Please make more engaging story boss encounters

3 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

LMAO!!

The community has spoken, he proclaims.

I've been on GW2 since pre-launch. I have over 6000 hours played, over 7k PVP matches, 13 characters over level 80. GET A GRIP

I see why people complain about all the bots in PvP now lul.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

OP has problem with game
Runs to forums complaining about game/demands changes
Other players ask for more details about problem/suggest solutions
OP gets mad that no one is agreeing to his "logic" and starts insulting people
Seems familiar...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dibit.6259 said:

OP has problem with game
Runs to forums complaining about game/demands changes
Other players ask for more details about problem/suggest solutions
OP gets mad that no one is agreeing to his "logic" and starts insulting people
Seems familiar...

"ThIs CoMmUnItY iSn'T wElCoMiNg At AlL!!!11one1!??" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm not asking for advice. I'm telling you the bosses have too much health and every encounter is designed this way to pad out the playtime. It is mind-numbingly dull the way Anet designs these encounters. Every single one is the same. Hit boss for 5 minutes -> 2 minute segment doing special ability to break bar -> hit boss for another 5 minutes -> kill minion / thing before it heals the boss -> hit the boss again for 5 minutes. It's been like this for like 3 straight expansions. It's like Anet is trying to bore me to death.

"it's not me it's the game"

They are dull because players like you exist. For me and lots of others it is:

hit boss for 10sec -> it phases -> do something or wait for rp to finish -> repeat. Which destroys the immersion because gods and everything just die from looking at them. I can not even finish my opener on most of them.

Do you think anet could add hard boss encounters when most players are doing 1/10th of the dps they could do because they didn't even bother to read their traits? The moment anything with a mechanic gets added the forum is full of complain threads.

Examples for that:

Balthazar, Pof eater of souls, Taimi golemsuit and many more...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

LMAO!!

The community has spoken, he proclaims.

I've been on GW2 since pre-launch. I have over 6000 hours played, over 7k PVP matches, 13 characters over level 80. GET A GRIP

kitten those are some rockie numbers right there I got 15.5k hours an 21 characters to 80 dont play spvp tho

5 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Yes it is.

I  fought a boss, it felt bloated. Felt like it took 30 minutes. Maybe it took less than that in reality, but it was so boring and repetitive that it felt like 30. And skill rotations are so short in GW2 I felt like I went through my full rotation like 50 times, at which point my brain actually starts to hurt.

I understand maybe Anet are super proud of the combat system and want us to use it as much as possible but the amount of combat in story instances is simply excessive. EVERY story instance you are fighting a horde of monsters and likely some HP bloated boss. Sometimes I just want a story less combat focused, but we really don't get enough of that because apparently nobody thinks it's a problem except for me, according to the pro's in here.

Are you sure its not 10 man story content like tower of nightmare or battle for lions arch your trying to do solo?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

kitten those are some rockie numbers right there I got 15.5k hours an 21 characters to 80 dont play spvp tho

Are you sure its not 10 man story content like tower of nightmare or battle for lions arch your trying to do solo?

Tower of Nightmares solo was some of the most fun Ive had in a while, but not fast at all.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's always a "skill issue" when someone criticizes anything about GW2. Next I'll make the statement that the GW2 community is not receptive to feedback and you'll continue to ask for my build so you can verify it.

GW2 content is padded out, and content is repetitive, it's as simple as that. And what's with everything being done in 3's? Burst this thing down 3 times, or do this special attack thingy 3 times, or fight 3 different versions of the same enemy, etc. It's always the same thing, and I can always predict exactly how an encounter is going to play out. I can start any story instance and I'll be there talking with some of my ally characters and then the bad guys always turn up "unexpectedly" and you and your friends have to fight them off. Does all this sound familiar yet? But no, it's my "build" that's the issue. Good one.

You are the one spending 30 minutes bashing their head against storymode bosses and proceed to not just complain about it, but also clearly state you are not looking for any sort of help.
So you are just here to complain, unwilling to understand that if nobody else spends 30 minutes on a boss it might be you and unwilling to take any build advice to possibly remedy that.

