Anet please: Make story mode dungeons soloable or newbie-friendly

Err.6519

How newbies are supposed to play it? 

They can join a group via lfg. But what they will get? 

They will be kicked for not-skipping cutscenes.

They will be left behind if they are lost/stuck.

They will feel useless and confused. Perhaps even flamed.

Perhaps dungeons are soloable. But if you are meta-builded experienced player only.

Despite being outdated dungeons are good content: interesting to explore.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

Just now, Biziut.3594 said:

- "Story Mode, newbie run, watching cutscenes"

- Copy and paste into LFG of Your desired dungeon.

- Profit?

If so. Sometimes it takes time to find a usual party. With those requirements you can sit some hours waiting for someone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Err.6519 said:

If so. Sometimes it takes time to find a usual party. With those requirements you can sit some hours waiting for someone

So better to write "Exp fast run, 10000kp, totally no cutscenes" and than expect peoples to wait for You with everything, becouse if they don't they are bad, and you will badmouth them on the forums?

It's a story mode in 10year old game, of course more rewarding explorable path will fill up faster, thankfully you can only do it once per character and it only gives you ability to open explo mode of the dungeon + lore if you into it.

Since I really doubt ANet would be bothered to use resources to do anything for dungeons (let alone story mode), I advice You to eighter take my previous advice, join guild and ask for help like someone already told You, or "last resort" get to 80, get some decent gear and build and do it solo.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I think it' a good idea. I actually just made a post requesting this. But, unfortunately not a lot of people on the forums here understand the trouble.

For example...

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Try playing during the day and not at 3:42am then.

Time zones my friend. There are many in the world.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

I vote yes to this, though I realize resources may not be available to dedicate to this sort of change.

Not everyone has time to wait for people to join a group. Not everyone has the ability to play during peak hours. Not everyone has access to a guild or friends group. Some people are pure jerks, too, i.e. kicking because of watching cutscenes. "JuSt MaKe YoUr OwN gRoUp!!1!???" Not eveyone has the confidence to do this for their first run of any content; some people don't read titles and just hit join, then complain that people are watching cutscenes even though the group says "WATCHING CUTSCENES;" and another thing that I imagine really doesn't help is this community-wide perspective that the LFG tool is trash.

Unfortunately the solution right now is to either make your own group and weed out any non-readers, join a group and hope they're cool with cutscene watching, or try and solo it at 80.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Make your own group in LfG stating new player friendly, cut scene watching, not speed running group.  Or if you join a group, just say hey I'm new or haven't done this and I'd like to watch the cutscenes.  People are quite polite if you're upfront, and I've never seen anyone kicked for watching one.  

I like the idea of a solo option, but at this point I'd rather they spend resources on future content.   It's a social game, dungeons are meant to bring players together.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Make your own group in LfG stating new player friendly, cut scene watching, not speed running group.  Or if you join a group, just say hey I'm new or haven't done this and I'd like to watch the cutscenes.  People are quite polite if you're upfront, and I've never seen anyone kicked for watching one.  

I like the idea of a solo option, but at this point I'd rather they spend resources on future content.   It's a social game, dungeons are meant to bring players together.  

Well if you join a exp p1,2,3 qdps, adps 3 dps party and say hi new and want to watch cut scenes you would get kicked right away to be fair mate.

All welcome and newbie watching movies are the groups to chose.

26 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well if you join a exp p1,2,3 qdps, adps 3 dps party and say hi new and want to watch cut scenes you would get kicked right away to be fair mate.

Lol good reminder, don't join exp groups if you're not experienced and do not join role specific groups if you are not set up for it.  In that case, expect to be kicked, and reasonably so.  Casual groups are easy enough to find or put together.

5 hours ago, Err.6519 said:

Perhaps dungeons are soloable. But if you are meta-builded experienced player only.

You can ask people in map chat while you are in Lion's Arch to join you for Story Mode and tell them in chat that you would want to take it slow as you wish to learn about the story there ("story mode, no rush" if you are using LFG).

We had some event for just a couple weeks ago when Dungeons where the main event, so I did all 8 dungeons for achievement. Yes, there was some that just rushed everything, but most players that joined my LFG did wait and also helped those that didn't knew what to do in each Dungeons.

