on it as any other max-level open world maps. I don't really understand why you have an issue with this particular mastery, there are others like it too that only benefit you in one specific map. Just don't unlock it if you think it isn't worth the effort? Other players may enjoy playing around with it on that map.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

So I just unlocked this thinking it would work anywhere (Silly me) but according to the wiki, Chancel of Echoes only appear in Orr.

Orr is not end-game, and any new players will be unlocking this skill long after they leave Orr. And it costs a whopping 24 Mastery Points to unlock!

If I am not mistaken; That's 24 MP and 3,048,000 EXP to unlock a skill what will have absolutely 0 use?

If you do story content related to that map and also work on getting those achievements which rewards you from replaying story, then you shouldn't have any issue to unlock that Mastery.

There are some other LW maps that also have special skills that you can buy that is not used that often, but even then it can be useful on other maps when you suddenly discover that those skills actually give you option to use them like in EoD meta where you glide and need to get from platform to platform and can use heal skill (while Gliding) instead of being dependent on flying mounts.
In the end it is a matter of what you find useful and you can always skip that and do it at a later time if you would need that Mastery for some other maps.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bloodstone_Fen
Scroll down to Gliding skills and you will see what kind of heal, damage and movement skills that you can purchase from UM vendor at Bloodstone Fen.  Being able to in air do damage to ground target is useful in EoD fight with Soo-Won. Wiki doesn't seem to mention that when you use Gliding (probably because most player will use mount when going from platform to platform, use updraft while Gliding or Ley-Line and have not spent time to purchase those skills in BF).

It is the same that you can manage without a lot of HoT Mastery in Dragonfall (LW related to PoF and Skyscale) where you have Bouncing Mushroom and Oakheart's Essence that can be used to get around (it is especially useful before you get Skyscale unlocked).

In HoT you also have a special poison (which isn't a condition you can remove with normal condition cleans - icon on weapon bar is purple for this type of special effect) that you might need unlock only to get access to a Hero Challenge (it can be channelled, but it is very hard without this special Mastery for poison) and there are other later maps where you also will have a hard time and die if you don't have this Mastery unlocked. It is not very common, so players that haven't invested time to unlock this Mastery will not even know why they died or how they could have survived (because other player rez them while doing meta there).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Yeah. I just don't get why the ultimate skill of that skill path would only have use in one area. It's so situational that it hurts; It randomly spawns the orbs, which give you a random skill, and it can only do so on one map that no one will spend time on anymore because it's not end game content.

I frequently see players in Siren's Landing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

Siren's landing is good for ascended backpacks. So yeah, people still go there. It is also one of the lw 'fun' maps. 

Fun? I found it utterly boring and was glad when I was done with all its achievements and collections. The last time I went there was for the Fishing achievements. (I also use the Siren's Landing travel scroll frequently as a shortcut to Orr for Dailies and such.)

• Confused 3

Getting ascended items with Orrian Pearls never really made sense to me because it's not abundant in a specific farmable location like Winterberries. However, Siren's Landing is required for the legendary trinket Aurora, so it's never dead. I always see people farming there. All that being said, yes Sirens of Orr is rather useless. It's absolutely the last thing you should unlock from HoT masteries if you ever unlock it at all.

• Like 3

it would be better if you could learn the songs in other maps, as well... (maybe even in some fractals with a new mastery?) but let's face it. it's a mastery that's only useful in one map in the entire game. If the ghosts of Orr would leave the shores of one zone of Orr, this could actually be something useful in the rest of Tyria. After all, 1) there are ghosts and dreagon minions that left their "starting areas", and 2) the powers of each dragon were spread through the leylines to other dragons. So why can't the songs of Orr also be spread around through the ghosts leaving Orr or the magic leylines? (i'm not looking for a response, if it's not logical within GW2 lore for that specifically, it's so easy for the team to make up some other way for it to work.)

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:15 AM, Akisohida.8963 said:

I think part of the problem is you're looking at it as the 'ultimate skill' when most masteries are designed to get less useful and more situational the further you get into each line so that players only need to unlock the first few tiers and the later ones are optional extras for those who want everything or have points to spare.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think part of the problem is you're looking at it as the 'ultimate skill' when most masteries are designed to get less useful and more situational the further you get into each line so that players only need to unlock the first few tiers and the later ones are optional extras for those who want everything or have points to spare.

That could very well be, yeah.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:15 PM, Akisohida.8963 said:

Yeah. I just don't get why the ultimate skill of that skill path would only have use in one area.

during initial release, season 3 added a new mastery in the same line with every episode. Tier 1 = Episode 1, Tier 2 = Episode 2, etc. etc.

Some of the masteries were used later in the season, some were not. Only one is a universal mastery that's useful outside of Season 3 (tier 4, spectral signet, the downed skill).

