[Feedback] Legendary Obsidian Armor

33 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

There's grind and there's grind. There is 11 years of content they could've thrown into the mix. They went with an insignificant aspect of  a tiny expansion. It just boggles the mind.

If we look back when Anet just introduced Skyscale and Vision back in LS3, these two also contained some of the most tedious, mind boggling map grind at the time.

But despite the player outcry these grinding element did effectively made those maps incredibly active and alive until Icebrood Saga eased the grinding by adding more currency exchanges.

Judging we the majority of the expansion is still in development, I believe this could be a similar tactic.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

We all knew it has to be at the very least be more grindy than the existing PvP/WvW/Raid options

You can design grind to consist of a variety of actions and steps. It doesn't have to be one thing out of hundreds of options available in this game's content. This is just lazy design, nothing else. People wouldn't mind grinding other open world directives alongside rifts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You can design grind to consist of a variety of actions and steps. It doesn't have to be one thing out of hundreds of options available in this game's content. This is just lazy design, nothing else. People wouldn't mind grinding other open world directives alongside rifts.

Yes, it is lazy design. Again have you looked at their past releases? Do they really look to be filled with the amount of content that you think it will have? Why do you think they are charging for what is effectively 2 living story meshed into one? 

They don't have the resource/funds to do the type of content you want, so rift grind which is an activity that force players to do something on the entire world map in general. This is the compromise. There is no malicious intent here, they simply can't do it. Welcome to the world of PvP/WvW/Raiders.

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 9/7/2023 at 11:56 PM, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

You can do the repeatable achievements "Illuminating [area name]" for repeat map completion awards by lighting the Starlight Lanterns.

if you got multiple chars its just faster to do map completion imho.. i did that kitten once, and it was way more mind numbing than just fly around grabbing PoI, Vista and WP.

• Like 1

I enjoyed doing Regalia, Aurora, and most of Vision (meteor farming is stupid design). I’m mostly an OW player (have done enough PvP to get Ascension and two pieces of leggie armor). I run offensive support builds in metas so I’m contributing to my fellow players success and not just pressing 1.

Just thought I’d share to undermine this false narrative that the target for the OW leggie armor is some homogenous mass of drooling auto-attackers who deeply desired something like rift farming when they asked for an OW path.

It will likely be ignored, but I’ll reiterate that the distaste for raids in a portion of the population has nothing to do with not wanting to learn the game or do something challenging.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 10
  • Confused 5

57 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I enjoyed doing Regalia, Aurora, and most of Vision (meteor farming is stupid design). I’m mostly an OW player (have done enough PvP to get Ascension and two pieces of leggie armor). I run offensive support builds in metas so I’m contributing to my fellow players success and not just pressing 1.

Just thought I’d share to undermine this false narrative that the target for the OW leggie armor is some homogenous mass of drooling auto-attackers who deeply desired something like rift farming when they asked for an OW path.

It will likely be ignored, but I’ll reiterate that the distaste for raids in a portion of the population has nothing to do with not wanting to learn the game or do something challenging.

Not really, but most of the complaints about legendary armor were from the homogeneous mass of drooling auto attackers. 

Now they are complaining about the mind numbing rift farm (which I find absurd, don't get me wrong). Had Anet made rifts really interesting, aka challenging, you would see the same brain dead players complaining about the difficulty. 

If OW leggy was easier and faster, then you would have everyone else grunting about it.

And we had a lot of comments over the years requesting OW legendary armor "regardless of grind".

There's no winning here for Anet, someone is always going to complaint.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, disForm.2837 said:

There's no winning here for Anet, someone is always going to complaint.

That’s just people though, isn’t it? No matter what, there will be someone with a complaint.

That doesn’t make rifts good game design, nor does it make the drooling autoattacker myth true.

Any time someone tries to label an entire group of people, whether it’s the “elitist raiders” or the “brain dead OW players”, it’s because that person has an agenda.

Yeah, some people used hyperbole in their arguments for OW armor. That’s not the same thing as “people who asked for OW armor wanted a brain dead grind”.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That’s just people though, isn’t it? No matter what, there will be someone with a complaint.

That doesn’t make rifts good game design, nor does it make the drooling autoattacker myth true.

Any time someone tries to label an entire group of people, whether it’s the “elitist raiders” or the “brain dead OW players”, it’s because that person has an agenda.

Yeah, some people used hyperbole in their arguments for OW armor. That’s not the same thing as “people who asked for OW armor wanted a brain dead grind”.

I agree, encapsulating a whole group behind a label is just not fair. 

As I said, in its current form, rifts are mind boggling boring. But OW legendary armor can't be fast, because none of the other options has that luxury. 

They should have mixed rifts with other content, bounties, metas, world bosses. All OW but you wouldn't have to suffer through hundreds of "run with your mount, press F, 11111, press F" in an eternal loop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, disForm.2837 said:

I agree, encapsulating a whole group behind a label is just not fair. 

As I said, in its current form, rifts are mind boggling boring. But OW legendary armor can't be fast, because none of the other options has that luxury. 

They should have mixed rifts with other content, bounties, metas, world bosses. All OW but you wouldn't have to suffer through hundreds of "run with your mount, press F, 11111, press F" in an eternal loop.

Absolutely.

