Your Top 5 Problems or Concerns of WvW

49 minutes ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Want to fix one thing? Stop huge numbers of players switching to T5 servers just before reset so that they can pretend to be good players by wailing on smaller servers for a week or two. Or just carry on letting that happen, which will just lead to more and more players giving up and quiting, because it makes for a very kitten gaming experience.

It isn't fun spending most of the week with one server camping both spawnpoints on EBG while they hold the entire map, and showing up mob handed if anyone dares to poke their head out.

But if the plan is to kill wvw, then keep it up, you're doing a great job.

Consider that Anet 10 days ago took a look at our teams/servers in the EU must have thought ''let me see how the players redistributed themselves'' and when he saw he must have thought '' kitten but everyone on WSR? What the hell are they all doing there? It's better to update the thresholds. 🤭Pretty much compared to WSR all the other servers that come after are 2 sizes smaller. So I wouldn't be surprised if you're playing against an enemy who has twice your numbers.

Edited by Mabi black.1824

On 2/23/2024 at 11:42 PM, RisingDawn.5796 said:

1: Profession and skill balance. 

2. Skill lag

3. Server population balance and distribution.

4. Bringing more players, guilds and commanders to the game mode.

5. The queue bug, where it kicks you back through the queue, after your queue pops.

Edited by RisingDawn.5796
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1: Blobs unfun to play in unfun to play against. Make sieges do 3000% against giant blobs.

2: Wall pulls get rid of that crap.

3: Infinite stealth and teleports. It should be one or the other not both.

4: Useless defend siege. Too weak and because of wall pull crap its just useless to even use them if you don't want to be pulled through everything on site in the middle of a blob.

5: Edge of the Mist and how its just basically dead now.

• Like 3

WvW always had it's issues, but what is making it unbearable-for-weeks recently stems from being linked with a wrong server. Different servers have different cultures and that takes getting used to, which is fine. But we're (Piken Square) again linked with a German-speaking server, meaning a language chaos in the chat. 1) It's a challenge to find a commander on voice chat. 2) It's a challenge to find a commander willing to type, and then only in German. 3) There is less clear coordination in teamchat about cross map objectives. We will be stuck in this link up for 3 more weeks. Being linked to Underworld and later Blacktide was a lot of fun, but here, unless you're in a guild with dedicated own wvw raids, the situation is not enjoyable at all.

This Tower of Babel came up multiple times, in the beta as well. Anet, everyone would have more fun if you link servers that speak the same language and don't force international servers with a single-language ones. I know this isn't a big deal for NA, but it is on EU, and it makes me not want to play until next linking. But I'll miss wvw. Before someone suggests to transfer servers, paying that many gems every 4 weeks is not feasible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:02 AM, Scolix.4879 said:

1: Blobs unfun to play in unfun to play against. Make sieges do 3000% against giant blobs.

2: Wall pulls get rid of that crap.

3: Infinite stealth and teleports. It should be one or the other not both.

4: Useless defend siege. Too weak and because of wall pull crap its just useless to even use them if you don't want to be pulled through everything on site in the middle of a blob.

5: Edge of the Mist and how its just basically dead now.

+1

My top concern:

1. What is the point in playing WvW? or phrased other way: what is the point of grinding and winning a WvW match? if there are no prestigue, rewards or whatever behind it.

2. Add a new WvW map and replace one of the alpine borderlands

3. Add new mechanics to WvW.

4. Do something with Edge of the Mist.

5. Get World restructuring up and improve UI.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/1/2024 at 12:02 PM, Scolix.4879 said:

They really should scale damage on siege depending on targets hit, or on aoes in general for that matter. So arrow carts should hit for normal on one target then goes up 2% for each additional target it hits, up to 100% more damage for 50 targets hit. But of course this doesn't help the boon ball, so it wouldn't be a positive change for anet to consider. 🤷‍♂️

Same goes for aoes, if one target is hit it's normal damage, 5% more for each target hit, so if 5 targets are hit in the pulse then it's 20% more damage. but then we'll have people screaming to do the same for healing, except anet will add 50% more healing to compensate for the 20% more damage.... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

On 3/26/2024 at 7:48 AM, XenesisII.1540 said:

