Useless drops

By all that is good......why? Why do we have these useless things in the game?  The drops in this game are becoming pointless. You get a bag after killing a really hard boss, you open it and you get..........another bag...well this could still be good right? Like at least I got a few.....oh, bloodstone dust....with that first bag. Pfft don't be negative, this next bag is sure to have something useful right? Open second bag that spawned from 1st bag...oh wait, some congealed putrid...ahhh for fudge sakes! Ok well at least it dropped another bag. Maybe if I open that one.....eyes of kormir and a blue unidentified bag. Rage quits........................... So how many of us players can identify with this experience? Opening bag after bag after bag after bag only to get crap crap crap and oh yes....more crap. Arenanet has spent soo much time balancing this game that they have just about balanced the reward right out of this game. Now hold up, I know there are some of you in there in the back, going oh but I got this orange exotic out of a blue bag last week...well good for you........That doesn't really add anything to me or the 100,000 players who didn't get something out of the bag. I don't know about you, but in 9 years of playing, I can count the number of ascended items dropping from a fractal on 1 hand. Orange exotics used to be worth something, and well getting those is like a 1/week of constant playing worth of effort. Now they are almost the same as yellow rares. Oh but wait I still hear someone in the back yelling, oh you gotta go on event world trains....Except yeah no, If I can't hit anything I don't get  any chance at a million, reward. But what about your luck? Well bypassing the fact mine has reset 7 times since I started playing there really doesn't seem to be much point into raising it with the extreme costs involved via luck gobbling. So what now? What could we possibly do? What could fix this major area of contention for myself and many many other players?

Well how about when we do some exceedingly hard boss or world event we are guaranteed a decent item. If not an improved chance at ascended, how about guaranteed drop of an item to create better items in the forge? I am so sick and tired of eyes of kormir I could pull my eyes out...Not literally of course, but opening bag and chest after chest only to get mundane blue items is really REALLY getting old.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Well bypassing the fact mine has reset 7 times since I started playing there really doesn't seem to be much point into raising it with the extreme costs involved via luck gobbling.

What do you mean, "your Luck has reset"? Magic Find can only be increased, it never resets.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

What I mean is that I have gotten to 140 magic find and it has reset to zero

7 times in a row.

Screenshots or never happened. And if indeed true, open a support ticket and make a thread in bug subforum.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 9
  • Confused 2

Random dude trying to determine my reality because....? It was like 9 years ago dude. I ain't got no screen shots, and I have never had any response from a ticket in that entire time playing this game......though most likely I did try to report it. A friend of mine who was also playing also had it happen to him and he just quit because of it. So I don't know what to tell you. I can recap my experience, and you don't have to believe it. Regardless that has like literally nothing to do with the useless items subject so like, there is that.

• Confused 23

I haven't heard of magic find resetting that way. If you haven't already, you should probably file a bug report and talk to customer service about that. Not that magic find seems to be all that significant these days. Mine is maxed out at 300 something and I haven't noticed any significant increase in fancy drops from that. 

OP, while  I agree with you about the amount of garbage that drops as well as the irritation at opening bags within bags, individual drops are not where I am looking for rewards. I grab every bag I can, open them, junk sell what I can, salvage what I can, sell what I can on the  tp, and dump the unusable trash. It's the  volume of incoming mats, not the value of individual items, that gives me a steady income flow. Even before the Wizard's Vault I was able to get a significant number of legendaries. Since the WV arrived, there's been a steady flow of gold into my coffers. There is one thing that has made a significant difference in my income though that I really should mention. I have one main account and five alt accounts. With the  main and the four alt accounts I do the  dailies, weeklies, and some mat gathering on a regular basis. The fifth alt account I'll only use sporadically.  I know not everyone can, or wants to, play that way. The income flow from this kind of playstyle though is good enough that I don't have to fuss about the rewards in individual bags. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Random dude trying to determine my reality because....?

Because way too often random dudes people misremember things or don't even look at the correct place/stat while making their claims. If it keeps happening to you, I'm not sure how posting screenshots of it is supposed to be a big deal.

It was like 9 years ago dude

1 hour ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Well bypassing the fact mine has reset 7 times since I started playing there really doesn't seem to be much point into raising it with the extreme costs involved via luck gobbling

So it hapened to you 7 times, like 9 years ago (maybe) and because of that now there's not reason to do something? Like bug (if there was one) fixes don't exist?

and I have never had any response from a ticket in that entire time playing this game......though most likely I did try to report it.

There's no place for "most likely" here, when you can literally check your support ticket history. Either you want help/solution or you want to keep being defensive because you "want to believe this totally happened but won't check or provide anything because no".
As far as I'm aware, gw2 has pretty fast support ticket response times.

