Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

The idea of having to grind for relics doesn't really bother me. I generally think decoupling the 6pc effect from the rest of the runeset is pretty neat and allows for more hyper-optimization, which I personally appreciate. I just hope some of the more interesting 6pc effects don't get nuked in the process. 

I do think it's a mistake for ANet to delay the legendary relic release as it does put those who have already acquired them in this awkward middleground. I think it would be wise of ANet to push that release to the expac release, but I imagine it just isn't ready. Hopefully the material and time cost of making the relics isn't too high. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Yeah honestly I wish they would have given us a more specific answer as to how much progress we'll receive for having all legendary runes unlocked. I wasn't planning on making my 7th legendary rune until they addressed legendary rebreathers or the removal of rebreathers in general since there's rarely any underwater content to gear up properly for those. They also should have just made it 6 runes instead of having all 7 to receive full progress or however much they were planning on giving us. 

Having said all that I would have been fine with the post if we were getting Legendary Relics on release since I can just suck it up and make one to fix my builds but the fact that we have to wait until 2024 is a bit absurd. It probably won't even be that difficult to get the relics we need and they are giving us a free core relic, but for people that have multiple characters and builds it's gonna be a bit of a pain to get those relics for each build and character again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

No, I'm pretty sure I'm not. I've already pre-ordered my expansion and won't let a minor thing like this ruin a game...

There's a lot on your list I disagree with, so I'd be grateful if you stopped writing as if we're all angry with Anet.

The "we" was not for you, but for all people who are angry now. If you felt conserned that is not my fault ! 🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tulki.1458 said:

Why can't you be specific about what the compensation is?

It's very simple. They don't have ANY clue about how the compensation will work for people who has 7 legendaries runes. They just buying time to figure it out, until next year.  

Edited by Khaos.6479
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

From what I understand, we will have certain achievement collections automatically unlocked for us, leaving us with only the last few steps of crafting the legendary relic -- much like when you buy a Gen1 precursor on the TP and craft a legendary from, skipping the whole legendary journey achievements.

They didn't say anything about leaving us with only the last few steps.. they said "significant progress" .. and significant is a very subjective term.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

(Tongue in cheek] I'm still waiting for ascended runes. How about ascended relics, too? Wouldn't *that* tank the exotic rune/relic economy? And add to the grind! 

See? I can panic, too! I can blow things out of proportion, too! 

Seriously though... the rune and relic change is for everyone. Even for free accounts that don't spend any real-life money. Everyone will gain the relic slot at level 60 (it's in the SotO blog) Everyone will still have access to 40 core relics. Everyone will still have runes in their armour. Everyone will have the choice whether to fill the slot or leave it empty.

Maybe you'll need the expansion for legendary relics, but I doubt it because relics will be a core feature. Just like runes are a core feature. But I don't know... there will be expansion relics only available to purchasers of the expansion. Since legendary stuff gives all available stats, i guess we'll have to wait and see how they implement it. I don't remember if expansion Stat prefixes are available in legendary armor / weapons without owning the expansion or if legendary runes offer expansion runes without owning the expansios.(I have all expansions and living world episodes, so I can't check it. I also won't waste resources on a legendary on my other account to test it. I'll have to rely on what other people say)

OW legendary armor will be locked behind SotO (requires collections from the new zones) but that won't be a problem for those who already have legendary armor from any of the other 3 acquisition methods, 2 of which don't require an expansion. (Raid armor requires HoT) So I don't think OW legendary armor can be used as a valid argument.

(Returning to tongue-in-cheek panic mode)The toxic elitists will still kick Everyone from the party or squad who don't run scholar relics. And there still won't be enough bacon!

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

Both Zephyrite and Wizard Tower sound INSANE compared to everything 6th slot boni are offering right now.

Zephyrite is a variation of the Durability 6 piece (3s Protection, 3s Regen, 1s Resilience on a 20s icd, linked to heal skills, which means it will fire significantly more often for most builds).  It might actually be a replacement for that, since current Zephyrite is superspeed on elite. 