You sound pretty clueless yourself. Groups are not rolling maps because of "weak gates" when in fact most groups will break into objectives through their walls, it's because of boon balls that can withstand siege combat and has no field opposition until a similar group is formed against them.  Boon golems, lmao, yeah sure that's a top problem for sure. If you want to criticize someone else's list, at least put up a rational list of your own. 😏

I'm not sure if this is still entirely true. I've seen a big uptick in recent months in boonballs knocking down gates because those rams have way too much health these days. And they do the same with rams, they just stack on top of them. I remember Anet stating in the same update notes that ballistae also got an upgrade but it's hardly anything when it comes to those rams and it takes an age to kill them now. And when you have a zerg, they can put down 5-6 rams in a matter of seconds and that gate is down within 20 seconds if that. The only thing that defenders had to counter this was siege disablers and the tactivator that made the objective immune for a short time. Now they've nerfed both, so clearly Anet doesn't WANT to stop this.

It's funny...I just realised that there is no viable counterplay anymore for offensive siege. Shame on cmc. In the end attackers have the advantage of picking where they will attack and defenders need to rally to get to said objective. If attackers can steamroll an objective within 60-90 seconds (which is the case now), then the defenders at best have just arrived to see their objective taken. Even the watchtower upgrade doesn't give enough warning. That's why the siege disablers and immunity tactivators where key in being able to defend at all.

And in case anybody points out the role of scouts, then yes, you're right but scouting is a thankless job most of the time. I know from experience. If it wasn't for one of the main guilds on my server appreciating what I did as a scout, I would've stopped playing WvW ages ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I'm not sure if this is still entirely true. I've seen a big uptick in recent months in boonballs knocking down gates because those rams have way too much health these days. And they do the same with rams, they just stack on top of them. I remember Anet stating in the same update notes that ballistae also got an upgrade but it's hardly anything when it comes to those rams and it takes an age to kill them now. And when you have a zerg, they can put down 5-6 rams in a matter of seconds and that gate is down within 20 seconds if that. The only thing that defenders had to counter this was siege disablers and the tactivator that made the objective immune for a short time. Now they've nerfed both, so clearly Anet doesn't WANT to stop this.

It's funny...I just realised that there is no viable counterplay anymore for offensive siege. Shame on cmc. In the end attackers have the advantage of picking where they will attack and defenders need to rally to get to said objective. If attackers can steamroll an objective within 60-90 seconds (which is the case now), then the defenders at best have just arrived to see their objective taken. Even the watchtower upgrade doesn't give enough warning. That's why the siege disablers and immunity tactivators where key in being able to defend at all.

And in case anybody points out the role of scouts, then yes, you're right but scouting is a thankless job most of the time. I know from experience. If it wasn't for one of the main guilds on my server appreciating what I did as a scout, I would've stopped playing WvW ages ago.

I usually respond to callouts and post my own, but I catch the vibe early on if it's going to get a full response or not, and I might end up just trying to get a bag or two with a couple of other before it falls. I'm definitely not trying to defend anything from inside or on the walls. None of my stuff will do anything while all of theirs will be on point. If the wall cover and height was a legit defensive advantage, I'd defend everything for the duration. 

5 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

/shrug the only uptick I saw with rams is it's usage for the damage buff in fights in open field. Some places are better/no choice to use rams, but most are better to use cata's, also depends on the situation with upgrade levels and how many are in that zerg, but for the most part everyone has stuck to the usual. Let's not forget gates are usually the first you can upgrade in 10mins with the harden gates tactic, although given the situation with boon balls now you're better off slotting sabotage depot instead anyways. Ballistas are still pretty useless if you build cata's in the right areas to avoid them, or shields....

I'm gonna laugh if these same devs decide to do tournaments after WR is implemented, after they spent all this time dismantling defenses so that most don't care anymore, in a time where points haven't matter for almost 10 years, it'll just degenerate further into ktrain boon balls rolling maps.

15 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

/shrug the only uptick I saw with rams is it's usage for the damage buff in fights in open field. Some places are better/no choice to use rams, but most are better to use cata's, also depends on the situation with upgrade levels and how many are in that zerg, but for the most part everyone has stuck to the usual. Let's not forget gates are usually the first you can upgrade in 10mins with the harden gates tactic, although given the situation with boon balls now you're better off slotting sabotage depot instead anyways. Ballistas are still pretty useless if you build cata's in the right areas to avoid them, or shields....

