Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

If there's no legendary relic on release and we're supposed to go around with exotic crap relics that soulbinds and serves no purpose what so ever for me.
Until 2024 when you finally give me the functions i used to have, and what i crafted the legendary runes for in the first place.
I just uninstall entirely or login daily spending 0 bucks on the game until legendary relic comes because there will be no reason for me to do the grind for some exotic crap relics for a feature I've already paid ones for to have in my legendary armory. 

There's not even a reason to do the story or play any of the end game content before that is fixed. I simply do some other hobby until that legendary relic is available and preferably handed to players with 6-7 legendary runes at no charge.  Because taking away functions from legendarys and handing em back with a clearly rushed expansion giving the backfire this keeps getting. Just to keep the player base somewhat occupied wasting their time for something as trivial as rune 6th bonuses is pathetic. Not even having the legendary relic available on launch is even more laughable.  I guess i do some other hobby until you solve this Anet. I do like motorcycles and fast cars. Maybe it's time for a new motorcycle and adult fun instead of kitten like this. 

Edited by Counter Terrorist.7421
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

At release SotO is going to take away more than it actually gives me.  A year later, if and only if I buy the expansion, I might be given the privilege of spending a bunch more gold and grinding who knows how long just to be back where I am today.  Sure, I'll get some nebulous "progress" towards restoring that removed part of my gameplay, but ANet is telling me I won't even get all of that unless I trust them enough to buy the 7th legendary rune that's already useless and slated to become even less useful in a month.

Glad to not be sitting on that fence any longer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, babana.7521 said:

BTW, Why are there 40 over different relics?  

Great question I think anet relized when they looked at the runes that more then schoolar and monk runes was used between the game modes and they took the best we had and added some new OP ones. Just to boost sales on Soto forgetting about legendary rune owners expecting to get something for having their runes on a launch for the first time ever since legendary runes were not around at PoF release and during EoD we got no runes and during SoTo we get useless runes. We did not even get to benefit ones before they took it away rofl.  But I clearly suspect they looked at runes noticed more then just 5 diffrent ones saw play and they decided we give exotic soulbind relics to everyone but just 3 and only core game ones.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JasonLucas.4981 said:

I'm not against this change since it will allow more flexibility in general, but I am annoyed that I will need to wait almost a year to get my legendary relic.

There is also something else that is bothering me, the blog post talks about "improving core systems and features of Guild Wars 2", but how exactly does this relics system will improve our inventory management? The equipped relic on the blog post appears to be soulbound which means that we will end up carrying a bunch of relics on our alts that will take even more inventory space.

The blog says "Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players."

I can only assume from the image and this statement that only the freebies each character gets will be soulbound and following relics gained from crafting/achievements/drops will be and remain unbound.

That's the way character items from levelling work now so makes sense if that's how relics will work too.

• Like 2

If there's no legendary relic on release and we're supposed to go around with exotic crap relics that soulbinds and serves no purpose what so ever for me.
Until 2024 when you finally give me the functions i used to have, and what i crafted the legendary runes for in the first place.
I just uninstall entirely or login daily spending 0 bucks on the game until legendary relic comes because there will be no reason for me to do the grind for some exotic crap relics for a feature I've already paid ones for to have in my legendary armory. 

There's not even a reason to do the story or play any of the end game content before that is fixed. I simply do some other hobby until that legendary relic is available and preferably handed to players with 6-7 legendary runes at no charge.  Because taking away functions from legendarys and handing em back with a clearly rushed expansion giving the backfire this keeps getting. Just to keep the player base somewhat occupied wasting their time for something as trivial as rune 6th bonuses is pathetic. Not even having the legendary relic available on launch is even more laughable.  I guess i do some other hobby until you solve this Anet. I do like motorcycles and fast cars. Maybe it's time for a new motorcycle and adult fun instead of kitten like this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

What's the point of relics if we don't get the full system on release? Why wait until 2024 just for legendary relics? I don't understand. You take something away that we spend our hard earned gold to craft a legendary runes, 6 or 7, and you aren't going to give it us on release? And I have too many characters that I'm only getting one relic that is 60+ level? I have tons of different builds and you're going to make ME FARM? Yeah, we can share the relics but the problem here, y'all taking a feature away for who knows when we get the legendary relic. I swear if we have to wait an entire year to get legendary relic.. I don't know what to say anymore.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

People who think this is just a legendary rune issue are missing the point. Let me give you a few reasons why this is a problem:

