Plot hole in SotO part 2 (Spoilers)

Denise.8145

In the story is a gigantic plot hole. One story beat before the end, we meet an resque the cusin of Pathia, bring her to the camp so she is safe....and just one story beat later, she is captured and killed by a random Champion Lacky of the big bad, just to show how EEEEEEVIL he is........but HOW did the cusin got captured in the first place when we JUST resqued her in the first place?????? Is there a story instance missing? Whats going on?

Edited by Denise.8145
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

Bad story writing. Nothing else to say. To be fair the story felt the same with the first soto chapter to me. I don't like the "quality Evolution" of the new story. It feels rushed to me with to many lose ends and bad written ends. Also the New story chapter was freaking short even for a Living Story Chapter.

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

Is Peitha naked?

Now this is a topic worth discussing, gentlemen! 

3 hours ago, Denise.8145 said:

but HOW did the cusin got captured in the first place when we JUST resqued her in the first place?????? Is there a story instance missing? Whats going on?

Bad writing. And/or tight schedule for releases. 

The really important question we should all be asking is why do we get worse quality content for a price tag than living world was providing? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

The whole story is rushed here.

We go from deciding to help Peitha, to fending off an invading force and jumping after in Neijos, cutting our preperations short (so far, so good)

Then we are at a camp, with people who are supposed to be dead, in an hostile enviroment and also the frontline of an assault, that doesn't have much explanation given and visually doesn't reflect that. A puny camp and two Kryptis on our side (3 with the one we save) vs the rest? That's not a good presentation.

They rushed us into the last part of a story and ignored setting things up.

There needed to be a place to experience Naiyos, before rushing into the endgame. How about Peithas home, a village she protects, anything bigger than a small camp. Anything that gives us a feeling for the place.

The alienation I feel right now, is mostly because what I see is not fitting with what I am told and what I am told is not enough to wave away my disbelief.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/8/2023 at 6:34 AM, Denise.8145 said:

In the story is a gigantic plot hole. One story beat before the end, we meet an resque the cusin of Pathia, bring her to the camp so she is safe....and just one story beat later, she is captured and killed by a random Champion Lacky of the big bad, just to show how EEEEEEVIL he is........but HOW did the cusin got captured in the first place when we JUST resqued her in the first place?????? Is there a story instance missing? Whats going on?

On 11/8/2023 at 8:42 AM, neffi.9175 said:

Bad story writing. Nothing else to say. To be fair the story felt the same with the first soto chapter to me. I don't like the "quality Evolution" of the new story. It feels rushed to me with to many lose ends and bad written ends. Also the New story chapter was freaking short even for a Living Story Chapter.

Before going on about plotholes or bad story writing it would be nice if y'all actually read in game. Because it is straight up shoved in your face what happened to Irja

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/8/2023 at 6:43 AM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I'm literally not paying attention to the story...

Explains why you have questions like:

I mean, did Zojja brain melted?

I think at the end of the last chapter it was said that Zojja will lose some memories while ascending to full wizardhood.

Who are all those kryptis(?) talking to me?

If you mean the whispers on the map: some are stor characters we meet along the way, some are NPCs that "inform you" about an event they're a part of.

Why did we go to that place to begin with?

As is stated at the end of the last chapter: the big bad is eating all the Kryptis to become more powerful. We can't have that because if he gets more powerful and if he's eaten everthing in Nayos, he'll mos  likely come for us tyrians.

I'm not saying that we get great writing with this """expansion""". But on the one hand stating that you don't follow the story while on the other hand complaining that you don't know what's going on in the story is not a good argument.

On the question raised in the OP: Yes it is explained but also yes, it's a cheap, forced emotional moment. I actually chuckled when the game made my character go "No, not Irja!!! Now it's personal!". It shows that the writers not really understand how creating a emotional moment by way of character death works. I see what thy were going for, but it felt rushed and therefor had no impact.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jaken.6801 said:

The whole story is rushed here.

We go from deciding to help Peitha, to fending off an invading force and jumping after in Neijos, cutting our preperations short (so far, so good)

Then we are at a camp, with people who are supposed to be dead, in an hostile enviroment and also the frontline of an assault, that doesn't have much explanation given and visually doesn't reflect that. A puny camp and two Kryptis on our side (3 with the one we save) vs the rest? That's not a good presentation.

They rushed us into the last part of a story and ignored setting things up.

There needed to be a place to experience Naiyos, before rushing into the endgame. How about Peithas home, a village she protects, anything bigger than a small camp. Anything that gives us a feeling for the place.

The alienation I feel right now, is mostly because what I see is not fitting with what I am told and what I am told is not enough to wave away my disbelief.

