Next-Level Fashion Wars: Cosmetic Inspect Coming to Guild Wars 2 April 16!

3 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Since when is hurting someone's feelings a bad reason. It's actually a strange comment in one of the most player friendly, considerate mmorpg I've ever played. And not even close to others. 

Just mention ow pvp or even something as standard as duelling and half of the player base goes through the roof just because they don't want to even see it.

I mean if this was LOL or any other game I might agree. But we're talking gw2 here. Player's feelings are top priority in this game. 

The point is that Anet makes changes to the game all the time that have negative impacts on people's feelings so it's absurd to think that this development is unique with that regard and somehow 'feelings' becomes some significant factor. 

From another perspective, the decision to add fashion inspect wasn't 'feelings' based in the first place, so it's unlikely to be affect by 'feeling-based' arguments to affect it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Amantiel.3542 said:

Because what the devs want is players and money, not caring about people having their feelings hurt cause someone can see their gear now.

I can get behind that trail of thought. Don't see why I would support it though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Amantiel.3542 said:

Suuuuuuuure, that's why people compared it to AI stealing art, cause they simply don't want it to be easier.

Again, it has always been possible to copy another's appearance choices. The only difference with this feature is the ease of doing so exactly. Can you quote whoever claims this is the same as AI stealing art (which is itself a ludicrous concept)?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Ashen.2907 said:

Again, it has always been possible to copy another's appearance choices. The only difference with this feature is the ease of doing so exactly. Can you quote whoever claims this is the same as AI stealing art?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I'm all for an opt-out but it's kinda funny seeing people think that other people actually spend time looking at their character. I personally have character model limits at low and I almost never care unless your look is truly bizzare like a glowing green frog or you're riding on some bright pink mount.  And even then I just turn postprocessing off.

It kinda makes me chuckle that people are gonna be so worried about being copied when they're probably not wearing anything particularly original. outfits, probably dyed in full Abyss dyes plus whatever infusions they managed to stack and whatever gen 1 legendary fits their weapon slot. Totally could not figure it out.

Even as someone that regularly gets complimented for their looks, because my characters are that beautiful,  I really don't care. That would just be flattery, and getting an ego boost is great! And if they really do lack creativity and personality, it won't matter and they will disappear into the character model settings- low anywys and not even be worth a mention.

That being said, someone once told me my weapon was ugly. That kept me awake at night. No, actually it was probably the caffeine.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Again, it has always been possible to copy another's appearance choices. The only difference with this feature is the ease of doing so exactly. Can you quote whoever claims this is the same as AI stealing art?

That doesn't make sense ... the offensive part to people is that it's easier for people to copy their fashion? That's a illogical argument because if you put a string of people in front of a fashion judge, the judge would have NO idea how hard or easy it was for those people to come up with their fashions, whether they were copied or not. 

Let's be honest here. The only issue is that people are offended they can be inspected. That's it. It has nothing to do with ease of copying. People that are so concerned with their fashion are GOING to spend as much time as they need to create their look, whether it was copied or not. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Amantiel.3542 said:

Not sure why anyone, especially ANet, should care that people don't support it because of their feelings.

Like I said, if this was any other game, I wouldn't really bring out player's feelings. I'm a pvp player at hearth, being told to throw myself of the cliff because I missed one shot in completely irrelevant public match is a normal day. My feelings don't get hurt.

But we're talking gw2 here. But yeah I could see how easier access to micro transactions can outweigh feelings even in this game.

• Confused 3

Just now, Cuks.8241 said:

Like I said, if this was any other game, I wouldn't really bring out player's feelings. I'm a pvp player at hearth, being told to throw myself of the cliff because I missed one shot in completely irrelevant public match is a normal day. My feelings don't get hurt.

But we're talking gw2 here. But yeah I could see how easier access to micro transactions can outweigh feelings even in this game.

There's ZERO difference between GW2 and any other MMO when it comes to this.

The hell do microtransactions have to do with this now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

That doesn't make sense ... the offensive part to people is that it's easier for people to copy their fashion? That's a illogical argument because if you put a string of people in front of a fashion judge, the judge would have NO idea how hard or easy it was for those people to come up with their fashions, whether they were copied or not. 

Let's be honest here. The only issue is that people are offended they can be inspected. That's it. It has nothing to do with ease of copying. People that are so concerned with their fashion are GOING to spend the time to create their look, whether it was copied or not. 

You are mistaken. It is already 100% possible to inspect someone's appearance and copy it. There is only one single difference added with this feature...the ease of the inspection.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Just now, Ashen.2907 said:

You are mistaken. It is already 100% possible to inspect someone's appearance and copy it. There is only one single difference added with this feature...the ease of the inspection.