___

Well how about when we do some exceedingly hard boss or world event we are guaranteed a decent item. If not an improved chance at ascended, how about guaranteed drop of an item to create better items in the forge? I am so sick and tired of eyes of kormir I could pull my eyes out...Not literally of course, but opening bag and chest after chest only to get mundane blue items is really REALLY getting old.

Play raids and strikes, if you won't get ascended drops, you get the currency you can spend on ascended gear.

The fun thing about "why am I not getting valuable drops?!?" complaint is that if everyone gets those valuable drops, they stop being valuable. Can't say "1 exotic a week" is in line with my experience either.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 14
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Arenanet has spent soo much time balancing this game that they have just about balanced the reward right out of this game.

The rewards are pretty well balanced. I think you just don't understand how the economy in GW2 works.

I think you think of other games where you grind and grind and maybe get an expensive item that gives you enough gold until you find the next expensive item.

That's not the case in GW2. Here you get a consistent flow of non expensive items which leads to a consistent gold income. No "hopping" income. You do stuff, you get reward. You don't need to wait for the next expensive item.

49 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Oh but wait I still hear someone in the back yelling, oh you gotta go on event world trains....Except yeah no, If I can't hit anything I don't get  any chance at a million, reward.

Well, that's a you issue?
I mean, it's obvious that you have to participate into events to get their rewards and that you have to hit enemies (or support allies) to get their loot.
This has nothing to do with the rewards.

44 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

What I mean is that I have gotten to 140 magic find and it has reset to zero

Sounds like you used boosters and they ran out.

53 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

I don't know about you, but in 9 years of playing, I can count the number of ascended items dropping from a fractal on 1 hand.

When doing fractals daily I get more than double as much within a week...

54 minutes ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Well how about when we do some exceedingly hard boss or world event we are guaranteed a decent item.

That's what Anet did with raids. After defeating a boss you always get one guaranteed exotic item.

Do you remember that you said exotics were valuable in the past but not anymore? Raids are the reason for that.

• Like 7

The "junk items" have been around forever so those aren't going anywhere, and at least they can be vendored for a few pennies. The bag-in-a-box-in-a-sack-in-a-pack thing is annoying, true, but pretty sure we're stuck with it. At least it can keep you from overflowing your inventory when picking up lootz.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Except yeah no, If I can't hit anything I don't get  any chance at a million, reward. But what about your luck? Well bypassing the fact mine has reset 7 times since I started playing there really doesn't seem to be much point into raising it with the extreme costs involved via luck gobbling

1. World bosses (when they're not bugged) don't die so quickly that you can't get enough hits in for credit.

2. Magic Find does not affect what you get from the bags you got as rewards.

3. Luck does not and has not ever reset. It sounds like you misunderstood how to read the Luck Bar. As you consume the essences of luck, the bar fills up. Once the bar is full, your account Magic Find increases 1%, and the Luck Bar goes back to zero. You then repeat it until you reach max Magic Find.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Well op I agree. While the system is really good for economy because it promotes crafting and material market, the drops probably feel the worst out of any rpg I ever played.

It's a curse of horizontal progression. Very early there is nothing that can drop to increase your power. So it's all just more materials. And once you have legendary gear, its all just junk if you're like me that barely cares about skins. So I'm pilling mats and gold that don't really have much use. I will buy a skin here and there and most of the time don't even use it. 

On the other hand it's kind of a blessing. There is really no hook in vertical progression, constant chase for that +1 stat.  So you either play because it's fun to play or you quit because there is really no other hook. And yeah, I still find the game mostly fun (although Soto is testing that a bit). 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

Bags within bags within bags is at the core of GW2. You can PvE through everything just holding auto-attack, but the real work is dealing with inventory chores. You have to regularly open inventory, deposit materials, open bags, open the bags inside those bags, identify, salvage, deposit, repeat, repeat, repeat.

At least it's not as bad as it used to be, where gear was already identified, and salvage would return worthless runes and crests to waste even more space. Ughhhh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Useless items exist in most F2P MMOs which sells additional bag slots. It's one of the "forced" conveniences. It was way worse before unidentified items was introduced, so I will give props to Anet here, it's definitely not the worst on a market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Portico.....3. Luck does not and has not ever reset. It sounds like you misunderstood how to read the Luck Bar. As you consume the essences of luck, the bar fills up. Once the bar is full, your account Magic Find increases 1%, and the Luck Bar goes back to zero. You then repeat it until you reach max Magic Find................ Dude, again, another stranger trying to determine my reality... Just because you have never had the game crash, doesn't mean no one else hasn't. I am telling you of 2 people's experience. Magi find went from 140 to 0 .I am also not talking about the luck experience bar, I have been playing for 9 years. Like I get it, you are skeptical, but errors happen, so do glitches. This game has glitched out many times, sometimes in my favour, sometimes not. That was in the early days, back before the game got hacked and the hackers gave everyone 100 gold. If you don't even remember that, then maybe ppl shouldn't be commenting on what things were like. Just the same, not trying to sound defensive, 9 years ago I wasn't screen shotting everything because someone a decade later might not believe me. I was playing the game and well, that was my experience.