What makes you think a group of people who specialize in fighting kryptis should be dead? 

Nothing so far has shown that the kryptis are really dangerous. Except for their mind attacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What makes you think a group of people who specialize in fighting kryptis should be dead? 

Nothing so far has shown that the kryptis are really dangerous. Except for their mind attacks. 

A group of people, pulled into the very realm of things, they struggle to keep at bay at the moment. A group of people who got knocked out and pulled in the last time we saw them.

This group of people was stranded there, in a hostile enviroment, with only the help of two Kryptis. Even if one of them is powerful, she didn't seem to be around all the time.

We also see these "specialized people" lamenting their losses again and aagain. That this is supposed to be a threat to be taken seriously. That they need the numbers and are struggling.

Why should be take the Kryptis threat seriously, if a small group can survive, without any visible aid on a supposed frontline? Even if they are highly trained, there are limits.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaken.6801 said:

A group of people, pulled into the very realm of things, they struggle to keep at bay at the moment. A group of people who got knocked out and pulled in the last time we saw them.

This group of people was stranded there, in a hostile enviroment, with only the help of two Kryptis. Even if one of them is powerful, she didn't seem to be around all the time.

We also see these "specialized people" lamenting their losses again and aagain. That this is supposed to be a threat to be taken seriously. That they need the numbers and are struggling.

Why should be take the Kryptis threat seriously, if a small group can survive, without any visible aid on a supposed frontline? Even if they are highly trained, there are limits.

Nothing in the story said so far the kryptis are a threat. 

Eparch could be a future threat but he is not right now. If he was, the commander would not hesitate to call the tyrian forces. 

But we don't need them yet. 

Kryptis are no dragon minions. The only dangerous part are the mind attacks, which we have methods against. 

Powerlevel wise, they are a joke. 

This isn't a magumma jungle 2.0

This is a group of very capable fighters fighting the equivalent of real life tigers. 

Sure you lose some people, but compared what we are used to, a complete joke. 

There is a reason peitha sees us as a walking super weapon. Because we are, compared to the kryptis. 

There is no danger currently. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

The story writing is inept, it's no wonder that the OP didn't understand. Some random bit of grey snot appears for five minutes then is killed "shock", there is no such thing as dramatic effect in the story which differs from when they killed multiple main characters of the game in heart of thorns. Haven't seen any such spine in the story since.  Heitor is supposed to be a villain demon to kill, yet next to nothing is known about them and the character has only just encountered them. It's why the whole thing is so anti climatic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Before going on about plotholes or bad story writing it would be nice if y'all actually read in game. Because it is straight up shoved in your face what happened to Irja

And yet, outside of the story journal that does in fact not get shoved into our faces. If you are in the map you're getting pulled into the meta, playing the map, and going to the next green star to do the next story step. It is indeed as OP stated. This is just bad writing and bad execution. Why even introduce the character just to kill her in the very next story step with a complete throwaway piece of dialogue as the bridge to that story piece that is obviously missed by most people?

It's the WiR trope on its face, and not even done well at that.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

And yet, outside of the story journal that does in fact not get shoved into our faces. If you are in the map you're getting pulled into the meta, playing the map, and going to the next green star to do the next story step. It is indeed as OP stated. This is just bad writing and bad execution. Why even introduce the character just to kill her in the very next story step with a complete throwaway piece of dialogue as the bridge to that story piece that is obviously missed by most people?

It's the WiR trope on its face, and not even done well at that.

The entire story so far boils down to:

Isgarren: Eparch is kind of a problem. 

Peitha: Commander? Could you please murder everything between here and Eparch? 

Commander: Yes, queen! ( proceeds to kill everything in their path in blinding speed) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Commander: Yes, queen! ( proceeds to kill everything in their path in blinding speed) 

I mean... Aurene is gone, so they need a queen to slay for... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Since Soto launched, I've been having this weird deja vu about the story.  I finally realized why I felt that way Tuesday, listening to Peitha talk.  Stargate Atlantis.  We go through a "portal" to a "another world", the enemies drain your life force (eat our emotions or something), and even the voice acting.  The first time the team on Atlantis encounter the Wraith, they talk the same, act the same, and feed on our life force (which kills us obviously).  Watch the first couple episodes of Stargate Atlantis and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by MedievalThings.5417
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

<Insert big character name>: <Expansion big bad boss> is kind of a problem

<Companion character: Commander? Could you please murder everything between here and <Expansion big bad boss>? 

Commander: Yes

GW2 story summed up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jaken.6801 said:

Just going to say that nothing implies the Astral Ward is actively struggling with Kryptis after the events of the first chunk of the story. Frode casually mentions 5 portal attacks that were dealt with, and didn't involve the commander.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1