No Damage PvP

Gotejjeken.1267

Noticing a huge uptick in just all bunker specs--every game boils down to who has a scourge now.  

I mean, just had a game with two tempests, a core guard, and a mechanist--all bunker, not condi bunker, not support bunker, but just straight do no damage bunkers.  The other team had Untamed Staff bunker, Scourge, think a Spellbreaker---it just boiled down to the scourge can hold node longest.  

I think this is due to can't really run DPS anymore due to all the mitigation, ground mark spam, etc. 

This won't get better with the new weapons which prioritize support.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If someone is new to pvp or in general of lower skill, the best thing they can do is play bunker. Or at least that is what they believe. 

"If I don't die and sit on node all day, hopefully the others can win the game for me" 

And if they loose the match, they can say it's not their fault. They didn't die. They hold the node. 

If they die? Just blame Anet for making class XY OP. Get ganged? Blame team. 

You also remove all buildcrafting. Just slap as much defense on the build as possible. Even a Noob can do that. 

It's the best "pretend to be useful" option for low skilled players. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If someone is new to pvp or in general of lower skill, the best thing they can do is play bunker. Or at least that is what they believe. 

"If I don't die and sit on node all day, hopefully the others can win the game for me" 

And if they loose the match, they can say it's not their fault. They didn't die. They hold the node. 

If they die? Just blame Anet for making class XY OP. Get ganged? Blame team. 

You also remove all buildcrafting. Just slap as much defense on the build as possible. Even a Noob can do that. 

It's the best "pretend to be useful" option for low skilled players. 

It's all fine to claim well timed bursts are the true display of skill but bunkers can and will anyway easily hit high gold and plat due to the imbalance, so it can't be "pretending" if it's making people climb while spamming their barriers on point. In fact only the high level duos who avoid playing against each other (even worse imbalance display) will consistently outdo bunker comps.

27 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

I blame a lot of this on the boon spam meta. There's too much resistance, resolution, and stability in PvP. Anet hard nerfing necros corruption also made way to this boring tank meta. 

this absolute madman spits straight facts every time he opens his mouth, it's unbelievable.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

nobody knows how to do damage anymore anyways

5 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If someone is new to pvp or in general of lower skill, the best thing they can do is play bunker.

It's not even that. It's that right now defensive stats are just transcendent of DPS stats. The way the game is situated currently, if you want to roll DPS you have to sacrifice nearly all defensive options, but if you roll heavy defense you can still maintain just about half that damage. IE: stat skews between DPS and Bruisers are looking like this nowadays:

1. Power Soulbeast 6 offensive power and 1 defense power, OR
  2. Condiserk 3-4 offensive power and 6 defense power

This is just what's happening amongst every class with only a few arguable exceptions. It's not that people wanted this or that they forgot how to DPS or they have low skill factors, it's that running Super Bruiser is simply the best option currently.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Cuks.8241 said:

I thought we are in burst meta. And I never found it hard to lock down a Scourge compared to guard or tempest. But I'm just a gold player, maybe I'm not meeting the good Scourges.

We've been in bunker meta for awhile now. Every game is tempest/guard/bladesworn at the very least. Some games will even have teams that double up on those specs.

Tempest is far away the strongest pvp spec in the entire game atm. Ele in general is still insane, but tempest specifically is just crazy support, so much so, that if there's tempest+another support on enemy team, GL pulling out a win seriously. Certain combos like tempest+bladesworn atm are just not fun at all to go up against.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Waffles.5632 said:

We've been in bunker meta for awhile now. Every game is tempest/guard/bladesworn at the very least. Some games will even have teams that double up on those specs.

Tempest is far away the strongest pvp spec in the entire game atm. Ele in general is still insane, but tempest specifically is just crazy support, so much so, that if there's tempest+another support on enemy team, GL pulling out a win seriously. Certain combos like tempest+bladesworn atm are just not fun at all to go up against.

I'm not really good enough to see a big difference. If I play against better players it's a burst meta for them and if I play with my golden buddies we're all in bunker meta because we can rarely get some coordination going 🙂

I just watched a few vids from last mat (Vallun's one of them) and burst meta was mentioned several times and people got deleted real fast. Not old videos, 2-3 weeks. It's probably different environment though compared to some random ranked matches.

Also I played some tournaments lately and we didn't even do so bad. But when we got paired with better teams I noticed dps chronos and scrappers are kinda insane on the burst side right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I just watched a few vids from last mat (Vallun's one of them) and burst meta was mentioned several times

Which one? As this one was three weeks ago about 'PvP meta builds' and first one mentioned is the (now nerfed) condi bunker Untamed....

The DPS he mentions in duelist is catalyst which 'isn't ideal as it's slow' and scrapper which 'can easily be locked down'.  His alternatives? Dmg bunkers like Vindi and Reaper, or roaming bunkers like Specter...

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

5 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Friendly reminder that nothing significant balance wise changed between the time period a few months ago when people were complaining about dying in two seconds and now, except the odd damage nerf to skillls that didn't require it.

Only thing I've noticed is that player competency has gotten worse, at least in recent matches I've been in. Nobody knows how to use CTR-T, and if I do, they don't focus that target. You've got maybe two people focusing the target and then a few others deciding for themselves they know better than a dragon player. I don't think damage has really dropped off or bunker has improved, I think people have just gotten worse.