I don't mind the grind but...

On 3/15/2024 at 4:05 PM, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Wow, just like real life, I just realized my game character is poor too with only 700g.

So I guess unless 500g is chump change for you, don't go for legendary sets.

Legendary items ing eneral are expensive, yes.

They are endgame long term projects after all.

2 hours ago, Player.2475 said:

*Laughs in WvW armor that cost less than 400g to craft, less than 200g almost free if you count the rewards you get in the 4 weeks of playing 13-20 hours of WvW for the skirmish tickets*

It's 470-500g per WvW/PvP piece. 🙂 

As for the rewards you get while playing for skirmishing tickets, playing and get more than one needed material or gold at the same time is not unique to WvW. It actually happens almost everywhere. Doing raids for LI -> you get gold/loot as well. Doing rifts or convergences for Kryptis Essences -> you get gold/loot as well. Doing map completion for gen1 weapons -> you get gold and loot while doing that.

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

You can not write that 🤣. Also do not forget PvP armor. Both is cheaper and faster than PvE. Open world leggy armor is kind of killed for any "new" player with research notes. Better to do PvP or WvW leggy armor with gen3 leggy weapons since you get that nice PvE finisher.

PvP/WvW armor is cheaper than the Obsidian armor, but they are slower due to time gates.

Raid armor is both cheaper and faster.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Legendary items ing eneral are expensive, yes.

It's 470-500g per WvW/PvP piece. 🙂 

As for the rewards you get while playing for skirmishing tickets, playing and get more than one needed material or gold at the same time is not unique to WvW. It actually happens almost everywhere. Doing raids for LI -> you get gold/loot as well. Doing rifts or convergences for Kryptis Essences -> you get gold/loot as well. Doing map completion for gen1 weapons -> you get gold and loot while doing that.

PvP/WvW armor is cheaper than the Obsidian armor, but they are slower due to time gates.

Raid armor is both cheaper and faster.

To elaborate why I said WvW armor is basically free:

Open world: Convergences and rifts give you worse rewards than just mindlessly running around a map and killing random enemies for the most part.

Raids: Only 2 gold per boss + some trash exotics and ascended, so about a couple dozen for a full clear of w1-4. Magnetite is meh, because even the trades for "discounted" clovers are barely better than just pure gambling once you account for the T6 materials and coins you get back.

WvW: You are stuck here 13-20 hours a week like it's your part time job so you might as well pop your boosters to get reward tracks faster. Semi-afk playstyle with minimal input still yields you up to 7g/hr worth of T5-6 resources and gear per hour. Reward tracks finish in about 3-4 hours until you hit your weekly skirmish chests, which depending on the reward track gives you a decent amount of gold, map resources, and 2 clovers per completion.

So as you can see, while slaving away in that god-forsaken gamemode just for the sake of hitting your weekly skirmish cap, you end up making almost twice the amount you need in clovers and material costs.

Is it efficient? No. Is it soul-crushing? Yes. Could you be making a lot more gold and materials per hours by doing literally anything else with your time, even picking up spare change from the street and converting gems to gold? Possibly! But you have to do it for the tickets anyway, so at least you can find some solace in the fact that while it took you almost 10x more hours of playtime to get the tokens for the WvW equivalent of raid armor, you at least don't have to now go and farm the rest of the materials.

Edited by Player.2475
Formating so eyes don't hurty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Arent they raising because you can trade some of the lower mats for bags or tickets or whatever?

Festival of the Winds from memory people farm the events so hard since the gold per hour is alot higher so everything drops in price regardless of what you can trade in. 

We already have a massive material sink with Provisioners Tokens anyway so adding another won't impact this much. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Player.2475 said:

To elaborate why I said WvW armor is basically free:

Open world: Convergences and rifts give you worse rewards than just mindlessly running around a map and killing random enemies for the most part.

Raids: Only 2 gold per boss + some trash exotics and ascended, so about a couple dozen for a full clear of w1-4. Magnetite is meh, because even the trades for "discounted" clovers are barely better than just pure gambling once you account for the T6 materials and coins you get back.