1. People who have legendary runes will be forced to grind for relics while they wait for a legendary relic that could take anything from 6 to 15 months to be released to get back to the same level of flexibility that they before the expansion. There is no indication of what "substantial" means so they have no idea what will be involved. More importantly, it's extremely likely that the legendary relic will be gated behind the new expansion so, in order to get back to the same flexibility that they had before, they will need to buy the expansion. Previous expansions added new stat combinations but a person with a legendary who doesn't own those expansions will still be able to retain their flexibility with the previous stat combinations.
  2. This sets a precedent. What is next? Do they change off hand weapons to have different skills and then create a new set of off hand legendary/ascended axes and start forcing people who have built the existing ones to go and make a new one to get back to where they were before? Maybe they split off the underwater skimmer into a new mount and force people to buy the expansion to get that mount. Why not make a bunch of map changes and then lock down half of Tyria behind a new expansion.
  3. Relics are artificial grind. Expect to be forced to do content that you don't like just to get some specific stat combination. So, as an example, a WvW player might need to do a new strike to get a specific relic and a raider might need to spend a fair chunk of time in WvW or PVP to get a different relic. This applies to regular players as well as those with legendaries but it's more glaring with legendaries because people who previously would have had all new stat selections available at the launch of the expansion, will now need to grind to get them for anything up to 15 months before they have that flexibility again. What is to stop a/net from doing the same thing with future expansions? The new "relic bonuses" will only be available 15 months after launch to legendary owners.

I worked very hard to get all legendary armor, runes, sigils, and weapons so that I never have to do that sort of grind again. It lets me focus on things that I enjoy in the game. Doing Vision, Aurora, multiple map completions, and a PVP legendary armor set were anything but fun but I did them, because I knew that it would be a once off thing. Get them out of the way and reap the benefits going forward. Now I know that isn't the case. What is going to change next?

Conceptually I like the idea of the relic. I also have no issues doing some grind to create a new legendary relic. I have an issue is the forced artificial grind that everyone will have to put up with for between 6 and 15 months while waiting for that legendary relic. I have an issue with removing features from existing stuff that people have worked a long time to achieve. And I have an issue with the legendary relic not being available at launch. An easy solution would be to create a vendor to get people unsalvageable account bount relics to cover all of the combinations for those who have 6 or 7 runes but they aren't going that route which means that the relic grind is intended to be "content". That's not my content. I enjoy spending time in WvW and jumping into the odd raid or fractal. I do the story when I feel like it (often way after release), and go and run a few metas when I decide that is something that I want to do. Doing a bunch of chores to get something you need in order to play what you really want isn't why I play GW2. A game that is supposed to respect your time and let you play the way that you want to.

I regret buying pre-release versions of Ultimate for myself and my two kids and this decision is making me doubtful that I will ever do that again if I even buy any more expansions.

Edited by Graymatter.4723
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, oCynder.5136 said:

What's the point of relics if we don't get the full system on release? Why wait until 2024 just for legendary relics? I don't understand. You take something away that we spend our hard earned gold to craft a legendary runes, 6 or 7, and you aren't going to give it us on release? And I have too many characters that I'm only getting one relic that is 60+ level? I have tons of different builds and you're going to make ME FARM? Yeah, we can share the relics but the problem here, y'all taking a feature away for who knows when we get the legendary relic. I swear if we have to wait an entire year to get legendary relic.. I don't know what to say anymore.

Because the grind for the new relics is their idea of "content".

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Graymatter.4723 said:

Because the grind for the new relics is their idea of "content".

This.

The whole point of the system seems to be padding the content of the expac because so much of it is coming in later launches. Well, that and selling the same functionality to people twice.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I insta pre-ordered the "Ultimate" version of the expansion before read the relic/rune change. I never pre-order anything, but I did because I trusted ANET. Reading their response just made me lose interest in play the game because it clearly looks like some sort of damage control. And just to clarify, the idea of move rune effects into another piece of gear is not inherently bad, but the way ANET did it and like others pointed out, makes a dangerous precedent to the game.

Can't say GW2 is the MMO that respect my time. Not anymore.

Edited by SmokingLord.6108
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Graymatter.4723 said:

People who think this is just a legendary rune issue are missing the point. Let me give you a few reasons why this is a problem:

1. People who have legendary runes will be forced to grind for relics while they wait for a legendary relic that could take anything from 6 to 15 months to be released to get back to the same level of flexibility that they before the expansion. There is no indication of what "substantial" means so they have no idea what will be involved. More importantly, it's extremely likely that the legendary relic will be gated behind the new expansion so, in order to get back to the same flexibility that they had before, they will need to buy the expansion. Previous expansions added new stat combinations but a person with a legendary who doesn't own those expansions will still be able to retain their flexibility with the previous stat combinations.
  2. This sets a precedent. What is next? Do they change off hand weapons to have different skills and then create a new set of off hand legendary/ascended axes and start forcing people who have built the existing ones to go and make a new one to get back to where they were before? Maybe they split off some the underwater skimmer into a new mount and force people to buy the expansion to get that mount. Why not make a bunch of map changes and then lock down half of Tyria behind a new expansion.
  3. Relics are artificial grind. Expect to be forced to do content that you don't like just to get some specific stat combination. So, as an example, a WvW player might need to do a new strike to get a specific relic and a raider might need to spend a fair chunk of time in WvW or PVP to get a different relic. This applies to regular players as well as those with legendaries but it's more glaring with legendaries because people who previously would have had all new stat selections available at the launch of the expansion, will now need to grind to get them for anything up to 15 months before they have that flexibility again. What is to stop a/net from doing the same thing with future expansions? The new "relic bonuses" will only be available 15 months after launch to legendary owners.

