Recharging Teleport to Friend Buff?

In the March sales post it was announced the Racharging Teleport to Friend cooldown will be buffed from 1 hour to 10 minutes.

Has this kind of buff/ CD reduction on utility items ever happened in the past? I've started playing around the time EoD dropped and I've never seen this before.

I personally have the item myself because I play with friends and find it pretty handy. However I've seen GW2 content creators say the item's bad and a complete waste of gems.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I use mine almost daily.  Either for JP teleport to a friend or for a quick port to a squad for a meta.  I find it a great convenience item, but that's subjective.  

I wouldn't mind reduced time. An hour is ok, half hour would be nice, 10 min seems really short?  Unless they're trying to bolster sales on items.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I use mine a lot too. If the hour cooldown had been real time, it would not have been a big deal to me. However, it is an hour of game time and that seems unnecessarily long to me. Personally, I'm really, really glad that Anet is dropping it to 10 minutes. Oh and here's the link. The teleport buff is the last thing talked about at the very end of the post.   https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/march-sales-are-back/

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I use mine almost daily.  Either for JP teleport to a friend or for a quick port to a squad for a meta.  I find it a great convenience item, but that's subjective.  

I wouldn't mind reduced time. An hour is ok, half hour would be nice, 10 min seems really short?  Unless they're trying to bolster sales on items.  

The teleport will be featured in a big gemstore pack. While a nice change, it's to boost sales. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

I can't recall anet making a change to a gemstore utility item like this in the past. So this may be the first time. Maybe someone else remembers something.

It kind of makes sense to reduce the cool down though. For most vets, they probably have a large stash of the consumable ones from birthday gifts. For new players, it's a good way for them to keep up with groups (e.g., meta/world boss trains), especially if they don't have mounts or all waypoints unlocked. I think anything that makes it easier for players to link up and play together is a good thing at this point.

The reason most content creators say it is a bad item was because of the 1hr cooldown. Also, you have to realize that most content creators are usually the ones leading content (meta trains, etc.) or already have a relatively robust account (100% map completion, etc.) which makes it a less worthwhile item for them (and why they don't recommend it).

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have changed gem store items in the past. The biggest one is probably when town clothes were removed from the game and outfits were introduced, all the gem store town clothes became either outfits or tonics. Also the infinite gathering tools used to be soulbound on first use, then they added an NPC to swap them for account bound versions. There's probably been others which I don't remember.

I don't have the infinite teleport to friend, but I think it's a good change because everyone said the timer was too long to make it really useful.

• Like 5

Some things that have changed:

Some Lounge Passes that now allow you to return to your previous map

Transmutation Crystals into Charges

Black Lion Statuettes (previously sold in Gem Store)

Mystic Keys (became Black Lion Chest Keys)

Transmutation Splitters into Transmutation Charges

Plus a whole lot of no-longer-available items. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That reminds me, it's not exactly changing an existing item but they changed the whole system for seasonal loot boxes. At first Black Lion Chests just had a small selection of generic items and each release came with a themed loot box like the Mad King's Chest, Consortium Chest and Wintersday Mystery Box which were only sold during that release and had unique items. That wasn't very popular for various reasons and they kept adjusting exactly how it worked, including introducing Kite Fortunes  with the first Festival of the Four Winds that were basically the first version of Black Lion Ticket Scraps. Eventually they ended up with the system we have now, where 2 special items go into the Black Lion chests and new weapon sets are released periodically for tickets.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Some things that have changed:

Some Lounge Passes that now allow you to return to your previous map

Transmutation Crystals into Charges

Black Lion Statuettes (previously sold in Gem Store)

Transmutation Splitters into Transmutation Charges

Plus a whole lot of no-longer-available items. 

Wait was not black lion keys always called that?

• Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
6 hours ago, Sugar Min.5834 said:

TBH, one hour game time reset is too long. This is great news. I will be getting mine on 19 Mar. GJ ANet 👍

Just a heads up in case you're waiting for the update and not for another reason--the cooldown was changed to 10 minutes as of today--you don't have to wait for the March 19 build for it to be active!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Just a heads up in case you're waiting for the update and not for another reason--the cooldown was changed to 10 minutes as of today--you don't have to wait for the March 19 build for it to be active!

Yay thank you for this info!  Nice QoL improvement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

And I just finished buying the Permanent TP to Friend on my alt accounts... That 1 hour in game limit was bad though. Forced me to play my alt accounts more, but that 10 minute CD is awesome. Might spend some time ferrying my alts around more.

for what in the world you need alt accounts o.O in a horizontal exploration game? if gw2 is anything, then the game where you don't need multiply characters or alts.. i have 1 char since 10 years lol. never though about even makeing a new one.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, WaifuJanna.9108 said:

for what in the world you need alt accounts o.O in a horizontal exploration game? if gw2 is anything, then the game where you don't need multiply characters or alts.. i have 1 char since 10 years lol. never though about even makeing a new one.

Money and materials. My alt accounts can make me a lot of money just off of doing the WV dailies for 5-8 mins each (and I don't even do them every day). The one-time $7-15 payment for my HoT/PoF accounts has long ago paid out for me, both in direct gold/time costs + how many mats I've saved my main account from having to buy/farm.

Alts themselves? Well, I like playing multiple classes, and this isn't FFXIV where I can swap a weapon on my character and immediately be a different class. Also like parking alt characters in other locations or using them for specific purposes (like I have an Elementalist whose entire purpose is for WvW with any WvW boosters running and the like, while my main Ele roams the land freely, unburdened by the weight of ticking boosters).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2