That is a skill issue on multiple levels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's always a "skill issue" when someone criticizes anything about GW2. Next I'll make the statement that the GW2 community is not receptive to feedback and you'll continue to ask for my build so you can verify it.

If you're spending 30 minutes on a story boss then it clearly is a skill issue; you are objectively playing the game incorrectly if that is happening. The point of contention isn't that you're unskilled which isn't a failing as long as its just a point on the road to improvement, but that instead of actually trying to improve, you've instead come here to whine at the devs, throw a tantrum with anyone trying to get enough info on the topic to actually help you, and then expect that everything should be dumbed down to your level instead of you having to rise up to meet it.

God it must be frustrating to be a dev for this game. I imagine it must be like trying to create Chess, but every design decision is beholden to people that refuse to learn any piece other than a pawn and will have an emotional breakdown if it's even suggested; inevitably the whole thing just gets dumbed down into being Checkers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have the opposite problem, most of the story content is so easy/powercrept that I have to actively kitten my dps to avoid breaking the encounter and needing to restart (sometimes the whole 10 minute plus mission). This happens most often on bladesworn but I have had it happen on spellbreaker and reaper as well.

Edited by greatwhite.3760
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kiri.1467 said:

I feel this thread is an accurate summary of all the "game is problem not me is problem" threads in the past month.

I feel like this thread is an accurate summary of the Anet fanboy hivemind that exists here on this forum. It's a well known phenomenon, ask anyone who's wise enough to avoid this place.

Nobody paid attention to anything I said. Someone decided to turn the thread into a classroom and you all jumped on the bandwagon and act like you know everything, yet you still fail miserably because you can't help yourselves because you all think the same way.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

If you're spending 30 minutes on a story boss then it clearly is a skill issue; you are objectively playing the game incorrectly if that is happening. The point of contention isn't that you're unskilled which isn't a failing as long as its just a point on the road to improvement, but that instead of actually trying to improve, you've instead come here to whine at the devs, throw a tantrum with anyone trying to get enough info on the topic to actually help you, and then expect that everything should be dumbed down to your level instead of you having to rise up to meet it.

God it must be frustrating to be a dev for this game. I imagine it must be like trying to create Chess, but every design decision is beholden to people that refuse to learn any piece other than a pawn and will have an emotional breakdown if it's even suggested; inevitably the whole thing just gets dumbed down into being Checkers.

Try comprehending the thread topic next time. It's "Make content more engaging", it's not "Make content more easier".

I never said the content was hard or I was having trouble with it. I said it was boring and drawn out longer than it needs to be. If I supposedly "rise up to meet the challenge" like you keep saying, will the content somehow improve because I can get through it faster? Is getting through content faster your idea of improving said content? I'm just trying to understand your logic here, professor. Since you seem to think none of the responsibility is on the developers because you sympathize with them so vehemently.

Also Checkers is more stimulating than some of this GW2 content, which is dumbed down to a game of Simon Says. Checkers is a more mentally stimulating game so it would actually be an upgrade for GW2.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 10

9 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's always a "skill issue" when someone criticizes anything about GW2.

And there is your problem. You are completely ignoring anything besides posting in a forum which is, well, a platform to discuss. Search it up on wikipedia if you don't believe it. But all those players tried to engage and also understand you by asking which boss even took you "30 minutes". You can't expect anything helpful if you aren't cooperative at all and won't accept any other opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

39 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I feel like this thread is an accurate summary of the Anet fanboy hivemind that exists here on this forum. It's a well known phenomenon, ask anyone who's wise enough to avoid this place.

Nobody paid attention to anything I said. Someone decided to turn the thread into a classroom and you all jumped on the bandwagon and act like you know everything, yet you still fail miserably because you can't help yourselves because you all think the same way.