I worked very hard to get all legendary armor, runes, sigils, and weapons so that I never have to do that sort of grind again. It lets me focus on things that I enjoy in the game. Doing Vision, Aurora, multiple map completions, and a PVP legendary armor set were anything but fun but I did them, because I knew that it would be a once off thing. Get them out of the way and reap the benefits going forward. Now I know that isn't the case. What is going to change next?

Conceptually I like the idea of the relic. I also have no issues doing some grind to create a new legendary relic. I have an issue is the forced artificial grind that everyone will have to put up with for between 6 and 15 months while waiting for that legendary relic. I have an issue with removing features from existing stuff that people have worked a long time to achieve. And I have an issue with the legendary relic not being available at launch. An easy solution would be to create a vendor to get people unsalvageable account bount relics to cover all of the combinations for those who have 6 or 7 runes but they aren't going that route which means that the relic grind is intended to be "content". That's not my content. I enjoy spending time in WvW and jumping into the odd raid or fractal. I do the story when I feel like it (often way after release), and go and run a few metas when I decide that is something that I want to do. Doing a bunch of chores to get something you need in order to play what you really want isn't why I play GW2. A game that is supposed to respect your time and let you play the way that you want to.

I regret buying pre-release versions of Ultimate for myself and my two kids and this decision is making me doubtful that I will ever do that again if I even buy any more expansions.

If someone only WvWs they will just buy a relic from a crafter and go back to WvWing

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

If someone only WvWs they will just buy a relic from a crafter and go back to WvWing

From the blog - "Expansion relics can be obtained through collections, achievements, or story progression."

So, WvW players will have to do other stuff for some relics.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Most players already know that ANET never considered Legendary Relic, and they were never developed.

As always, ANET does not admit to their mistakes.
Actually, it's not a mistake, it's a lack of ability and naive stubbornness.

It's just disgusting to wrap it up with plausible and ambiguous phrases while pretending that you've already prepared well.

Users with legendary runes could experiment and test by changing the rune settings at any time.

What can you do right now with only 3 relics?
(If the relic has changed a lot from the existing 6th rune set effect, more diverse tests are needed.)

For at least half a year to a year, users with legendary runes lost their efforts for convenience without any compensation.

Seriously, I would recommend ANET for a separate solution.

If you can't implement the legendary relic right away, please mail the 'Infinite Relic Free Purchase Box' to existing users who have more than 6 legendary runes.
(Let's think of a kind of portable merchant)

When using the purchase box, a mini-shop opens, and all Core Relics can be created and taken out for free, without any quantity restrictions.
Of course, that relics must be non-tradable and non-salvage.
40 Core Relics will be available right after release.
In the purchase box, 12 new expansion relics start out locked, but after achievements or whatever, you can take them out without limit.

At least the existing 6 legendary rune holders will be able to survive without investing additional gold and time in this way until the legendary relic comes out.

Edited by shinvold.3618
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Frankly, if the bonus to legendary relic is gained by making a legendary rune even post expansion launch, that's a nice thing. Instead of a "Make it now or miss out."

I can see why it wouldnt be.

If you make them after SotO, you arent losing out in terms of them taking away your 6piece and reselling it to you, because you wouldnt have had that 6piece on it when you made it. 

I'm sad about this and it is kind of a joke.
The only thing I think is reasonable would be to make a legendary relic AT LAUNCH and give it to everyone that made at least 6 legendary runes. You can restrict the choices in the drop down menu of it, so we don't get access to unreleased relics yet, of course. But letting us wait, any amount of time, and making us lose our QoL is bad.

I will just ignore relics and slot whatever is given to me and wait until next year then. I don't like being punished for putting effort, time and gold into this game. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Would love to see some examples breaking down how some runes are being split with the changes. I'm curious if the X stat to Y stat 6th rune effect, Berserker rune effect and Divinity rune effects will be staying with the runes or becoming stat stick relics.

Looking forward to seeing Scourge running around with a Ghastly Breach that pulls people into it too. That'll be goofy.

• Haha 1

So we'll have to wait a year to regain our set bonus quality of life and flood our inventories with relics. Which we'll have to farm for first to regain our lost power. 7 legendary runes better mean we get direct access to the relic without a material or time sink.

This is a great build feature. Though a lot of rune set sixth bonus was just the bonus without providing a stat as well. I'm interested in seeing if all those empty spaces will be 125 to a relevant stat and not something terrible.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, illuminati.8453 said:

This whole expansion seems hurried in order to generate revenue.  So many future content promises, like with the legendary relic.  Something seems incredibly off about this new ANet direction.

The dawning of a new age of gaming: Pre-ordering for early access.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1