Why are you so stingy with achievement points?

Kapax.3801

I have a little over 7,ooo points. I'm sure if I were to really try I could eke out more of the +1 and +3 achievements but none of the rewards (other account increases in Karma, Gold, and Magic find) are really worth it to me. I like the weapon skins I can get out of the chests/buy/randomly pick up. Hellfire isn't too bad, but it takes thousands of points to get a full set (I have the gauntlets and pauldrons).All in all, AP is just another number for people to gauge themselves on how they are doing compared to others.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:Here is my analogy of what every AP thread is like: let's assume OP is 25 years old for the analogy.Player just got their birthday present for 25 but is complaining that their relatives haven't sent them their 40th birthday present yet.

That's a pretty horrible analogy based on even worse assumptions.

It really isn't. People want the skins that are locked behind AP totals that they don't have or won't be available for a few years.

1. Player has 25k AP and wants a 40k AP skin now (or has 33k AP and wants 50k AP skins).
  2. Anet locked some skins behind AP totals that are not even attainable...YET. Meaning, with future releases/content, eventually players will be able to get them. That may be a few years away. Anet wants people to be playing their game 5 years from now, hence the status quo.
  3. It was actually pretty nice of them to allow 15k worth of daily tasks to count towards achievement point totals.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:Here is my analogy of what every AP thread is like: let's assume OP is 25 years old for the analogy.Player just got their birthday present for 25 but is complaining that their relatives haven't sent them their 40th birthday present yet.

That's a pretty horrible analogy based on even worse assumptions.

It really isn't. People want the skins that are locked behind AP totals that they don't have or won't be available for a few years.
  1. Player has 25k AP and wants a 40k AP skin now (or has 33k AP and wants 50k AP skins).
  2. Anet locked some skins behind AP totals that are not even attainable...YET. Meaning, with future releases/content, eventually players will be able to get them. That may be a few years away. Anet wants people to be playing their game 5 years from now, hence the status quo.The point is, that at the current level of AP rewards that Anet gives out lately, we're not talking about 5 years. We're talking about some current rewards not being available even when the game shuts down.Also, your birthday presents analogy is bunk. There's no "40 years birthday present" when you're 25, and even if it was, you will likely not care about a new pair of socks anyway. Also, you get birthday presents on a steady rate, one per year. AP rewards however slow down significantly the higher you go. Personally i'm at the point when i get a new chest every half a year (or longer), and i know that every next chest will take more and more time. The expacs help a bit, but the APs for them also seem to go down (and it's not like they happen all that often). That means i'm not likely to get more than a handful of the chests before the game shuts down. And the players that will start now will not be able to get even that far (i do have a significant advantage from historical achievements).

So, a better analogy would be to get promised a birthday present you want. Not now, however, but at your 120 years birthday.

To me, personally, one of the major issues is how much AP there was in LS1 which I missed out on due to RL obligations.As a result I can never catch up to some of my overachieving friends.But thats not so much my gripe, though.I set out, years ago, to make a Destroyer character.And right now.. hellfire is the only thing that comes close.So thats my goal, as its been for years, to get that hellfire set.You can even imagine my grief when anet adds destroyer wings, and for some Abaddon forsaken reason makes them green.. i can due the glider wings red, but the backpack wings remain green.

But to stay on topic.. im digressing here..A problem I see as time progresses, is that achievements take longer, or become ridiculously expensive, but reward less than a tenth of the AP compared to old achievements (relatively speaking).Buy a few miniatures: 40AP.Completely collect a set of HOT skins; 3AP

I voted no, however my "no" concerns only "no more points". I do not agree on "even fewer points".

I find it as is OK. Some things go fast, some others go slow, that's a good mix.For me, a big part of this game is to be played over time, with the concept that to reach higher needs time and efforts. If everything is made easier and faster, then what remains to do after a while? Already as is now, so many players complain that they have everything done after some days only...I do not understand this constant need to go faster at things. That's my very personal opinion only. :3

I'd like to see more points but still tied to achievements. There are still quite a few minis not tied into a collector's achievement. (PoF ones for example) Maybe another treasure collector achievement, etc. Also would like to see AP match the reward. Nothing like doing a hard achievement (Triple trouble achievements pop into mind) only to a get a small token from it.

Archived