WvW: You are stuck here 13-20 hours a week like it's your part time job so you might as well pop your boosters to get reward tracks faster. Semi-afk playstyle with minimal input still yields you up to 7g/hr worth of T5-6 resources and gear per hour. Reward tracks finish in about 3-4 hours until you hit your weekly skirmish chests, which depending on the reward track gives you a decent amount of gold, map resources, and 2 clovers per completion.

So as you can see, while slaving away in that god-forsaken gamemode just for the sake of hitting your weekly skirmish cap, you end up making almost twice the amount you need in clovers and material costs.

Is it efficient? No. Is it soul-crushing? Yes. Could you be making a lot more gold and materials per hours by doing literally anything else with your time, even picking up spare change from the street and converting gems to gold? Possibly! But you have to do it for the tickets anyway, so at least you can find some solace in the fact that while it took you almost 10x more hours of playtime to get the tokens for the WvW equivalent of raid armor, you at least don't have to now go and farm the rest of the materials.

It's still not free though.
It's as "free" as the ASSs are when you need them for a gen3 legy.

You think they are free, because you get them from vendor for almost nothing and don't have to buy them.
But without the legy and it's cost, you would have sold the kitten and made money.
Same for the gold you make while farming/waiting for the skirmishing tickets.
You earn let's say 400g in that time, but instead of having 400g, you have nothing, because you spend them for the legy.

You end up with less gold than you would have without the legy.

And as for comparsion with Raid/Open World, it doesn't make any difference if you farm one content all the time (WvW) or multiple contents, but less of each (PvE).

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Yeah but there is a flaw.  They were only introduced recently, so all those materials and money you need, you only started collecting 2 weeks ago.  And you have 3 months to do it to get the specials.  So long term is effectively 3 months.  If you already knew everything you needed over the last 10 years and have been collecting, it's not as bad.  But I certainly wasn't doing that.

• Confused 8

3 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Yeah but there is a flaw.  They were only introduced recently, so all those materials and money you need, you only started collecting 2 weeks ago.  And you have 3 months to do it to get the specials.  So long term is effectively 3 months.  If you already knew everything you needed over the last 10 years and have been collecting, it's not as bad.  But I certainly wasn't doing that.

We basically knew since the start of Soto what we’ll need for the new legendary armor. More than enough time to get all the materials. 

• Like 6

As someone who has crafted a set of raid leggy armor and working on a set of open world armor, honestly, it isn't that bad considering the amount of skill/effort needed. 
You can basically get it in 4 months with a couple hours a week doing convergences and some metas here and there. Content is hot right now, so it takes zero time and hassle to organize anything as well, so basically it's a "participation" reward. Both convergences and metas give gold and unidentified gear for both luck and ectos that you can use to craft.

I know there are a handful of amazing crazy people that have already crafted their obsidian armor set(s). But, this truly is just a leggy set that you can play whatever (outside of SotO currencies) and accumulate the generic materials over time. Just take it slow. You get ectos, luck, T6 mats, etc. from doing basically anything in game. As with all legendary crafting, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

You speak for yourself. It was not posted anywhere in game.

No it wasn't, ANet never posts recipes before the items are released. There were many speculation threads and looking at the material list now, I see no surprise. Going from what we knew from existing legendary armor and the existing releases, the speculations came pretty close to what will be needed, just not to how much of it.

About the special in the WV: don't worry about that. Yes technically you have three months to get that but going from the past two seasons, we will get more than enough AA to buy everything twice. You will not need that special.
Also, after that special is done, the legendary armor will still remain, so it is a long term goal. If you chose to set yourself a timelimit, that's on you. You're free to do so, but be aware that it's not the game or the devs who do so, it's your decision.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

No it wasn't, ANet never posts recipes before the items are released.

Therefore no way to know

28 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

There were many speculation threads and looking at the material list now, I see no surprise

So? Not in game, 99% of people do not visit threads. I only bothered coming here to see if I was missing something about this release, as it was super light on content.

29 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

Going from what we knew from existing legendary armor and the existing releases

I personally knew nothing about existing either. Always told it was hard and not worth it.  Tried to follow a guide once for gen 1, couldn't figure it out.