I'm gonna laugh if these same devs decide to do tournaments after WR is implemented, after they spent all this time dismantling defenses so that most don't care anymore, in a time where points haven't matter for almost 10 years, it'll just degenerate further into ktrain boon balls rolling maps.

Experiences can be different, particularly on which servers you are and yes, catas in certain places are much more efficient but I've definitely seen more rams being used. The open field usage for the rams, is something that now clicks in my mind because in the last week I played (2-3 weeks ago), I saw rams in the open field and wondered why. However, that was just that one time.

Leave it up to players to come up with something like that.

But yeah, regardless the changes they made to siege, tactivators and supply stashes in objectives favour the attackers and defending of said objectives has become harder and harder. And there are places where catas cannot be reached by ballistae, but then again if you really think about where to place them, there aren't that many places and other places can be reached with well-placed catas as well. Of course I was talking about ballistae vs rams and that's the same. You can't use ballistae on rams most of the time.

I just find it ridiculous that catas can be put up against the walls and take no damage from their aoe but that's an other matter entirely. And this ram thing in open field is equally ridiculous. There's more things I can mention but you get the point. But hey, at least we know that Anet doesn't care about all of that. They just want attackers to have all the advantages and that makes me not want to play WvW anymore. And I do realise that most players are probably on board with that though, so I don't think this will change.

18 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

But hey, at least we know that Anet doesn't care about all of that. They just want attackers to have all the advantages and that makes me not want to play WvW anymore.

I would suggest that we should always look at the two sides of the same coin. First of all, if they are giving an advantage in the attack we must consider that it applies to your enemy, but also to your team. I really like defending too, but when I think about it when the enemy manages to reset a T3 structure I normally know that the content in that map will not be lacking for the next few hours. especially if I'm defending. If everything locks on T3 on all sides , then the game is likely to become boring, or particularly slow.. I'm just suggesting a different way of interpreting these changes.

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

I would suggest that we should always look at the two sides of the same coin. First of all, if they are giving an advantage in the attack we must consider that it applies to your enemy, but also to your team. I really like defending too, but when I think about it when the enemy manages to reset a T3 structure I normally know that the content in that map will not be lacking for the next few hours. especially if I'm defending. If everything locks on T3 on all sides , then the game is likely to become boring, or particularly slow.. I'm just suggesting a different way of interpreting these changes.

Defending players don't get T3 stuff through good gameplay though, they get things to higher tiers due to a) dominance in numbers that keep enemies out numerically or b) due to off-hour build ups, where in the late night ours dollies are going in, because nobody kills them and "unless you got Canadians", nobody plays in the middle of the night (because of RL, jobs, family and sanity). Flipping a T3 takes perhaps 10 minutes, building it up will take multiple hours. Attackers certainly have an advantage that is nurtured by ANet's decisions.

16 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

in a time where points haven't matter for almost 10 years, it'll just degenerate further into ktrain boon balls rolling maps.

Fairly certain we've already been there for a few years now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Attackers certainly have an advantage that is nurtured by ANet's decisions.

Yes, that's right, we're really thinking about these changes. I mean, if we never change anything in this mode, is it better? personally I would tell you that I would like to see more changes in periodic/weekly format. If you let me play for a week on a new map, if you let me play a week without being knocked down, if you let me play a week with SM behind open doors, if you make me play a week favoring offense and then a week favoring defense, I'd probably just be happy to get more 'events' then if some of them turn out particularly nice to the community then you make them permanent. My problem is the approach I see from the development and the players. Few changes and many complaints.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Experiences can be different, particularly on which servers you are and yes, catas in certain places are much more efficient but I've definitely seen more rams being used. The open field usage for the rams, is something that now clicks in my mind because in the last week I played (2-3 weeks ago), I saw rams in the open field and wondered why. However, that was just that one time.

Leave it up to players to come up with something like that.

But yeah, regardless the changes they made to siege, tactivators and supply stashes in objectives favour the attackers and defending of said objectives has become harder and harder. And there are places where catas cannot be reached by ballistae, but then again if you really think about where to place them, there aren't that many places and other places can be reached with well-placed catas as well. Of course I was talking about ballistae vs rams and that's the same. You can't use ballistae on rams most of the time.

