Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

10 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Holy christ on a stick, unlocking relics/stats is one of the easiest things to do, if you think that's a grind then for your own sanity please find another game to play.

To remind you this is what we had to do for the most recent relics.

Relic of the Midnight King - complete the latest story chapter...

Relic of Nayos - do the new map meta once, start to finish...

Relic of Karakosa - kill the Sorrow story boss in the time limit... (it's not hard)

Relic of the Demon Queen - kill Heitor story boss without being downed... (not difficult)

Relic of Nourys - do 10 convergences...

Or you could just pick them up from the WvW/PvP reward track.

With the exception of Nourys, all of these could be easily done on day one of the new content, the convergences are the only one even remotely approaching being in the same ballpark as a grind, in that you have to do the event more than once.

Get a grip seriously.

Waa waa crybaby confused emote

I find it incredibly ironic how you claim that "unlocking relics/stats is one of the easiest things to do, if you think that's a grind then for your own sanity please find another game to play", and then, in the very same post, quote a relic that cannot be easily done on day one of the new content. "With the exception of Nourys, all of these could be easily done on day one of the new content."

Like, I don't have to point out that e.g. Demon Queen could take a nontrivial amount of time for people who never do the story, because you've refuted your own argument for me. Am I getting trolled? 😕

Edited by Jeydra.4386
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

I find it incredibly ironic how you claim that "unlocking relics/stats is one of the easiest things to do, if you think that's a grind then for your own sanity please find another game to play", and then, in the very same post, quote a relic that cannot be easily done on day one of the new content. "With the exception of Nourys, all of these could be easily done on day one of the new content."

Like, I don't have to point out that e.g. Demon Queen could take a nontrivial amount of time for people who never do the story, because you've refuted your own argument for me. Am I getting trolled? 😕

They can then do the wvw or spvp track instead of story tho.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:51 PM, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

I didn't craft the 7th thinking it would get me a free relic.  I crafted the 7th thinking it would get me significant progress because ANet said it would, months ago.  Turns out that was a lie, I didn't need to craft the 7th rune at all, because even a single rune was enough.

I took action based on what ANet said in an official announcement.  ANet then changed their minds, invalidating the action I took based on their official announcement.

That's the problem.

What other "progress" can they give you. You get 100% of a relic. Did you want to only get 70% of a relic? Or are you more concerned that people who craft 1 rune get the same progress you do? Because that sounds like a YOU issue comparing yourself to others. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's the difference, i guess. I do not see Relics as rewards. I see gearing up as preparation i need to get done before i'll start playing for rewards (and fun). What they are about to do, i see as the very "preparing to have fun" thing they once promised GW2 will not be about.

This.

Gearing up, for me at least, is work, not play. Play is when I do content on a fully geared character. Now I do recognize the need to work in order to be able to play...computer, internet connection, and the game itself were not free. I had to work to be able to purchase them. But increasing the amount of work I might need to put in before I can begin to play slowly changes the dynamic of how I spend my free time. If the ratio of work to play grows too imbalanced then I might as well get a second job and earn more money for my family, retirement, whatever.

As of right now the balance between work and play is in a good spot. It tilted a bit toward work when I got my legendaries, but tilted back after. It helped that I acquired the necessary components and gold without really even thinking about switching from ascended to legendary. Too many alterations to the way legendary gear works going forward, such as with relics, will put me in a position where I have to reevaluate how much time I am spending working vs playing this game.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

I see what you mean.

But the question is, is this good or bad?
I mean, if you want to play certain builds (like meta builds) you will only want certain relics, like 3 or 4. Not all 150.
If you want other relics, you can just get them. You don't need to get all 150.

For what reason do I need a legendary relic, then? If I have 3-4 builds, that need 3-4 of the new relics, and I have to go fetch them, legendary relic or no?

Might as well get the relics as they are, then drop them when the new expansion is released, and so on and so on.

I dont even want to comment on the precedents that are being set here, what repeating crap like that means for the game. Subpar content to threadmill games and moving to a threadmill structure? No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I want to add a little caveat to my statement that I am fine getting future Relics via the PvP/WvW reward tracks:
That only works for me, if those tracks include the complete amount of availabe new Relics.

I am saying that, because the current form SotO tracks is an incomplete one when it comes to getting map currencies (Secrets of the Obscure Reward Track - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)). It covers Static Charges, Stardust, Eagle Eye and Skyforged weapons. It does not cover Calcified Gasps and Saryx weapons - and whatever map currency and collection weapon we might get from the last map that comes with the next patch. Right now, the Amnytas Gear Box at the end of the track has been updated with new Relics, but will that happen in corresponding next expansion, too ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cimex.8179 said:

Hi anet...

nice to hear that you kittened us over by telling us to craft that useless 7th rune... you can have it back, just refund that 500 - 600 gold thanks....

They never said you needed 7 runes what ever significant progress meant it  could have been anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

14 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The content involving it is though.