30 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

You're free to do so, but be aware that it's not the game or the devs who do so

Who set the time limit if not the devs?  Do I have access to some config file to adjust the time limit?

30 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

About the special in the WV: don't worry about that.

I apparently need all of it to get the required materials.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

43 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Therefore no way to know

So? Not in game, 99% of people do not visit threads. I only bothered coming here to see if I was missing something about this release, as it was super light on content.

I personally knew nothing about existing either. Always told it was hard and not worth it.  Tried to follow a guide once for gen 1, couldn't figure it out.

Who set the time limit if not the devs?  Do I have access to some config file to adjust the time limit?

Well, ANet never releases recipes to not mess with the trading post which leaves the community with speculations and well educated guesses. It's been like this since over a decade. I'm not saying it's good or bad and you can find this unfair or whatever, that's a discusion for another thread. But it is what is and you can do with that information in the future what you want to do. I'd advise that, next time you may be interested in crafting something that may be expensive or time consuming maybe bother coming here again, you have a few posts, so you're not a complete stranger as it seems. 🤷‍♂️
About the three months deadline you are talking about we may have a misunderstanding, Nothing in the Wizards Vault is required to craft the armor, so I don't undestand your last point. There's a special achievement in the vault that rewards you if you craft a piece of Obsidian Armor within the next three months though.
However, as I said, going from past experiences, the WV rewards plenty of Astral Acclaim to buy everything in the vault twice, so it is highly unlikely that you will miss the three or five hundred AA this achievement rewards. So you may chose to go for that special achievment and set yourself a deadline of three months to craft a piece of legendary armor, but it's a choice because you don't need to do this. Also the reward from the special achievment is worth about 14 gold or something and if you want to set yourself a timelimit for that amount, by all means, but it's your choice.
The armor is now in the game and you can work towards it in whatever speed is ok for you. That's, partially, what the open world armor was about, something that is more or less soloable (T2 and T3 essences make this part a bit questionable) and can be worked towards in an individual pace.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

They were not introduced 2 weeks ago. They were announced together with SoTo almost a year ago.
We knew through other legendary armor what mats probably were needed and we know since SoTo release that Kryptis Essences are needed.
People crafted all 3 armor on release day. If you started everything 2 weeks ago, it's your own decision.

And long term definitely is not limited to 3 month. You can craft the armor whenever you want and take as much time as you want.
The flaw is in the way you think. The special objective from WV is nothing important, you don't have to do them.
The are just a neat bonus, nothing else. In the end, it's mere 22g you get from the two legy armor special objectives.

If you feel urged to craft an obsidian armor piece within the next 3 months, you really should think about why you do that and hopefully you will recognize that the 22g bonus is not there to make you hurry.

1 hour ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

So? Not in game, 99% of people do not visit threads.

Wrong, it's 80%. Check the "80,20,5 rule".

However, this does not apply for information people seek before they buy something.
The large majority of people watch trailers or content lists before they choose to buy a game/expansion.

I personally knew nothing about existing either.

If you buy an expansion without checking what this expansion even contains, it's your own fault, not the seller's...

The Obsidian Armor was announced long before you could buy the expansion. And it was used to advertise the expansion.

You do not.

I don't know where your "apparently" comes from. By simply adding the costs of all WV items and comparing with how much AA you get from dailies/weeklies, you can clearly see that you do not need a single special objective do buy every item in the vault.
You don't even need every daily/weekly to do so.

So yeah, apparently, you are wrong.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

You can make 500g per month with casual play. That's what a get to these days. 

My casual day is:

IBS 5 + DS + SotO Strikes. 

Marionette + Ley line anomily + Battle for lions arch. 

Thats not even 2 hours of gameplay. 

Add the gold from WV. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

The collection for the armor was in the game when Soto launched and you could check Lyhr to know what materials will be needed, there also was a Wiki page quite early. 
I was able to finish the new legendary armor one day after it was in the game, like many others. 
The information was there for everyone, so don’t come crying if you chose to ignore it. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Lhyr got the whole recipe disclosed from the start of Soto. So we are looking at 9month to do a single piece, not that hard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

It was. From day one Lhyr had a list of all the components that you needed for the armour. Every step along the way. There were a couple of pieces that were listed as "undiscovered" at launch but it was obvious from context what those were (the Inner Nayos map completion item and the map currency) and the recipes were updated as they were "discovered". You can see those recipes now if you want.