Don't be afraid to make your own party and put it up on LFG. You aren't alone in doing dungeons and there are lot of players that are both new (who want to learn the story each dungeons have) and older players that haven't done those, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some people that just want to go through those in a more slow pace then those that just want to get to end for farming something.

As a side note: when you create a group/party and put it up in LFG with information that you want that group to go slow and wait until everybody are out of cut scene, then do kick those that still rush away from group. You will need to have at least one more in party to agree with you to actually kick that person.

As for solo Dungeons in Story Mode, it is possible, but also much more demanding. Not every Dungeon is possible to solo as some have mechanic that are tricky to do alone.

As for Guild, you can create your own Guild and list it here on forum in Guild Section where you explain it is mainly for doing Dungeons in Story Mode. It should be good start to create a Party and then you can use LFG to add more players if it turns out you haven't everybody in your Guild online at that moment you and Guild mates decide to do some Dungeons.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Err.6519 said:

i strongly recommend joining a guild in this game, as its almost entirely guild-based outside of open world. it only takes one experienced veteran player to take you through all the story dungeons; you don't even need a full party to clear any of them due to powercreep.

i think the lfg is bad for everything in this game, not just dungeons specifically.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

While your concerns are a bit valid OP, I do have a question...
   What Dungeons are you specifically referring to?
   I myself have soloed two such Dungeon's in Story Mode a few times with more than one than one character, and I am nowhere near a top player at all. Besides that though, some of the above suggestions are a great way to go, especially involving joining a Guild. As was also said, Gw2 has a great community overall, and if you ask for help doing a Dungeon "slow and easy", I am sure some will be more than happy to help you out; especially a good Guild you'd join (one that is new player friendly). Like I have said a few times, good communication goes a long way in solving many a issue. Will you always get what you want? Nope, not at all. But like the old song say's, sometimes you'll get what you need. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly if you post "story mode. need help. first time!"

Ask for help and say its your first time. You will get a couple well geared players that will basically destroy the whole dungeon for you and let you watch the cut scenes. I and many other join these groups. Why are you not getting people? LOOK AT GW2 TIMERS. If its during something like dragons end meta.... yeah... you aint getting people. You gota understand that wanting high levels to help may not happen during a large open world event with amazing loot. Just post it. Even type in map chat in lions arch and any guilds you join. 

If you really want to see the cut scenes for story then you can also go on youtube for it. The problem is that most players will totally destroy the dungeons since they are old dead conent that is very easy. So even with help it will move at such a extremely fast speed your experience may not be that great.

Also ask in your guilds if there is any dungeons night for new players. In many cases they will totally run some if there is a want. Dungeons however are kinda dead content from over 10yrs ago. So you may not see any doing them unless you ask. Most guilds will be like "which dungeons? Do you need help? I am bored, invite!"

Edited by ohericoseo.4316
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

it is a lot harder to get anyone to join from LFG if you say you're watching cutscenes.

And "newbie" run is different to different people. Some people think the reward is all that matters and getting it fast is best so they should rush ahead with their good gear and knowledge of the specific mechanics, and figure they're doing it right since they have "carried" the other players. Of course maybe the other players want to play and learn the content. 

Edit: I hadn't read the thread. This is not aimed at any person on the thread. 😎

Edited by willow.8209
  • Confused 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:22 PM, ohericoseo.4316 said:

Also ask in your guilds if there is any dungeons night for new players. In many cases they will totally run some if there is a want. Dungeons however are kinda dead content from over 10yrs ago. So you may not see any doing them unless you ask. Most guilds will be like "which dungeons? Do you need help? I am bored, invite!"

this part is right  🙂 

• Confused 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:03 AM, Linken.6345 said:

new player isn't even going to know why they got kicked. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Err.6519 said:

Cut scenes is on youtube all also. All other i agree. It is hard start dungeons when u dont know how run them. If u (or others) are NA servers and havent nobody who help u run dungeons, contact me in game. We doing regulary dungeon runs for nostalgy. Eu- Na tz

• Sad 1