14 hours ago, Captain Harlock.1568 said:

I mean there is aquatic headgear but with how limited water combat is they might as well just remove the rune slot off of them and treat it like an accessory... 

If they considered under water combat obsolete, they shouldn't have crafted the 7th rune to begin with.

1 hour ago, Cimex.8179 said:

Hi anet...

nice to hear that you kittened us over by telling us to craft that useless 7th rune... you can have it back, just refund that 500 - 600 gold thanks....

You want anet to refund you because you misread and they are giving you a better deal then you were getting originally?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

The reason people are getting upset about this is the same reason that they've been upset at every stage of this debacle. Because it's pretty clear that ANET didn't think this through properly, didn't communicate properly, and are shifting the goalposts at every stage. It makes people wonder what else they might change. It's also concerning that at every stage that they try and fix the previous mess of their own making, they fix it in a way that introduces new problems. That makes them look less than competent, and again undermines the faith of the players.

Someone earlier in this thread clarified why the changed "legendary" functionality of the relic upset me personally. Because part of the benefit of putting the effort and time into getting full legendary was really taking advantage of the lack of FOMO it brings. You could walk away from this game for 5 years, and come back and your gear is ready to go with the latest and best stats. You then have 5 years of relevant content to play that you can pick and choose from, doing what you enjoy. Now, with this change you'll come back and have a relic missing 5 years worth of option that you'll have to unlock. And presumably any other new legendaries that they'll introduce will work the same way as this new one. It's breaking the model they've run with since the start for legendaries, and not in a way that's good for the players.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see them walk this back as well, after the backlash. They aren't thinking through the implications of what they're doing properly, they aren't anticipating the impact on players and their likely response. The whole thing feels really amateurish to me, and the more times they compound their initial error, the worse it gets.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, MLinni.6109 said:

Yes, imo.  You can still use it on any character. Just unlock every new relic and it will be there to use on any character. I would start complaining if they'd gate keep any new relics behind unreasonable requirements. But if it's just doing the story or completing reward tracks, I don't have a problem with it.

Part of that 100% functionality is that your legendary updates its available combos regardless of story / achievements completed .

So  without being 100% legendary as in having 100% benefits that every other legendary item has , it should be called anything but legendary because it doesn't have the same properties as every single legendary item before this .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Important question that I don’t think had been addressed explicitly yet: will accounts that don’t own SOTO be able to get the legendary relic?

I.e. if I craft a legendary rune on an account that has HoT, PoF and EoD but not SotO will I get the free legendary relic with the next patch?

I would have assumed yes, since relics are a core feature, but I don’t want to invest 100s of gold without actually being sure. Could we get a confirmation please, @Rubi Bayer.8493

(I do apologise in case this has already been addressed, but I couldn’t find an answer in the article or via the forum search)

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

They never said you needed 7 runes what ever significant progress meant it  could have been anything.

They explicitly said 6 runes > 7 and that they wanted to reward 7 for the extra effort (someone quoted it earlier in the thread). Many players would have crafted that 7th rune in response to the official statement telling them that it would be beneficial to do so. The first 6 runes were worth the cost to me. That 7th really isn't, especially after moving the 6th rune bonus over to relics. That was the entire point of the 7th rune, to keep that bonus.

5 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

You want anet to refund you because you misread and they are giving you a better deal then you were getting originally?

That's just it. Nothing was misread. And it's not a "better deal". The statement from anet was very black and white (which they don't do often). It was disappointing at the time, since many felt like 6/7 should have been enough. The official response (I can't stress the "official" part enough) was that crafting the 7th rune was going to be to our benefit. It is very much not.

Now 4-500 gold isn't much in the long run, but there are a number of higher priority expenditures I'd have went for if this was going to be the outcome.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, idpersona.3810 said:

They explicitly said 6 runes > 7 and that they wanted to reward 7 for the extra effort (someone quoted it earlier in the thread). Many players would have crafted that 7th rune in response to the official statement telling them that it would be beneficial to do so. The first 6 runes were worth the cost to me. That 7th really isn't, especially after moving the 6th rune bonus over to relics. That was the entire point of the 7th rune, to keep that bonus.

Well, I didn't craft the 7th. You know why? Because I understand what "compensation (partial)" means. The runes don't have bonus effects, which they had at the moment many (most) of the players crafted them. The relic takes away the bonus effect and so the compensation was supposed to sweeten the blow. It was not some investement deal, so people who tried to play the system and go for the greedy double-dip by crafting 7 -or even just 7th rune they didn't want- only have themselves to blame.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

They explicitly said 6 runes > 7 and that they wanted to reward 7 for the extra effort

I understand the frustration that you put in more gold/effort than you needed to for the relic, based on the original announcements from the GW2 team. At the same time, there was never any guarantee that the value from the 7th legendary rune would be worth the cost to craft it. If each 4-500g rune had granted, let's say 20g worth of progress toward a 500g cost for the legendary relic, it would've satisfied the terms of the official statements, but would you have been happy with it?

