Updraft and Leyline break Griffon Flight [Merged]

We posted several threads before release. I am just extremely dissapointed. 

On Skyscale it is handy. Plus first time you get the tip that you can use dash to get out of the leyline.

Griffon? nothing works to escape. You are there as a passenger and all momentum you have build up is gone at the end of it.

It is painfully clear thar the Developers do not know how the Griffon works. 

• Like 23
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Leyline mastery can apply only to Skyscale and noone will miss it. Updraft mastery is one of best features in the game now. Updrafts should be places on all maps so you can just travel quickly. Like add updraft next to each map entrance/exit. Also I would like to create updrafts by being in proximity and not by pressing interaction key.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Why am I not suprised, I hate the leyline mastery on Griffon.

You are pulled, no matter what... no matter angle you hit it, no matter speed you hit it... ley lines now are litterly roadblocks for fun flight paths.

They did not listen.

I am not happy. Some maps are now no longer fun on a Griffon.

Please ArenaNet, let the interaction with leyline and/or updrafts be OPTIONAL with an action key... "press to ride the line" 

But your obsession of automation DOWNGRADED the flying experience. 

I want to ride my Griffon, not be taken on a ride.

Some of the games best content is watching those Griffon riders pull off amazing stunts to show off the games world. 

Imagine taking that away from GW2 or hindering it in some way 😞 Really hope they fix this at least, not that they listen to feedback. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah today was running with a Squad to do Rifts.

It is super frustrating, you try to catch up on griffon, get a little bit too close to a ley line and are basically pulled without ANY way to escape EXCEPT dismount.

The problem:

1. Griffon does not NEED ley line, it is fast on it's own
2. When you are grabbed by ley line, it has NO escape feature as Skyscale does
3. You loose ALL your build up momentum, so after ley line, you no longer can pull up

Griffon is DESIGNED as a momentum based mount, and now you introduce an mechanic that DESTROYS the momentum. If I was able to pull UP OUT of a leyline, it would not be a too big deal, but right now: YOU ARE TRAPPED!! UTTERLY TRAPPED... The fact Dismount is the ONLY escape is a MASSIVE design failure. I would even consider it a SHOW STOPPER for the Griffon.

Please ArenaNet, let me disable ley line for my Griffon. The joy of flying is gone in maps with ley lines.

Utterly gone.

I actually regret training this mastery. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Dismount isn't the only way to 'escape' the ley-line pull - you can swoop down to get out, fly forward a bit, then regain most of your height again. Bit annoying but not as bad as being pulled along or having to dismount.

Both the leyline and updraft masteries feel like they've been designed for skyscale while overlooking how they interact with griffon. Updrafts too are hard to use with griffon cause you often fly at a speed that goes right through an updraft without being able to gain much height from it. Slowing down enough to really ride the updraft to the top seems nearly impossible, as even at default flapping speed griffon still moves forward and can't fully remain within the updraft without moving in tight circles.

Hope anet takes another look at those masteries and how they affect Griffon. Doesn't seem right that it gets neglected just because its the older mount.

• Like 13

I do a lot of griffon flying. You can break free of/ignore updrafts and leylines if you perform a dive after hitting one/before you hit one. So long as you familiarise yourself with where the ley lines and updrafts are, they are not a problem for fancy flying/stunts at all. 🙂

Edited to add: Even when you pass through an updraft at full speed on griffon there's a benefit to it, due to a supercharged "Bond of Vigor" type effect you get once you have the final mastery unlocked (Rising Spirits) which can allow the griffon to flap up to NINE times in a row afterwards. If you do want to go up higher, you just pull up a little before the updraft and go forward into it once you're at the top of your climb (which like diving causes you to ignore the updraft, hence pull up before it).

I've been having an absolure ball with the updrafts/leylines doing random fancy stuff as I go about exploring. Gonna have to boot-up my OBS soon and do some recording 😄

Edited by Alaia Skyhawk.5064
added info
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I don't know how you do that. At full speed grabbed by a ley line, instantly push Dive... Nothing happens... still pulling me.

The problem is that I am not against obstacles, but sometimes, specially in the newer maps, environmental changes make the ley lines hardly visible. You are trying to get to an event fast and suddenly are pulled the opposite direction instantly. Panic dive... pull up... wingflap... dive and wingflap, Nothing makes me escape the ley line.

I tested it over an over, once I am pulled, I am basically done for, and the ONLY option I have is dismount and drop/fall below it.

I hate it, with a passion. I missed events due to this "feature" at this stage, considering all tips you guys give, do not work for me... I consider it bugged.

I deeply regret training this mastery.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 8/24/2023 at 2:43 AM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Why am I not suprised, I hate the leyline mastery on Griffon.