What do you expect when you come in here whining about an issue that is clearly on your end and then attack anyone who tries to ask questions, offer assistance, or disagrees with you in any way?  You invited this with your own behavior.

We paid attention to what you said and there wasn't much there.  You mentioned the bosses having too much HP for a solo player and that it made the fights feel repetitive.  What about this are you struggling to understand?  It's a "you" problem because these bosses don't take long.  If you're taking so long that it feels like an endless slog you're either dying repeatedly, failing to understand the mechanics of the fight, or just dealing extremely low damage.

I'd ask you to cite some specific examples of bosses that you feel have too much HP, but I know you won't do it.  So, to provide some context to this so far pointless rant fest from you, here are a bunch of video clips of story bosses not taking anywhere near 30 minutes to kill.  Are these guys HP sponges?  If not, which bosses are problematic in your opinion?

Balthazar in 3:59.

Caudecus in 1:13.

Molten Furnace Duo in 1:56.

Scruffy 2.0 in 5:45.

Eater of Souls in 0:17.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

What do you expect when you come in here whining about an issue that is clearly on your end and then attack anyone who tries to ask questions, offer assistance, or disagrees with you in any way?  You invited this with your own behavior.

We paid attention to what you said and there wasn't much there.  You mentioned the bosses having too much HP for a solo player and that it made the fights feel repetitive.  What about this are you struggling to understand?  It's a "you" problem because these bosses don't take long.  If you're taking so long that it feels like an endless slog you're either dying repeatedly, failing to understand the mechanics of the fight, or just dealing extremely low damage.

I'd ask you to cite some specific examples of bosses that you feel have too much HP, but I know you won't do it.  So, to provide some context to this so far pointless rant fest from you, here are a bunch of video clips of story bosses not taking anywhere near 30 minutes to kill.  Are these guys HP sponges?  If not, which bosses are problematic in your opinion?

Balthazar in 3:59.

Caudecus in 1:13.

Molten Furnace Duo in 1:56.

Scruffy 2.0 in 5:45.

Eater of Souls in 0:17.

Those kills were also done with a low dps sustain build and not a dps build and they are still far shorter than whatever the op is claiming.

Some of them can bug out if you bring a bladesworn or another hard bursting dps build like slb. I phased some bosses within like 5sec with slb.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Those kills were also done with a low dps sustain build and not a dps build and they are still far shorter than whatever the op is claiming.

Some of them can bug out if you bring a bladesworn or another hard bursting dps build like slb. I phased some bosses within like 5sec with slb.

Liar. It took you 30 minutes.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Zenith.7301 said:

With 6k hours played, on top. Like, how. Not even CM raid fights last more than 7-8 minutes.

And this person is so set against introspection that they will stay this bad and blame the game anyways. The game is not perfect, but 30 minutes on a story boss, hell even 10 minutes on a story boss is such a spectacular display of lacking basic understanding of how the game and your class functions.

Is she running a PVT or shaman's scepter mesmer and choosing not to shatter? A pvt mainhand axe torch ranger? What the hell are you doing to put out this little damage?

I tested it. 

In order to get the dps required to match OP's numbers, I had to play a Warrior with:

- No gear. 

- No traits. 

- No buffs. 

- No skills. 

Only a single Mace with no stats equipped. 

That got me to 452 dps. Which is what OP needs to be doing to kill Dagda in around 30min.

Its almost impossible to get this low dps. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I tested it. 

In order to get the dps required to match OP's numbers, I had to play a Warrior with:

- No gear. 

- No traits. 

- No buffs. 

- No skills. 

That got me to 452 dps. Which is what OP needs to be doing to kill Dagda in around 30min.

I'm assuming they didn't mean literally 30 minutes, but even so it seems pretty clear you should be able to do these bosses in very reasonable amounts of time even with high sustain builds that aren't dealing maximum damage.  The only reason they would feel like health sponges is if you're dying repeatedly, not understanding the mechanics, or dealing extremely low DPS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm assuming they didn't mean literally 30 minutes, but even so it seems pretty clear you should be able to do these bosses in very reasonable amounts of time even with high sustain builds that aren't dealing maximum damage.  The only reason they would feel like health sponges is if you're dying repeatedly, not understanding the mechanics, or dealing extremely low DPS.

