Useless drops

2 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Don't forget that the game we play is a live software service with global availability and a massive physical infrastructure component to support that. "The game" that we login to and (usually) enjoy is a lot more than just the pixels on the screen; it's a massive and complex e-commerce, information processing and user-account management system running on 24/7/365 uptime.

I work in software developement, I know how software work.

No matter how large or complex, in the end it's still a machine -> you make an input you get an output. It's not possible to get different outputs on the same input.

It's entirely possible that account errors exist due to any number of potential causes, and if two accounts seem to be linked in some way that you don't understand, that doesn't make it suspect. A simple explanation for that is that both of those accounts could simply have been purchased on the same credit card in the same session. I don't know, and neither do you.

Sorry dude, but that's kinda esoteric.
There is no "link between whatever you just don't understand". There are databases and software that fills and reads these databases.

If there is anything wrong with how the account luck data set is stored, it would affect a large amount of players. Not only 2 out of hundreds of thousands. And hell it wouldn't happen to the same person seven times but to nobody else. That's not how software work.

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The vast majority of people encountering a bug will neither use the bug report option nor come to the forums to report it. Even if they do use the in game bug report option the existence of the bug will not necessarily be communicated to the player base as a whole.

My point is that we do not know that the "bug" in question only affected those two people.

There are hundred of thousands of players active on the gw2 subreddit and who knows how many here. There are large communities and guilds talking with each other, there are map chats where people talk with each other.

And yet nobody talked about this "bug" FOR NINE YEARS except this one person now? This person who provides nothing but a claim after all by the way.

I've read a lot of "bugs" only one person had that turned out as a user issue or missinformation. That's a rather common thing.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Not necessarily.

I'm not taking sides here, but you zeroing in on the user and concluding that there is a "clear sign" the person is the problem ignores a wide range of other possibilities.

Don't forget that the game we play is a live software service with global availability and a massive physical infrastructure component to support that. "The game" that we login to and (usually) enjoy is a lot more than just the pixels on the screen; it's a massive and complex e-commerce, information processing and user-account management system running on 24/7/365 uptime.

It's entirely possible that account errors exist due to any number of potential causes, and if two accounts seem to be linked in some way that you don't understand, that doesn't make it suspect. A simple explanation for that is that both of those accounts could simply have been purchased on the same credit card in the same session. I don't know, and neither do you.

Don't ignore the very real possibility of weird account problems and blame the user. Yes, user error is absolutely unavoidable and is often the cause of all kinds of errors and misunderstandings. But just because it's common doesn't make it the only possibility.

/IT_support_guy

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The vast majority of people encountering a bug will neither use the bug report option nor come to the forums to report it. Even if they do use the in game bug report option the existence of the bug will not necessarily be communicated to the player base as a whole.

My point is that we do not know that the "bug" in question only affected those two people.

What we know though is that he's unwilling to provide anything that could prove it either way. If he was sure it is indeed a fact, he'd probably do it instead of saying that it totally happened to him 7 times 9 years ago, at the same time it happened to his friend except it... didn't happen to anyone else? Because if it was that frequent then as much as "not everyone reports a bug", plenty of people sure would.

So I quickly looked for it, there's a mention of someone's magic find resetting 8 years ago. Soon after OP of that thread corrected himself and said he thought he has 5% now, but he has 51% and just didn't notice "1". Yup, literally the one thread there was. So it sure is better to claim "his reality is correct!" and there really is no reason to touch magic find because it keeps resetting. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 8

I accept getting crappy, useless things and move on.

Yes, it's annoying, especially the things you can drag directly from your inventory into the void to delete.

Or the bag-ception you experience.

It's a small, certainly somewhat annoying, price to pay.

When I returned to GW2 after a 7 year break, I was pissed off about that too, the waste of time, resources and space. All on my expense.
All the blood dust and stuff I got long before I could even afford to level crafting and use that crap.... it overfilled the inventories of two of my chars.
And I complained on the forums too, but nothing has changed in the last 3-4 years.

So, accept it.

Throw the crap away, either straight into the trading post for someone else to deal with, or out of your inventory (or to the vendor/merchant). The most annoying things are the ones you can't salvage, can't sell, can't trade and have no use for xD

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:00 PM, Quasidivine.2591 said:

What I mean is that I have gotten to 140 magic find and it has reset to zero

7 times in a row.

That is rather unlikely.

Please check your Hero Panel, you will find the value in the bottom right corner of the Achievements tab.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

No matter how large or complex, in the end it's still a machine -> you make an input you get an output. It's not possible to get different outputs on the same input.