I just find it ridiculous that catas can be put up against the walls and take no damage from their aoe but that's an other matter entirely. And this ram thing in open field is equally ridiculous. There's more things I can mention but you get the point. But hey, at least we know that Anet doesn't care about all of that. They just want attackers to have all the advantages and that makes me not want to play WvW anymore. And I do realise that most players are probably on board with that though, so I don't think this will change.

Sure.. but... in my experience...

Alpine: NWT - 80/20 cata/rams. NET - 80/20 cata/rams. Garrison - lower rams(no choice) upper 50/50 cata/rams has a double wall. Bay - 90/10 cata/rams has a double wall. Hills - 90/10 cata/rams has multiple double walls. SWT - 70/30 cata/rams. SET - 70/30 cata/rams.

Desert: NWT - 90/10 cata/rams only attackers would use rams. NET - 90/10 cata/rams only attackers would use rams. Earth - lower rams(no choice) upper 70/30 cata/rams has an easy double wall. Air - 90/10 cata/rams. Fire - 90/10 cata/rams. SWT - 90/10 cata/rams. SET - 90/10 cata/rams. Towers are too big for defenders to want to bother going around front to ram.

Ebg: Red keep - 90/10 cata/rams lower 30/70 cata/rams upper, Mendons - 90/10, Veloka - 90/10, Anz - 90/10, Ogre - 90/10, Wildcreek - 90/10, Klovan - 90/10, Aldons - 90/10, Green keep - 50/50, Jerri - 90/10, Quentin - 70/30, Durios - 90/10, Langor - 90/10, Bravost - 50/50, Blue keep - 80/20 has two double walls, SMC - 99.9/0.01 outer, 10/90 inner.  All outer towers would include treb with cata because of smc.

Saying uptick is like saying something got 100% increase drop rate to something that was already less than 1% drop rate in this game. 🤭 You use rams if watch tower is not installed, or lack of defense siege, or if you're pugs back capping and no enemies are around(but chances are a cata will get multi use for defenders if attackers don't clear it), as a blob if you don't care to be detected. But in most cases attacking enemies will use the cata option. If they want a huge uptick in ram usage, remove watch tower and it'll happen.

I don't ever understand the take their own damage argument, that's like asking why don't players take damage from their own aoes they're stepping. It's a game not real life, you simply do damage to enemies and their stuff, not to your allies and your own stuff, wvw is not a free for all. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by XenesisII.1540

Reasons or suggestions for changes in WvW for the motivation to farm points for the team: 

Examples:
- Reward the winner of the week (e.g. Team Blue) with a magic sense buff that lasts for one week.

- Reward the winner of the week with 1 pip buff that lasts for the next week.

Note: Boonball and teleporting far is frustrating ;)

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:04 PM, hedix.1986 said:

WvW always had it's issues, but what is making it unbearable-for-weeks recently stems from being linked with a wrong server. Different servers have different cultures and that takes getting used to, which is fine. But we're (Piken Square) again linked with a German-speaking server, meaning a language chaos in the chat. 1) It's a challenge to find a commander on voice chat. 2) It's a challenge to find a commander willing to type, and then only in German. 3) There is less clear coordination in teamchat about cross map objectives. We will be stuck in this link up for 3 more weeks. Being linked to Underworld and later Blacktide was a lot of fun, but here, unless you're in a guild with dedicated own wvw raids, the situation is not enjoyable at all.

This Tower of Babel came up multiple times, in the beta as well. Anet, everyone would have more fun if you link servers that speak the same language and don't force international servers with a single-language ones. I know this isn't a big deal for NA, but it is on EU, and it makes me not want to play until next linking. But I'll miss wvw. Before someone suggests to transfer servers, paying that many gems every 4 weeks is not feasible.

To be honest, this new link with Elona made me quit the game. (For more than 3 weeks thats for shure)

It took ages until Anet was able to fix a simple thing like the frost-relic! (Not to mention all the bugs like getting into keeps and towers that still exist)

After more than 5 years still no WR.

One broken build after another and on the other side nerfs that made some classes/profession nearly obsolete! (In WvW)

Zero communication from Anet about the future of WvW. (Roadmap etc)

Right now it feels like "Take it or leave it!" (And I'm on the big L side atm😞)

Edited by Tsargrad.6723
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:08 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Hmm, yea it's kinda horrible atm.

