[Feedback] Legendary Obsidian Armor

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

No idea where you're getting that you can get up to 51 per rift, most I've seen is like 40  total that one time, with the vast majority being around 33 or so.

He explained it in his post by listing ranges of essence drops, including what you get for the pre-event. You can check the wiki for the numbers.

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

Also, luring the boss event gives T1 essences regardless of tier lured, so you are only getting, by your numbers, 25-44 per T3 rift.

Yup, for t3 it's up to 44.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

He explained it in his post by listing ranges of essence drops, including what you get for the pre-event. You can check the wiki for the numbers.

Yup, for t3 it's up to 44.

I see, yes it's up to 51 if you're lucky but honestly you will almost never get 51, you will average out closer to about 40 each time. But this is ONLY for T1. T2 and T3 are max 44.

So I poked my head back in here to see if it's worth coming back yet (I've still not played SotO despite pre-ordering it), only to find that ANet have made the new "Open World" legendary armour a nightmarish grind to acquire,  Relics are everything I feared they would be and the legendary versions are probably also going to require a hellish grind, even if you already had 7 legendary runes.

Lol, yeah, not coming back to play this game, not while so many others are keeping me entertained without feeling like they're exploiting me.

Maybe if ANet finally get around to respecting their players instead of treating them like addicts, maybe then I'll come back and play.
There's a lot to like in GW2. Shame it's increasingly obscured by sleazy gameplay design.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

So I poked my head back in here to see if it's worth coming back yet (I've still not played SotO despite pre-ordering it), only to find that ANet have made the new "Open World" legendary armour a nightmarish grind to acquire,  Relics are everything I feared they would be and the legendary versions are probably also going to require a hellish grind, even if you already had 7 legendary runes.

Lol, yeah, not coming back to play this game, not while so many others are keeping me entertained without feeling like they're exploiting me.

Maybe if ANet finally get around to respecting their players instead of treating them like addicts, maybe then I'll come back and play.
There's a lot to like in GW2. Shame it's increasingly obscured by sleazy gameplay design.

Welcome to "having to work for rewards", Legendary armor has been a thing for quite a few years, it was widely known how long and how much effort the PvP, WvW and Raid sets took. Were you expecting a Legendary armor set rewarded for logging in each day over a month or something?

These ""nightmarish grind"" claims make me wonder how the people saying these managed to play MMORPGs, a genre pretty much known for that. Then again, if this is nightmarish grind then I suppose harvesting cabbages in Dry Top is the acceptable level.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

Yeah, I've just seen the skinner box surrounding me and walked out the door.

I have, for the time-being, realised that this genre and GaaS in general just aren't worth my time and money, because any one of them they wants all of it.

There's a lot of talk around BG3 at the moment, and how it's shaken up the industry, and it's right. I want to play games to have fun, not as a second job. The whole mentality of having to work for rewards in games has been blown so far out of proportion, it's gotten ridiculously toxic.

It's not helped by Stockholm Syndrome communities that jealously gate-keep access to this stuff and mewl like spoiled children at the slightest mention of reducing the grind to make things more enjoyable and flexible for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

It's not helped by Stockholm Syndrome communities that jealously gate-keep access to this stuff and mewl like spoiled children at the slightest mention of reducing the grind to make things more enjoyable and flexible for everyone.

You aren't being gatekept out of anything in Soto. You not liking the acquisiton method is not being gatekept. If people purposefully prevented you from accessing Rifts then you'd be gatekept.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

On 9/19/2023 at 4:31 PM, BlueJin.4127 said:

asked for open world legendary armors that require mindless repetition with absolutely no challenge, variety, or engaging gameplay.

You're in luck, one of the things you cant yet gather is probably (based on some of the things theyve said about their plans going forward) going to be from a Dragons End difficulty meta in zone3. 

18 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

ANet have made the new "Open World" legendary armour a nightmarish grind to acquire

False. Nightmares are by nature engaging and stimulating. 😆

Rift hunting is neither of those things; it's tedious at best, with little to distinguish one encounter from the next aside from the background scenery.

I only do them when the new storyline's progression requires it (even then it's deadly dull), or if I happen across one while on the way to something else.