It should take time. I think that’s a general consensus. It’s the mind numbing sameness that is the objection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Some people just need to put others down to make themselves feel better. Even going as far as to create sad generalizations about people they know nothing about and haven't ever encountered playing the game. Human nature. They're the kind of people who are confused at perfectly comprehensible forum posts all the time. I know, I just generalized about people I've never met and the irony isn't lost on me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

On 9/9/2023 at 5:07 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then, please, show me those examples of people asking for the kind of grind we've got. So, farming a singular new type of content that is good for nothing else besides legendary grind. If you can't, stop spreading misinformation.

In reality, noone asked for that. Well, noone except for those few people that were from the beginning against the idea of OW armor, of course.

People were coming up with ideas involving grinding world bosses -preeetty sure you saw it- and it's somehow supposed to not be an example of a boring ow grind? Because what, they can't log in-tag-log out on a timer in the same place with barely any gameplay, but instead need to move around? That's what it is about, isn't it? Not really it somehow being "boring".

And yes, there were also posts saying things like "people want to grind for it".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

People were coming up with ideas involving grinding world bosses -preeetty sure you saw it- and it's somehow supposed to not be an example of a boring ow grind? Because what, they can't log in-tag-log out on a timer in the same place with barely any gameplay, but instead need to move around? That's what it is about, isn't it? Not really it somehow being "boring".

And yes, there were also posts saying things like "people want to grind for it".

If you see absolutely no difference between world boss/meta events and rifts, then just believe me that they do exist, and are not small.

(the one difference that might be noticeable to you is that world boss/meta events are something people actually do already, while Rifts are meant only for legendary grind and have absolutely no value outside it).

It's like saying that DRMs are an answer to asking for more raids.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

13 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If you see absolutely no difference between world boss/meta events and rifts, then just believe me that they do exist, and are not small.

oh, I do see the differences, I even mentioned some in my post. Except they qualify those world bosses to be called even more boring and requiring less active gameplay than the events you're complaining about here. And, again, people did ask for grind involving those boring things in the past, hence the relevance of my response and your quick pivot into something else (like now searching for better rewards besides legendary armor. Rewards that -in spite of you claming otherwise- are still there).

the one difference that might be noticeable to you is that world boss/meta events are something people actually do already

Of course "they do them already" and they didn't do rifts... Because they didn't exist.

Rifts are meant only for legendary grind and have absolutely no value outside it).

(...)with no rewards whatsoever (except for that collection progress)

Pretty sure that's false btw.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I play on average 1-3 hrs a day (a couple longer Saturdays when family life is out of the house). Not counting the completely unknown element of the third map armor /completing the ‘precursors’ (but YES counting the speculation pieces outlined in the wiki), I am more than on track to have a full set of armor the day it’s released. Is it a grind? Yes. Is it an unreasonable one? Not even close

if you want the shiny, do the work required for the shiny, or stop whining

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

The cost in Ectoplasm is too high. I understand there's a need for there to be a way to get Ecto out of the game aside from gambling. It should be reduced for the Kryptis essence. I would suggest down to around 20 since you also need a load to make Motivations if you want to have a chance of gathering the essences in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

13 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i just want skin be really fabulous and not a scam like wvw "warlord" armor(looks like plastic, and have weird dye effects).

Yeah I don't know what they were doing with the dye channels for that. It's not the only armour either, the Ancient Canthan pieces dye a bit funny on the metal bits too. I wish they would be more consistent with their art direction to allow for easier mixing and matching of styles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:51 AM, Brangwen Liana.5632 said:

I am enjoying the new expansion a lot. I was super excited about the new path for another leggie armor set. I have full set of lightweight armor from Raids, and am working on a heavy set in WvW. I wanted to do my medium set using this new PvE path. I am 82% into the collection achieve so far. I have watched a couple of videos of ppl actually calculating the cost and time it is going to take to get the set, and I don't think I have it in me, knowing getting raid armor is going to go much quicker, to work on that set. Its too expensive, and its too grindy for those essences. I get that its leggie armor, but if you want to put that in reach of the general player who has been wanting a set, but doesn't raid and doesn't PvP, and doesn't WvW, its too much. You are going to end up with this cool looking set of armor that most ppl are never going to bother with because its too big of a grind. I am a raider, I WvW, and I don't even want to grind it out. Urgh. Disappointed for sure unless this gets nerfed into the realm of actual possibility. I will likely go back to raiding for my medium set. 

I was very excited about OW legendary armor, was asking for it for quite a while. Had hopes it would be implemented like legendary amulet grind (with added crafting costs, not sure why they gave amulet for free completely, although it was nice of them). It touched a bunched of content, require a lot of grind, but it was non-repetitive mostly and enjoyable.

After looking at escense requirements for OW armor and evaluation of the number of rifts to close, I just switched back to WvW. I already have 2 sets of WvW armor, will just finish 3rd one. WvW requires quite a bit of time spent there, but it's becoming easier with ranks + content is probably the least repetitive considering you are fighting against other players. At the same time, it's not PvP as well as it's aimed towards objectives. The only problem is your fun depends a lot on your server performance and commander you are following, so results may vary.

Botom lines, if you don't like grinding rifts and do not like PvP, I recommend to try WvW for legendary armor and rings. You may like it (recommendation not directly to message poster but fellow PvE enjoyers). OW medium skin looks nice though.

Edited by WRay.2391
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, WRay.2391 said:

Had hopes it would be implemented like legendary amulet grind

Probably because... that legendary amulet didn't involve any "grind". It's a walk in the park and more of a leggy handout for people having a -at the time- full lw/expansion set than anything else.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

On 9/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, disForm.2837 said:

this is already have, the amount of mats required = world bosses and metas.

• Confused 2