Edited by Quasidivine.2591
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

Portico.....3. Luck does not and has not ever reset. It sounds like you misunderstood how to read the Luck Bar. As you consume the essences of luck, the bar fills up. Once the bar is full, your account Magic Find increases 1%, and the Luck Bar goes back to zero. You then repeat it until you reach max Magic Find................ Dude, again, another stranger trying to determine my reality... Just because you have never had the game crash, doesn't mean no one else hasn't. I am telling you of 2 people's experience. Magi find went from 140 to 0 .I am also not talking about the luck experience bar, I have been playing for 9 years. Like I get it, you are skeptical, but errors happen, so do glitches. This game has glitched out many times, sometimes in my favour, sometimes not. That was in the early days, back before the game got hacked and the hackers gave everyone 100 gold. If you don't even remember that, then maybe ppl shouldn't be commenting on what things were like. Just the same, not trying to sound defensive, 9 years ago I wasn't screen shotting everything because someone a decade later might not believe me. I was playing the game and well, that was my experience.

Provide screenshots, report a bug, show the response you received from the support when you opened a ticket (which you claim you "most likely did").

What you quoted wasn't said by Portico either btw, it was in the post above his -and as much as it's a simple mistake like any other, it provides you with a nice example of what "your reality" can be.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

There are a few things that really are useless. Compared to the total amount of items ... not that many though. There is stuff that is sellable at the TP but can't be sold cause of old orders blocking it and you have to put a higher price. (Old orders from before they introduced a minimum price.) Also for some stuff there is no buyer. All fine as long as you can sell it to an NPC.

Some stuff can't even be sold to an NPC vendor though. I would prefer if salvage options were generated. For recipes where the price is 2 silver at TP (or which are not tradeable but where you get more stuff from drops regularly like for some sigils of demon slaying with SotO) I'd prefer if they salvaged into ... paper maybe. (To be used for scribing stuff or for selling it a the TP.) Might drop the paper price too low though. 😄

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

There are a few things that really are useless. Compared to the total amount of items ... not that many though. There is stuff that is sellable at the TP but can't be sold cause of old orders blocking it and you have to put a higher price. (Old orders from before they introduced a minimum price.) Also for some stuff there is no buyer. All fine as long as you can sell it to an NPC.

There's no such thing as old stuff posted at below vendor price blocking you from selling something. Now, it may be that noone will buy your stuff even when it is posted at minimum price, but that's a completely different thing. It just means that item is not valuable enough to other people, and you should just vendor it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Quasidivine.2591 said:

Like I get it, you are skeptical, but errors happen, so do glitches.

Yeah, but not to only 2 ppl within 9 years dude.

If there is such a bug, it will happen to much more people due to the sheer amount of players who play this game and who played the game within the last 9 years.

Absolutely nobody having this "bug" in 9 years, except from you and your friend (what are the chances that the only two affected players know each other?), is a clear sign that this is a user problem, not a game problem.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Absolutely nobody having this "bug" in 9 years, except from you and your friend (what are the chances that the only two affected players know each other?), is a clear sign that this is a user problem, not a game problem.

Not necessarily.

I'm not taking sides here, but you zeroing in on the user and concluding that there is a "clear sign" the person is the problem ignores a wide range of other possibilities.

Don't forget that the game we play is a live software service with global availability and a massive physical infrastructure component to support that. "The game" that we login to and (usually) enjoy is a lot more than just the pixels on the screen; it's a massive and complex e-commerce, information processing and user-account management system running on 24/7/365 uptime.

It's entirely possible that account errors exist due to any number of potential causes, and if two accounts seem to be linked in some way that you don't understand, that doesn't make it suspect. A simple explanation for that is that both of those accounts could simply have been purchased on the same credit card in the same session. I don't know, and neither do you.

Don't ignore the very real possibility of weird account problems and blame the user. Yes, user error is absolutely unavoidable and is often the cause of all kinds of errors and misunderstandings. But just because it's common doesn't make it the only possibility.

/IT_support_guy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, kiroho.4738 said:

nobody having this "bug" in 9 years, except from you and your friend

The vast majority of people encountering a bug will neither use the bug report option nor come to the forums to report it. Even if they do use the in game bug report option the existence of the bug will not necessarily be communicated to the player base as a whole.

My point is that we do not know that the "bug" in question only affected those two people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9