If legendary armor requires doing that over and over and over, I'll stick with ascended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, someone a few posts back claimed t it was (approximately) 2.5 T1s, 1 T2, and .5T3s per day, working out to 8 rifts every two days to get the essences needed and this is considered an excessive grind? Realistically the T1s I've done have taken a few seconds each. The T2s a touch longer, and the T3s a minute or two. So the time to complete the 8 rifts every two days could be as little as five minutes plus travel time. So five minutes plus travel time every two days. Lets pad that up to 15 minutes every two days to include travel time. Seven and a half minutes per day is excessive grind? Lets double that to assume very slow travel time and, perhaps, not enough DPS to kill quickly, and you are back up to 15 minutes per day. Is that really a severe grind? Quadruple the time to 30 minutes per day and I still am not sure that I would consider it anything resembling an excessive grind.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

So, someone a few posts back claimed t it was (approximately) 2.5 T1s, 1 T2, and .5T3s per day, working out to 8 rifts every two days to get the essences needed and this is considered an excessive grind? Realistically the T1s I've done have taken a few seconds each. The T2s a touch longer, and the T3s a minute or two. So the time to complete the 8 rifts every two days could be as little as five minutes plus travel time. So five minutes plus travel time every two days. Lets pad that up to 15 minutes every two days to include travel time. Seven and a half minutes per day is excessive grind? Lets double that to assume very slow travel time and, perhaps, not enough DPS to kill quickly, and you are back up to 15 minutes per day. Is that really a severe grind? Quadruple the time to 30 minutes per day and I still am not sure that I would consider it anything resembling an excessive grind.

The grind is referring to the fact that you need a very large amount of one tiny aspect of the 'open world'. That's the issue: it's not open world. Additionally, those numbers are for one set, not the full 3, which is the ideal goal for the players who want to outfit their characters with legendary armor without having to do the extensive player coordination that raids or wvw require, nor the pvp aspects.

We were hoping that the 'grind' would involve going all over the game world similar to what we have do to for Gen 1 legendaries, Prismatic Champion's Regalia, Vision, and Aurora. Instead, the part that requires the largest effort and time/material sink is the monotonous rift grind (plus the grind to make the motivations unless you're rich).

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The grind is referring to the fact that you need a very large amount of one tiny aspect of the 'open world'. That's the issue: it's not open world.

It very much is open world. And it was rather obvious something will be bound to being THE repeated content of that acquisition method. People proposed things like world bosses, which aren't really any less repetitive or boring than rifts are. If your issue is truly repetition then don't strain yourself with the hyperfocused grinding and instead go for weekly rifts while doing anything else in ow you want to do. I don't know how any of this is surprising or somehow out of line for anyone.

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

We were hoping that the 'grind' would involve going all over the game world similar to what we have do to for Gen 1 legendaries

What exactly do you need for gen 1 in this context? Map completion? Well, you have that part within the soto map completion. Doesn't count because what, it's not old content you were already playing?
Vision and Aurora were also bound to their specific content they were released with. Just like it is with soto. 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It very much is open world. And it was rather obvious something will be bound to being THE repeated content of that acquisition method. People proposed things like world bosses, which aren't really any less repetitive or boring than rifts are. If your issue is truly repetition then don't strain yourself with the hyperfocused grinding and instead go for weekly rifts while doing anything else in ow you want to do. I don't know how any of this is surprising or somehow out of line for anyone.

What exactly do you need for gen 1 in this context? Map completion? Well, you have that part within the soto map completion. Doesn't count because what, it's not old content you were already playing?
Vision and Aurora were also bound to their specific content they were released with. Just like it is with soto. 

The precursor collections for gen1 weapons had collections that involved dungeons, world bosses, jumping puzzles, mini-dungeons, and I think fractals as well. It was content that made you do a variety of things. Vision and Aurora, while tied to specific LS seasons, were at least varied in what you had to do. There were various collections, events, jumping puzzles and bounties that needed to be done. That's what made it fun and interesting. The largest chunk of work involved for the armor stuff is just rifts, with 2 (maybe 3) zone map completions and 2 (maybe 3) meta events sprinkled in. Perhaps I just expected that soto would require some stuff from the core game too at the very least, but I guess it's just wrong of me to expect too much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

People are rushing too much for something that won't be out for months and we don't even have the full acquisition methods for. 

Unless a player is really rich and/or really enjoys rifts, I don't think it's a good idea to heavily grind rifts right now. I understand some players want the armors the moment they're released, but...