You are pulled, no matter what... no matter angle you hit it, no matter speed you hit it... ley lines now are litterly roadblocks for fun flight paths.

They did not listen.

I am not happy. Some maps are now no longer fun on a Griffon.

Please ArenaNet, let the interaction with leyline and/or updrafts be OPTIONAL with an action key... "press to ride the line" 

But your obsession of automation DOWNGRADED the flying experience. 

I want to ride my Griffon, not be taken on a ride.

I would agree totally, trying to miss them while traversing and hoping you do not loss altitude. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

I think that's one of the issues.
I think the masteries needs a 2nd look from Anet. Something I've noticed on skyscale, it's not that easy to break from the leyline once it catches you sometimes. Might be something to consider as well.

I second this. I am happy I haven't trained it. But it render one Wizard's vault impossible to get, unless I take the mastery that will kill my most fun in the game that is Griffon flight.

• Like 4

The main pull of the expansion to me was the expanded flying on Griffon, and having read about the ley line bs on here and reddit it does make it hard to want to get the masteries to begin with. Weird to make one of your best, most unique features WORSE on expansion launch.

• Like 1

Yeah here is the problem: Ley Lines are opague... The pull is automatic and mandatory. Unless you learn exactly where they all are, you see them too late when flying max speed.

Currently running SotO on my EU account, and after my painful experiences with the BREAKING of Griffon Stunt Flying, I was considering to not train it on this account.

But... then you have to deal with another problem:

"You have found a ley line" for the rest of your gw2 gaming life.

Seriously, this is a massive mistake. If you would introduce a checkmark tomorrow to disable ley line for griffons, I would check it INSTANLY and NEVER touch the darn thing ever again.

• Like 12

On 8/24/2023 at 8:46 AM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

On Skyscale it is handy. Plus first time you get the tip that you can use dash to get out of the leyline.

Not so much, even on Skyscale. Ley line mastery is my least favorite. 

In order to free yourself from the leyline with the skyscale dash you have to try to fly out of the leyline at a 90 degree angle if possible. If the angle is too flat, because the leylines aren't always straight and the edges aren't always clearly visible, you often won't get free and will be pulled further. And in the time it took to turn the Skyscale out of the ley-line direction, you've already been pulled too far. It's particularly stupid when the ley-line direction is opposite to your own flight direction. That's why I often fly detours just to stay away from ley-lines.

If you use gliding from HoT, the leylines are great, they speed up map travel and you can get out of it with the space button without delay, but I don't like them with the skyscale. Updrafts, on the other hand, are quite handy on skyscale.

• Like 9

On 8/26/2023 at 5:35 PM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

I tested it over an over, once I am pulled, I am basically done for, and the ONLY option I have is dismount and drop/fall below it.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Something I've noticed on skyscale, it's not that easy to break from the leyline once it catches you sometimes.

So there's no player option at all? As soon as you touch it you're going wherever it takes you, without any kind of "Press [F] to ride the line" confirmation? That's really bad design to basically just get snatched out of the sky like that. Especially if you didn't see it or otherwise touched it accidentally.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:
On 8/27/2023 at 6:08 PM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Something I've noticed on skyscale, it's not that easy to break from the leyline once it catches you sometimes.

So there's no player option at all? As soon as you touch it you're going wherever it takes you, without any kind of "Press [F] to ride the line" confirmation?

Correct. No such interaction with skyscale. As another possibility, it would also be OK if  skyscale-dash would disable the ley-line pull for a 1-2 seconds, it would be enough to break free.

4 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

That's really bad design to basically just get snatched out of the sky like that. Especially if you didn't see it or otherwise touched it accidentally.

I agree. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

"You have found a ley line" for the rest of your gw2 gaming life.

this.  I didnt, and wont be getting the expac, so i have to live with this forever.  well, not much longer really, havent really been playing much lately, not thrilled with a lot of the new features

• Like 5

On 8/26/2023 at 6:00 AM, Chyro.1462 said:

Dismount isn't the only way to 'escape' the ley-line pull - you can swoop down to get out, fly forward a bit, then regain most of your height again. Bit annoying but not as bad as being pulled along or having to dismount.

Both the leyline and updraft masteries feel like they've been designed for skyscale while overlooking how they interact with griffon. Updrafts too are hard to use with griffon cause you often fly at a speed that goes right through an updraft without being able to gain much height from it. Slowing down enough to really ride the updraft to the top seems nearly impossible, as even at default flapping speed griffon still moves forward and can't fully remain within the updraft without moving in tight circles.

Hope anet takes another look at those masteries and how they affect Griffon. Doesn't seem right that it gets neglected just because its the older mount.

Can you not use Gliding (to get higher up in air) in an Updraft and then mount Griffon again with now more height to get momentum?