Wizards Tower is likely using the new templating of a "on elite skill use" of which we have double digit numbers currently (some being significantly better than others)

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 1

I still say a good idea is to give everyone a Relic of the "Something Shapeshifter Something Magic Something Whatever RP Desired Here" that will mimic whatever effect or what it will become that the 6th rune would give you for having it on so it'd be like having the same thing as now but able to customize for better combinations by making better fitting relics. Makes people not cry over the rune bonus loss and still need to go get that carrot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, vares.8457 said:

Already bought it 

I did too, but I'm on the verge of regretting it.. I love the game, I play since GW1, so supporting them is something I did happily all these years.. but with Anet's current decisions about the future of the game.. is kinda making me feel less and less interested on the game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, Tulki.1458 said:

Why can't you be specific about what the compensation is?

Because they mistakenly think they have to reveal the recipes for the new legendary relics.

@Rubi Bayer.8493

When they could simply say something like: "owning a legendary rune will give you 15% progress toward a legendary relic through a special collection that rewards required materials for the recipe per tier. 7 legendary runes are required to complete the collection. There will be 7 tiers, 1 per legendary rune." Rewarding materials toward the recipe would mean the collection ( and the legendary runes) is not required to make the legendary relic, and that everyone who makes the legendary runes would get the same rewards. If Anet does it right, those materials could be funneled into other legendary recipes if the legendary relic was already made. That would be win win win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

So what are you going to play then? I'm just curious, cause this will happen.

I'm out for a week, when I come back I'll finish FFXVI, then I'll play Baldur's Gate 3. After that there's a lot of games I want to play: Armored Core VI on 25.08, Lies of P 19.09,  Cyberpunk 2077 DLC on 26.09, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 on 20.10 and Lords of the Fallen on 28.10. If I will have any down time between games I'll probably play something from my backlog (I've bought some games like for example Yakuza Games or Uncharted Games and still haven't touched them) or just play FFXIV. 

Edited by Raykkaiz.6173
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

And what is the most hilarious is this story ? They sacrified the season 6 of the living world and had one and half year to work on the extention (where we didn't have any content). To told us that we are going to wait 2024, so at least 5 months from now (but nothing tells us that it will be ready for January), to have the compensation ! 🤡🤡🤡

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

I did too, but I'm on the verge of regretting it.. I love the game, I play since GW1, so supporting them is something I did happily all these years.. but with Anet's current decisions about the future of the game.. is kinda making me feel less and less interested on the game.

Simple solution do not buy gems. That will starve anet more than your xpac purchase. I have refused to buy gems since a 2016.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

Wild speculation time! Here's my prediction:

The mystic forge recipe for the legendary relic will include two composite items. Each composite item will in turn have its own mystic forge recipe, which will require 4 intermediate items. Those intermediate items will be available from an NPC who requires some kind of material from the new expansion. But the NPC will also provide one free intermediate item for each unlocked legendary rune on your account. So having a full set of 7 legendary runes will get you 7/8 of the way through that part of the overall recipe.

Again this is purely speculation!!! But look me in the eye and tell me it doesn't sound exactly like the sort of thing you'd expect. It's clear that 7/7 legendary runes won't equate to 100% of a relic. But will it wind up being 7/8? Or will it be closer to 7/16?

BTW the naming of this feature is kinda bad. It's called a relic but you can craft it? A relic is something old, often a remnant from a deceased person's life. Oh well, like the rest of this situation, it's too late now...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, culturespy.1324 said:

BTW the naming of this feature is kinda bad. It's called a relic but you can craft it? A relic is something old, often a remnant from a deceased person's life. Oh well, like the rest of this situation, it's too late now...

Well "gizmo" was already taken, but pretty sure that "thingamajig" and "doodad" are still open.