There were no surprises at all and the game even sent you to Lhyr for other collections and achievements so people who were playing the game would have seen what was needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I didn't buy a single ecto for my obsidian armor. I simply kept all the ectos I got from playing and slowly but surely used them to make the essences.

Of course that's not instant gratification though so many people don't like this approach 😛

EDIT: Just for funsies, I checked my checklist for the obsidian armor. I started working on it December 6th 2023 and finished it February 28th 2024. Granted, by then I had already had a couple of the map currencies/meta items but not a lot and I had no other materials because I made other legendaries before this. So 3 months is really not too bad IMO for a full set of legendary armor.

Edited by Firefly.5982
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Yeah honestly after going through the math, I give up on it.

Your choice, have fun doing whatever else you want to do instead.
The information about the materials you need was mostly available ingame through legendary armor achievement and WT lyhr vendor, even if you didn't want to bother checking the wiki for it (which I guess is too much to do, while complaining on the forum about it is "k" -that's something I'll never be able to understand).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Your choice, have fun doing whatever else you want to do instead.
The information about the materials you need was mostly available ingame through legendary armor achievement and WT lyhr vendor, even if you didn't want to bother checking the wiki for it (which I guess is too much to do, while complaining on the forum about it is "k" -that's something I'll never be able to understand).

Well at my activity level, it will take many many years to finish.  So it's not happening. I'm so exhausted.

Glad everyone else is happy though.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Well at my activity level, it will take many many years to finish.  So it's not happening. I'm so exhausted.

That's, unfortunately, MMOs. The only way to keep people playing regularly for years is to have long grinds, because no team could ever generate enough new content.

I wish there were more multiplayer (not MMO) RPGs. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, and ones that are milder than M rating are even rarer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

I played about 2 hours on most days since the release of SotO. I did not play EVERY day, just most days. Most of what I did was daily metas, open chests with parked alts, and rift farming when I had time to spare.  I also bought motivations before they got to current prices. When convergences came out it only accelerated my acquisition of essences. I had all my major materials for all 3 obby sets a little over a month after the first major update to SotO. The only thing I was missing up to the recent release were the last things you buy from Liar using lesser vision crystals (I already had 18 ready to go) and the Gift of Nayos (I did 17 lantern runs and got 18th from story achievements) in one day. I'm now happily in the 'day one' club because I played regularly for the past... what is it now 7 months? I don't remember when SotO came out.

It is totally doable in a few months of casual play even now. It's just a little more expensive now because most people did not do the extensive prep I and others like me did prior to the armor's release. Most people waited to see the final product before committing time/resources. Ectos were a little cheaper back then. You can totally do it too if you want it. It just takes TIME. Time that I'm sure  you have, even from a casual standpoint. If you have time to post on  the forums, you have time to play the game. I recommend you play the game instead of the forums.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/19/2024 at 7:58 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

That's, unfortunately, MMOs. The only way to keep people playing regularly for years is to have long grinds, because no team could ever generate enough new content.

It's cheaper to get WvW legendaries.  It takes more time, in theory, and it's still a grind, but at least I know people will still be doing it three months from now.  I've already seen several SOTO metas fail for lack of players or lack of interest, and until they moved the lantern in Amnytas, I was getting nowhere on repeating map completion as nobody could be bothered to do Lyhr's event anymore even when asked.

Obviously, it's my fault for not stockpiling thousands of ectoplasm, etc. beforehand or doing whatever it is people do to make so much gold.  When I have time to play, I play for fun, and Obsidian Armor doesn't seem like a fun or feasible goal for me to have.  And honestly, I don't need it.  Legendary armor just isn't that useful to build an entire expansion's reward structure around.  As far as I'm concerned, at least.

I'm not mad at the developers or anybody who has their armor.  Good for you.  I tried.  I got a piece.  Maybe I'll try again.  But it's not fun or worth my time right now, which means SOTO is basically over as far as I'm concerned until the final story stuff drops.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1