🤣 You've clearly never had to do much client-side support then. As for the account linkages that you don't understand, that's hardly esoteric, that's a matter of network access security. Do you have full administrative access to the ANet user account database, including purchase transaction details? No? Then you don't understand all of the possible linkages that could exist. I've seen some pretty weird issue reports that I was almost certain were user error, but they went up the support chain anyway and ultimately turned out to be some weird issue that arose either when the account was created, or during some later modification, and which only the admins had the necessary access to even see.

All I was pointing out is that just because user error is the most likely explanation doesn't make it the only one, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

OP said the luck reset happened 7 times 9 years ago.  That presumably means it hasn't happened in the last 9 years.  It's possible there was an issue and that at least some people reported it and it got fixed.  I do have some follow-up questions for OP:

@OP: 
How much have you played since the last time your luck reset?  If you got to 140 7 times inside of a couple years or so that would mean you had consumed enough essences that it should have gotten you to around 247 luck.  I've been playing since day 0 and I'm only at 208 from essences.  Where is your luck now?  Also, I know for sure if I wouldv'e had this issue I definitely would have opened a support ticket and I definitely would remember that I did.

As far as the junk, I think everyone would agree that it's an annoying pain but you just deal with it.  I will delete stuff that isn't worth selling.

7 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

I have seen software behave in all sorts of inconsistent and illogical ways. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Rewards are just to make money on the TP. I am not really a fan but most things you can just buy with gold. Even ascended gear and some legendary weapons. The rewards are to be used to make you money. The game does not really care about how you did a dungeon and wanted a boss specific item drop. This is why a lot of stuff gets skipped because there is nothing specific from doing said thing you can not get from doing something else. 
Other then some acheivment stuff. Loot is rarely if ever exciting in gw2. Its the acheivments you go for. The general loot even from a boss is boring. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Dude, again, another stranger trying to determine my reality... Just because you have never had the game crash, doesn't mean no one else hasn't. I am telling you of 2 people's experience. Magi find went from 140 to 0 .I am also not talking about the luck experience bar, I have been playing for 9 years. Like I get it, you are skeptical, but errors happen, so do glitches. This game has glitched out many times, sometimes in my favour, sometimes not. That was in the early days, back before the game got hacked and the hackers gave everyone 100 gold. If you don't even remember that, then maybe ppl shouldn't be commenting on what things were like. Just the same, not trying to sound defensive, 9 years ago I wasn't screen shotting everything because someone a decade later might not believe me. I was playing the game and well, that was my experience.

Of course errors happen. Everyone has had the game crash on them. I'm pretty sure everyone has had rollbacks happen. But you are literally the only person I have ever heard of who has said their Luck reset at all, let alone 7 times. You also originally said your Luck reset, not your Magic Find. I know you're going to swear up and down that it happened, but it really just does not sound like that is the case here. It sounds like pure misunderstanding or misremembering. And I've been playing for nearly 12 years now. I have absolutely zero memory of any game-wide hacking incident where everyone got 100 gold from hackers.

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I don't disagree the GW2 loot system lacks the excitement of other systems. However I think I prefer this system. It's slow but the currency and crafting components come at a decent enough pace that I can plan when I'd get my rewards. There are still some fun drops, skins, ect to make loot interesting but they are rare.

After playing WoW for 10+ years though I am tired of the "hope the item drops and hope its my turn" kind of loot style. Being able to slowly build an Ascended or Legendary item has a nice feel to it. I know it's not for everyone but that satisfaction of making something I've been working for is so nice. I also love that I don't have to grind this game at all. I can play any thing I want anywhere and still be building it. Sure there are more efficient paths but that doesn't matter to me.  I can see how this loot system can confuse or dishearten players used to other systems. A lot of the loot is unidentified piles, rare but non-upgrade items, or crafting materials that vanish into the void of storage. The stuff is there, you can profit off it, but if you aren't aware, it does feel hollow. 

So how can it be fixed for people like you? More obvious how currency is spent and turned into rewards. Better more front facing collection giving players more obvious goals. The loot system is one of those things GW2 does to be the Anti-WoW. So overall I don't think it's going to change much. But I'll ask you, how often do you need to see a drop to feel it's there? How powerful should the item be to make it satisfying? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

🤣 You've clearly never had to do much client-side support then. As for the account linkages that you don't understand, that's hardly esoteric, that's a matter of network access security. Do you have full administrative access to the ANet user account database, including purchase transaction details? No? Then you don't understand all of the possible linkages that could exist. I've seen some pretty weird issue reports that I was almost certain were user error, but they went up the support chain anyway and ultimately turned out to be some weird issue that arose either when the account was created, or during some later modification, and which only the admins had the necessary access to even see.