Was an Armistice Bastion, wasn't really planning to play because it was late. Someone called out for NW tower against a few attacks. Killed them, and repaired the wall. So far so good.

So a bit later someone calls for hills so not done repairing the wall, I go for hills and it's just 5 people. Scout report took forever, but whatever. Down one of them, but they rally because insta res's OP and after some bouts of boring tank vs tank action they leave with superspeed and I can't run after them. Since none of them died I get no credit but all the walls are down and there isn't that much supply.

So did I bother? Well, patched outer up and went to EBG to refresh some participation, and went to sleep.  I a'int doing that crap and wouldn't expect others to want to do it either. I mean small scale defending at this point is pretty much just ganking players without a clue or unaware so you can farm pips.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

11 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Hmm, yea it's kinda horrible atm.

Was an Armistice Bastion, wasn't really planning to play because it was late. Someone called out for NW tower against a few attacks. Killed them, and repaired the wall. So far so good.

So a bit later someone calls for hills so not done repairing the wall, I go for hills and it's just 5 people. Scout report took forever, but whatever. Down one of them, but they rally because insta res's OP and after some bouts of boring tank vs tank action they leave with superspeed and I can't run after them. Since none of them died I get no credit but all the walls are down and there isn't that much supply.

So did I bother? Well, patched outer up and went to EBG to refresh some participation, and went to sleep.  I a'int doing that crap and wouldn't expect others to want to do it either. I mean small scale defending at this point is pretty much just ganking players without a clue or unaware so you can farm pips.

lol. If me, you and Xen go bowling....not sure what will happen. I fear for Splat and Tarp. Sit will will write us all off I think. Chaba will ponder what is, should it have been as it was and could it have gone better. If linked with Monkey will still  be calling us all slackers.  

On 4/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

I've had lots of experiences with enemy groups PPT'ing around maps with big zergs looking for where they encounter the least resistance. They don't really want to have a good fight but rather have it easy to cap objectives. And hey, if that's fun for you then I get it, but I think they need to look at the two sides as well. These changes make it boring for me and I do realise that I might be the minority in that but why place tactivators and defensive siege, if it's not going to help you defend your objective but just delay the inevitable for a short while? It's just one sided nerfs to enable quicker caps. So for the defenders it's not useful anymore to put put up defensive siege when it comes to being outnumbered. 

So please, let me know how it's good for defenders? Because that's the other side. Of course I can see that it's more fun for attackers, that's easy. But let's look at the defender's side shall we? Defensive siege is pointless now in a lot of cases. Attackers can already kill siege even if they're placed as far back on the wall as possible. I've been pulled off the wall into the zerg while operating siege as far back as I can stand. So I invite you to look at the side of the defenders, particularly when they're outnumbered, which happens a lot in my experience. Should defenders just give up when they see a group that outnumbers them by a fair amount then? That's what it's coming to. For me, that was the situation and is exactly why I quit playing WvW.

As far as I can tell Anet doesn't consider that other side because most people prefer just going around capping stuff or fight zerg vs zerg in the open field. And anybody else should just content themselves with recapping camps...again just capping stuff. And that's just not for me if that's all there's to it. Again, I think that I'm in the minority with that but that's where it is for me.

And attackers ALWAYS put siege at the usual places from my experience. Always. You can count on hills that they put catas along the west side wall because there they can hit both outer and inner and sometimes they use rams at the south gate. At bay they will usually put catas at the small south wall, again, because they can hit both outer and inner from there. It's just convenient and convenience rules. But really, just tell me how it's fun for defenders who face larger groups generally and are depending on help getting there on time (like a tag from another map) to even have a fighting chance?

My view is that defending objectives is not the way to go anymore unless you have somewhat evenly sized groups on the same map, which might happen at prime time but not all the time and certainly not outside of prime time. And my experience is that (when there are no queues or just EB) that PPT tags will go to the maps where there's the least resistance and at the moment an enemy tag start making their life more difficult then they will just let the enemy recap everything and in the meantime they'll go to a different map and do the same.

All I'm saying is that that probably is what the majority of WvW players like but it's not for me as a scout/defender.