2 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

And it's not a "better deal".

Yes and no? If you don't want all 7 runes then yeah, it's a worse deal than if you had stopped at 1-6. That being said, the end result if Anet had kept to the previous announcements would've been 7 legendary runes and an unknown amount of progress toward the legendary relic, compared to 7 runes and the full relic with how it works now, so a better deal in that sense. 

I'm not a huge fan of how the relic system has been handled overall, and I have mixed feelings on the future unlocks for the legendary. And I can sympathize with anyone who crafted a full set of 7 runes expecting more compensation, but ultimately, they chose to do so with incomplete information. The option was always there to collect the material and wait for Anet to clarify what compensation would actually look like.

Edited by Effrafax.2734
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Wouldnt that be better solved with exciting new rewards rather than taking functionality away from an old tier of gear?

It would, but new stats etc. have to be available for non legy users as well and I think it only makes sense to require at least a bit of work to get them.

10 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

For what reason do I need a legendary relic, then? If I have 3-4 builds, that need 3-4 of the new relics, and I have to go fetch them, legendary relic or no?

I mean, it's the same question for all legendary items. You only use a handful of stats, runes and sigils.
So the question "do I need a legendary" is not limited to the new legy relic and it's way to get new effects. It affects all legies.

10 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I dont even want to comment on the precedents that are being set here, what repeating crap like that means for the game. Subpar content to threadmill games and moving to a threadmill structure? No thanks.

Nobody says that new relic effects will be better than old ones and you have to replace them.

Look at stats, Berzerker is in the game since release and still meta for power builds. Condi builds only really became a thing after viper stats came into the game. Same for Harrier and healer roles. Other niches like boon dps also developed with release of good fitting stats. Same for runes and sigils.
And even for relics it's the same. Core relics are the way to go for 99% of all builds.

16 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's the difference, i guess. I do not see Relics as rewards. I see gearing up as preparation i need to get done before i'll start playing for rewards (and fun). What they are about to do, i see as the very "preparing to have fun" thing they once promised GW2 will not be about.

Well, that's a matter of opinion I think.

However, when looking at Soto relics for Anet they (unlocking them) indeed seem to be rewards.
Many of them already are locked behind achievements.

With that said, like with all gear, there are always options. Most meta relics are part of the core set and even if we get new ones later (just like stats, runes etc.) they will always be there and not getting worse only because a better fitting option exists.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

With that said, like with all gear, there are always options. Most meta relics are part of the core set and even if we get new ones later (just like stats, runes etc.) they will always be there and not getting worse only because a better fitting option exists.

You might want to check that again. Especially anything that's not a power dps build.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, kiroho.4738 said:

I mean, it's the same question for all legendary items. You only use a handful of stats, runes and sigils.

So the question "do I need a legendary" is not limited to the new legy relic and it's way to get new effects. It affects all legies.

No, it isnt. New whatever content drops, I want to try some newly possible build, I do some menu clicking and I start playing the build. That is what legendary is.

I dont first unlock XYZ from the new content and then get to play the build.

I invested a ton of time to get full legendary, I get to play whatever I want in the game. Or so I thought the deal was, when I started investing hundreds (or thousands?) of hours into getting full legendary. It was in fact the best MMO feature I had seen, grind once heavily and you are done with the gear grind.

If I knew this legendary relic fiasco was coming, I would've just spent my time in other games. Which is what I'll be doing from now on. Whats the point of getting whatever remaining weapons I dont have (2nd gs, 2nd staff, 3rd and 4th swords, etc.), after seeing this change in philosophy? Already I stopped playing when they announced relics and that we'd have to wait half an year or more for the legendary relic to be ingame. I recently started farming resources again to be sure I can get the relic when its available, apparently I shouldnt have bothered.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

It would, but new stats etc. have to be available for non legy users as well and I think it only makes sense to require at least a bit of work to get them.

In my experience acquiring legendaries requires more than a bit of work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, humfrid.2615 said:

Important question that I don’t think had been addressed explicitly yet: will accounts that don’t own SOTO be able to get the legendary relic?

I.e. if I craft a legendary rune on an account that has HoT, PoF and EoD but not SotO will I get the free legendary relic with the next patch?

I would have assumed yes, since relics are a core feature, but I don’t want to invest 100s of gold without actually being sure. Could we get a confirmation please, @Rubi Bayer.8493

(I do apologise in case this has already been addressed, but I couldn’t find an answer in the article or via the forum search)

Well since Anet did not say you have to have SotO to get legendary relic.

They only said you have to have 1 legedary rune so by that information you will get a legendary relic bud.

I don’t think unlocking the relics in the future will be a huge deal. If it is anything like soto, those expac relics will be unlocked just playing the story, maps and content as you progress the achievements. You still get freedom of swapping after the fact, and use on as many characters as you want. People just don’t want to play the game lol. You can quit now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4