All I was pointing out is that just because user error is the most likely explanation doesn't make it the only one, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

I can only repeat myself.
A bug that affect only two players and one of them seven times in nine years?
The only similar case is a bug report 8 years ago where a player claimed the same issue -> a reset of their MF. And that one turned out - surprise - as a user issue. They read the numbers wrong.
No screenshots or anything else that proofs OP's case a bug and not a wrong interpreted UI element or such?
OP made this claim and completely went radio silent when it comes to any information. All they gave us was the claim "My MF got resetted 7 times in a row".

Do you seriously interpret this information as "yes, that's definitely something wrong with the game nobody understand!"? Oooff...

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

I have seen software behave in all sorts of inconsistent and illogical ways. 

And have you seen a software being absolutely consistent and fine for hundreds of thousands of users for 9 years, but freaking out for two users and one of them 7 times?

Because that's what OP claims.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:19 AM, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Random dude trying to determine my reality because....? It was like 9 years ago dude. I ain't got no screen shots, and I have never had any response from a ticket in that entire time playing this game......though most likely I did try to report it. A friend of mine who was also playing also had it happen to him and he just quit because of it. So I don't know what to tell you. I can recap my experience, and you don't have to believe it. Regardless that has like literally nothing to do with the useless items subject so like, there is that.

9 years ago still had the current luck system with consuming luck to gain points towards permanent magicfind.  If your magic find was resetting, it was likely due to magicfind boosts from guild,  food, and boosters.  You could get an item booster, a magic find booster, and some food to get the same (or similar) effect of gaining 140% magicfind and losing it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

9 years ago still had the current luck system with consuming luck to gain points towards permanent magicfind.  If your magic find was resetting, it was likely due to magicfind boosts from guild,  food, and boosters.  You could get an item booster, a magic find booster, and some food to get the same (or similar) effect of gaining 140% magicfind and losing it.

Thought that way initially, but he specifically mentioned it resetting to zero, which is, let's just say, not very likely (the first few percentage points of MF are extremely easy to get, someone with base MF of zero is likely not playing this game at all).

At this point it's quite clear to me that @Quasidivine.2591 is remembering something wrong, and the most likely cause is that what he remembers is luck progress bar resetting, not actual MF value.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Expecting immediately useful item drops in GW2 does predictably leads to disappointment because it does not.

The whole point of GW2 economy is processing drops/node resources into materials into higher tier materials into useful items that are sold on TP or worn.

It is the same system that EVE Online, the titan of the economic simulation games, uses and this is one reason why GW2 is so popular.

It also saves on anxiously waiting/praying for a drop and getting disappointed again and again ad nauseum.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Thought that way initially, but he specifically mentioned it resetting to zero, which is, let's just say, not very likely (the first few percentage points of MF are extremely easy to get, someone with base MF of zero is likely not playing this game at all).

Tbf, most likey OP is just not accurate on that. I don't think it was exactly 140 either. OP probably just rounded numbers for the sake of clarity.
Plus they said it was 9 years ago, so they probably don't remember the exact numbers.

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

At this point it's quite clear to me that @Quasidivine.2591 is remembering something wrong, and the most likely cause is that what he remembers is luck progress bar resetting, not actual MF value.

This.
My first thought is that OP mixed up the actuall MF value with the luck progression value. The luck resets every time it's full, so it would fit perfectly into what OP described.
Second thought is boosts. Using a boost without reading or food and your MF get's bumped, but "resets" after they run out.
Silverwastes gives 30% magic find for each event done and stack up to 150%. You loose that buff and your MF "resets" whenever you leave the map. This comes pretty close to what OP describes. Silverwastes was the latest content 9 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seems a whole lot of you have a hard time taking a statement for face value and would rather superimpose your own belief over what I have stated. The number was in fact, yes, 140. No  I was not looking at the luck progression bar as it reset. I was looking at achievements which displays the number I refer to there. 9 Years ago does not mean I forgot a number which occurred several times, to the point I made sure to watch that number once I began to get close. Lastly, no one expects useful items immediately. I have never stated that is what I was doing. Your projection is both false and wholly inaccurate. What I am expecting after 9 years of playing, is a greater sense of reward for my efforts, and this game is failing to deliver.

• Confused 11

No matter how large or complex, in the end it's still a machine -> you make an input you get an output. It's not possible to get different outputs on the same input.............Really now. So If areanet policy allowed, I could tell you about an in game glitch at the end of one of the dragon fights. I could tell you . about something you just stated could never happen, but I am forbidden to. None the less it is an error I have replicated if for nothing else the satisfaction of doing so. If computers and programming were error free 100% of the time, then that would indeed be a fine world to live in. That stated, a fair number of you seem to have lost the point of my post. Repeated useless drops are killing this game. It's the same thing over and over again. If you don't believe me about my luck, fine, don't I really do not care, but at least have the presence of mind to stay on topic?