OP also claimed to have done 50 skill rotations without killing the boss. 

Even if we assume heavy use of exaggerating. 

Them numbers don't add up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I tested it. 

- No gear. 

- No traits. 

- No buffs. 

- No skills. 

^ This is what the GW2 community does. When someone complains about something in the game they will resort to insulting you and stating that you are a bad player like it's a fact, and will even go to these kinds of lengths to try to humiliate you. Look in the mirror GW2 "veterans", this is the reputation you've made for yourselves. I never recommend GW2 to anyone who's interested in checking out the game because of this toxic community.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm assuming they didn't mean literally 30 minutes, but even so it seems pretty clear you should be able to do these bosses in very reasonable amounts

Who cares anymore? They don't want to talk about anything else and chose to hyperfocus on one thing I said and pretend like their assumptions are fact. They'd rather make sweeping generalizations about my ability as a player than face any kind of negative feedback about the game. It's typical fanboy behavior that you see all the time on subreddits.

The thing is, when it comes down to it I'm a huge fan of GW2. Why else would I have stuck around for 10+ years, and completed most of the content? The difference though is I'm not a white knighting fanboy. I can accept the games shortcomings and even speak out about it. Shocking, I know.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 11

19 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

^ This is what the GW2 community does. When someone complains about something in the game they will resort to insulting you and stating that you are a bad player like it's a fact, and will even go to these kinds of lengths to try to humiliate you. Look in the mirror GW2 "veterans", this is the reputation you've made for yourselves. I never recommend GW2 to anyone who's interested in checking out the game because of this toxic community.

The only reason you don't provide any evidence for your claims is because they could be disproven by a 10y old with a calculator. 

Come on. Tell us which boss took you 30min.

We are all waiting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

You have more gameplay time than me, so technically this is coming from a juniour to a senior. The guy went out of his way to list those things because so far you are the one passing the blame around. You've been making everything else but yourself the problem since the first moment someone tried to help, because they triggered your defense mechanism. Take a step back and read what you wrote again. Your initial complaint of bosses taking too long to kill is not a real thing. Don't resort to hyperboles if you are trying to give feedback, I'm sure, at least I hope, no solo story boss took you 30 minutes to kill. But you also need to start giving some actual responses instead of attacking the playerbase. What boss did you kill and how long did it take you to kill it that you made that statement?

Another important point for your feedback would be not moving the goalpost. Stick to your initial claim, don't go rogue on the conversation. Your argument that all things being done in 3s and thus making certain things boring would have been a legitimate feedback if you offered it initially and lead with something like gyala delve meta boss. Mechanics that are needlessly meant to increase the engagement time exist in this game, but story bosses aren't one of them. Also do keep in mind that some of these exist as a sort of a band-aid to prevent meta bosses becoming absolute jokes like dragonstand meta, powercreep rendered that epic fight an absolute joke.

Also, not all criticism is an attack. For instance, my initial comment was indeed 100% ridiculing you, which I believe was well deserved after what I had to read. Meanwhile, people kept trying to actually help you but you got defensive, so they started having fun with the thread instead. What did you expect to happen when people literally did the math to prove that your initial claim was unfeasible, if not outright impossible. And yet you continued to keep moving the goalpost or try to alter your initial statement to make it fit instead of taking a moment to realize, maybe, just maybe, you need to look into your own gameplay or decisionmaking.

Try to remain consistent with your statements as well. You can't say things like "rotations are too short, I go through 50 rotations on a boss" when it takes you ridiculous amounts of time to kill a single story boss. Pressing 2 is not a rotation for instance, which is the only realistic way for you to be able to do 50 "rotations" before a boss dies, which is exactly what the guy had to prove because you were not listening to a single response and just burying your head in the ground. 

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7