Please allow us to name our pets and mini's

Just like mechanists are allowed to rename their mechs (very cool anet dudes), please allow us to rename our mini's and other pets that don't have a time limited lifespan.

Yes, I want to name my favorite cat mini "Mr Blue"

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Tinker.6924 said:

Just like mechanists are allowed to rename their mechs (very cool anet dudes), please allow us to rename our mini's and other pets that don't have a time limited lifespan.

Yes, I want to name my favorite cat mini "Mr Blue"

The jade mech is more in line with ranger pets then minis hence why they can be named.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ranger pets can be named and necromancer minions are temporary. Other than minis which other pets are there?

Anet might be reluctant to allow players to name minis because there's hundreds of them so that could be a lot of data to store. I might be wrong on this but I think even if the majority of players choose not to name their minis and those who do only name specific ones they still have to have a field, and therefore database space for a name for every mini every player has. But maybe they could do it like how ranger pets used to work, where the name was only saved for the active pet and if you changed them it reset to the default?

• Like 2

The kitty that follows my mesmer around is named Abyss, but nobody really needs to know that because know that.

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Anet might be reluctant to allow players to name minis because there's hundreds of them so that could be a lot of data to store. I might be wrong on this but I think even if the majority of players choose not to name their minis and those who do only name specific ones they still have to have a field, and therefore database space for a name for every mini every player has. But maybe they could do it like how ranger pets used to work, where the name was only saved for the active pet and if you changed them it reset to the default?

I can tell you that in WoW the mini-pets are nameable, but few people do it. Might not be worth implementing, even for why you mentioned.

5 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

It would be weird to be able to rename actual characters of the story, so they probably won't let us do that.

Named characters are a big chunk of the minis too, maybe half? They would have to set that flag on only ones with non-specific/descriptive-only names, which would probably be an enormous hassle to do (if it would even be possible at all).

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 7:31 AM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

It would be weird to be able to rename actual characters of the story, so they probably won't let us do that.

There are plenty of generically named minis that have zero lore relevance like “mini outlaw puppy” and “mini lavish lama” and those are the ones we should  be able to name

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tinker.6924 said:

There are plenty of generically named minis that have zero lore relevance like “mini outlaw puppy” and “mini lavish lama” and those are the ones we should  be able to name

Now I want to know what puppy laws exist that this particular puppy broke, or why the llama is "lavish?" And why are llamas so rare in Tyria? I want the generic creature lore.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Isn't it obvious? That puppy is guilting of stealing our hearts.

No that can't be it, else all puppies are outlaws. ...Wait maybe you're on to something.

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 5:11 PM, Kiki.9450 said:

I can tell you that in WoW the mini-pets are nameable, but few people do it.

Even here in GW 2, in open world I often see rangers whose pets have the default name.
(The rangers in wvw love their pet and name it.)

I would enjoy being able to name my minipets so that my beast master themed Ranger could have have his actual pets, his minipet, and perbaps even his rune summon pet.....oh, never mind. I changed the build when I lost the summon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3