• Confused 7

33 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Seems a whole lot of you have a hard time taking a statement for face value and would rather superimpose your own belief over what I have stated. The number was in fact, yes, 140. No  I was not looking at the luck progression bar as it reset. I was looking at achievements which displays the number I refer to there. 9 Years ago does not mean I forgot a number which occurred several times, to the point I made sure to watch that number once I began to get close. Lastly, no one expects useful items immediately. I have never stated that is what I was doing. Your projection is both false and wholly inaccurate. What I am expecting after 9 years of playing, is a greater sense of reward for my efforts, and this game is failing to deliver.

You claim you started expecting it and because of that you kept focusing on the number to -lets say- "catch the reset" but you still don't have a single screenshot (or maybe pair of screenshots) of that happening nor had a support ticket about it. Yeah, nah. Didn't happen.

"Luck" values required for each MF % btw:
12% -120 luck
13% -120
14% -120
15% -130
16% -130
17% -140
18% -150
19% -150
For now it definitely seems you were looking at luck bar and didn't understand what you're seeing. It's ok.

PS. 11th character birthday here, like other posters in this thread, I also didn't receive the "100 gold some hacker sent to everyone".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

People need to stop asking for screenshots.  It has been established that there are no screenshots.  The lack of screenshots doesn't prove it didn't happen and dismissing it because there are no screenshots is really just gaslighting.   It is definitely fair for people to be skeptical about the claim but I think a lot of people are being way to harsh and dismissive.

15 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

And have you seen a software being absolutely consistent and fine for hundreds of thousands of users for 9 years, but freaking out for two users and one of them 7 times?

Because that's what OP claims.

That question is to pointed and too specific.  The point is that I have seen a lot of very odd things with a lot of different software.  I've seen lots of bugs in GW2.  You don't have to believe it but that doesn't prove it didn't happen.  I'm not saying I believe it, it does seem very far fetched, but I'm not blindly dismissing it.   OP said it happened to them and a friend.  That doesn't mean it only happened to two people.

2 hours ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

I'm trying to give you benefit of doubt but there's a lot about you're story that doesn't make sense.  It doesn't make sense that you don't seem to remember if you reported it.  As big a deal as this seems to be I would think you'd remember if you created a support ticket.  I would be surprised if anyone with this issue didn't create a ticket.  Can you answer any of the questions I asked before?  How much MF do you have now from luck?  Based on the rate you were consuming luck 9 years ago you should easily be maxed out by now even if you've been consuming luck at a slower rate since then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

It doesn't make sense that you don't seem to remember if you reported it. ...........This is what I am talking about with people projecting what they believe on to my statement. I never made a statement about error reporting this event. I merely said that any time that I had error reported in the past, no results came of it. In fact 9 years ago, I was new to the game, my understanding the inner working of things like error reporting were fractional at best. It doesn't mean I didn't understand some things however. That said, no, I did not know what error reporting was as I was very new to the game. I can tell you however the exact location I was standing at the time it happened the very first time. I was in harathi hinterlands, in junction camp standing where the hill by the front entry, ( Right in front of the armorsmith).  Not directed at you, but imagine if no one could remember what happened to them 9 years ago or more. You would forget how to talk, to walk....just because it is a long time ago, doesn't mean that ppl do not remember it correctly...but again I digress. My post was about too many useless items remember?

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

You claim you got your MF to 140% nine times and it reset to zero every time. That means you achieved 1260% MF in a very short time. I think that's what I'm having trouble with. After playing continuously for 11 years, I've made it to 225%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

You claim you got your MF to 140% nine times and it reset to zero every time. That means you achieved 1260% MF in a very short time. I think that's what I'm having trouble with. After playing continuously for 11 years, I've made it to 225%.

Mf % doesnt increase linearly with luck gain.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

In fact 9 years ago, I was new to the game, my understanding the inner working of things like error reporting were fractional at best.

So close to understanding that... you were new and didn't understand things.
Again, doubt the "140" is a conincidence. You probably looked at luck bar and thought it's "resetting" when instead it was progressing your magic find.

Spoiler

"Luck" values required for each MF % btw:
12% -120 luck
13% -120
14% -120
15% -130
16% -130
17% -140
18% -150
19% -150
For now it definitely seems you were looking at luck bar and didn't understand what you're seeing. It's ok.

Anyways, the bottomg line is: magic find didn't and doesn't reset.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1