2 easy solutions to the tower/keep hacker problem

Zephyrus.9680

#1.  If inner walls and doors are up, give "Marked" (sentry effect) around the lord. This will show when hackers are doing the thing.  

#2. If inner walls and doors are up, give lords a fixed 10,000 HP regen/sec in combat. That's about 1 player's worth of DPS. 

Or these can be unconditional effects. But the "inner doors and walls" condition makes it hardly affect anyone else.

Either one of these or both can easily address the problem.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

#1.  If inner walls and doors are up, give "Marked" (sentry effect) around the lord. This will show when hackers are doing the thing.  

#2. If inner walls and doors are up, give lords a fixed 10,000 HP regen/sec in combat. That's about 1 player's worth of DPS. 

Or these can be unconditional effects. But the "inner doors and walls" condition makes it hardly affect anyone else.

1) People don’t even make it in time when warned enemy are approaching, enemy has breached outer, enemy has breached inner and enemy has spent 2 minutes on lord. Not sure how much this would do against an actual hacker.

2) So you can just repair the wall again to make it completely impossible for small groups to kill the lord? I like it, make the lord do 100K damage per attack too and you got a deal 👌

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

Maybe, but this rewards sloppy play as well and impacts legit players that avoided scouts after a breach was made. I mean we don't have people that repair in either case. So if these would apply we would need some balance in play that if the walls/doors are damaged this is off. I think the time would better be spent on the other forums and getting the code base fixed.

12 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

Same issue, the solution tries to address the bad code by penalizing small scale versus large scale play.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Just make the cap require at least 5 people for towers and up. 

Should be difficult enough to hide that many players. And it's enough players that if you didn't scout the objective, the tower would be gone anyway. 

A lot of people practice solo capping let alone havoc play that might be less than 5 players. Don't think this would work. 

• Like 2

It's pretty easy to stay 15 feet from a blob and still hide inside a tower, even on a class with no stealth.  Obviously not every tower, but a lot of them.  And, it's fairly easy to solo a paper tower.  The problem is that this punishes legit gameplay.  I am not necessarily opposed, but would have to see how it played with the change before ruling on it.

14 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

This punishes those who have been in a tower or keep legit and doesn't prove that there's been an exploit or hack.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

Don't see how that's specifically targeting hackers tbh. First, walls/doors can be repaired. Secondly, players using stealth in structures don't have to be punished because defenders didn't clean up house. You don't even have to use stealth : the other day I afked a few minutes for a smoke in a borderland tower that was ours at the time. I came back apparently after the tower was flipped and the group long gone, still alive (train gotta brrr I guess).

We have scouts and target painter traps. Just fix the maps once and for all, it's not like the poor guy still supposedly working on WvW have lot of things going on atm..

Why do people always propose convoluted solutions that involve everything but actually fixing the problems themselves?

If your first assumption to seeing enemies in a tower is that they must be hacking, then you are probably one of those bad scouts that just ping [Redbriar] with 0 context and you will lose everything anyways. 

Also there seems to be some bizarre idea that cheaters that blatantly cheat out in the open care about being flagged, instead of like, you know, actually banning them.

I strongly recommend actually playing the game mode before suggesting changes to it.

16 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Just make the cap require at least 5 people for towers and up. 

Should be difficult enough to hide that many players. And it's enough players that if you didn't scout the objective, the tower would be gone anyway. 

This might actually be the worst idea I've ever seen on the forums. I assume this must be a meme.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Arya Whitefire.8423 said:

Because banning hackers and exploiters requires continuous ongoing work.  A change to the game that entirely removed the benefits of exploiting through walls will still be going strong in 2, 3, 5 years when wvw, no doubt, has even less developer support.

Some bans can be automated other games does it.

Anet tried to implement an autoban for speed hacking 5-7 years ago.  It had a zillion false positives, and they had to turn it off.  It was probably at least partially because, a completely unmodified client can be made to cause you to speed hack in various ways.  Just like a completely unmodified client sometimes loads keeps and towers with no walls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/3/2023 at 4:57 AM, Zephyrus.9680 said:

Not agree, this kill hide and seek games. But they could add easy some more hidden walls. No idea why cant do this.

On 11/3/2023 at 3:57 AM, Zephyrus.9680 said:

And me thinking that the easiest solution would be to actually fix the issue... How stupid i am, right!
But the silver lining is that I can see that you are well versed in Anet problem fixing method: If there is a problem, don't fix it, just create another problem to cover it.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Its a CONERSTONE GAME MODE. Its all fine.

Also, from what I understand, all exploits have been reported repeatedly for nearly a decade (exploits being a far more used issue than actual hacks).

Also, apparently they go to the QA team. 

Given the amount of releases with an absolute steady stream of bug fixes -- I think QA Team? is more appropriate. 

It'd also explain why nothing ever happens. Remember that for over a decade the wiki had the wrong email address to submit issues to... an entire decade.

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 1