[Feedback] Kryptis Skyscale Skin - A New Look - P.S. Not Worth 300g [Merged]

Or people can just craft the ascended materials for a fraction of the cost to buy off the TP. Impatient players should expect to almost always pay a premium to acquire something faster. The rest didn’t feel all that bad.

The worm thing was just done by doing the WB three times although fixing the bug would certainly help for those that didn’t want to wait.

The chests felt a little slower but then I was just opening smalls. I’m not sure how much the larges give but but progress felt reasonable nonetheless. 

Edited by enigmatic.3576

I'm a bit confused here but aren't ecto's farmable and I thought deldrimor ingot were craftable? I just started playing again recently and I know lots of stuff changed since HoT but I thought all this stuff was crafting/gathered stuff? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qys.5937 said:

I'm a bit confused here but aren't ecto's farmable and I thought deldrimor ingot were craftable? I just started playing again recently and I know lots of stuff changed since HoT but I thought all this stuff was crafting/gathered stuff? 

They are. It’s just the OP trying to inflate the cost, by using just the most expensive method, so they have something to complain about. 

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Sometimes I can't wrap my head around how people can think 265g is alot of money. 

But I suppose for a new player thats alot because they don't know how to make gold yet. 

The month before SotO, I made over 500g just by casually playing around. Didn't even farm or anything. And I didn't even cash in on everything I could. 

I know the feeling, I've bought all my gold via gems, and people are always saying "I can't spend $500 a month on a game like that" and I'm just like...is $500 considered a lot?? That's crazy, it doesn't really seem like a large amount you know? So I sympathize with you, I guess you and I just have it like that brother!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 10

That is a lot of gold. I'm not sitting on enough free time to marry a video game. I miss how gw1 was said to be a game that you wouldn't have to marry. I think jeff strain said that? Those were the days.

I guess it was done on purpose so anyone would give up and whip out their credit card instead to just buy a skin.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I make I thiiiiink 30+ gold (depending on market) about every 10 days just by looting five jade runestone boxes with characters I parked at those boxes. 265g or even saving materials that you get from just playing the game even casually is practically nothing after this long. Plus the free 90g from Wizard's Vault + the heavy bags + mystic coins that you can get within 2 weeks of dailies/weeklies that you can literally turn into gold by selling them. Why would you swipe your credit card for it or even marry the game when you can do things over time? If the skin isn't a limited time item, why do you need it "now"? 😐 Y'all are wild.

Don't get the griffon, I guess, because it's a mandatory 250g.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Krexen.9057 said:

The griffon is an entire mount, not a simple skin.

Don't get the warclaw WvW skin, then, I guess. That's a base 200g to unlock, and there's no way around it by having mats already saved up. Or, I guess, don't exchange gold->gems for mount skins the way we've had to for years.

Skins in this game are expensive, and I think this is some of the first (outside of the warclaw skin) mount skins we've had that you haven't had to use the gemstore for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

So in total, like 140 G + 110 G + 15 G ---> 265 Gold  ---> ~700 Gems for Gold to gems conversion currently. Or like 1100 gems if the opposite way. 

Not checking on the math here, I'll just assume you're right. 1100 gems is cheaper than other exclusive mount skins. Usually those cost 2000 or 1600 gems, although the Kriptis Scyscale would probably fall under the 1600 category since it's lacking some flashyness. So it's still cheaper than gemshop skins.

Also: It's optional. You don't need to get it. And while I understand the frustration, I really do, when I saw the amount of essences needed or stuff like the wurmmeat or the fragments, I put that collection down quite a few places on my priority list. It still is just a skin. It's a cosmetic item which changes nothing about the gameplay. Everything offered in the expansion is perfectly doable without this skin.

Alsoalso: They never said it would be easy to get. Just because something is avilable, doesn't mean that it's conveniently affordable or that anyone is entitled to it.

Alsoalsoalso: It's overall a good thing that ANet puts some skins into the game, earnable through in-game methods outside of gold2gems. It could be a bit cheaper or the conllection could include a bit less tedium, sure. Maybe next time.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Sometimes I can't wrap my head around how people can think 265g is alot of money. 

But I suppose for a new player thats alot because they don't know how to make gold yet. 

The month before SotO, I made over 500g just by casually playing around. Didn't even farm or anything. And I didn't even cash in on everything I could. 

I think part of it is that the vast majority of the gold you make in GW2 is in tradeable materials, rather than raw gold. A lot of new players see that a particular farm is say 25g/hour, they do the farm for an hour, and get confused that the number in their wallet didn't go up.

And yeah, when you're new to the game anything costing triple digits seems unattainable. I remember thinking the 250g for the Griffon was an impossible grind because I had been playing for less than a month and rarely had more than 10g in my wallet at any time and didn't even have my first Ascended weapon yet. Now only a year later I have all mounts, full Legendary Armor and Trinkets, over 500g in my wallet, and another 1,500g worth in my material storage. A 265g skin seems reasonable to me NOW, but 11 months ago would be something I would have seen as something exclusively for whales.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

What would the total cost be if players bought the materials to craft ascended materials instead?  How about if they farmed the materials themselves?  Maybe those are questions that the OP should look into. 