And that ease is great for the vast majority and doesn't need to be limited cause a few people have their little feelings hurt cause someone MIGHT imitate their transmog in an MMORPG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

15 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Exactly. Again, my point is that someone is unable to judge if the person copying is using the inspection feature or not, so the argument about ease of inspection is absurd. 

If I'm going to take the time to copy someone's look, it's irrelevant to me how easy it is to figure it out. If I'm going to get angry because someone has a look that I created, it's irrelevant to me how easy it was for someone to mimic it. 

If the only argument is that people can inspect others fashion easily, they are going to have to provide a WAY more significant explanation for why that's actually a problem, especially if the game doesn't tell them they are being fashion inspected (it wasn't clear from the demo if that's the case or not). 

So, here is the final conclusion. If the only argument people are making is that it's too easy to be inspected, then Anet just needs to not tell people their fashion is being inspected in the first place. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Okay, this is getting circular. Feedback has been noted. 

If you want to discuss other parts of today's news post, please do so.  I'd rather not lock the thread. 

"Their mandate over the past few years has been to address player problems and introduce improvements to areas of the game, such as the new-player experience, crafting, and group encounters."

Y'all have me curious as to what changes you're looking at with crafting. :o

It's also very exciting to read about potential graphical updates and new tech. Hopefully, one day, those poor low poly, poor textured birds in core Tyria will get a face lift. 😂They're like the grapes of FFXIV. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

If you want to discuss other parts of today's news post, please do so.  I'd rather not lock the thread. 

I'd love to see performance improvement (outside of graphical improvements) if that's what the other part of the post implies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

FWIW, while I don't recall which update brought it the bar graphs in meta achievements was a terrific add. I saw that in the list of things mentioned in the news post -- Please extend my thanks to whomever on the UI team made that happen!

Edited by synk.6907
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Just to be clear, is it OK to post off topic for this thread which is specifically about just the inspect feature?

If so, Ive noted that the Candy Corn Gobbler seems to give only a tiny fraction of its previous yield in terms of XP boost. Is this intended functionality? It could be, in theory at least, just a very bad string of luck, but my sample size is rather large.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Confused 3

• ArenaNet Staff
7 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

It's also very exciting to read about potential graphical updates and new tech. Hopefully, one day, those poor low poly, poor textured birds in core Tyria will get a face lift. 😂They're like the grapes of FFXIV. 

😄😄😄 
I'm not aware of any plans for a low-poly bird stress ball but I guess I can check. 

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

I am enjoying these QoL updates. I do hope that there will also be a push to realign some of the content so it’s not so trivialised or skippable - I’m particularly thinking world bosses 

For example, Tequatl has aged well. Claw of Jormag has not - all its mechanics are no longer in operation

Mouth of Mordremoth is a significant boss, but again it is trivialised. The latter just needs scaling, but Jormag needs its mechanics to be made relevant and not skippable again. I understand power creep, but the above improvements feel like they’d fit with the ethos described in the blog post about maintaining a vibrant, relevant world

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

😄😄😄 
I'm not aware of any plans for a low-poly bird stress ball but I guess I can check. 

I am unironically asking for you to push this idea to the higher ups to make this happen. I am dying for merchandise, I only recently managed to find a TOPOP statue of my husband Rytlock from who knows how many years ago.

I NEED MORE MERCH

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Fashion Wars is certianly taking a whole new meaning.

In summary, trying to gatekeep fashion is really behavior unbecoming of our community. Anyone can earn and create any other possible look so some reactions are very silly.

LOVE the feature! Some people are too busy or don't see your message about what armor you're wearing so it cuts down on all missed connections.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 9

2 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

😄😄😄 

1 minute ago, Mewlyz.2153 said:

I am unironically asking for you to push this idea to the higher ups to make this happen. I am dying for merchandise, I only recently managed to find a TOPOP statue of my husband Rytlock from who knows how many years ago.

I NEED MORE MERCH

😂

I would quite unironically buy a low poly bird stress ball. So long as shipping wasn't like $20, lol.

I need to find the most egregious low-poly bird again. There was a really good one that I think is just a set piece somewhere that looks sooooooo bad. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I am enjoying these QoL updates. I do hope that there will also be a push to realign some of the content so it’s not so trivialised or skippable - I’m particularly thinking world bosses 

For example, Tequatl has aged well. Claw of Jormag has not - all its mechanics are no longer in operation

Mouth of Mordremoth is a significant boss, but again it is trivialised. The latter just needs scaling, but Jormag needs its mechanics to be made relevant and not skippable again. I understand power creep, but the above improvements feel like they’d fit with the ethos described in the blog post about maintaining a vibrant, relevant world

Would be awesome to see a Tequatl-style rework for Claw and Mouth.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3