It wasn't designed as "the ultimate skill". It was designed as "the mastery for Season 3 Episode 6's release".

• Thanks 2

Does not cost 24. 7 only. The other ones are for the previous steps and you probably don't level that mastery line just to get the last step.
That line has a lot of map-specific stuff - related to season 3. So this is not just "only Orr". It is only in Siren's Landing. (Not in the other Orr maps from the core game.)

Since there are many mastery points to get (more than needed) - most people will eventually level everything. Just to max their mastery rank. The hardest/only decision is which thing to get first.

Only for certain types of masteries the points are pretty rare - where it can be a bit problematic. (Other than Icebrood Saga - not really the case for any other mastery section.)

Edit: And yeah ... xp-wise they cost the same. (According to wiki.) But the later ones cost more mastery points - they could have at least make them cost a similar amount. Since it really is not a "better" upgrade - as Danikat mentioned (which might have been a problem for you ... expecting something better with higher cost) - but just a thing for the next map in that season. (Last map.) Though before some power creep of the later expansion ... maybe the mastery was actually useful and used a lot back then? I don't know. Did not play at that time.

Edited by Luthan.5236

14 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Does not cost 24. 7 only. The other ones are for the previous steps and you probably don't level that mastery line just to get the last step.

That's why it costs 24; because you need to unlock them in order, meaning you need every step before it.

14 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Only for certain types of masteries the points are pretty rare - where it can be a bit problematic

Yeah. I've got every Central Tyria Map MP, and maxed out Pact Commander, but find myself at an impasse; The rest of the MP are behind 'Do achievements you may not be skilled enough to do'. So I only have Legendary Crafting and the other Path to 2 or 3.

Edited by Akisohida.8963

2 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Yeah. I've got every Central Tyria Map MP, and maxed out Pact Commander, but find myself at an impasse; The rest of the MP are behind 'Do achievements you may not be skilled enough to do'. So I only have Legendary Crafting and the other Path to 2 or 3.

Only 4 legendary weapons, namely Nevermore, HOPE, Astralaria and Chuka and Champawat need the final level of Legendary Crafting, all others can be crafted with 1 level less than maximum (don't question the logic, it is what it is). Unless you're dead set on acquiring one of those soon, simply leave that one for last.

That aside, maxing out core masteries is pretty easy as long as you're willing to go into T1 fractals. Many of the achievements are very easy, just LFG with the achievement title in T1 and you should have no problem finding allies. That and/or have access to living world season 2 as just completing the story gives you 8 mastery points.

Fractal mastery points roughly by order of ease:

- Carrier Cacophony (Underground Facility)
- Horrik's Horror (Captain Mai Trin)
- Holo Hornpipe (Aetherblade)
- Take a Bow (Cliffside)
- The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It (Volcanic)
- Hop, Skip and Jump (Uncategorized)

These first 6 don't even require a dedicated achievement group. The first two basically consist of just clearing the fractal normally. The third and fourth ask you to use an emote (/bow and /dance) in certain locations / moments (out of combat). The last two mostly just test your basic jumping puzzle skills, only you know if they're easy for you or not but if you replay fractals a couple times you are sure to get them.

- If Only We Had Marshmallows (Snowblind)
- Open Grave (Solid Ocean)
- Out of Cluck (Urban Battlegrounds)
- Fancy Footwork (Swampland)

These have some extra conditions that are mostly straightforward to achieve. The first one requires you to light all 5 fires at the midboss encounter which is very straightforward to achieve. The next two revolve around killing extra mobs in the encounter. The last one is a riddle and the best way to get it is to not play. The fractal needs 3 wisp runners in the pre-event part and the best you can do to get the achievement is to not be a wisp runner but instead just wait where you spawn. If you get a group specifically for this, usually it's best to just rotate the runners over multiple attempts.

The rest are more specific or require a bit more skill.

Edited by Endaris.1452
added fractal names to the achievements

The core ones are a bit more long-term. I played from release until end 2013. Came back in 2019 and could complete most pretty fast. Since I had map completion and a lot of related stuff already done. (Needed still some work. A lot are in dry top/silverwasts and the s2 story + some collections/fractals.)

At least the open world ones related to the season 2 stuff (silverwasts) should be possible to do. Fractals - I usually avoided such content - the fractal rush got me into t1 and t2 fractals. T1 really people are not epxecting anything of you. New player can go in there easily and with the lfg tool it should be even possible to find help.

Collections can somewhat take a bit more time. But I'd still recommend to slowly work on some. Best to also use the wiki or sites like maybe gw2efficiency. So you can check the remaining mastery points that are still obtainable. Then look for the ones that might be easiest for yourself ... and slowly trying to work on them. (I don't even think I needed fractals and the ones from there I got only after I already had maxed verything. But I did s2 story - there are a few hard things included I agree with that - myself every achievement.)