1) We'll likely get more ways to obtain essences, and the new methods will probably be better, faster, and/or more enjoyable than what we have now.

2) We might get more masteries that make it easier to obtain essences. I don't know how accurate the wiki is, but the wiki states that the Rift Mastery increases the number of Despair Essences we get, but there's no mention of this mastery increasing Greed and Triumph Essences. Hope somebody who knows better than me can clarify this.

3) Motivation costs will almost certainly go down. Considering that you get triple the essences when using a motivation, it's not really worth grinding too much without motivations. It's better to wait a few months until they go down in price.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

in my opinion every grind is justifiable depending on profitability.

right now we can only assume that you cant buy or sell SotO Legendary Armor when it finally releases and im suggesting to make it tradable in order to take away grinding from those that dont like it and shift it in favor for those that dont mind it so that both sides can maximize their outcome or reach their goal more convenient.

depending on that:

for the buyers it may be better to straight up grind gold somewhere and/or buy gems to convert in to gold in order to get it from the TP after wards just to skip forced linear grinding (the skiping doesent skip the crafting it just shifts it to somone that doesent mind the crafting and will do it for them in that case)  in the same way aurene legendarys are buyable or grindable depending on what you prefer at any point in time in this game.

For the grinders it may be worth exponentially more to grind the SotO armor while beeing repeatable in the same way tradable aurene legendary weapons are right now but with the potential for even higher profits due to the increased effort you have to put in.

to make an example of what im trying to say here:

Most People that do Fractals every single day dont just do it because its fun, they do the repetitive same fractals because they are rewarded at the end with id argue the most gold per/hour wich makes it worth their while no matter of what you have to do again and again for it every single day.

EoD > Tradable Legendary Weapons

SotO > Tradable Legendary Armor
maybe???

I suggest they give the OPEN WORLD Legendary SotO armor the same treatment that Aurene EoD Legendarys got when it comes to accessibility.

and here is a link to a post i created in case you would want to point out something that would help us find negative or positive aspects to my suggestion: Sellable SotO Armor

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Unless a player is really rich and/or really enjoys rifts, I don't think it's a good idea to grind rifts right now. I understand some players want the armors the moment they're released, but...

1) We'll likely get more ways to obtain essences, and the new methods will probably be better, faster, and/or more enjoyable than what we have now.

2) We might get more masteries that make it easier to obtain essences. I don't know how accurate the wiki is, but the wiki states that the Rift Mastery increases the number of Despair Essences we get, but there's no mention of this mastery increasing Greed and Triumph Essences. Hope somebody who knows better than me can clarify this.

3) Motivation costs will almost certainly go down. Considering that you get triple the essences when using a motivation, it's not really worth grinding too much without motivations. It's better to wait a few months until they go down in price.

I've only been doing the weekly incursions and whenever they appear on my dailies I'll do one. 

8 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The precursor collections for gen1 weapons had collections that involved dungeons, world bosses, jumping puzzles, mini-dungeons, and I think fractals as well. It was content that made you do a variety of things.

Yeah, getting ported to the jp chest is such content. Lock portals and actually make it impossible to use mounts to reach the chests and then talk about that "variety of content" (1,5k unusual coins are also required for the armor btw). From what we know, people pushing for ow set did that because they didn't want to play instanced content btw. 🙄

8 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Vision and Aurora, while tied to specific LS seasons, were at least varied in what you had to do.

About as varied as soto armor is, yeah. But I like how now you reverted to this claim when previously it was "all over the game world". At this point you'll just keep altering your complaint to keep complaining even if your initial one was misrepresenting (not necessarily intentionally) the actual state of the game. But hey, if vision and aurora were "all over the world" then stick to doing weekly rifts and it will also be "all over the world", possibly even more than what you compared it to.

6 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

People are rushing too much for something that won't be out for months and we don't even have the full acquisition methods for. 

Yup and that's the main issue here. People complain about grind while they're going out of their way (or think they need to go out of their way?) to hyperfocus on grinding out the reward.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because they know that half a year from now some of those events might not be so popular anymore.

What is more likely to kill their popularity is people thoughtlessly burning themselves out on them. I'm sure everyone taking a more measured approach will still do them, especially with the structure of weekly incursions and the wizard's vault including them. 

• Like 2