Around 178g for the total, and that's assuming you buy the material directly and without buy order, you can save up around 6g with buy order. 

So yeah, price were kinda inflated by the OP by direct buying every crafted materials. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That does not seeem too expensive. Sure: A big thing for new players. But they probably are not the main target audience of this. (For them getting the skyscale in the first place is important. And the skin achievement is not in the seasonal special tasks for the wizards vault. Only the other step that unlocks skyscale - for the players that do not have it yet.) If we look at wintersday and infusion stuff - there is a ton more pricey stuff out there and considering that they have sold single skins for 2000+ gems at the store that bit of gold listed here is not unreasonable. I might consider getting it slowly - accumulating a bit of stuff.

The lenghty step (Osmogrifier) also is not a big deal. Meant to be progressed ... slowly.

I've seen a few people saying 'just farm and craft your own materials'.

Don't forget that even when you've acquired your own materials, you're still losing the gold you could have made by selling those materials on the trading post. Which is, admittedly, less than if you bought on the trading post due to listing and sale fees, but that's only 30%... which could well be eroded if the player in question is in the habit of using buy and sell orders rather than taking any instant trades.

• Confused 3

On 8/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The best part is that 265g is like 700 gems. New Skyscale skins are ~2k gems.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I've seen a few people saying 'just farm and craft your own materials'.

Don't forget that even when you've acquired your own materials, you're still losing the gold you could have made by selling those materials on the trading post. Which is, admittedly, less than if you bought on the trading post due to listing and sale fees, but that's only 30%... which could well be eroded if the player in question is in the habit of using buy and sell orders rather than taking any instant trades.

Total TP fees (listing+sale together) are 15%, iirc.

Everything involves opportunity cost. If you want the liquid gold but not the skin, you can sell your mats for gold and use the gold elsewhere (I do that with materials I never use). If you want the skin and have the mats, well, now you don't have to spend any/as much gold and can just use what you have, but you lose out on the potential gold you could have made selling the mats. If you want the skin and DON'T have the mats but have the liquid gold, you're going to have to spend the gold on the mats to get the skin, and so you lose gold.

It's like, you can craft a legendary (for yourself, accountbound), but you will lose out on the gold you could have gotten with the materials you'd used had you sold them rather than building the legendary. You have to decide if the legendary is worth more to you than the liquid gold you could get out of the materials. There's also you can craft a legendary but then have to decide if you want to keep it for yourself and lose out on the gold you could make from the sale but have the legendary for yourself, or sell the legendary and get the gold but not have the legendary for yourself.

And then of course you have the whole volatility of prices of materials from any given moment (like ectos going from 12s each back up to 19-20s each, 💸💰), and now the opportunity cost in selling the mats vs crafting the item/getting the skin for yourself changes, and maybe the value of the item is now less than the cost of the materials (looking at you, gen1 precursor collections), and so on...

Isn't it great? 😧

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dislike that they siphon-off as much gold to unlock a skin (as well as do the tedious collections) when there are two actual mounts which cost around the same.  I don't mind paying for utility/QoL as much as putting the same investment into a skin. They tested the waters with the BL lege weapon set by releasing the variants and seemingly that was a good enough excuse to repeat it with the skyscale skin. Also, i have not seen the new skin in-game yet...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

I dislike that they siphon-off as much gold to unlock a skin (as well as do the tedious collections) when there are two actual mounts which cost around the same.  I don't mind paying for utility/QoL as much as putting the same investment into a skin. They tested the waters with the BL lege weapon set by releasing the variants and seemingly that was a good enough excuse to repeat it with the skyscale skin. Also, i have not seen the new skin in-game yet...

I did see the skin yesterday, briefly, the person flew off before I could get a good look.  I'm closing in on finishing A New Friend (the essences hurt to spend on it when I know I need them for other things that will lead to legendary armor) and then will have to decide if the effort and cost is worth it for the skin.  Threads like this help me weigh that decision, though I think I'm tilting towards going for the skin.  Mostly I resent using up massive amounts of mats that I will need for other more utility things.  I've paused working on Aurene legendaries since there is overlap in mats with the armor, and haven't gotten a legendary starter kit for the same reason (though I suppose pieces of that could be stashed for later use or I could go ahead and get another legendary so I can dual wield something).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Oh hey, I saw this on Reddit and it's what made me not bother spending wasting money on completing the Treats/Saddle collection, lol. If that's all they have to offer people who've already completed Skyscale in PoF then why bother.

Honestly, you can farm the materials needed and would still come out ahead of the total time it would have taken had you tried to unlock it the original way. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Krexen.9057 said:

Personally, I couldn't care less about the price. I think the skin is meh for what the requirements are.

true i have taken a good look and why they insisted on making the head like a regular skyscale i hate that head and the chest. The wings are lovely though.

Edited by Tiviana.2650
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1