• Haha 7

I have to say even as someone in the minority position of having 7 legendary runes but still looking forward to the content/not expecting compensation, this seems to indicate legendary runes were an afterthought in the development of relics. 

The lack of concrete communication makes me think this way - releasing some time in 2024 (as opposed to legendary armor which we know is planned for the second major release after expansion). No indication of what progress a legendary rune will give you. Yes this will come later but again seems as though legendary relics weren't planned out as well as the armor for example. 

I'm looking forward to the expansion either way but this doesn't seem to do much, at least for the next 6 months, to alleviate the concerns of those expecting compensation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luigiormario.7305 said:

The lack of concrete communication makes me think this way - releasing some time in 2024 (as opposed to legendary armor which we know is planned for the second major release after expansion). No indication of what progress a legendary rune will give you. Yes this will come later but again seems as though legendary relics weren't planned out as well as the armor for example. 

I'm looking forward to the expansion either way but this doesn't seem to do much, at least for the next 6 months, to alleviate the concerns of those expecting compensation.

responding to the bolded part... not to the poster: 

Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024

that indicates it will be either the second quarterly update (same as class weapons and OW legendary armor, mentioned in the blogs) estimated end of February, or third quarterly update estimated end of May. The first quarterly update after the lunch is estimated end of November 2023. (3 months after August 22nd) They posted  that there will be 3 quarterly updates on the SotO website, and said they plan on a yearly cycle of expansions, so expect next expansion about August 22, 2024. Granted, those estimates could be off, but at least it's a general timeframe with which to expect the changes. basically 6 or 9 months after SotO launches

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I like the system, it looks promising.

HOWEVER I am not thrilled about losing my legendary convenience and waiting up to a year to get it back.

Also, pleeeease tell me that relics won't be soulbound (see screenshot from blogpost) once a character equips them. At LEAST make them account bound, or even better, like runes (i..e always tradeable).

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/687f8Relic-EN.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Also: The removal of the 6th bonus actually devalues the 7th rune because that was the main purpose to making one for Aquabreather. There's even less reason to make a 7th Leggy Rune.

I hadn't actually thought about this. That's a really good point.

19 minutes ago, luigiormario.7305 said:

I have to say even as someone in the minority position of having 7 legendary runes but still looking forward to the content/not expecting compensation, this seems to indicate legendary runes were an afterthought in the development of relics. 

Agreed with all of this. Legendary runes were definitely an afterthought. I'm 100% convinced of that now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

that indicates it will be either the second quarterly update (same as class weapons and OW legendary armor, mentioned in the blogs) estimated end of February, or third quarterly update estimated end of May. The first quarterly update after the lunch is estimated end of November 2023. (3 months after August 22nd) They posted  that there will be 3 quarterly updates on the SotO website, and said they plan on a yearly cycle of expansions, so expect next expansion about August 22, 2024. Granted, those estimates could be off, but at least it's a general timeframe with which to expect the changes. basically 6 or 9 months after SotO launches

I'm aware of the quarterly release schedule, but if anything that gives them an easier job to say which quarterly update it is scheduled for. I never said we didn't have a timeframe, only nothing as concrete as we had been given with legendary armor as a side by side comparison. 

Edited by luigiormario.7305
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

So it's 6 to 9 months IF ANet can deliver the quarterly updates on time.
I know, it may sond like I'm dooming, but going from past experiences and promises, I believe these things when they happen. This is the first itteration of the new model. But there have been so many first itterations of models that got discontinued or changed along the way, that I am having a hard time simply trusting ANet to deliver on their vision. I call it a vision, because I truly believe, that the devs WANT to do it as advertised. It's just the past that makes me weary

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Anvar.5673 said:

The majority, judging by the reactions on the main topic, so go back to your hole. There is always that annoying guy with that basic "who's we" argument who feel personally concerned by everything and want to discretize another opinions by the most basic way. That not works, that's useless and that does not advance the debate. Please, find another thing or leave.

Dude, the forums are not "the majority." You're a small, loud minority.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8